Review Good/Bad v Hawthorn, Round 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Great to win in a different way to last week and full credit to the coaches box for seeing what wasn't working early two weeks in a row against quality teams and engineering a turnaround.

Loved the new look midfield blitz with pace and pressure (Cameron, Knight etc.) especially this Mackay bloke - where did he come from? Hampton still looking a little lost at times but getting involved enough and doing some great things. Will get better as the season goes and could be a real weapon for us once finals roll around.

Jacobs haters? Where are you? Thought it was brilliant that the two guys who were most affected by Jenkins injury - Walker and Jacobs - stood up big time.

Otten now undroppable - superb game. Looks like Kelly has to make way for Lever. Not really like for like but Lever definitely agile enough to play that role and far more talented. Kelly looks good when allowed to play loose but a tick under quality needed one on one against very good players.

What a last quarter and half from Sloane! Most responsible for the win when we needed him. Wouldn't swap him for any other player in the comp.

Ummm...what?! 21 touches as a key forward, 8 marks, 2 goals, 2 goal assists. Stood up when the game was on the line. All after a few weeks out and without Jenkins to take pressure off him.

That is as bad a call as Puopolo's free kick.

I'll have to watch it again.
I was so pissed off with the umpiring, was a bit hard to enjoy watching.

My $0.02c:

1. That's two weeks we've run the "GSW small ball" line-up and it's worked. We even flogged them at contested marks. We couldn't possibly have a big back line next week, could we?

2. The only reason the umpiring won't get the same reaction as last year is that we won. And the mistakes were spread across tha game and not concentrated in the last two minutes.

3. By my reckoning we were three frees and about four first gives (rather than try something harder) from handing them a twelve goal flogging.

4. Can i still collect from crownbet for 29+ given the Poppy decision?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Soft? you been hit in the ribs champ? Wasn't he waiting on scans of his internal organs. They don't do they just because he has niggle and is soft. He has to be showing symptoms. Nothing in the contest though. Easily just a footy collision.
The symptoms would have been pain, distress.

Given how he reacted you'd have had to assume broken ribs/collapsed lung were a very real possibility.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/af...s/news-story/897ebac3717aa970bc73d55227a0a7fa

Had to take a screenshot. I don't even...

u04jt2O.jpg
Matthew Nicholls will be in trouble for not keeping things to script :(

In trying to fix this, who gets omitted, and what do the coaches need to do besides making those omissions?
Recognising the issue firstly. We seem to write any poor start or loss off as a bad patch.

The omissions are the most important thing. Look for the patterns. Who regularly underperforms at the key times/in the big games.

Also the best teams have a go-to midfield quartet that they use at crunch times, that will stand up when the ball needs to be won. Need to keep searching for our best high-stakes combo and not be seduced by those who catch up their numbers at other times.

What are these Hampton struggling shenanigans everyone keeps speaking of?

I thought he was a sidestep or two away from breaking open some yuuuuge plays at least 3-4 times and he tackles like a maniac.

As the self annointed doyen of footballing knowledge I think he's due a breakout game in the next month. Can play.

If Jenkins misses next week I really like the idea of putting Otten forward in his spot.
Exactly!

let me draw your attention to this brilliant idea

If no Walker, Otten to the forward line? Has done it well before and would slip under the radar.

I know right!:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's widely regarded as being soft by all. He's built like Tarzan and hits like Jane. We all know this. Doesn't detract from him being an integral part to our fwd line, just stating the obvious. And medical staff did the right thing by being cautious

Not by all. By armchair heroes on a footy forum. Jenkins has crashed into packs and taken a lot of contact.

The disrespect by softc0cks on here is pathetic.

Burton had a very good game, he will be out of contract this year maybe we will swap Doedee and a first for him

2 x firsts, sound familiar

Nah.

He not a natural defender. He wants to get into space for uncontested ball. That's a pretty easy role to play and not something we need.

Doedee is becoming more and more important. A true small to mid defender is our number one need.

I'll have to watch it again.
I was so pissed off with the umpiring, was a bit hard to enjoy watching.

Tex has two or three opponents on him for the entire match (was always going to happen once Jenkins went down)

He played extremely well when you consider this

Nah.

He not a natural defender. He wants to get into space for uncontested ball. That's a pretty easy role to play and not something we need.

Doedee is becoming more and more important. A true small to mid defender is our number one need.

26 possessions, 325 metres gained, 12 contested, 11 intercepts , 9 marks , 13 pressure acts

And you say he gets out on his own, do you know what you are writing

Suggests he had a very very very good game, I note he got in the best in the Sunday Mail, not bad for his 5 th game playing against a quality team like the crows

Nah.

How can you be important if we have never seen him play in the AFL?

What are you on

You are absolutely bloody right. Think about all those times in years gone by when a hawks player would just punch eddie in the stomach and the umps would simply ignore it. you could see that the hawks were trying to pull the same type of stunts today, but the difference today was the crows ignored it and focused on the game. This approach showed a high level of maturity and determination, this is some thing the crows have been lacking for a long time.

The Crows did not ignore it today. Eddie did get a punch in the stomach from Stratton well off the play. In fact when it was in the Hawks forward line in the first quarter, but we had gotten possession and were starting to try to bring it back down the ground. The commentators even noted that Eddie was on the ground and when he got up he went straight after Stratton. Did they bother to find the behind the goals vision they have? Nope. What happened just as we went back out to start the second quarter? Well, Tex had some pointed words to say to the umpire. Unfortunately that umpire was Nicholls, but he was told about it.

In the past, we have also tried to ignore it and just keep playing the game, but it's a bit hard when you are continually pulled off the ball, held onto, punched and sniped at. So many frees we should have had for being held in our forward line today, it was once again ridiculous.

26 possessions, 325 metres gained, 12 contested, 11 intercepts , 9 marks , 13 pressure acts

And you say he gets out on his own, do you know what you are writing

Suggests he had a very very very good game, I note he got in the best in the Sunday Mail, not bad for his 5 th game playing against a quality team like the crows
I thought Burton played very very well. I really liked the look of Doedee in the SANFL last year and it's definitely too early to make any meaningful comparisons, but there were times yesterday where I thought maybe we should have taken the super talented south aussie. Again, too early to tell, but pretty confident Burton will make it at AFL level and more.

For those lamenting the lack of run from Mackay in the first half of the game, well we also had a lack of run from Milera and Atkins too. Oh look, that's our wingmen. Could it have something to do with the game style that was dictated to at the start by Clarkson and then by the way we shut down their game plan? Pretty sure it did. Atkins only had 19 possessions and 1 goal, Cameron 17 possessions and 1 goal 2 points, Knight had 16 and Milera 16. I would even put Laird now in the group of where we get our run from and he was well down on his season average of 40 from last week to 21 ;) That tells me that it was a completely different game style from last week from the stats and even more so from watching the game last night.

For those lamenting the lack of run from Mackay in the first half of the game, well we also had a lack of run from Milera and Atkins too. Oh look, that's our wingmen. Could it have something to do with the game style that was dictated to at the start by Clarkson and then by the way we shut down their game plan? Pretty sure it did. Atkins only had 19 possessions and 1 goal, Cameron 17 possessions and 1 goal 2 points, Knight had 16 and Milera 16. I would even put Laird now in the group of where we get our run from and he was well down on his season average of 40 from last week to 21 ;) That tells me that it was a completely different game style from last week from the stats and even more so from watching the game last night.
Atkins after a very quiet first qtr had 12 at half time, Mackay 4 and which is the senior player in that group?

Anyone who wants to criticise Mackays start to this year is clearly not objective and just letting player bias cloud their judgement. Why not just be obective and hope he continues this form? I'll tell you what having been at the game yesterday he executed superbly when it mattered too.

The thing about Mackay's game is that he was extremely clutch when we needed to be. The rest of his game was relative crap, but working hard and keeping calm when the result is most at stake is oh so important.

If he didn't kick the 3 goals, I'd be calling for him to be dropped

Atkins after a very quiet first qtr had 12 at half time, Mackay 4 and which is the senior player in that group?

Which of them also went into the midfield at centre bounces?

Also, that means that after half time Atkins only had 6 possessions in the second half when we really needed to win the game. Which was the player who stepped up when we really needed it to win the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad v Hawthorn, Round 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back