List Mgmt. Glenn Luff - Has resigned as list manager

Remove this Banner Ad

What experience does he have with list management? Why are we putting the list in jeopardy so that this bloke can just hack at it?

Get someone serious in ffs
He was given a job on the back of being able to use a spreadsheet. Excel Superuser, but footy numpty = North Melbourne List Manager.

This club is full of idiots.

It also requires us to not be such a basket case as to deter anyone from coming across. The way we've allegedly handled negotiations and delistings with some of our players, plus the latest leak about the coach and the group, wouldn't exactly scream to a manager "send your star player to that environment."

Melbourne gets free agents, even before the flag, because it's well run and an all round good and fun place to be.
Melbourne never used to be well run. ..... winning helps everything.

I know today was another bad loss and as soon as we got a standard injury run our depth was going to be tested. But my god we are only supporters observing from the outer.

This campaigner gets paid for what he does. I pointed this out last week. We have 3 key position players on the list lol

It is woefully bad. Can’t see how he keeps his job long term.

I know today was another bad loss and as soon as we got a standard injury run our depth was going to be tested. But my god we are only supporters observing from the outer.

This campaigner gets paid for what he does. I pointed this out last week. We have 3 key position players on the list lol

It is woefully bad. Can’t see how he keeps his job long term.
He is the only one with a log-in to Champion Data. If he goes, we have to get a license.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is the only one with a log-in to Champion Data. If he goes, we have to get a license.

I'd laugh but considering we went 1 list spot short to get a development coach because our coaching salaries had so runeth over, this actually seems plausible.

Probably find out Gavin Brown is only around for his 10% off Officeworks card.

I'd laugh but considering we went 1 list spot short to get a development coach because our coaching salaries had so runeth over, this actually seems plausible.

And Mark Roberts is still getting hassled for a discount on building materials at Mitre 10.

Could explain why we only wear our away shorts, only have bleach based washing powder, no colourfast.

You like to take the piss a bit (which I do too) but it now seems more real the worse we get, that you are actually correct.

Last edited:
What experience does he have with list management? Why are we putting the list in jeopardy so that this bloke can just hack at it?

Get someone serious in ffs

From an article in 2019 - "Prior to joining North, Luff worked at Champion Data for 20 years, breaking down game data to identify trends, playing styles and team tendencies".

Initially joined as 'Head of Analysis' for 12 months then got the List Manager role.

Now I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure most list managers spend some time in the actual list management team first, as a recruiter for example, before being promoted to List Manager. He's really come from left field with virtually no experience in that department. No experience at an actual AFL footy club prior to joining North yet gets such an important role 1 year in.

I'm not a North supporter but a bit of a footy nut so here are just a few recent decisions I query:
  • Moving Brown on - Now I know he had a down year (some excuses with injury and personal tragedy though) and wanted a relatively long-term deal on decent coin...but the guy seemed pretty loyal to North and had kicked 60+ goals 3 years in a row despite spending time in the ruck. One of North's best players and a must-keep in my opinion. Would have helped the team be more competitive and helped Larkey in particular. Some might scoff at the money he wanted, but when the club is throwing money away at guys like Aidan Corr, I know which player I'd prefer. Also not a great look to the rest of the playing group that a loyal, top player got turfed. Didn't even get a good return for him, gave him away for unders.
  • 5 year deal for McDonald - He did finish that season winning the B&F and may have been seen as the captain in waiting. But I think most would agree the contract was overkill for a guy like McDonald. Outside that one great season he's only been a 'good' player, not a star. Not doing a whole lot currently. Stuck with the contract until 2026 now.
  • 2 year deal for Ziebell - Maybe understandable? Captain and at 30 yrs old, 2 years isn't awful. The club certainly needed some mature leadership...though not sure he's delivering his end of the bargain.
  • Delisting Dumont - Not sure about this one. I know he had injuries etc and declined as a player, but he's actually been doing OK for Port this year...missed the North game due to COVID. A former vice-captain, may have been worth keeping, possibly at the expense of a different senior player.
  • CCJ trade - Definitely overpaid given the strong position North were in at the trade table. CCJ wasn't even in Richmond's best 22, making giving up a 2nd round pick overs. The fact North now have the selection issue of Goldy/Xerri/CCJ is also pretty poor.
  • Corr contract - Never thought much of him at GWS, he's really nothing special basically a role player. Don't hate getting him as he was a FA and North needed some mature bodies, but the contract is certainly overs.
  • Drafting Phillips over Logan McDonald - Now, I'm no junior footy watcher. Maybe this will turn out to be the right call, it's early days. But jeez you'd want Phillips to be a much better footy player than McDonald IMO to pick him at #3 when McDonald went the pick after. I am basing this on the fact that North had no key forwards except Larkey, they are typically hard to get, the best are usually high draft picks and they take longer to develop so you want to get them in early in a rebuild. Had a golden opportunity to draft one. North had also already invested in midfield talent with guys like Simpkin/LDU/Thomas. Also took Powell and JHF later but they came after...still, that is a lot of high draft picks used for one area of the ground at the expense of all others.
  • General lack of KPPS - This one is a no brainer. To have basically 1 key forward (2 with Comden) and 2 key defenders on a list in total is just ridiculous. Ties a bit into my point above in not drafting McDonald, but needed to get more in somehow. Should have at least 3-4 of each.

Last edited:
Seriously can’t stop thinking about how we have 4 ruckman on the list (1 who is miles off AFL and none of the 4 can play anywhere else) and only 3 key position sized players (1 of whom is dishing up diabolically bad performances and is a certainty to be delisted come years end).

How does the list management team come back from this stuff up? I never want to “look forward” to someone being sacked, but it’s negligence if there aren’t actual, tangible consequences for this.

Edit: forgot we technically have Comben rotting away on the injury list/ unable to leave the seconds. He may as well not be there given how unavailable he is.

Whoever is responsible for a back 6 of Hayden, Young, Scott, Walker, Bosenavulagi & Corr, wouldn’t survive at any other club in the country.

I don’t blame coaching selection, they have nothing to choose from.

Luke McDonald and Jack Ziebell are pretty good in the backline. I think there's some blame to fall on David Noble's shoulders for taking two of our most important players and moving them away from the positions where they played their best football.

It also requires us to not be such a basket case as to deter anyone from coming across. The way we've allegedly handled negotiations and delistings with some of our players, plus the latest leak about the coach and the group, wouldn't exactly scream to a manager "send your star player to that environment."

Melbourne gets free agents, even before the flag, because it's well run and an all round good and fun place to be.
Nailed it, if you want players in, don't piss off the managers they have long memories

Seriously can’t stop thinking about how we have 4 ruckman on the list (1 who is miles off AFL and none of the 4 can play anywhere else) and only 3 key position sized players (1 of whom is dishing up diabolically bad performances and is a certainty to be delisted come years end).

How does the list management team come back from this stuff up? I never want to “look forward” to someone being sacked, but it’s negligence if there aren’t actual, tangible consequences for this.

Edit: forgot we technically have Comben rotting away on the injury list/ unable to leave the seconds. He may as well not be there given how unavailable he is.
This is why the cutting of Brown, Majak and Tarrant made no sense.
They havnt been replaced, werent keeping anyone out of the side and we’re paying the price for it.

McKay, Larkey and Comben. That’s it.
It’s ****ing insane

Last edited:
Whoever is responsible for a back 6 of Hayden, Young, Scott, Walker, Bosenavulagi & Corr, wouldn’t survive at any other club in the country.

I don’t blame coaching selection, they have nothing to choose from.
I largely agree but we have a B&F winner in Silver playing average footy on the wing who could move back there, and Sleevo being worse than average getting centre bounces when he would be doing better on a wing, and Tommy Powell playing seat warmer on the bench instead of getting CBAs...

We've shot ourselves in the foot with several list management choices but the coaches aren't doing us many favours on gameday.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Glenn Luff - Has resigned as list manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Back