Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

If I’m Waterman (and I promise I’m not) I’d be trying to get that big contract now.

Cash in now on his “one good year only” form.

If he goes into next year and drops form or does an ACL it’ll cost him bigtime.

The safe bet would be to lock something in now if possible (even if slightly unders).

He can obviously bet on himself (and might need to) but that could backfire.

Good luck to him.
If I was Waterman that's exactly what I'd say.

Sus.

I forgot to add - the two names thrown up again in discussion were Sean Darcy and Ollie Lord.

Darcy is untradeable with that contract til 2030
Its interesting that him and treacy amiss jackson are all signed long term but freo wont trade darcy bc no club would pay what they want or take the contract.

Lord could change depending on who they sack ken for but lord seems settled there.

I've made a few calls to "contacts" who were able to provide an answer on this Waterman story. According to them it's "garbage" and we shouldn't read too much into it.

Bailey Smith still a yes and "we are well placed to get a deal done". The overriding view though was that "we will be very active" post season.
When you say contacts, elaborate what you mean?? Journalists?? Player managers?? People at the club??

Nash signing on for Hawthorn a bit of a blow. I expect that had we got him we would send Blitz back to KPD and ruck SDK going forward which solves a ruck issue while adding a much needed bigger body through the middle. You'd basically add three new positions to your b22 for the price of a contract
I think its a huge win for us, guys a dud jack of all trades master of none.

What are your thoughts on OL Jumping Jack? He obviously knocked us back last year (Sav trade), but after just the six games this year, I'd imagine he might be feeling a bit more open to a move..

23 yo at the start of next year and just 19-career games. They do take a while to come on the big guys as we all know, but I'm not sure he has demonstrated he is likely to make the grade at the highest level? They do take time though..

Neale is the same age and very similar stats. From memory, OL had a very good game in a final - he kicked 3 or 4. But not much splitting the two at the present time..

He's obviously under contract (until end of '26) so it's Port's call, and after we held Sav to his contract, I doubt they play ball. He doesn't have a high value right now, so I can't see Port entertaining it unless OL wants to come and we pay overs (the latter is very unlikely IMO).

I can’t see how port entertain a trade. He’d be worth less than last year, probably a pick 35-45 range I guess. So there’s no real incentive for them to move him when they’re not getting anything in return. Might as well hold on and see if he comes good once Dixon goes and Finlayson is a couple years older

I think if we were to try and find a new ruck we should be looking around for someone with the profile of Briggs or Xerri, both only 201cm tall but built like absolute brick shithouses. They seldom get smashed in hitouts but provide a lot around the ground physically.
Its like the opposite to a Blicavs, who is about 198cm but is more of an athlete around the ground than these two. But Xerri and specifically Briggs hit contests harder and make their size known.

Its also a really good alternative to a Conway, who if he comes along is a skilled, mobile tap ruck whereas a Briggs etc are wrecking ball rucks.

The only other ruck I could think of having a punt at who is on an AFL squad would be Moyle from the Suns, be interesting if King rates him and mentions him as ruck insurance for Conroy.

Or we go to the VFL/SANFL and hope to find an experienced body to bring in for Stanley.

moyle would be great but he just signed on to stay at GC for another 4 years

I can’t see how port entertain a trade. He’d be worth less than last year, probably a pick 35-45 range I guess. So there’s no real incentive for them to move him when they’re not getting anything in return. Might as well hold on and see if he comes good once Dixon goes and Finlayson is a couple years older
Kind of rare to put up a fight over a fringe player though.

I wouldn't put him ahead of Neale

Ladhams is probably the best fit of the backup rucks out there.

He'd be on decent money so Sydney would probably be happy to move him on and we could add a 2nd year to bring the average wage down. He's also more mobile than most and at 26 with 50 games under his belt he's way more ready right now than anyone we'd get from the VFL.

I still reckon there's a good chance we go with no extra ruck or just another young developing type because we're comfortable with SDK being our number 1 with support from Blicavs and Neale until Conway is ready.

When you say contacts, elaborate what you mean?? Journalists?? Player managers?? People at the club??
I appreciate the question - but surely you appreciate why I'm not going down the path of saying person X or person Y told me.

I'm happy to cop a few whacks from people along the way (as I have) but the whole premise of these forums is to share information and views on a range of topics. I'm fortunate to have a few good contacts who are "close" to the action.

Happy to share snippets I get along the way but I'd prefer just to leave it at that and not risk outing people who I trust. On the flipside - there's stuff I get along the way that I choose not to post as it risks outing me to people on this board - or people I trust.

If that's not acceptable for some in here then that's ok. But let's keep this whole online forum concept in perspective. It's information sharing - not some high court type set up where keyboard nufties prosecute every single word.

Ladhams is probably the best fit of the backup rucks out there.

He'd be on decent money so Sydney would probably be happy to move him on and we could add a 2nd year to bring the average wage down. He's also more mobile than most and at 26 with 50 games under his belt he's way more ready right now than anyone we'd get from the VFL.

I still reckon there's a good chance we go with no extra ruck or just another young developing type because we're comfortable with SDK being our number 1 with support from Blicavs and Neale until Conway is ready.
What happens if SDK gets injured next season? We would be relying on Conway who doesn’t have a tank yet and is injury prone. Blics is declining and Neale is not a full time ruckman.

What happens if SDK gets injured next season? We would be relying on Conway who doesn’t have a tank yet and is injury prone. Blics is declining and Neale is not a full time ruckman.
I'm 100% in for getting a mature age ruckman.. But I have some silly feeling that they won't go after another ruckman... I bloody hope I'm wrong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It really depends how they rate Conway and to a lesser extent O'Sullivan next year. Are they confident in them playing finals if needed? If the answer is yes and they don't view SDK in the ruck as a one off just for this year then our ruck depth is fine.

If SDK is considered our number 1 (he won't play the full year there partly to preserve him but also to give Conway games) then Conway is our number 2 option. Conway doesn't look too out of place against other backups like Fort, Preuss, Ladhams, Sweet, Lobb, etc. And Blicavs is a better number 3 option than most teams have.

If we're not confident in Conway's development or O'Sullivan playing so we might need SDK down back then we look really thin and getting a mature ruck makes sense. But if we're confident in those 2 at least just as back-up come finals and we're happy with SDK as our number 1 we look fine.

Call me crazy but Furphy has looked good in the VFL. Mitch Edwards too, though he needs to add size. Conway, Edwards and Furphy as pure rucks, with SDK, Blitz and Neale as back up options is more than enough.

Call me crazy but Furphy has looked good in the VFL. Mitch Edwards too, though he needs to add size. Conway, Edwards and Furphy as pure rucks, with SDK, Blitz and Neale as back up options is more than enough.
Agree on Furphy looking promising and bodywise is already there but he probably needs a full year at VFL level to develop. I have confidence in Conway's ability but you cannot have confidence in his body. Assuming Stanley retires then a mature age ruck with a sound body makes sense if we can land one. On COS I think he is a at least a full year off being ready for regular AFL games.

Last edited:
Agree on Furphy looking promising and bodywise is already there but he probably needs a full year at VFL level to develop. I have confidence in Conway's ability but you cannot have confidence in his body. Assuming Stanley retires then a mature age ruck with a sound body makes sense if we can land one. On COS I think he is a at least a full year of being ready for regular AFL games.

We don't need a mature age ruck clogging the list (Ceglar, McIntosh, etc. etc.). We have Conway, if he can't stay fit we still have another five options already on the list.

Darcy would be perfect for us. If we took the whole contract, it should be a second rounder. If Freo paid 30% of his contract it would be a 1st.

Darcy would immediately improve our midfield, he can also clunk a mark or two up forward.

At his best he is one of the top few rucks in Australia.

Darcy would be perfect for us. If we took the whole contract, it should be a second rounder. If Freo paid 30% of his contract it would be a 1st.

Darcy would immediately improve our midfield, he can also clunk a mark or two up forward.

They're chasing players that make them better. Let them feel the cap pinch first then let put him on the market

Darcy would maybe have been an option if he didn't re-sign on a stupidly massive contract back in Decembe

He signed a 6-year extension taking him through to 2030, with the contract value estimated at $800k -> $900k per season - that's not a good deal for any team to take on

Add in that he's 26 & only twice has he played 20+ games in season - so he may have the potential to be one of the best rucks in the league when he's at the top of his game, the problem is that he's not at that level for long enough periods to warrant the contract he signed

IF Fremantle want another team to take that contract off their hands less than 10 months after that agreed to it, then any deal would have to include at least one of Fremantle's first round picks this year in exchange for one of the last picks in the draft - not sure any team would be stupid enough to give up a pick within the first 3 rounds for Darcy alone while taking on a contract of that size

Darcy would maybe have been an option if he didn't re-sign on a stupidly massive contract back in Decembe

He signed a 6-year extension taking him through to 2030, with the contract value estimated at $800k -> $900k per season - that's not a good deal for any team to take on

Add in that he's 26 & only twice has he played 20+ games in season - so he may have the potential to be one of the best rucks in the league when he's at the top of his game, the problem is that he's not at that level for long enough periods to warrant the contract he signed

IF Fremantle want another team to take that contract off their hands less than 10 months after that agreed to it, then any deal would have to include at least one of Fremantle's first round picks this year in exchange for one of the last picks in the draft - not sure any team would be stupid enough to give up a pick within the first 3 rounds for Darcy alone while taking on a contract of that size
While I think you're right that It would be silly for us to get Darcy given his biggish contract and questionable durability. I also think the hypotheticals that now seemingly always get thrown around involving a club taking a long term contracted player AND getting a first rounder for their troubles, while giving up nothing are a bit farfetched.

Yes, it happened once with Bowes. But that's the exception, not the norm. More likely are scenarios similar to when Grundy got traded (both times) where a club might get him for a pick in the 30ish range.

While I think you're right that It would be silly for us to get Darcy given his biggish contract and questionable durability. I also think the hypotheticals that now seemingly always get thrown around involving a club taking a long term contracted player AND getting a first rounder for their troubles, while giving up nothing are a bit farfetched.

Yes, it happened once with Bowes. But that's the exception, not the norm. More likely are scenarios similar to when Grundy got traded (both times) where a club might get him for a pick in the 30ish range.
Yeah they are a bit out there some of the hypotheticals but honestly, consider his durability and contract. It is up there as one of the worst contracts signed

The bolded is the biggest concern. That doesn't even take into account the games he is withdrawn early due to injury. Darcy's played 11/20 games this season, in two (rd 8 & rd 17) of those games he was subbed off early, and in another two (rd 12 & rd 14) he played less than 70% TOG.

It depends on the trade scenario:

- the Grundy trade still involved Collingwood agreeing to pay a portion of his salary for the remaining years of his contract. So neither Melbourne nor now Sydney, have taken over the full value of his remaining contract

- Bowes, Geelong took on his full remaining contract which is why the first round pick was thrown in

- Will Brodie trade from GC to Fremantle included, GC sending picks 19, 61, 69 & Brodie in exchange for future 2nd & 4th round picks with Fremantle paying the majority of Brodie's contract

IF Fremantle is going to pay a portion of Darcy's contract them, then it changes what's paid in terms of trade value - remembering though that Darcy isn't Grundy, and that should be reflected in trade value

BUT, IF Fremantle expects the new team to take over Darcy's full contact which is one they negotiated just 10 months ago - they'd have to pay the new team to take over the deal

I'd love all other 17 teams though to laugh at Fremantle and tell them to deal with the mess they've made of their salary cap themselves & that no one's going to bail them out. Really not sure why they signed him on such a long term contract & at the cost they did - didn't make sense back in December and makes even less sense now

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back