Review Good/Bad/Ugly vs Hawthorn and their Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. But timing is also important. If this was round 18/19 etc this would be hard to come back from , but I think we have enough time and games to let this one go. Most of us banked it for a loss before the season started.

Just crushes right now
Yeah it's a bit crap. But better than smacked by 12 goals last final. They've been rocked. Clarkson said so himself. We shaped different than he had worked out and we peeled them in the first. Our inexperience in the last five minutes lost us the game.

I sink the boot into Mackay as much as the next guy but Mackay was good tonight. Take off the blinkers. 23 touches and more tackles than any other crows player on the ground. If you're unhappy with that performance then he may as well retire right now as he'll never please you. I thought he was excellent.

Smith had a poor night but he has too many weapons not to be given the opportunity to improve. Cheney is a bloke who just plays to the maximum of his capabilities week in week out and his capabilities are just a touch off being a solid AFL footballer in nearly every aspect. Just too short, just too slow, decision making is just a touch off and disposal is just not quite there. He's an absolute battler and will likely play next week but we need to be honest with ourselves about our deficiencies if we're to improve.
****ing bingo cant believe everyone cant see it. So obvious. Too slow with Cheney, Hartigan, Talia, Lever. Cheney offers so little other than effort - its not the participation Olympics.

How dare you judge me on how I support my team or how I choose to look at a win or loss. If I choose to ignore the umpiring , its not head in the sand , its I don't sweat the small stuff. Will me carrying on like a petulant 2 year old who lost a nipple and cant find it change the result? No. Will ringing up 5aa change it? No. Will complaining to AFL House change anything NO?

I look at the positives and I wont have anyone tell me how to support the team I have followed for 25 years. Understood?

1) that first bit was written with a few posters in mind, you were not one of them

2)expecting a fair competition is carrying on is it? would you participate in a game where you always would lose unfairly? if so, I have a some money games I'd like you to participate in to see you, excuse the phrase, put your money where your mouth is. the answer is, I assume, you wouldn't participate in that game.

3)if by don't sweat the small stuff you mean don't invest significant energy in worring about something, that at the end of the day, is relatively minor, as opposed to solving climate change, cancer, corrupt democracy etc, then yes, I'm with you and probably not half as fired up as I may seem. if by dont sweat the small stuff you mean just accept that, then we'll have to agree to disagree.

Puopolo and Rioli would be quicker than Eddie and Charlie... They're super super quick players.
It was one of those games, needed to score more goals.. Especially after kicking 7 in the first quarter. We're playing frenetic, can't wait to see how Fremantle will deal with this next week.

As they say, it's definitely not as bad as it seems right now. While it would have been great to be sitting 4-1, we can only move forward, and take a lot of good out of that game. I really, really hope that our club goes to the AFL and asks for a please explain on that umpiring, for the good of the competition, but that is a separate matter.

Lots to like, but once again we lose a game in the last when we were three goals up. Should be 5-0.
We need to cull those who crack under the pressure. We need to be clean and not fumble, we need to hot targets by foot, especially in the back half. We need to be absolutely desperate when defending on the last line. We need to get mids who don't get brushed off and can stand in a tackle. We need players who don't go missing for a half. We need to kick those clutch goals and make the clutch plays to have any chance of winning our third cup. The AFC is on the right track just got to get those last 2-3 players right and make the hard calls.

Good

Thought Hartigan's game was massive again tonight, is really improving quickly now.
Sloane, Thommo and Crouch can hold their hands up in the midfield, just so clean by hand and get to the right spots.
Douglas ok, but let down by some WTF kicks into our forward line.
McLovin...Shooter...is going to be A GUN! I felt that tackle and he is such a great mark, nightmare matchup by the end of the year if he keeps this up.
As someone else said, Lynch got to the ground and half time and then showed why he is so valued in our forwardline.
Bett's started like a house on fire then couldn't get near the goals for the rest of the game. Has to come at the ball a bit more and not expect to get it over the back every time.
Brown did his part and kicked a massive goal.
JJ was good, but let's himself down by not chasing both ways, really bad look jogging when the ball is three metres away and he could influence the contest.
Tex was good, but needed to slot that goal, monster mark and did some good things...has to be carrying something.
Sauce was great, so clean below his knees.
Seeds was ok, good goal, but had to keep his feet..
CC was good first game back.
Talia was he usual solid self.

Badish
Laird...wiling to give him benefit of getting a whack to the head from Cyril, but he was pretty ordinary in the second half.
Lever...did some good and some bad, nearly KOed Hartigan and I cringe when he is about to kick, especially in the backline with no pressure on him.
Smith...did some good, needed to nail the goal in the second, needed to hit Seeds and need to torp it to the wing after the last point. Got a rocket handball to match his rocket foot.
Mackay...going to call him ragdoll from now on. Did some good things, tackled well, but please can we stop putting him at centre bounces????
Atkins..the rat was at his elusive best tonight, but his usual clean kicking was a bit crapola tonight.
Lyons...kicked two, did some good, but just off the pace needed at the clearances, too good for SAFNL, just not quite good enough for AFL. Brouch fit next week he goes out.

Bad
Cheney...another bag kicked on him, just isn't desperate enough. No way Poppy should have been able to get a boot to that one in the goal square, had to dive on it and punch it through, got caught too far up the ground. Not a long term prospect, have to start looking at somebody else...not VB.

Not going to mention the green fluro maggots, only to say they once again had too much say in what was otherwise a ripping game of footy.
We are on the right track. Let's smash Freo next week!

I can sort of agree with this, but come finals should we make it and play them, this game will mean nothing, what will is the fact that they are triple reigning premiers.
Don't forget this is a 11 goal turn around from last year when we played them.
I believe this year is different.

That tonight meant nothing is only true because we lost.

It could have meant everything to us if we'd won confidence wise.

Lots to like, but once again we lose a game in the last when we were three goals up. Should be 5-0.
We need to cull those who crack under the pressure. We need to be clean and not fumble, we need to hot targets by foot, especially in the back half. We need to be absolutely desperate when defending on the last line. We need to get mids who don't get brushed off and can stand in a tackle. We need players who don't go missing for a half. We need to kick those clutch goals and make the clutch plays to have any chance of winning our third cup. The AFC is on the right track just got to get those last 2-3 players right and make the hard calls.

Good

Thought Hartigan's game was massive again tonight, is really improving quickly now.
Sloane, Thommo and Crouch can hold their hands up in the midfield, just so clean by hand and get to the right spots.
McLovin...Shooter...is going to be A GUN! I felt that tackle and he is such a great mark, nightmare matchup by the end of the year if he keeps this up.
As someone else said, Lynch got to the ground and half time and then showed why he is so valued in our forwardline.
Bett's started like a house on fire then couldn't get near the goals for the rest of the game. Has to come at the ball a bit more and not expect to get it over the back every time.
JJ was good, but let's himself down by not chasing both ways, really bad look jogging when the ball is three metres away and he could influence the contest.
Tex was good, but needed to slot that goal, monster mark and did some good things...has to be carrying something.

Badish
Laird...wiling to give him benefit of getting a whack to the head from Cyril, but he was pretty ordinary in the second half.
Lever...did some good and some bad, nearly KOed Hartigan and I cringe when he is about to kick, especially in the backline with no pressure on him.
Smith...did some good, needed to nail the goal in the second, needed to hit Seeds and need to torp it to the wing after the last point. Got a rocket handball to match his rocket foot.
Mackay...going to call him ragdoll from now on. Did some good things, tackled well, but please can we stop putting him at centre bounces????
Atkins..the rat was at his elusive best tonight, but his usual clean kicking was a bit crapola tonight.
Lyons...kicked two, did some good, but just off the pace needed at the clearances, too good for SAFNL, just not quite good enough for AFL. Brouch fit next week he goes out.

Bad
Cheney...another bag kicked on him, just isn't desperate enough. No way Poppy should have been able to get a boot to that one in the goal square, had to dive on it and punch it through, got caught too far up the ground. Not a long term prospect, have to start looking at somebody else...not VB.

Not going to mention the green fluro maggots, only to say they once again had too much say in what was otherwise a ripping game of footy.
JJ was not good. 7 touches just. Reasonably pooh. All the rest great stuff Shulzy!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good

Badish

Bad

Brown had a shocker apart from his goal. I think you are chalking up a few of rioli's goals to Cheney that were actually on brown. Love the guy but he stank tonight. Cheney not much better btw, and laird was seeing stars after the Rioli hit I'm sure.

Good:
McLovin - improving week by week
Sloane, Eddie, Tex, Mackay, Lynch
Umpiring - now we know where we stand

Bad
Cheney. He is back on wiping boy* status - rush the behind and we win. (so many other whatifs though so maybe I am being harsh)
last kick out - keep possession next time boys

Ugly
* Wiping boy not whipping boy. This is intentional, not a typo or spelling error. Maybe a poor attempt at humour but the term "whipping boy" is not even used in correct context in this forum. Historically whipping boys were punished when princes misbehaved in medieval times. Since princes could be punished only by Kings or God their whipping boys were punished instead. Poor performance in a team sport is not really remotely the same. Unless Eddie plays badly so we hate Mackay for it?

Even uglier
I have to spell this out. Pity I cannot insert a canned laughter soundtrack every time I write the term "wiping boy".

Brown had a shocker apart from his goal. I think you are chalking up a few of rioli's goals to Cheney that were actually on brown. Love the guy but he stank tonight. Cheney not much better btw, and laird was seeing stars after the Rioli hit I'm sure.

Yeah Laird should not have taken that kick. He was seeing stars.

JJ was not good. 7 touches just. Reasonably pooh. All the rest great stuff Shulzy!
Though he was ok when the ball got to our forward line. It seemed to be in the Hawks half of the ground for long periods. As I said his lack of two way chasing is still a stain on him...can go forward really well, probably the best big man in the comp for this apart from Buddy, but his lack of effort in chasing or even trying to chase is still not good enough...happy to move him to Badish..

Fair enough.
Our inability to get it out of our backline was a damning stat as well. Why don't we you know kick it up the middle or even out to the other wing once and a while. Smith can hit a torp off one step that hits the centre circles, lets go with that once and a while. All our small defenders had the fumbles at times, but I thought we held it together, but this was the most pressure they've been under and hopefully they learn from it.

Brodie Smith.

Kyle Cheney.

Take a hard look at your last 5-10 minutes of that game. You do what you're supposed to do, and we win.

I thought there were some absolutely floggish umpiring decisions that went against both teams really.

The free against Smith that led to the winning goal was clearly a free.

The holding the ball against I Smith that would've handed us a routine set shot after the siren quite simply wasn't paid all night. I've got no problem with that call.

There were many other examples of shit decisions all night. The frees against Douglas and Tex in the last 5 mins or so were ridiculous, but I'm positive that Hawks fans could identify some shitty ones that went against them. The ones against us just happened really late so they stand out. None led to Hawks goals though. Tex had a set shot about 60 seconds after his free against too.

The non-mark to Lynch was baffling. I couldn't believe my eyes there.

All in all, I didn't get the same feeling at all that I had in the 2012 prelim. We were robbed that day. Tonight, we stuffed it up.

Also the out of bounds on the full against Gov in the first quarter. The ball clearly came off his knee which is not technically classed as a kick. Hodge basically fooled the umpire to pay the kick.

Also the out of bounds on the full against Gov in the first quarter. The ball clearly came off his knee which is not technically classed as a kick. Hodge basically fooled the umpire to pay the kick.
Yep, ump caught guessing on that one. Ball hit Govs leg twice. First shin then above knee before going out.

*dusts off BF account*

The good
Dead set loving the Crows footy this year. If they can keep this game up for the rest of year and even improve, the Don and his boys will be the toast of 2016. Fitness was great last night, ran the game out and looked in control for long periods of the game against the former premiers.

The bad
Leg speed from some areas of the ground is concerning. Backline continuously outrun and Tex is one of the least agile players out there. Skill errors are there but improving week on week. Need to wise up on diving tactics from opposition, particularly in defensive 50.

The ugly.
Backline lacks experience and seems to remain the Achilles heel. A big move is needed here if we are to shake it up in September. So reliant on Smith For some class back there and it took its toll towards the end of the game. Options are to keep riding McKay as a defensive mid until he "gets it" (despite flaws he has improved significantly this season and has the much needed experience) or alter the game plan to relieve defensive pressure.

*dusts off BF account*

The good
Dead set loving the Crows footy this year. If they can keep this game up for the rest of year and even improve, the Don and his boys will be the toast of 2016. Fitness was great last night, ran the game out and looked in control for long periods of the game against the former premiers.

The bad
Leg speed from some areas of the ground is concerning. Backline continuously outrun and Tex is one of the least agile players out there. Skill errors are there but improving week on week. Need to wise up on diving tactics from opposition, particularly in defensive 50.

The ugly.
Backline lacks experience and seems to remain the Achilles heel. A big move is needed here if we are to shake it up in September. So reliant on Smith For some class back there and it took its toll towards the end of the game. Options are to keep riding McKay as a defensive mid until he "gets it" (despite flaws he has improved significantly this season and has the much needed experience) or alter the game plan to relieve defensive pressure.
Have to agree that the one consistent theme with all our games has been the constant bombardment of our backline.

Poor blokes must have shell shock by now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back