Resource General Footy History thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Some bloke called Darren Smith with 3 goals. Dunstall standing some bloke called Delaney.

Edit: Was this the only SoO game Cahill coached? He also coached the SANFL v TFL debacle in 1995 if I recall correctly. But he did manage to guide Port's win over the ACT that same season when we had a bye.

I was at that game, the Vics really stretched the SOO rules to put a side together that was going to win. And they smashed us. I think Ablett pulled out but they Had Lockett, Dunstall and Daniher forward already. Brereton was on the bench.

Port were playing North back in SA that day, North were red hot back then and we were trying find out who won the game. We ran into Roger Delaney in a night club late that night, three sheets to the wind. But we figured he would know so we asked him who won the game. He said Port won by 80 points. It sounded unlikely but we were keen to believe. We said Really, how did you find out? And he held up some keys and said My magic keys told me.

Anyway we found a Sunday mail in Bordertown the next day and turns out Roger's magic keys were telling the truth.

The first state game I ever saw live was SA v WA in 1980 when I was 7.

SA won convincingly, but I've never located any youtube footage of it or barely any written info on line about ir.

It's almost like it's the forgotten state gsme.

The first state game I ever saw live was SA v WA in 1980 when I was 7.

SA won convincingly, but I've never located any youtube footage of it or barely any written info on line about ir.

It's almost like it's the forgotten state gsme.
Yeah unfortunately most of that era's footage went up in smoke when the old channel nine building in North Adelaide burnt down. A Lot of great Port footage was lost then also.
My first state game was 1973 SA V VIC, Jesaulinko kicked 10 goals.

Remember SA v Tassie late 1970's?
Watched it on TV.
Russell Ebert took two speccies riding on the top of the pack near the wing. Stupid field umpire took both of them off of him for jumping too early??????
Never been able to source video of that match ever since.

Yeah unfortunately most of that era's footage went up in smoke when the old channel nine building in North Adelaide burnt down. A Lot of great Port footage was lost then also.
My first state game was 1973 SA V VIC, Jesaulinko kicked 10 goals.
Ahh yes, that makes sense, 9 were doing SANFL in 1980, and at a guess there's probably less on youtube from that year, compared to other seasons in the last 45 years.

Still, often individual people upload game footage onto youtube - in the SANFL's case, "Footy Film SA".The guy who ran that youtube channel I don't think was affiliated with any TV station (but then again perhaps he worked for a production company or outlet that sold video footage).

Ahh yes, that makes sense, 9 were doing SANFL in 1980, and at a guess there's probably less on youtube from that year, compared to other seasons in the last 45 years.

Still, often individual people upload game footage onto youtube - in the SANFL's case, "Footy Film SA".The guy who ran that youtube channel I don't think was affiliated with any TV station (but then again perhaps he worked for a production company or outlet that sold video footage).
I heard an interesting story (don't know if its true or not) but someone rescued a huge amount of tapes that were being thrown away that contained a lot of SANFL coverage.

At a later date they were put onto a YouTube channel.

Forgot to put this in here 6 months ago.

The Wookie at this post on the Footy Industry board 2003 Crowds and TV streaming thread #4,850 put a post in with video of a Foster's International Cup game - at BC Place Vancouver which has been home to two VFL/AFL post season exhibition matches. On the 9th October 1987, Melbourne played Sydney there in front of a still record non Australian VFL/AFL crowd of 32,789 (this was followed 9 days later by a much more sedate 7,980 for North Melbourne v Melbourne)

I responded with the following post and video of a long forgotten state game between SA and WA in October 1988 at BC Place in Vancouver. What I didn't say in my post was that John Georgiades played at CHF for WA and this was 5 months before he made his famous 8 goal debut for Footscray against Carlton at Waverley Park and Footscray won by 10 goals. And I forgot to say is that I felt sorry for that Canadian sports broadcaster who had to try and understand K.G. speak for over 2 hours.

Here's another fun fact about BC Place and footy.

It hosted SA v WA state game on 29th October 1988. See Video below, full game, and I have posted the notes from the video

I was living in Toronto at the time, there was no news in the papers or the 24 hour sports channel TSN about the game, but a couple of weeks earlier, the final of the Foster's International Cup between Hawthorn and Collingwood was played at Uni of Toronto's gridiron team's ( Toronto Varsity Blues) home field in downtown Toronto ie just north of the CBD on Sunday 16th October. They got 18,571 people attending. It was a pretty full stadium, I think official capacity was 21,000.

I went to that game and it got decent media coverage, especially in the Toronto Sun and I have kept the 7 or 8 pages from the paper the day after the game, and have them somewhere in my storage boxes. A good mate I played footy with at uni, was studying in Kingston, about 4 hours drive east of Toronto, came to town, we watched the game, caught up with other Aussies, then went and watched Midnight Oil and Yothu Yindi play at Maple Leaf Gardens about 3 hours after the game ended.

Contains the entire game which was played in Vancouver, Canada. The reduced size of the field meant the teams were reduced to 15 players aside. The artificial surface forced all players to wear knee pads. The game is very fast and free flowing and exciting, with the outcome still uncertain in the final minutes. Sadly for South Australia and Glenelg, Chirs McDermott suffered a serious knee injury during this game. [scores were tied with a couple of minutes to go and WA won by 7 pts.]

The McDermott injury was the first thing that popped into my mind re the Canada game.

I can't really recall the coverage of his injury in the media, and the inevitability that Glenelg would miss him......but I then thought about the game being at end of 1988 season, and then recalled that Glenelg played in 4 consecutive grand finals from 85 to 88. They then missed the '89 (1 goal in mind) grand Final and it made me think that it could be coincidental, but more than likely McDermott injury had a significant effect on the Bays' 1989 season.

Also. thinking about Georgiades Snr, if he was perhaps a year or 2 younger, he may have been in the group of zone players that the Eagles were able to recruit, and perhaps he could have had a longer career in the AFL and perhaps even played 100 games, which would probably adelaide Georgiades a father/son tied to the Eagles. All hypothetical, sliding-doors, but it's funny what can come into one's mind when recalling a game from a number of decades ago.

Resource General Footy History thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back