Review Good/Bad/Ugly vs Hawthorn and their Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gees you are on fire tonight.

One mention of VB and you've gone all troppo.

I wish, I just wish it was one mention.

But that wouldn't be enough for you. You need vB in your life. He's your everything. Your answer to why we lost games he didn't play in.

Don't know about McGovern to be honest. Takes some good grabs and finishes well but other than that he's a passenger around the ground. I thought Lyons was pretty good, hands were nice in tight and tackles unlike a lot of our players. We were really solid tonight, certainly isn't panic stations, round 5 losing to a quality outfit like Hawthorn who just know how to win games of footy. Our ball use was really the only factor that let us down and the fact that our last line of defense lacks a bit of pace.

And he's rubbish there.

I saw exactly what Mackay was doing tonight. He was below standard and the stats flatter his contribution to the team
Would you make up your mind whether you're going to use stats to show how bad Mackay is ....or ignore stats that defeat your position in that Dmac played well tonight ...against your perception

Don't know about McGovern to be honest. Takes some good grabs and finishes well but other than that he's a passenger around the ground. I thought Lyons was pretty good, hands were nice in tight and tackles unlike a lot of our players. We were really solid tonight, certainly isn't panic stations, round 5 losing to a quality outfit like Hawthorn who just know how to win games of footy. Our ball use was really the only factor that let us down and the fact that our last line of defense lacks a bit of pace.

Ah...o_O

Dust ya self off mate.

Kid will be an absolute machine with a bit more games under his belt. A healthy reminder; He's played 5 AFL games.

We are watching different games. McGovern puts in multiple defensive efforts to pressure the ball carrier.

Lyons really struggled under pressure. Fumbled a bit, didn't get to marking contests he should have (got lucky to get a goal from one of these) and dropped a sitta that was a certain goal.

Right, lets get started with a home truth or two shall we

Pathetically ugly
Our supporters who lack the guts to publically call out BS that they see right in front of their very eyes. You know who you are. What are you afraid of? You expect your team not to take a backward step, yet youre comfortable sitting on the fence or worse, accepting this, WTF is wrong with you? Do you worry that we'll be percieved as whinging little inferiority complex South Australians? Newsflash, look what the neutrals are saying, at least they're not to afraid to make a call and its not even in their interests to do so. This is not pre-Blight era, when we all thought everything was against us, we learnt from that and now most of us are pretty neutral. We don't need Blight like balancing in this instance, because what we're calling for isn't ridiculous all we're asking for is fairness. Some others have called us for being no good and not winning a big game. Why can't we have the biased umpiring then? If hawthorn are so good, as claimed, surely we could have had biased umpiring our way and they still could've got the job done. The last quarter was disgraceful, but there were other instances all through the game that kept them in it. If that hadn't happened the margin would have been six goals.

Regarding the last few minutes, how could your head not drop? Youve absolutely given everything, legs and lungs burning, body hurting, then all of a sudden, clearly, call after call going their way, often bewildering biased, of course if you were out there you'd feel what was going on, they were doing everything to try and get the win. That stuff gets in your mind, hard for it not to.

Good
Played out a massive game. 4 Qtr effort. Very even contribution. Not too many standouts. Everyone had a moment or two.
Thought Jacobs might have been our best.
Eddie got monkey off his back.
Lyons serviceable.
Thommo another great game.
Our play still held up under massive pressure and hawthorn were piling on huge pressure, they did that well.
Thought some of the hawks young players did well, O'brien and sicily playing down back, well done to them. There was a period I was wondering if we might put cameron on to Puopolo, but we don't quite have that flexibility yet.
McGovern was good again. Gaining in confidence, jumping at some now. Bloody quick on the chase too. And that tackle!
Despite what some others have said, I thought mackay did very well.
What a goal from Luke Brown, he had a pretty good game I thought.

Bad
Some of the centre contests. They got a lot of clearances. We got a lot of awkward looking movement. We sometimes blazed to their loose men forward of the ball.
We still havent got an effective counter for opposition loose.
We have some execution things to clean up. A lot of subtle things. A lot of just touched or deflected handpasses and short kicks. We need to concentrate 100% against these guys, because you know they'll look for every opportunity they can to be in the game (and why wouldn't you when you know if you are the umpires will get you over - I know that would give me massive incentive to do all I could to be in touch)
Some supporters who don't seem to get that the defensive setup of ours means some defenders will look ordinary no matter how good they are. Don't say the defender is crap or played a crap game when he just happens to be the one who suffers on the end of the play.
Thought lever was uncharacteristically poor.

Other
Of note, in our last 3 games the opposition's first goal has come from a free kick.

Just before Mitchell passed that last ball to Puopolo, Mackay took possession of the ball right near the line and was somehow dispossessed. It was just a presence of mind thing, he needed to get the ball out of bounds, by either hanging on to it or not taking possession and seeing it safely over the line. He did neither, and the ball inexplicably ended up in the hands of Mitchell.

It's little things, but they're footy IQ issues that either make you or break you in big moments of big games.

Right, lets get started with a home truth or two shall we

Pathetically ugly
Our supporters who lack the guts to publically call out BS that they see right in front of their very eyes. You know who you are. What are you afraid of? You expect your team not to take a backward step, yet youre comfortable sitting on the fence or worse, accepting this, WTF is wrong with you? Do you worry that we'll be percieved as whinging little inferiority complex South Australians? Newsflash, look what the neutrals are saying, at least they're not to afraid to make a call and its not even in their interests to do so. This is not pre-Blight era, when we all thought everything was against us, we learnt from that and now most of us are pretty neutral. We don't need Blight like balancing in this instance, because what we're calling for isn't ridiculous all we're asking for is fairness. Some others have called us for being no good and not winning a big game. Why can't we have the biased umpiring then? If hawthorn are so good, as claimed, surely we could have had biased umpiring our way and they still could've got the job done. The last quarter was disgraceful, but there were other instances all through the game that kept them in it. If that hadn't happened the margin would have been six goals.

Regarding the last few minutes, how could your head not drop? Youve absolutely given everything, legs and lungs burning, body hurting, then all of a sudden, clearly, call after call going their way, often bewildering biased, of course if you were out there you'd feel what was going on, they were doing everything to try and get the win. That stuff gets in your mind, hard for it not to.

Good
Played out a massive game. 4 Qtr effort. Very even contribution. Not too many standouts. Everyone had a moment or two.
Thought Jacobs might have been our best.
Eddie got monkey off his back.
Lyons serviceable.
Thommo another great game.
Our play still held up under massive pressure and hawthorn were piling on huge pressure, they did that well.
Thought some of the hawks young players did well, O'brien and sicily playing down back, well done to them. There was a period I was wondering if we might put cameron on to Puopolo, but we don't quite have that flexibility yet.
McGovern was good again. Gaining in confidence, jumping at some now. Bloody quick on the chase too. And that tackle!
Despite what some others have said, I thought mackay did very well.
What a goal from Luke Brown, he had a pretty good game I thought.

Bad
Some of the centre contests. They got a lot of clearances. We got a lot of awkward looking movement. We sometimes blazed to their loose men forward of the ball.
We still havent got an effective counter for opposition loose.
We have some execution things to clean up. A lot of subtle things. A lot of just touched or deflected handpasses and short kicks. We need to concentrate 100% against these guys, because you know they'll look for every opportunity they can to be in the game (and why wouldn't you when you know if you are the umpires will get you over - I know that would give me massive incentive to do all I could to be in touch)
Some supporters who don't seem to get that the defensive setup of ours means some defenders will look ordinary no matter how good they are. Don't say the defender is crap or played a crap game when he just happens to be the one who suffers on the end of the play.
Thought lever was uncharacteristically poor.

Other
Of note, in our last 3 games the opposition's first goal has come from a free kick.
wat

Don't know about McGovern to be honest. Takes some good grabs and finishes well but other than that he's a passenger around the ground.
Did you actually watch the game?

I thought Lyons was pretty good, hands were nice in tight and tackles unlike a lot of our players.
Again a chief culprit fumbling .....which for a midfielder is a no no ......and he has history as a fumbler

We were really solid tonight, certainly isn't panic stations, round 5 losing to a quality outfit like Hawthorn who just know how to win games of footy
Solid? .... i thought we were far from solid ....brilliant at times ....panicky and fumbling under pressure at other times

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I were to do a review like that Port poster does for their games:

10 -
9 - Thompson, Sloane
8 - Atkins
7 - McGovern, Lynch, Douglas, Betts
6 - Jacobs, Seedsman, M. Crouch
5 - Talia, Hartigan, Smith, Walker
4 - Mackay, Brown, Jenkins, Lever, Lyons, Cheney
3 - Cameron
2 -
1 -
0 - Laird
There's a lot more that I would dispute but this one is egregious.

We are watching different games. McGovern puts in multiple defensive efforts to pressure the ball carrier.

Lyons really struggled under pressure. Fumbled a bit, didn't get to marking contests he should have (got lucky to get a goal from one of these) and dropped a sitta that was a certain goal.

Lyons never stopped trying. You could see on his face he was filthy with himself a few times.

Just before Mitchell passed that last ball to Puopolo, Mackay took possession of the ball right near the line and was somehow dispossessed. It was just a presence of mind thing, he needed to get the ball out of bounds, by either hanging on to it or not taking possession and seeing it safely over the line. He did neither, and the ball inexplicably ended up in the hands of Mitchell.

It's little things, but they're footy IQ issues that either make you or break you in big moments of big games.

Like Eddie's little push out last week.

Nailed it. Subtle things. Little blocks, tap ons, rushing behinds etc. We need to be better.

One of the worst displays of umpiring I have every seen. Every crows fan has the right to be appalled by this.

First the doggies done in by some bad umpiring, then saints, and now crows. Either the hawks are paying the umpires off or they are just really lucky, if it carries on like this, I'm going to start getting swayed towards the payoff option.

Were you drinking all day, or are you really a Port Adelaide supporter with a dupe account ??

We've been losing this game over and over since 2005 though. That's why I don't get why people feel like this is a new chapter. It felt just like a decade of abuse at the hands of Malthouse taking advance of Craig.

Yeah yeah, we led, yeah we really took it to that better team. And yet, when push came to shove, we didn't have it when it counted.

I don't know how that translates to us somehow being great.
We won it last week. And in the final against the Doggies.. but don't let the facts get in the way of your negativity. :rolleyes:

We won it last week. And in the final against the Doggies.. but don't let the facts get in the way of your negativity. :rolleyes:

We won an elimination final, and against Sydney at home.

Those aren't exactly the biggest deals on the calendar....

You've seen it in a few players this year. With this new OOT interpretation you've got players in 2 or more minds. He gets tackled chances are he gets holding the ball, he goes out of bounds it'll be deliberate the way that last 5 minutes.

It was frustrating to see but it wasn't what cost us.

We won an elimination final, and against Sydney at home.

Those aren't exactly the biggest deals on the calendar....

Can you state where you think the crows will finish by the end of the season pls?

Also, can you state which games remaining for the rest of the year are big deals, so that way we can measure against your standard, then we'll see how we go in those.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back