Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think that there are more important positional priorities.
Such as?

Ruck and inside mid look like being addressed via Grundy and Hopper so it seems.

So it "Seems".
Not sure what's confusing there? Thought that's how trading works. Players leaving and where to get reported on late in season and then it all happens in October.

Was interested in where you think we need to focus on.

Has Grundy shown he can play forward?

I can't really recall.

I doubt we will get him with Cegalr and Stanley still contracted next season anyway.

If we did, maybe Grundy is the #1 ruck for about two years and then pushes forward more when Hawkins hangs them up and Conway (fingers crossed) becomes ready to take over as a pure leading ruckman.

I just don't see it working if Grundy can't play forward... Because we don't necessarily need him next year in the ruck and then with Conway coming through, we may not need him in the last couple of years of his contract (unless played forward).

Time will tell.

I rate Grundy, but it just doesn't mesh for mine unless it's just such a good deal for us that we can't say no.
I raised this a while back. I remember a game when Grundy was floating forward a lot, during his peak years, and he was man handling them like a Tomahawk. But he's never really torn a game apart as a Key Forward.

Haven’t we been down this path before? From memory it didn’t go well.
The only players of Grundy’s quality we have brought in are Dangerfield and Cameron. Can’t ignore quality.

The only players of Grundy’s quality we have brought in are Dangerfield and Cameron. Can’t ignore quality.
No ruck we've drafted or recruited since Ottens has come close to commanding the contract Grundy has. Wheat and chaff.

When was the last time Grundy was quality?

Collingwood are looking to get rid of him and are happy to pay him to play for someone else. Let that sink in for a second.

Collingwood are looking to get rid of him and are happy to pay him to play for someone else. Let that sink in for a second.

There‘s more at plat than it simplying being ”Collingwood are looking to get rid of him”

Collingwood is also looking to try & clear cap space - Grundy is reportedly on $1million a year, with suggestions that Collingwood is happy to pay up to $300k per year of his contract if another team is willing to stump up a suitable trade

That clears $700k off their books for the next 5 years; maybe they feel they can better cover the ruck position in his absence & utilise money him moving on opens up in other positions that they believe are a more pressing need for the team

I don’t really know what your argument is. If you dispute his quality I can’t help you. If you’re worried about his injuries then let the medical people take care of that.

I don’t really know what your argument is. If you dispute his quality I can’t help you. If you’re worried about his injuries then let the medical people take care of that.
My argument is:
  • he used to be good, there is no evidence that he is still good
  • why would we help Collingwood solve a problem? If they want to get rid of him then make them pay more of the contract, otherwise let him be someone else’s problem
  • I fear that the game has passed him by and I do not want him on our books for 5 years. 5 years is a hell of a long time.

There‘s more at plat than it simplying being ”Collingwood are looking to get rid of him”

Collingwood is also looking to try & clear cap space - Grundy is reportedly on $1million a year, with suggestions that Collingwood is happy to pay up to $300k per year of his contract if another team is willing to stump up a suitable trade

That clears $700k off their books for the next 5 years; maybe they feel they can better cover the ruck position in his absence & utilise money him moving on opens up in other positions that they believe are a more pressing need for the team
I understand why it makes sense for Collingwood. The salary cap machinations are fairly simple but thanks for explaining.

What I don’t understand is why we would facilitate this for Collingwood unless it was heavily weighted in our favour. And 5 years for $700k does not meet my definition of heavily weighted in our favour.

My argument is:
Is it because he is injured and you are unsure how will come back from injury that's making you doubt him?

Because he played 6 games this year and whilst being down on his AA best... He still had stats that we'd be drooling over if it was Stanley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what's confusing there? Thought that's how trading works. Players leaving and where to get reported on late in season and then it all happens in October.

Was interested in where you think we need to focus on.
KPD and extractor mids.

Stephen Rowe was adamant again on his radio show tonight that PA were into a speedy cat's small fwd from Geelong. And an announcement would be soon. Assuming soon as the cat's are done in the finals....
Should one of the small forwards miss the GF... I suspect he will be the one targeted.

The stats for the 6 games he played at the start of the year were still much better than what Stanley has ever produced.

Not sure if Grundy can get back to peak or near peak form though.

If he can, he is a very, very, very good ruckman.
5 years for $700k is a steep price to pay to have a gamble on him getting back to anywhere near peak form.

I am on the record as saying that we should pass. This is the sort of contract that if it goes wrong will cripple your cap for years. The risk is just too high when we aren’t desperate to do the deal.

Is it because he is injured and you are unsure how will come back from injury that's making you doubt him?

Because he played 6 games this year and whilst being down on his AA best... He still had stats that we'd be drooling over if it was Stanley.
Yes.

He came back from a long term injury and almost immediately had a stress fracture in his ankle. He is a 28 year old ruckman with a lot of miles on the clock.

Taking him on for 5 years would be madness.

5 years for $700k is a steep price to pay to have a gamble on him getting back to anywhere near peak form.

I am on the record as saying that we should pass. This is the sort of contract that if it goes wrong will cripple your cap for years. The risk is just too high when we aren’t desperate to do the deal.
I’d back the club medicos to be very careful in their medical assessment

I still think he won’t be coming here personally anyway

KPD and extractor mids.
That's what Hopper is surely? ave 6 clearances in '19, 3.7 in '20 (covid shortened matches), 6.3 in '21 and 4.7 in '22.

KPD is understandable but by the same logic where you wanted to wait for '23 to unfold for Dempsey and Knevitt before we chase a wingman shouldn't we wait and see how Ratugolea goes before pursuing the KPD route? Kolo is only 26. Henry is 23. De Koning is 21.

I think Pure has touched on it earlier, with 2 likely rookie upgrades and pursuing free agents and trade we may only be selecting 1-2 players draft night with what our intentions look like being in the off-season.

Yep grundy is a clear upgrade on our rucks is a gun. And i agree on your price 700k and a late R1.
But i would want a VERY thorough medical i dont want another hmac scenario.
We need to remember Grundy was bog ordinary in 2020 and 2021. Even if Collingwood pay $300k he'll be on Blicavs, Stewart and Danger type money at geelong. It's huge money by our standards. Justified at his best but he needs to be at his best.

And it'll cost us picks. And it'll make giving Conway/Neale/other young talls games more difficult. And it'll mean Stanley who is now a very solid ruck is just a backup (or we're playing one of them forward which neither are great at). And it's a 5-year contract!!!

If he'd shown any ability up forward I'd be much more keen since he could give us cover as a Hawkins replacement. But he hasn't at all. Paying up big for Grundy screams of solving a prior problem after it's solved. If we're talking bringing someone in for a late first Hopper and Henry make much more sense and will come for far less cap space.

The question needs to be asked if trading Grundy to clear $700k and say a late first makes sense for Collingwood why would we want to be on the other side of that? Our ruck division is better than theirs without Grundy and has more depth.

If we really think our ruck will be an issue in the future why don't we go after TDK or Sam Draper at the end of next year when they're out of contract? They wouldn't require a $700k 5-year contract and could give us closer to 10 years of service.

We need to remember Grundy was bog ordinary in 2020 and 2021. Even if Collingwood pay $300k he'll be on Blicavs, Stewart and Danger type money at geelong. It's huge money by our standards. Justified at his best but he needs to be at his best.

And it'll cost us picks. And it'll make giving Conway/Neale/other young talls games more difficult. And it'll mean Stanley who is now a very solid ruck is just a backup (or we're playing one of them forward which neither are great at). And it's a 5-year contract!!!

If he'd shown any ability up forward I'd be much more keen since he could give us cover as a Hawkins replacement. But he hasn't at all. Paying up big for Grundy screams of solving a prior problem after it's solved. If we're talking bringing someone in for a late first Hopper and Henry make much more sense and will come for far less cap space.
Agree with the above. Would be somewhat keen if it was a 3 year contract. 5 years isto much risk

My argument is:
  • why would we help Collingwood solve a problem? If they want to get rid of him then make them pay more of the contract, otherwise let him be someone else’s problem
  • I fear that the game has passed him by and I do not want him on our books for 5 years. 5 years is a hell of a long time.
I'm not the most optimistic about a Grundy trade but that is pretty pessimistic.

• He might not get back to 100% but he's probably still going to be good.
• Solving Collingwoods cap problem is a two way street, we'd get him cheaper.
• This is just the first point again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back