Autopsy Geelong loses to PA in QF2 by about 6 goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda like the old "hahaha Cam, got suspended again hey?" crap of 2006, no ruthlessness, no accountability.
This.
For many of these guys it's just a job. Punch in, punch out. Pick up the cheque. Cant win premierships like that. When the heat's on they are out of the kitchen and in the closet.

Have to say that Cam Guthrie damaged his reputation in my eyes tonight. I saw him shirk the contest on multiple occasions. You wouldn't accept that kind of shit from an 18 year old playing their first final, let alone a 29-year-old veteran who is supposed to be one of your midfield leaders.

Not good enough.

Wowee. So its all Scott's fault that players do not kick straight. Kick the first three and pressure is on, we miss and its catch up. Henderson and Dangerfield dropping marks result in easy goals. That is on the players and not the coach.
Hawkins does not stand up in finals, he has had too many finals where he is missing easy shots, and then results to angry hawk wtf to miss the following week
We have an injury riddled season for a team that lacks depth (Danger, Dunc, Cameron etc have missed huge chunks of football)
Miers is selfish and does not convert enough when he takes the selfish option
Close stood up, and deserves kudos
Stanley had a very good game for a maligned player, but no one acknowledges this too busy blowing smoke up dangers gassed ass

Sans Selwood and the 1/5 finals we dont get enough of our upper echelon players in finals

And there is the old drafting dilemna when we are the only club giving away draft picks for free agents, and then gifting players to other top 4 teams

It's the same BS every year.. He is the coach it is his fault...

Didn’t expect to win but didn’t expect to play that badly.

Part of it was PA’s pressure but the majority of it was self inflicted.

Bad options, bad skills, poor intensity by some.

At the start of the game Hawk missed a shot he’d normally kick 9/10 times. Hendo was dropping marks he hasn’t dropped in two years. Defenders spoiling the ball into the path of PA players to run into goal.

Why did Dahlhaus and Simpson seem to be on Aliir at times? What were we trying to achieve? Why was Henry on Dixon in a few contests? Why was Rohan kicking torps from FB? Why is Smith the only player who gets the ball and immediately looks to move it?

Like the last Q last week, we have too many defenders who don’t want the ball in their hands. It kills momentum time and time again. That bit of play in Q2 where Kolo held onto the ball for too long and then kicked it straight to Aliir which set up a goal said it all.

Incredibly disappointed with players we have the right to expect more from: Guthrie, Menegola, I’m looking at you.

I think we are on the right side of the draw for the SF - would rather play the winner of Swans/GWS than Dogs/Bombers. A prelim at a neutral ground against Dees/Lions is certainly not insurmountable either.

We can turn this around if we want to. But do we??

Not fair to single out players, it was a horrible performance from the entire group.

But Henderson is shot. It’s still raw, but they cannot take him into a semi next week. All the pressure back on C Scott now - if he takes that 22 (apart from injuries) into next week, the opposition will simply do what Port did tonight ……. Kill Geelong with leg speed.

Clark and Narkle are names that come to mind, but can’t see them being picked.

De Koning or Krueger need to replace Henderson. Sad way to go out but he is cooked.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

2. The lack of composure across this team when the hear goes on is seriously frightening. And the way it spreads like a contagion once one or two begin the fumblefest is absolutely embarrassing.
I've said this before but got mocked a bit but what we need is a mindfulness coach. Look at other teams doing group breathing exercises. Read about what some of the Richmond players say about meditation.

They have too many ideas in their head to process them. They need to develop the skill of clearing their heads.

It sounds weird to a lot of people, but we need Brett Kirk

Hats off to Port. They played a very smart game tonight and brought the intensity. Actually felt like they beat us at our own game. We were truly appalling. Nothing positive to take out of that. The only ray of hope the fact that we were in the same spot last year. That sort of performance should be inexcusable for any final, yet it seems to be a regular occurrence. Something clearly isn't working. I've been of the view that we were unlikely to see us firing this early in this finals series. I hope we can turn things around. But that was putrid. No intensity. No synergy. No vision. Unable to perform the basics. Hard to come back from.

Hard to argue with this:

Ok, 3 successive wins for a flag.
Guthrie did not try all night
That's an improvement for starters that can be made.
Hendo I'll forgive. He tried, just had a night to forget.
Smith put in
Close terrific
Hawk and Cameron never stood a chance.
Dahlhaus a shocker
Simpson not bad
Stanley beat Lycett
Henry was unbelievable
Duncan first game back a great game from him considering
Selwood tried all night as always
Danger gave about 2 good quarters
It's time for a revolt and asking a forward to join the coaching ranks.
Too negative
See if Gaz snr can talk to the boys re forward attacking
Even Dougie Wade or my good alias self.
Hit the scoreboard
close was not terrific. Did not create one avenue to goal. He put in though. He tried. Far from terrfic. Very limited skill set.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone who thinks simply sacking Scott and replacing him will bare fruit is simply wrong. This isn't down to 1 man but to the entire club. It's cultural and ingrained.
Sacking and replacing Scott without any other changes is what Carlton would do.
We want change, we need wholesale change, and honestly it simply won't happen when those at the top view finishing top 4, regardless of competitiveness in finals, as successful and celebratory.
Your not wrong. We're a business now. It's all we are.
Scott is just happens to be the perfect spokesman for a business.
Has middle management speak and the incompetence that comes with it down to a tee.

Plenty had shockers but Cam Guthrie was most disappointing for me. Genuinely just chasing shit stats these days. His fail to chase Burton at CHF late was embarrassing.

Close excellent, really really good and Jack Henry is a star.

I agree it's debatable. That's the thing with soft factors like "mental strength". They're a real aspect of footy, but it's very difficult to make quantifiable statements about them, so we're left with nothing but conjecture. It's my subjective assessment of Scott-coached sides. I could be wrong of course, but I suspect I'm not. At this point I just don't think it's reasonable to say these meek mental displays in finals year after year under his watch are a coincidence.

Mentally fragile might be an exaggeration.

But I'm almost convinced that they don't truly believe in their ability to execute their game plan under finals pressure.

Team who is crap at finals recruits Gary Rohan and Sean Higgins.
The 2 players most unsuited for finals footy in the history of football.
Wonders why they are unlucky.
Watches Motlop and Caddy beat them in finals and believes their recruiting strategy 100% works.
What does that tell you honestly. I'm not sure why motlop was moved on (maybe he went himself I can't remember) but it's a damning fact that he kicked more goals in a final than the man we spent 3 first round picks on to pinch a flag.

Kenny H obviously is better in getting that sort of performance from his players than our guy.

I've said this before but got mocked a bit but what we need is a mindfulness coach. Look at other teams doing group breathing exercises. Read about what some of the Richmond players say about meditation.

They have too many ideas in their head to process them. They need to develop the skill of clearing their heads.

It sounds weird to a lot of people, but we need Brett Kirk
Maybe. Or maybe a couple of them need to be knocked the **** out in a Hawthorn style boxing situation. Absolutely no mongrel or edge amongst the lot of them except maybe O'Connor. Chappy and Max Rooke spinning in their graves.

If this club has any respect for itself then if we dont win the flag from here then Scott needs to be gone the day after we exit finals. Nothing else needs be said.
Ridiculous statement. Was CS responsible for half of Port's goals from our turnovers? And Hawkins missing his first shot?

It’s hard to believe a team that is coached to play an uncontested style of football shits the bed in finals when the pressure is turned up. Hard to believe for the coaching staff anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm disappointed but how did we lead arguable the greatest team of the last decade late into the third quarter if our style can't play finals. I mean you do realise we had to win two finals to get there including smashing brisbane in brisbane. If it's all the way we play how can we make GF's its a moronic assessment.

Blinding. I also broke my leg once and sat in the front seat of a daihatsu charade for two hours on the drive to the hospital holding my foot in one hand and my leg in the other trying keep them lined up because they weren't connected. While that was overall worse because of the prolonged nature, the intensity wasn't close to the drill

I can imagine, anything to do with teeth is hardcore once the nerves are exposed.

Now you need a kidney stone to compare!

Hope he bounces back next week... but that was the softest game I've seen from Guthrie.

He just let people run off him at will and squibbed the contest when it came time to compete. Was pretty disheartening to watch

Ended up with 17 possessions with only 55m gained.

I think the only possession I saw with which he moved the ball forward a fair distance was a 40m kick in the last quarter which went out on the full. Story of his night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back