Quarter 2
Quarter 3
Quarter 4

High Quality: Need approx 240kb/s download speed
Quarter 1
Quarter 2
Quarter 3
Quarter 4

Edit: Only work from an Aus connection. Overseas will need to use Aus VPN.

Google Chrome will stream them which is what I use. Internet Explorer will try to download them. I'm not sure what other browsers do, I haven't tested it.

Last edited:

Game Replay

Low Quality: Need approx 17kb/s download speed
Quarter 1
Quarter 2
Quarter 3
Quarter 4

Medium Quality: Need approx 110kb/s download speed
Quarter 1
Quarter 2
Quarter 3
Quarter 4

High Quality: Need approx 240kb/s download speed
Quarter 1
Quarter 2
Quarter 3
Quarter 4

Google Chrome will stream them which is what I use. Internet Explorer will try to download them. I'm not sure what other browsers do, I haven't tested it.
Worked fine in Safari for me, but I had to turn the VPN on with Australia as my location.

And once again we're comparing a 170 game player to those with less than 50 games just to justify his spot in the side.

News flash, senior players are and should be judged to a higher standard than those who are sub 50 games. One of the roles of senior players is to make up for the inconsistencies that you see in developing players. Mackay is wildly inconsistent in his performances as evidenced by yesterday, that should be tolerated to an extent in younger players, they'll learn, but not in senior players, they won't.

Mackays 3 goals were massive, but apart from that it was another sub par game from a senior player.

Did we see him jogging along directly front of Cameron, essentially preventing him from kicking it, demanding the easy ball only to fluff it? Instead of sheparding and allowing the Cameron, who was in a better position to kick inside 50.

Was that the kick in the back of the head.
Cameron was it, he could have cleared the area if not for that. Mackay in La La land again.

Apart from the obvious poppy decision, I thought the umpiring was even. Poor decisions both ways. Imo people get way too caught up in the past and bias takes over reality.

There were. Quite a few illegal holds of crows players. Hodge did it twice to Cameron within a 5 sec period very obvious. Lots of incorrect disposal type free kicks missed. It wasn't consistent.

I thought Tex was pretty poor early on - handballs were fumbly, missed targets, and he often looked out of position. Then in the second half he worked well into the game and ended looking like Tex

Not by all. By armchair heroes on a footy forum. Jenkins has crashed into packs and taken a lot of contact.

The disrespect by softc0cks on here is pathetic.
Coming from an armchair hero/keyboard warrior whatever you prefer as yourself, this insult doesn't cut too deep but whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

Apart from the obvious poppy decision, I thought the umpiring was even. Poor decisions both ways. Imo people get way too caught up in the past and bias takes over reality.

Nah no way. There were plenty of times (and it's happened In the past too) where we stripped the ball from them, or they disposed of it illegally and it wasn't called. Yet we did the slightest thing we did wrong and the umpires were on us like a fat kid on cake.

They make it 10x harder for us defensively and we have to do a mountain of work to win the ball back from good tackles, as so much of their shit the umpires just let slide.

I try to not target umpires as much these days, and let the football do the talking. But this is almost ALWAYS the case against the big teams in Melbourne. The umpires work us overtime and are hot on our heels. It's a complete joke.

Of the umpiring, there were a few absolute howlers, but aside from those what I notoced most was the advantage calls.

At points play would completely stop and Hawthorn would be allowed advantage, with our entire team flat footed and unable to defend.

Then multiple times we'd receive a free only to be called back, disadvantaging the team more than anything. Hampton looked like taring off down the middle a couple of times but was called back by the bald flog.

Of the umpiring, there were a few absolute howlers, but aside from those what I notoced most was the advantage calls.

At points play would completely stop and Hawthorn would be allowed advantage, with our entire team flat footed and unable to defend.

Then multiple times we'd receive a free only to be called back, disadvantaging the team more than anything. Hampton looked like taring off down the middle a couple of times but was called back by the bald flog.

Yep I noticed that as well and thought it was blatantly unfair umpiring considering about 2 or 3 times we had clear advantage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were. Quite a few illegal holds of crows players. Hodge did it twice to Cameron within a 5 sec period very obvious. Lots of incorrect disposal type free kicks missed. It wasn't consistent.
The number of throws missed was incredible especially since that are supposedly tightening up on that.

Continually you would even hear the commentators say, "threw that out but the umpire has let him off" or "looked like a throw but has gotten away with it". Sometimes in consecutive "disposals" within tight congestion

Ummm...what?! 21 touches as a key forward, 8 marks, 2 goals, 2 goal assists. Stood up when the game was on the line. All after a few weeks out and without Jenkins to take pressure off him.

That is as bad a call as Puopolo's free kick.
And what those stats don't tell you is how many two on ones he either won or broke even. He controlled CHF for us after quarter/half time.

I thought Tex was pretty poor early on - handballs were fumbly, missed targets, and he often looked out of position. Then in the second half he worked well into the game and ended looking like Tex
I think it may have been Roos who sued up his game pretty well late. Praising his overall game by saying while he has looked below his best and not as clean etc as usual he has continually competed to play a strong role throughout

I know some were critical of him early, but even then there were a number of times where he was a 1-0n-3 target and while he didn't launch at ht footy and take a grab or even bring it directly to ground, he was enough of a presence to also stop the Hawks defenders doing so and the ball still hit the ground to give our crumbs/fwd pressure acts a chance.

Partly his improvement corresponded with the teams improvement and better ball movement meaning he could be a target with more space and not having the 2nd/3rd defenders blocking his positioning

Good:
Jacobs contested marking, where did that come from? He destroyed McEvoy.
Our little Cameo's from the wingmen: Atkins and Knight were instrumental in some clutch goals, even though they didn't have massive games they contributed.
McKay... 3 goals on the run is more than he kicked all last season.
Sloanes last quarter, absolute beast
Hamptons dancing, he got caught a lot but the form is coming. I can feel it. Sometimes hanging onto the football and trying to dance around is better than hacking a kick 35 metres forward to the opposition player, then watching it go over the contested cluster to open Geelong opposition players. Atkins is especially good at this.

Bad:
Umpiring. Absolutely atrocious, some decisions we got as well were just incompetent.

That first quarter cannot happen against the top 4 contenders. The Bulldogs wont let us back in like that (although i doubt they could play that type of game that hawthorn played anyway).

People say 'We can't play a first quarter like that against a top 4 team'. Well we kinda did that last week and still won handsomely.

Sure it's not ideal but the fact we've been able to change it up at quarter time both weeks shows a lot of tactical nous and also a great mindset by the players.

The number of times we were called HTB or throw immediately after being tackled versus the exact same for them being play on was ridiculous. As most of us say, it's not the ones they get (except the Poppy one), it's the ones we don't get.

Four things at play here regarding the umpiring.

1. The umpires have no idea. I think that's well established. They umpire to a rigid interpretation and very few of them have an actual feel for the spirit of the contest. If they did they'd never, ever, in a million years pay that Puopolo free kick. I don't care if Poppy gets crushed under a falling grandstand... he had four zillion prior opportunities and he took on the tackler. GONE.

2. Hawthorn are by far the best side in the competition at taking advantage of the fact the umpires have no idea. The "free kick Hawthorn" meme is no coincidence.

3. I don't know how many times and for how many years I've said it on this board... WE HAVE TO BECOME THE SIDE I HAVE DESCRIBED IN POINT TWO. WE CANNOT WAIT FOR THE UMPIRING TO GET BETTER. IT WON'T. WORK THE ****ING SYSTEM CROWS FOR ONCE IN YOUR GOD FORSAKEN ****ING HISTORY.

4. We will never do point 3, because to do it, you have to first identify it's an issue, and to address it, you have to have a degree of machiavellianism about you AND WE DON'T AND HAVEN'T SINCE MALCOLM BLIGHT.

1. The umpires have no idea. I think that's well established. They umpire to a rigid interpretation and very few of them have an actual feel for the spirit of the contest. If they did they'd never, ever, in a million years pay that Puopolo free kick. I don't care if Poppy gets crushed under a falling grandstand... he had four zillion prior opportunities and he took on the tackler. GONE.

2. Hawthorn are by far the best side in the competition at taking advantage of the fact the umpires have no idea. The "free kick Hawthorn" meme is no coincidence.

3. I don't know how many times and for how many years I've said it on this board... WE HAVE TO BECOME THE SIDE I HAVE DESCRIBED IN POINT TWO. WE CANNOT WAIT FOR THE UMPIRING TO GET BETTER. IT WON'T. WORK THE ******* SYSTEM CROWS FOR ONCE IN YOUR GOD FORSAKEN ******* HISTORY.

4. We will never do point 3, because to do it, you have to first identify it's an issue, and to address it, you have to have a degree of machiavellianism about you AND WE DON'T AND HAVEN'T SINCE MALCOLM BLIGHT.
I think we have identified point 3, we made efforts last year and were by and large hauled over hot goals for doing so.

We have had some good nights at home due to umpiring too, all interstate sides do.

I think the best part about Mackay's game for that no one has really mentioned, was his gut running.

Year after year this bloke finishes in our top 3 for the 3km time trials and etc, but yet he never has seemed to be able to use his engine to his advantage.

Similar to Knight in the second half of last week, he ran his absolute socks off in the 2nd half of the game and was greatly rewarded with 3 goals. He got himself into some good positions and worked his ass off and deserved all 3 of them.

This is what we really need to start seeing more of from him. Yes his first half was really poor, but by God did he put in the work and grind out a brilliant 2nd half.

I think we have identified point 3, we made efforts last year and were by and large hauled over hot goals for doing so.

Hope you're right but I'm yet to see consistent evidence of it across our second-string players.

Yes of course someone like Betts knows how to do it, but you need the whole team doing it.

3. I don't know how many times and for how many years I've said it on this board... WE HAVE TO BECOME THE SIDE I HAVE DESCRIBED IN POINT TWO. WE CANNOT WAIT FOR THE UMPIRING TO GET BETTER. IT WON'T. WORK THE ******* SYSTEM CROWS FOR ONCE IN YOUR GOD FORSAKEN ******* HISTORY.

Riley Knight understands point 3. Drew a couple of nice frees for too high by doing the limbo yesterday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad v Hawthorn, Round 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back