Rumour GFC 2023 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we are now getting into the season and we are starting to get a bit more serious with discussion, seems a suitable time to post the following as it's repeatedly shown itself to be a value reference tool in trade & draft discussion

And as per normal, thanks to Lore for putting this together - always a fantastic reference tool

And yes this post is now stickied - makes it easy to keep track of (can easily reverse this though if needed)

IF we have a clean out .....Considering the age of certain players ... guys like Kolo are probably on the edge being around when we come back up... at 28 ... if we could move him out id not be adverse to it . Something tells me it would take a big change in attitude to do it, but considering the picks that are being thrown around for defenders... id at least test the market.

Obviously anyone over 30 will be looking over their shoulder but those guys will not gather picks.

We definitely need to add to our tall stocks...in fact we need talent. There is not one area that Im confident we have covered at the moment.. and we only have one pick.

I guess we can thank our lucky stars we kept our R1.

Last edited:
Like on Kolodjashnij performance, yes it was a stinker tonight, the last few weeks he had to.play on Rioli and Cameron, not the ideal player to play on them... I think there are other players who deserve to go rather than him, let's just take a chill pill on him and back him in for 2024
It’s not on one game though, he has performed some good shut down roles in the past. But he’s too slow for those players you mentioned and he can’t play on talls. But the biggest issue is he turns the ball over whenever he’s near it. It’s not just when he has the ball but he spoils the ball back into dangerous areas. We do need another couple of small defenders. But Kolo’s role can be played by Guthrie, Henry, Stewart he’s not needed in the team.

Disappointing season especially after last year. Of course injuries didn't help plus our ageing playing list but I think our backline was the problem. Most seasons we play well is due to our solid defence.
I think that needs a big shake up.

Anyways will be interesting to see if the rumours of Parish, Darcy, Doedee, B.Smith, etc come to our club.

Hopefully Hawkins goes again, if not I wonder if we would make a play for Ben King.

There a list somewhere? Maybe playing for their careers will light a spark up a few arses next season.
Out of contract:
Tom Hawkins, Sam Menegola, Rhys Stanley, Jonathon Ceglar, Mitch Hardie, Flynn Kroger, Oscar Murdoch, Esava Ratugolea, Osca Riccardi, Gary Rohan, Sam Simpson, Zach Tuohy, Cooper Whyte

Retired - Isaac Smith

Not to sound defeatist but realistically it would’ve been nice if Port beat us and we could’ve slide to a pick 4/5 but with how things have gone and finals out of the question, pick 7 is a real chance still.

I would like to see us be hyper aggressive and put a front ended contract in front of Parish. Then target Bailey Smith hard. We could really push the appeal to Bulldogs that this year’s pick 7 and a future 1st and a future 2nd for their first round pick this year, which is tied to Brisbane. This would be us betting on ourselves to climb back up quickly with these two acquisitions. I would also like us to add Stephens as I can imagine he could fill multiple positions for us.

Looking at what this would provide to our midfield depth is huge. Our starting trio could be Parish, Smith and Danger with Holmes/Blicavs/Stephens as our wings. The next group would be Guthrie/Bruhn/Clark/Atkins, This provides us with three guys in Smith, Guthrie and Parish who can find the footy 30+ times a game. While having the impact of Danger and Bruhn hitting the contest. Clark will get plenty of games once healthy and I think he could be a superstar. As for ruck, I believe we will roll with Stanley and Conway. I wouldn’t object to us going for Grundy at the right price but I do not believe he will want to make the move although his style would work with us seamlessly.

As for our defence, I think Kolo and Bews should be pushed back to the VFL and basically used as cover, unless they have currency on the open market (which they won’t). I believe Ratugolea is gone, so that’s another pick we can take to the draft this year or next. I think Atkins can push back into defence. And I see us still targeting Doedee who would be a fine pick up. SDK/Henry/Stewart/Guthrie/Bowes/Duncan/O’Connor/Doedee? Hopefully Mullin can take the step and become an explosive defender for us as for right now that list lacks rebound outside of Stewart. Maybe we could target someone like Bailey Williams, even though he’s not the perfect fit, he would add nice depth.

Our forward line I think is the least of our concerns for now. Stengle should hit his top form again. Had a rough year with a bad injury. Henry will be better again next year. Miers should maintain his form. Same with Close. Hopefully Hawkins can have a good preseason and come out fit. One more goal kicking small would be nice but they’re as rare as hen’s teeth. But I believe the forward line is the only line that felt like a premiership team caliber line this year.

So, overall outs: Ratugolea/Smith/Tuohy/Ceglar/Menegola/Krueger

In (this is the dream situation): Parish/Smith/Doedee/Williams/Stephens

Obviously this is absolute best case scenario and I don’t see it as realistic. But I would love to see the club go hard to make this happen. And also, if Parish stays. Smith indicates he’s happy, we might have to go the route of chasing a Matt Crouch to plug in with Guthrie and play a role without having to be a superstar. We have options, I don’t believe it’s as dire as some people feel. And as much it hurts, the high draft pick will soften the blow come October.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Out of contract:
Tom Hawkins, Sam Menegola, Rhys Stanley, Jonathon Ceglar, Mitch Hardie, Flynn Kroger, Oscar Murdoch, Esava Ratugolea, Osca Riccardi, Gary Rohan, Sam Simpson, Zach Tuohy, Cooper Whyte

Retired - Isaac Smith

Rys I thought signed a contract ext.,?

Out of contract:

Retired - Isaac Smith

Well Smith is gone this season and potentially Menegola and Ceglar with him,
Esava looks likely to want a trade,
be interesting how the club rates Kroger, Murdoch, Riccardi and Whyte.
Tuohy if not this year probably next year, I think Stanley might wind up next year.
And that leaves Hardie and Simpson who might get 1 year deals depending on how they develop.

Hawkins who knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where to start with this list.

We have a R1 & R5 pick. Prob pick 7-10 and a pick mid 60's.

Smith gone.
Tuohy, Menegola, Ceglar most likely.
Sav looks set to leave and will most likely get us R2 pick be it this year or next.
Can see 2 (maybe 3) of Kroeger, Hardie, Whyte, Simpson & Murdoch gone.

Parish for me is a priority. We need an inside accumulator. Pay him the 850k p.a. We should be able to afford it with the retirements over the next few years and TBH we don't have many on the list demanding a massive pay hike yet.
If we can lure Grundy I'm all for it. If we can do it for a future R3 pick (depending on who pays what with his salary), for me he would be a good leader for what will be a relative young midfield for the next few years.
Some leg speed whether it be in the back half or to replace Smith and Tuohy, i think is needed. Stephens, maybe. I don't know but we need someone.
Bailey Smith makes sense but I can't see how we can do it this year. Next year when OOC seems more probable.

We need 3 or 4 youngsters to step up next year. Don't have to be stars off the bat, but need to cement themselves in the team going forward. Knevitt, Dempsey, Neale, Clark, Conway, Mullin, R1 pick this year (hopefully) seem most likely. Add Holmes, Bruhn, SDK and O.Henry and the bones of good young team could well be there to see.

I'm like a broken record on here... Ill say it again.. Matt Crouch is a must.. Won't cost anything in picks, we're missing another in and under player to help Atkins, as we still shouldn't have to rely on a 33 old Dangerfield to save us.. We still need to play games in Knevitt, Clarke etc but we shouldn't be relying in Guthrie, Blitz and Dangerfield as there past there best..
Let's get Matt Crouch
Do you really need another slow as a wet week midfielder in our line up?

I said it a couple of weeks ago that the only saving grace for the midfield is that we have actually got guys coming into their 3rd or 4th season where players make big strides.

Ppl can say what they like about Holmes and Bruhn but they show clear flashes and are tracking very nicely for their age comparatively. Really hope Bruhn can build that tank up to AFL standard from half fwd flank standard. Hopefully Knevitt and Jyhe get their 20 games in next year.

I’ve heard Parish isn’t coming but he’s the only one you’d take. Remembering Guthrie will be back.

This is not a top up year. We’d kill for some outside speed across half back or the wings. Kroeger was a real surprise yesterday. He looked like an AFL footballer. As does Whyte. Not sure on many of the others. I mean Cousins looks more an AFL prospect vs some of the listed guys. Mullin probably has to play 20 games next year regardless of how rough he is at times.

Ps I also got the cold shivers when I heard Scotty say that we’ve wanted to see for a long time Hawkins, Cameron and Neale in the same fwd line as we think it could really work. It’s like Esava all over again.

I said it a couple of weeks ago that the only saving grace for the midfield is that we have actually got guys coming into their 3rd or 4th season where players make big strides.

Ppl can say what they like about Holmes and Bruhn but they show clear flashes and are tracking very nicely for their age comparatively. Really hope Bruhn can build that tank up to AFL standard from half fwd flank standard. Hopefully Knevitt and Jyhe get their 20 games in next year.

I’ve heard Parish isn’t coming but he’s the only one you’d take. Remembering Guthrie will be back.

This is not a top up year. We’d kill for some outside speed across half back or the wings. Kroeger was a real surprise yesterday. He looked like an AFL footballer. As does Whyte. Not sure on many of the others. I mean Cousins looks more an AFL prospect vs some of the listed guys. Mullin probably has to play 20 games next year regardless of how rough he is at times.

Ps I also got the cold shivers when I heard Scotty say that we’ve wanted to see for a long time Hawkins, Cameron and Neale in the same fwd line as we think it could really work. It’s like Esava all over again.
Can't continue to question why our midfield is so poor and then have Holmes and Bruhn running through there soaking up minutes. And then not to drop them when they have poor games.

No easier answers to this though. Clark will go straight passed Bruhn next year but really need Parish.

Holmes leaving would be a disaster and we would likely only get pick 15-20

I think any who are over 31 will have a look at pulling the pin and weigh up their career, as we need more game time into the younger players meaning no finals for a while wouldnt surprise if Dangerfield took up a role with the AFL or players union and retired he has all he needs.

Can't continue to question why our midfield is so poor and then have Holmes and Bruhn running through there soaking up minutes. And then not to drop them when they have poor games.

No easier answers to this though. Clark will go straight passed Bruhn next year but really need Parish.

Holmes leaving would be a disaster and we would likely only get pick 15-20
Real Geelong answer there. Soaking up minutes is exactly what other clubs give their kids to turn them into stars. I can’t help you if you think Tanner Bruhn in season 3 of AFL and 20 years old hasn’t had a great year. He really needs to work on his running and spread which will iron out his inconsistent performances. 95% of Players jump in season 4 and 5 and he’s not even close to that yet. People would have traded Butters and Rozee

Giving up pick 21 for him last year was a masterstroke. If we could turn our pick 8 into two more Tanner Bruhns then please sign us up right now.

There is absolutely no chance Jhye Clark will go straight past Bruhn next year. None. If he he does then we probably have a Brownlow medallist on the list. Ridiculous expectations esp from the reality of what we actually saw in his first season in the VFL. Be very happy with a Josh Ward, Ben Hobbs like output from Jhye

Last edited:

Yes we do.... we don't have a contested ball winner who can win the ball between that age 25-30. Like I said Dangerfield is 33 and he/we shouldn't have to rely upon him, Atkins needs help in there.. Bruhn has a bright future, bylut his only 21 or 22...
Id love Parish to come, he is my no 1 target, but I can only hope from watching Essendon game he wants to get out...

Yes we do.... we don't have a contested ball winner who can win the ball between that age 25-30. Like I said Dangerfield is 33 and he/we shouldn't have to rely upon him, Atkins needs help in there.. Bruhn has a bright future, bylut his only 21 or 22...
Id love Parish to come, he is my no 1 target, but I can only hope from watching Essendon game he wants to get out...
The stats don’t back you up. We still rank 5th in CP% as a percentage of possession.

We have no spread. All of our mids are just fine winning their own ball. Blitz, Danger, Guthrie, Atkins, Parfitt.

I stand by we have no spread. Crouch doesn’t help that in any way. Agree Parish would

The stats don’t back you up. We still rank 5th in CP% as a percentage of possession.

We have no spread. All of our mids are just fine winning their own ball. Blitz, Danger, Guthrie, Atkins, Parfitt.

I stand by we have no spread. Crouch doesn’t help that in any way. Agree Parish would
% percentage of possession? I'm talking about, Clearances and contested possession, ... Those stats is what we did so well last year, this year is a completely different story Screenshot_20230820_081325_AFL.jpg Screenshot_20230820_081310_AFL.jpg

I've said it before but we should look at trading our 2024 F1 for some high picks this year. No point prolonging any turnover just on the basis of "we don't have enough picks to move on all the old blokes".

Most clubs would expect us to finish low next year, so we could be looking at the Doggies' 10 + 17, for example. Possibly even Melbourne or GWS' two first rounders, or Adelaide's 6+20, if we gave those teams something extra on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back