Review Good/Bad/Ugly v Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Losing Tex hurt the forward line. He rely runs that group and makes a lot of our poor I50s better just due to his be demands guys position themselves.

When he went off they were lost.
Not sure how much was due to the loss of Tex, and how much was due to the decreased output from Greenwood & Crouch in the midfield (due to fatigue). With Greenwood & Crouch virtually disappearing, the Coasters got well on top in the midfield - particularly in the first half of the 3rd quarter. Not much forwards can do when the midfield is being soundly beaten.

He had a bad patch in the 2nd quarter, where he basically gift wrapped one of Gold Coast's goals - not once, but twice. First he kicked it straight to them from one flank, only for his teammates to rescue him. Then he repeated the dosage from the other wing, this time gifting the goal directly to the Suns.

That said, these were almost the only blunders in what was a very, very, good game from him. Overall, the good far, far, far outweighed the few bad moments.
I'm just surprised that people would choose to dwell on these mistakes. Every player makes mistakes, let alone 20 year olds with less than 30 games of experience. Bit harsh in my opinion.

I'm just surprised that people would choose to dwell on these mistakes. Every player makes mistakes, let alone 20 year olds with less than 30 games of experience. Bit harsh in my opinion.
I get frustrated when bad play by a Crows player leads directly to an opposition goal. Milera did it twice in the space of 30 seconds. It's no surprise that people got a bit annoyed with him at the time. It's no difference to Laird kicking it straight to Buddy last week, or McGovern dropping an uncontested mark, both of which led to Sydney goals last week.

That said, Milera's good clearly outweighed his bad, by a very wide margin.

Good
  • Gooch and Milera very good.
  • The backline was solid- Talia, Laird, Doedee. Usual suspects really.
  • Lynch getting back into form (our Lynch, that is).
  • Seedsman, Greenword, and CEY in the middle. Matty Crouch just slotted back in nicely.
  • Dougie.
  • Even DMac was okay.
  • If Tex is injured will the Fog come back?
  • Have we ever had a deliberate rushed behind call go our way before?
  • Knight kicked a couple and got his hands on the ball a bit more than last week. There's some suggestion he'll still get squeezed out for Betts in the changes thread, though.
  • We won.
Bad
  • More injuries!
  • Ordinary second half. Think we eased off a little.
  • Gov is still very iffy. He took that one big mark late and kicked the goal, hopefully that gives him some confidence?
  • Poholke didn't do a great deal, but it's his second game so don't be too harsh on him.
  • I think Jenkins was back to being soft? And maybe he should play on and snap for all his set shots, even (or especially?) when he's twenty out directly in front?
Re: Milera, he had a great game but there were still a few moments of hesitancy- trying cutesy little chip kicks when he could have taken off and gone longer. I think that's the issue some people have?
I was in the southern stand and I kept a special watch on Jenkins. Apart from his poor kicking tonight I thought his overall game was great. He was all good around the ground. Some of the delivery forward was poor.

Wasnt much of a gamre. Will be another I delete off the PVR without watching again.
Milera had a great game. Gooch played a good game and hopefully he can be our Douggy replacement in the next couple of years.
I actually liked Knights game. Had some really good disposals, kicked a couple of goals and had some really good pressure acts as well. Our team is better with him and if he keeps injury free he is going to be a 200 gamer.

I was in the southern stand and I kept a special watch on Jenkins. Apart from his poor kicking tonight I thought his overall game was great. He was all good around the ground. Some of the delivery forward was poor.

I agree. He didn't look soft at all this week and made his presence felt. The goalkicking, however, was disgraceful. I reckon his ball wobble in the runup is starting to have a bad effect. Normally, he scores many more goals than he should with that technique, so hasn't bothered addressing it.

The Good

Players played well and the usual stars starred. Yes they get ignored but only because they do it regularly. Brown , Talia , Laird, Gibbs, Crouch , etc etc
But I want to focus on the kids.
Milera , alread yposted its a breakout BOG game. Don , there is one position for this young lad for this year. Thats half back. Do not compromise on this.
Gallucci, had concerns at the start of this year but a step up means a step up in class and ability. Some players just seem like that
Greenwood, those arms that reach.
Doedee. Jake who?
Riley Knight 17 touches and 2 goals makes me wonder who people were looking at
CEY. Beast mode. Not any stutters either. Building

The Bad
Poholke went missing in the stats dept apart from I50s. This is to be expected and not a career ender in no way. Continue to develop and be the best

Overall a really good performance by every level

Have to agree also. His tap ons and putting his body in front of the ground ball was good. His positioning for the mark let him down imo and made him look ineffective in an area he should break even

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Bad
Poholke went missing in the stats dept apart from I50s. This is to be expected and not a career ender in no way. Continue to develop and be the best

Poholke was having a quiet night, and then when he muffed that two on one easy goal chance that went coast to coast for a GC goal he fell in a hole, and after following it up with a bad turnover didn't come out again.

Got an absolute ride from the umpires.

They should be ashamed of themselves.

These are the pathetic type of gutless wonders we then cop in Victoria who are scared of the crowd booing them and shaft us.

It's not that hard.

Umpires who lack the courage to actually be an umpire and make decisions based upon what they see need to be weeded out.

Got an absolute ride from the umpires.

They should be ashamed of themselves.

These are the pathetic type of gutless wonders we then cop in Victoria who are scared of the crowd booing them and shaft us.

It's not that hard.

Umpires who lack the courage to actually be an umpire and make decisions based upon what they see need to be weeded out.
There was a bit of that but i thought GC did some really stupid stuff tonight.

Some lazy, but some just stupid things which handed the Crows a number of frees.

I think this question now needs discussion. To me, none of Gooch, Poholke, and Milera had done enough in the seconds to justify being selected on form. However, their AFL form belies this. Why? Is there something very wrong with the seconds? This is beginning to look like a systematic problem. Others have mentioned this before, and I now tend to agree with them.
The issue is the terrible quality of the top up players. When half your team is made up of sub par players, it is hard for good players to play well (especially outside players).

We need a national reserves ASAP to get us out of the SANFL and their ridiculous rules.

Seedsman slightly off with only 604 metres gained tonight.

Knight working hard a lot it seems too.
View attachment 489617 View attachment 489618
Alot of people here dont appreciate what Knight brings. Workrate, pressure, hard at the ball, can tag someone out of the game, and when let loose he can be a very attacking goal kicker. Those stats are more impressive when you consider he didnt have a full preseason and has been injured for alot of the year so far. Kid has one hell of a tank on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad/Ugly v Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back