Autopsy Geelong loses to PA in QF2 by about 6 goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn’t expect to win but didn’t expect to play that badly.

Part of it was PA’s pressure but the majority of it was self inflicted.

Bad options, bad skills, poor intensity by some.

At the start of the game Hawk missed a shot he’d normally kick 9/10 times. Hendo was dropping marks he hasn’t dropped in two years. Defenders spoiling the ball into the path of PA players to run into goal.

Why did Dahlhaus and Simpson seem to be on Aliir at times? What were we trying to achieve? Why was Henry on Dixon in a few contests? Why was Rohan kicking torps from FB? Why is Smith the only player who gets the ball and immediately looks to move it?

Like the last Q last week, we have too many defenders who don’t want the ball in their hands. It kills momentum time and time again. That bit of play in Q2 where Kolo held onto the ball for too long and then kicked it straight to Aliir which set up a goal said it all.

Incredibly disappointed with players we have the right to expect more from: Guthrie, Menegola, I’m looking at you.

I think we are on the right side of the draw for the SF - would rather play the winner of Swans/GWS than Dogs/Bombers. A prelim at a neutral ground against Dees/Lions is certainly not insurmountable either.

We can turn this around if we want to. But do we??

Crazy to think we are potentially 25% the way into another period of failure like that one.

Yep.

Remember thinking this can't go on much longer, the worm has got to turn, but the years flew by and I sincerely thought I'd never see a premiership. Then we had 2007.

It was euphoric.

But the last ten years are now picking at old scars.

Someone before tonight's game said this has been a long long season and we have tired old legs and that we are out of puff.

I think he was correct.

I

And this is why last year gets too much credit. The season and quarters were drastically shortened so older legs were still relatively fresh by finals time. Eve though they lost that QF to Port, they were in the game throughout most of it.

As it stands right now, we look incredibly slow. We are the oldest team in the finals by some mileage. Port had a young and youthful team tonight and it showed. They completely ran us off our feet just as Melbourne did last week.

I think we have to hope GWS beat Sydney because Sydney's run and carry has been tremendous this year. They would be right in it next week if we meet each other.

Brisbane won tonight?
If they win tomorrow night they get a home prelim in Brisbane

I said nothing is surer of that happening..

Is anyone surprised about Rohan though? Seriously!
I don't know how many times I have posted his finals record only to be shut down and told the opposite.

Gary Rohan is one of the worst finals performers in recent memory. Some athletes crave the spotlight and want to embrace the moment, Rohan is simply not one of them and never will be.

One of?

Open challenge - name a worse one.

... must not pOST WHEN ANGRY ...

<insert Lou Ferrigno gif>

Well done Tom Hawkins on 300 games.

And seriously, that was an ultra-professional effort from Mitch Duncan.

But this team ...... this team has become too conservative, too system-based; no dare, no imagination.

Our ball movement was staid and predictable.

Port streeeeeeetched us to breaking point out wide all night, then sat back and licked their lips when we attempted to do the same, picking us off like American Buffalo.

Patrick Dangerfield, Gary Rohan, Jake Kolodjashnij - these blokes have played heaps of finals - with diminishing returns.
The gap between H&A Dangerfield and Finals Dangerfield has never been wider; he did his reputation active harm tonight. He is our modern Mark Bairstow.

Most eerie of all was Joel Selwood's half-resigned vibe - he put his head over the ball, ran back with the flight, did his best to inspire - but it was almost as if he knew deep down that he just didn't have the troops to rally.

Jack Henry was great, in that futile kinda way that Mick Mansfield was great in 94/95.

Lachie Henderson played one of the all-time terrible finals; must be close to the worst I've seen from a Geelong player.
He was caught HTB early on trying on the same type of smart arse biz that he has gotten away with all H&A season, pirouetting in a tackle - but tonight it only evoked in me memories of a famous call when Andrew Bews was caught trying to waltz it out of defense in the 1989 GF - ''that's Home and Away stuff!".
Not good.
Henderson has been hanging on by a thread for much of this season; consistently beaten in the air by taller opponents but regularly counter-punching gamely through sheer chutzpah - the last couple of weeks though his luck has run out.

Cam Guthrie's purple patch has faded to a pale mauve.

Luke Dahlhaus played ok..... for Luke Dahlhaus.
Look at the forward-flankers during our all-too-brief glory years: Chapman, Johnson - hell, even Monty Byrnes.
I will never knock Dahlhaus' commitment or willingness to risk his neck, but he has zero impact with ball in hand; in fact opposition coaches would be more than happy to concede him possession.

Gryan Miers may well be one of the worst field kicks in the comp. He tried, yes, even risked his neck a couple of times.

We've become like the NBA's San Antonio Spurs post Tim Duncan's retirement and Kawhi Leonard's defection; a team that regularly puts itself in a position to compete in playoffs through a combination of well-worn ''system'' and a strong coach in Popovich - but those teams never really threatened to add to their Titles. And neither have we.

Straight Sets is a distinct possibility, and probably a likelihood - along with the Dogs we are the most out of form team in this finals series.

I wonder where this team sits in terms of potentially being the worst-performed finals side in history given our opportunities.

Chris Scott has previously made the cunning point that every year is different, different factors/opposition/22/availability etc etc - well, just as Gary Rohan is sure to put in a string of stinkers come September, Chris Scott coached teams are likely to LOSE Qualifying Finals - sure, there are variables year after year, but there is one common factor.

Afraid to say Frank passed away, RIP.
We had a match committee and admin who were ruthlessly competitive and never rested on their laurels because they HAD to work hard to get any traction at all.
Now Carter brought back the old Geelong, Cook is sitting back on his empire and ready to retire, Scott and Lloyd offer zero intensity when finals comes around and I seriously question our ability to develop players or a system that not only can handle finals pressure, but relish it.
We are a reactive club, always sitting back and seeing what happens, that old club, the 3 Premierships club, they went out on the front foot and thrived in finals football. They demanded you play their way and never took a backwards step from the contest.
Complete mirror image of what we have today.
KPIs - membership numbers, merch .......................................... top4, ............................................................... crickets

Wowee. So its all Scott's fault that players do not kick straight. Kick the first three and pressure is on, we miss and its catch up. Henderson and Dangerfield dropping marks result in easy goals. That is on the players and not the coach.
Hawkins does not stand up in finals, he has had too many finals where he is missing easy shots, and then results to angry hawk wtf to miss the following week
We have an injury riddled season for a team that lacks depth (Danger, Dunc, Cameron etc have missed huge chunks of football)
Miers is selfish and does not convert enough when he takes the selfish option
Close stood up, and deserves kudos
Stanley had a very good game for a maligned player, but no one acknowledges this too busy blowing smoke up dangers gassed ass

Sans Selwood and the 1/5 finals we dont get enough of our upper echelon players in finals

And there is the old drafting dilemna when we are the only club giving away draft picks for free agents, and then gifting players to other top 4 teams

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never fun to lose a game, a final but at least if you play your best and get beaten by a better team, well it’s something. To play well below your best and lose is very disappointing. Not sure why but we have dropped off a bit in the last few weeks- Losing to gws was a good pointer. Cameron’s hammy is not right. danger was not right. Joel is struggling. A few others are done- hendo, Dalhouse Higgins. Guthrie hasn’t been the same since returning from injury. Kolo is a serviceable backman who needs Stewart to help him be serviceable. Close is tired.
Henry, Duncan, parfitt tried hard. Smith tried all night. Simpson lost his feet a few times. Menegola improved, but not enough. Rohan was better down the back. Atkins and miers ? Not much fun for tommy in his 300th but he’s a champion who has seen a lot of success.
Port were very good, but I figure if Powell pepper, Motlop and Dixon are looking ok, well, you must be doing something wrong. Maybe they’ll go all the way -can’t see it but won’t mind too much if they win it. But go dees.
Hard to see us regrouping but you never know. Comon cats.

I might join Bomber T. and take up woodwork.

It's gotta be better than watching GFC in finals.

i actually went camping tonight, just checked the scores. I knew we weren’t going to get close after last weeks loss. I think we are done.

Ok. Thanks. I stand corrected. Mustn't have been shown on the footage I was watching.
I was watching on Fox and they were focused on interviewing Fantasia & Boak

It was only when Boak said about Hawkins that the camera changed to that footage - seemed that they were only worried about Port fans which was disappointing

Though I know a few times that our guys have played in matches where it's been milestones for the opposition, that they've stopped interviews or not started them to give full respect to the opposition

The season ended at training on Thursday the 12th of August. We have not covered Stewart and cannot. And what little drive out of defence we had left went with Tuohy's hamstring. Injuries can cruel a season.

Looking at the bigger picture, Geelong has managed to defy the AFL system. Teams don't spend a decade in the top four after multiple flags. The whole point of the salary cap and draft is to prevent that from happening. So credit is due to the creative recruitment, maintenance of a good culture, and sustained excellence in coaching. It was a gallant effort and impressive in ambition but ultimately fell just short of delivering a premiership. Now it's time for the club to reassess.

Henry was good tonight, and Close impressed in his first final. I'd like to see Holmes get a game next week, so he gets a taste of finals football.

Was going to post this in the MVP thread but worried I'd get banned...

Games like this are why I'm not a fan of the 1 - 5 vote system. Prefer having 15 (or whatever) votes to spread however you choose. Henry deserves all 15 tonight. Actually, I'd chuck a couple Duncan's way, but how can you find 5 blokes to give votes to tonight?

The AFL website managed to find 5 players.
And it’s extremely cringe worthy and inaccurate.

Duncan, Smith, Dangerfield, Henry, Parfitt

Yes you read that right, Dangerfield

I have to go to work for 14 hours on 3 hrs sleep so im starting this early.

MY body wont let me do this sh*t much longer. Too hard at this age lol.

WE lost.

Badly.

Like very badly.

MOC done for the year.

We didnt show up in a Final again - guess this is why we get double chances for whatever thats worth.

Smith, Parfitt, Close, Henry prob the best.

The rest were poor.

Feel bad for Tomma that the team could not perform as a unit for him - he deserved that at least.

Talk about the loss but dont play the man.
Trolling wont be tolerated.

GO Catters

feel bad for Tomma? Mate he started the rot with a miss from dead in front. You’re surely taking the piss….

... must not pOST WHEN ANGRY ...

Well done Tom Hawkins on 300 games.

And seriously, that was an ultra-professional effort from Mitch Duncan.

But this team ...... this team has become too conservative, too system-based; no dare, no imagination.

Our ball movement was staid and predictable.

Port streeeeeeetched us to breaking point out wide all night, then sat back and licked their lips when we attempted to do the same, picking us off like American Buffalo.

Patrick Dangerfield, Gary Rohan, Jake Kolodjashnij - these blokes have played heaps of finals - with diminishing returns.
The gap between H&A Dangerfield and Finals Dangerfield has never been wider; he did his reputation active harm tonight. He is our modern Mark Bairstow.

Most eerie of all was Joel Selwood's half-resigned vibe - he put his head over the ball, ran back with the flight, did his best to inspire - but it was almost as if he knew deep down that he just didn't have the troops to rally.

Jack Henry was great, in that futile kinda way that Mick Mansfield was great in 94/95.

Lachie Henderson played one of the all-time terrible finals; must be close to the worst I've seen from a Geelong player.
He was caught HTB early on trying on the same type of smart arse biz that he has gotten away with all H&A season, pirouetting in a tackle - but tonight it only evoked in me memories of a famous call when Andrew Bews was caught trying to waltz it out of defense in the 1989 GF - ''that's Home and Away stuff!".
Not good.
Henderson has been hanging on by a thread for much of this season; consistently beaten in the air by taller opponents but regularly counter-punching gamely through sheer chutzpah - the last couple of weeks though his luck has run out.

Cam Guthrie's purple patch has faded to a pale mauve.

Luke Dahlhaus played ok..... for Luke Dahlhaus.
Look at the forward-flankers during our all-too-brief glory years: Chapman, Johnson - hell, even Monty Byrnes.
I will never knock Dahlhaus' commitment or willingness to risk his neck, but he has zero impact with ball in hand; in fact opposition coaches would be more than happy to concede him possession.

Gryan Miers may well be one of the worst field kicks in the comp. He tried, yes, even risked his neck a couple of times.

We've become like the NBA's San Antonio Spurs post Tim Duncan's retirement and Kawhi Leonard's defection; a team that regularly puts itself in a position to compete in playoffs through a combination of well-worn ''system'' and a strong coach in Popovich - but those teams never really threatened to add to their Titles. And neither have we.

Straight Sets is a distinct possibility, and probably a likelihood - along with the Dogs we are the most out of form team in this finals series.

I wonder where this team sits in terms of potentially being the worst-performed finals side in history given our opportunities.

Chris Scott has previously made the cunning point that every year is different, different factors/opposition/22/availability etc etc - well, just as Gary Rohan is sure to put in a string of stinkers come September, Chris Scott coached teams are likely to LOSE Qualifying Finals - sure, there are variables year after year, but there is one common factor.

On the NBA point, reckon danger has a bit of James Harden about him?

Super player who is a shadow of himself when the rubber meets the road

Just going to wait for the posts confidently declaring that despite us being a kick after the siren away from winning the minor premiership, we actually overachieved during the H&A and are really just lucky to be playing finals. Just as we have been the past 10 or so seasons. :$
Nailed it for us.
No short quarters this year.
No short season this year.
Straight sets is imminent. GWS and Swans both know how to trouble us.
Pretty certain we will find out that we were not right this week- the short preparation and isolation is hardly ideal.
Who knows if Danger's tummy upset did not spread to others.
'Have not seen us as a unit look so flat .
A statement that our very best player was a guy who has had 10 weeks rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back