Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Yes absolutely (baring in mind if we a mature ager in the ND which we should it can be a 1 year deal anyway). If we hold onto too many older players this year then we will simply be turning over 10 or so players next year and id rather do some of that now.
Don't know that it would be ten next year. Who you got out in 2025?

Yes, I would.

Handy depth, don't forget, takes away some of the opportunities for growth for younger players which should crop up naturally if there is an injury.
If the kids are good enough they'll do to Duncan and Stanley what happened to Higgins and Dahlhaus. A 2022 Higgins Dahlhaus year is all we need from them. A minimum yardstick that the kids need to be better than. A nice low bar for them to pole vault over. Adds more than some high school kid who will be surprised to get drafted

There’s no “might” about it. He has extracted all he can from a midfield career. If he has a future it lies elsewhere.
How much juice is left to extract in this orange I wonder.
I wonder how much time Atkins and MOC have left here.

Yeah I generally agree. It also emphasises why free agents couple be a difference maker the next couple of years in particular.

We can add a player without using any picks, which would cancel out the need to use that 5th round pick you mention. This is why I imagine me are showing some interest in Martin at the moment. And why I hope we have a FA in mind next year.
Oh yeah, for sure. I'd like both LDU and Fogarty. Though with Luko joining Port now the Fog isn't likely to lift from Adelaide

I'm a lot more concerned about Bowes than just about any other player on our list.
This is now his 8th season and he played over 120 games.
He was able to hit the scoreboard this season but he has no outlying qualities whatsoever. Good tackler but once the ball is pinging around, he's very ordinary. You can't put him down back as he's an average user/decision maker.

I hope Clark or Knevitt can come in and replace Bowes next season.
I think Bowes is who Bowes is now. We can play him off half back and he'll be fine. We promised him midfield opportunity and gave it to him. Good depth, handy half back, he's also now on the back end of that deal we gave him so we're not paying him overs.

Your obsession with him is utterly bizarre.

And no he wasn't that bad.

He was clearly injured. He was visibly hobbling at half time. Then he was on the bench for most of the 3rd quarter and barely attended a centre bounce despite Holmes also being on the bench. There's no way we do that if he's even close to fully fit.

Despite that he fought through and was involved in 2 crucial plays in the second half (Blicavs goal and Henry goal that could've been the match winner).

He still managed to have more score involvements than Lachie Neale and as many clearances as Ashcroft and Dunkley combined. He also had the highest disposal efficiency on the ground and 0 clangers except for frees against (2 of 3 of which were utter BS). He really wasn't that bad at all. Given he was clearly injured for at least half the game he was fine.
He was shocking. Incredible mental gymnastics trying to explain that game as anything but terrible.

He was shocking in the first half also. Maybe he got injured in the warm up?

Don't know how you can seriously defend a midfielder getting 10 touches.

I think Bowes is who Bowes is now. We can play him off half back and he'll be fine. We promised him midfield opportunity and gave it to him. Good depth, handy half back, he's also now on the back end of that deal we gave him so we're not paying him overs.
but... Clark has to come good.
To take on an honest foot soldier for the lure of Pick 7 we need that pick to have been a wise selection to justify the decision made.

He was shocking. Incredible mental gymnastics trying to explain that game as anything but terrible.

He was shocking in the first half also. Maybe he got injured in the warm up?

Don't know how you can seriously defend a midfielder getting 10 touches.
He didn't do much but most of what he did do was OK. I liked some of his work around the contest and I reckon there was a really good kick inside 50 he made.

But, 10 touches is less than ideal. He needs to get more of it i think everyone can agree.

but... Clark has to come good.
To take on an honest foot soldier for the lure of Pick 7 we need that pick to have been a wise selection to justify the decision made.
Clark has time, and even if he doesn't, what's the cost? I can't think of a trade target the cap held us back from, nor a draftee we missed on with the future 3rd.

Should we have picked up figjam at the saints? Maybe, but who cares, it was a free hit.

Clark has time, and even if he doesn't, what's the cost? I can't think of a trade target the cap held us back from, nor a draftee we missed on with the future 3rd.

Should we have picked up figjam at the saints? Maybe, but who cares, it was a free hit.
It's all fun to enjoy getting good players from the rookie draft or R4 etc.

But eventually we need to nail the R1 picks we have, especially inside 10 if we wish to defy the measures in place to try and topple us.

To keep beating the house you need to keep being better than the house. Can't rely on luck to last forever.

Had he been here 5 years ago, he would be quite a valuable asset to our midfield but as it stands, he is not a first or even second banana (I'll steal that from Kingy).
He is the type of player you can complement a good midfield. A bit like Kennedy at Carlton.

It's all fun to enjoy getting good players from the rookie draft or R4 etc.

But eventually we need to nail the R1 picks we have, especially inside 10 if we wish to defy the measures in place to try and topple us.

To keep beating the house you need to keep being better than the house. Can't rely on luck to last forever.
Yeah but I would just say that one specifically was a historically poor draft, there's a reason GCS threw the pick away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The cost is phillipou / Ginbey / hollands / weddle etc.

Personally I wanted phillipou and think he’s going to be a star. You can call him figjam but he’s shown far more than Clark so far, especially after a stint in the VFL and my saints mates rave about him. I fear we chose Clark because he was a falcon.

You are correct, he does have time so let’s see how he goes. He needs a big preseason as for a top 10 pick he hasn’t shown star qualities yet (where at this point you’d have hoped to see something, a moment, a spark), it is difficult to argue otherwise

As others have already said about Bruhn, he looks exceptional with ball in hand. Tidy user of the ball and does have burst away from the stoppage. He just doesn't get it enough.

I would like to see him get more outside ball and involved in general link play. Last year he showed potential to hit the scoreboard, that fell away badly this year. I think he has the attributes to be averaging 25 touches and a goal a game but I fear he is going to be a tease.

I agree with some who say next season is go time. Yes, players can bloom late but many stars of the competition showed their worth around the 70/80 (I don't agree it takes mids 100 games to be consistent contributors, good mids are firing well before then) game mark which is where he will be at the end of 2025. Bartel won a Brownlow at 23 and Holmes is about to break out and take the comp by storm at a similar age.

Fingers crossed he gets an uninterrupted run at it next season.

How much juice is left to extract in this orange I wonder.
I wonder how much time Atkins and MOC have left here.
They won’t be pushed out because we have a steady stream of retirements for 2024-2026. But if we are succeeding they will see more and more VFL time.

The cost is phillipou / Ginbey / hollands / weddle etc.

Personally I wanted phillipou and think he’s going to be a star. You can call him figjam but he’s shown far more than Clark so far, especially after a stint in the VFL and my saints mates rave about him. I fear we chose Clark because he was a falcon.

You are correct, he does have time so let’s see how he goes. He needs a big preseason as for a top 10 pick he hasn’t shown star qualities yet (where at this point you’d have hoped to see something, a moment, a spark), it is difficult to argue otherwise
All credibility gone when you admit to having Saints mates. 🤢

All credibility gone when you admit to having Saints mates. 🤢
We could all have Saints mates. They're usually the one's who don't want to tell you who they follow.
Can you blame them.

If the kids are good enough they'll do to Duncan and Stanley what happened to Higgins and Dahlhaus. A 2022 Higgins Dahlhaus year is all we need from them. A minimum yardstick that the kids need to be better than. A nice low bar for them to pole vault over. Adds more than some high school kid who will be surprised to get drafted
With respect, I don't think that's always true.

Ollie Dempsey is a good example here. Yes, he pushed Gary Rohan out of the team over the summer - but a lot of that was, IMO, off the fact that he managed to sneak in for 2 games in 2022, and 5 games in 2023 - and for most of those games, he only got in because of player unavailability, and especially for his first five or so games, he wouldn't have gotten over a storied veteran.

Getting that lick of AFL footy early is huge for young players. Not a long-term gift, but a couple of games here and there.

It's Geelong - you're never locked into one position forever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back