Review Good/Bad/Ugly v Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

V. Good:
Milera --- breakout game for him. Gonna be a gun.
Doedee --- composed, skillful, terrific intercept marks. Jake WHO??
Talia --- gave Lynch a bath. Was it Talia who left the sprig gouges on Lynch's R hand?
Laird --- did his usual bad kick straight to an opponent, once 3rd quarter, but his play-reading and rebound are first class.
Seedsman --- plays smart, stays calm, terrific yardage gained.
Douglas --- tough game, valuable goals, respect.
Lynch --- runs all night, great link man, goals good reward for effort.

Good: 8-goal win, 4 points banked, lovely.
Greenwood --- hard in close, tough, disposal still needs work but great hands.
Even Mackay, until injured.

Bad: That third quarter. Before the game, I'd have taken 8 goals as a good win, but after 45 points up at half-time I was hoping for an 80+ win. Oh well. More % would have been useful.
Even more injuries. Smart to drag Tex. Fog'll play next week, which belongs in the 'Good' column ;)

Ugly:
Dr. Josh Jenkins turned into the useless lump Mr Hyde again. Missed 3 very gettable shots for goal, very frustrating.

Beautiful: one first qu. goal from the W wing involving 2 clever tap-ons to advantage.

Loved Gallucci's game. That performance is the exact kind of skill and pace I saw glimpses off at SANFL level last year hence why I was a tad concerned earlier this year when he seemed to be struggling but he's all that zip back in his game now. Some players just go up a gear at the next level and the hard running AFL game probably suits him better than the SANFL.

Milera was great - other than a bad patch in the third quarter - but I'll forgive that given the goals he set up the other way with his run and drive and his defensive efforts at times also helped stop a couple too. The one or two turnovers were mainly from trying to do too much so he was at least trying to create. Showed great awareness to dish off then run further into space to become an option too.

Gibbs - still super classy:hearts::hearts::hearts:

Greenwood - my man-crush continues - what a beast:hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

M.Crouch

Lynch

Bad/ugly: another soft tissue injury, with Tex the victim this time. Hass needs to clean out his locker - at this rate, the pre-season he was in charge of will cost us top 4 if the injuries continue to pile up like this.

Has the Gold Coast's Tom Lynch arrived at the ground yet?

He was hung, drawn and quartered by Daniel 'The Executioner' Talia tonight
Talia smashed him.

But he could be a very dangerous player at a good club. I hope he ends up at a club with a poor midfield.

If he goes to Richmind, Hawthorn or Collingwood he will dominate.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The two kicks in the third that cost us a goal.
Not sure why people are saying Milera was sloppy? 85% DE, kicking was pretty much spot on all night apart from that entry to Lynch where Milera kicked it one way and Lynch ran the other.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The Good -

Gallucci , Doedee and Milera not our only 3 but showed future is bright when the kids get games .

The Bad -

Watching Dermie waffle on in the Saturday Stench ... that pontificating peroxided poo spewer sure can stretch out a sentence . F.. Me .

The Ugly -

Jenkins goal kicking

The Hilarious -

Seeing Matt Haas's face on the bench when he heard the Captain utter the word Hamstring .

Gooch is playing better in the AFL than he ever was at SANFL. I was surprised when he was brought in last week but, tonight, he showed why we picked him as high as we did. Definitely looks a player.

I did pose this as a question in the SANFL thread. For his particular talents, they won’t get highlighted in a midfield or at stoppages where we are getting smashed. I wondered whether he needed a certain amount of relative quality around him before he could use his natural talents. I loved his pace tonight. He really did close down defensively.

I think that’s what I am so happy about. 20 disposals and a couple of goals, but he also applied that defensive pressure all night and he actually did affect their rebound kicking.

Orange and yellow - who in their right mind thought those colours would look good together.
Who the hell designed both expansion teams match day get up and merch .... visually disturbing
For all the money in the troth , those at AFL house glaringly overlook a shed load of horrors .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bad:

-Had the Missus's non-AFL loving family over from interstate so couldn't attend, nor could I watch the game in peace whilst all the while not knowing where to now find a replay (hint hint). So from what I saw...

- Another Hammy. Gone beyond dumb luck now.What is it?
- Dmacs ability to pick out the 3 on 1 option,or better still, the lone opposition player down the line when under zero pressure. He turned back the clock a couple of years tonight in my eyes.
- CEYs speed of thought once gaining ball in hand.
-Over finesse, and overuse of the dinky little worm burner. In saying that, I like that we are trying to cut up zones by foot now but we have to know our limitations.
- Miss-kicks or zero contact attempted kicks.
- Set shots.

Good:

- The Big Gallooch! Welcome to the big time champ.For some reason I compared him with Douglas last season(probably similar head shape) but I think this kid has a few different weapons up his sleeve. Better balance, better marking game, better runner, harder at the contest at the same age and most of all the kid has the combative streak essential to playing a role in a premiership.
- The Dood! After seeing only a few average games of his SANFL carrer along with his preseason I proudly shouted from the rooftops on a few occasions that this kid would never make an adequate replacement for Lever. Should have bookmarked it as I was bang on.
This kid smashes Lever out of the ball park.
-Poholke not as well adjusted to the pace of things as some other recent newbees, but Id give him another crack. He is staunch, knows where to be, knows when to go and gos at 100% every time. Cant drop him yet.
- Mileras breakout game (I hope). Suggested during preseason that I didnt have faith in him down back but threw in a little hedge bet caveat that he may excell should the game be played in front of him as Ive seen when he played deep forward. Another nailed prediction(nah kudos Kane, Elite et al). Those ragging on his disposal are obviously holding him to standards not applicable to the rest of the team and are somehow missing all the ones that do hit a target. Compare to Dmacs disposal for perspective.
-Talias start to the season looks as good as Ive seen him in 3-4years. Probably a lot happier now he has a 3rd tall team player going into battle along side of him.
-With Smiths loss now mitigated somewhat our defense as a whole are starting to look as galvanized as any time over the past 2 seasons.
-Tex looked to have his strut back before going down. I feel I can almost pick our result based on his pregame body language these days.
He has copped it as much as any skipper I can remember in recent times(besides Cotchin) and I reckon he has it in his DNA to come back with a vengence.
-Thors start to the game. Still needs some work on his stamina, but shit he has stepped up in place of our 1st stringers this year.
-Govs body language, positioning and workrate. Its comming.

Ugly.

-Me when I have to socialize with inconciderate family members dropping in during game time.
- Those gurnsey colors on TV.
- Sam Powell Pepper.
-Probably this post in the morning.

Last edited:
Good:
Doedee, will be a gun. Was outmarking tom lynch, great work.
Gallucci, does not look out of place.
Milera, half back is his spot. Smith on a wing when he returns. Very good
Laird, good as usual.
Douglas, one of our best. Well done.
Brown, very good.

Bad:
Third quarter not good enough.
Basic skill errors. This needs to improve
Jenkins, very inconsistent. Lacks concentration.
Otten, thanks for 100 games but sanfl for you from here on out.
Forward structure is not right, needs some personnel changes.
Injuries.

We have much room for improvement and should be a major contender when sloane, betts, bcrouch, smith and co are all back.

Last edited:
The good
S Dew’s coaching. Can see promise in GC’s development. Dogged defending and great attack on the rebound in that third qtr.

Gold Coast string some of their good footy together for more than a quarter and a half and the China game becomes a lot more interesting.:)

An 8 goal belting with an injury-ravaged team. Our depth - wow.

David MacKay is stupid courageous, and deserves some praise in amongst the constant ridicule. Pulled off some amazing ball-winning and ball-handling.

The Gov done a good mark again, finally.

Bad
Need to address these hammies.

didn't see any of the game as I was out

but wow, Milera 33 disposals?

Sounds like the consensus was it was a 'meh' game but i'll look forward to watching his game on the replay tomorrow

Make sure you have a good bottle of red - you will need it.

Wonder what Gibbs thinks with us at 4-2 and the Blues at 0-6.

Has Galluci ever done that statistically in the reserves? Let alone eye test?

Some players step up #harrydear

I think this question now needs discussion. To me, none of Gooch, Poholke, and Milera had done enough in the seconds to justify being selected on form. However, their AFL form belies this. Why? Is there something very wrong with the seconds? This is beginning to look like a systematic problem. Others have mentioned this before, and I now tend to agree with them.

Good

Playing Milera off half-back. Starting with 5 up forward, 7 in defence and our wingers on the wings.

Bad

Reverting to the dumb 4 up forward, 8 in defence with the wings running in from the back of the square after half time. It doesn’t work. If the ball goes forward we don’t have enough numbers and they rebound straight through us. If it goes back we’re in bad positions and they get a good I50 as the ball goes straight over our heads.

Good

Changing back to 5 / 7 / 2 after they kicked 3 goals in the third.

Good
  • Gooch and Milera very good.
  • The backline was solid- Talia, Laird, Doedee. Usual suspects really.
  • Lynch getting back into form (our Lynch, that is).
  • Seedsman, Greenword, and CEY in the middle. Matty Crouch just slotted back in nicely.
  • Dougie.
  • Even DMac was okay.
  • If Tex is injured will the Fog come back?
  • Have we ever had a deliberate rushed behind call go our way before?
  • Knight kicked a couple and got his hands on the ball a bit more than last week. There's some suggestion he'll still get squeezed out for Betts in the changes thread, though.
  • We won.
Bad
  • More injuries!
  • Ordinary second half. Think we eased off a little.
  • Gov is still very iffy. He took that one big mark late and kicked the goal, hopefully that gives him some confidence?
  • Poholke didn't do a great deal, but it's his second game so don't be too harsh on him.
  • I think Jenkins was back to being soft? And maybe he should play on and snap for all his set shots, even (or especially?) when he's twenty out directly in front?
Re: Milera, he had a great game but there were still a few moments of hesitancy- trying cutesy little chip kicks when he could have taken off and gone longer. I think that's the issue some people have?

Milera went at 84.8% DE. Yes he made some mistakes but I'd hardly call his disposals a worry. Yes I realize stats aren't everything but he passed the eye test for me too.
He had a bad patch in the 2nd quarter, where he basically gift wrapped one of Gold Coast's goals - not once, but twice. First he kicked it straight to them from one flank, only for his teammates to rescue him. Then he repeated the dosage from the other wing, this time gifting the goal directly to the Suns.

That said, these were almost the only blunders in what was a very, very, good game from him. Overall, the good far, far, far outweighed the few bad moments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad/Ugly v Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back