Review Good/Bad v Hawthorn, Round 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Hampton seems to get caught alot. I am liking him tho. His agility looks good. I think he just needs minutes.

Agreed. I was disappointed with him. He was in the right places, got the ball in traffic many times, I was starting to get excited about his next play, and then he would fluff the disposal or get caught. I think he tries to do too much and it gets predictable that he will sidestep, jink, and continue to run with the ball. He needs to think a lot faster and handball quickly to advantage in many of these situations.

Irrelevant.

When the game started our players showed once again they weren't up to it.

Great that we recovered and won but there should be some alarm bells.

The last two finals debacles we got jumped at the start exactly like today and a number of our players were either invisible or deers in the headlights.

We've historically ignored these warning signs only for them to come back to haunt us in September. Cannot make that mistake again.

But we made the correction with enough time to win the game.

I do see your point, if we were smashed for that entire quarter. But we weren't.

Did not look like our guys were switched off, but did not expect so many Hawthorn players that high up the ground. The gap between our defenders and their forwards was too big allowing them that space to run into. Our defenders closed that gap and stuck with it all game, effectively stopping the Hawks run.

We then worked on other avenues to goal. Which included kicking to contests and backing our ability to take contested marks. Jacobs was big in this area. McGovern too.

Agreed. I was disappointed with him. He was in the right places, got the ball in traffic many times, I was starting to get excited about his next play, and then he would fluff the disposal or get caught. I think he tries to do too much and it gets predictable that he will sidestep, jink, and continue to run with the ball. He needs to think a lot faster and handball quickly to advantage in many of these situations.

That was the GWS criticism with him and why they traded him, the consensus there was he just tried to do way too much every time he got the ball.

I'm not sold and would rather see him dropped for Menzel

Real maturity to turn it around after the first quarter. We are going places in 2017.

Closed down their space and used our speed.

Hampton and Kelly disappointing and Jenkins injury could have a huge impact, but another great performance from 95% of the group.
Jenkins should be out for about 5 weeks.
Have you seen our fixture for the next 5 games? View it and it'll make you feel better I promise

Hampton bites off a bit more than he can chew at times when he takes people on, which he can probably do in the SANFL. When he learns his AFL limitations I think he'll be very valuable. I thought Otten really made some good contests in our forward half. Sauce gave Vickery the biggest bath in the 3rd quarter, and his precense around the ground was unbelievable.

I put $40 on the crows to win on the line out of the betting syndicate I'm in, except it wasn't my turn to bet and I didn't tell anyone about it. I was shitting bricks at quarter time. Loving life right now.

But we made the correction with enough time to win the game.

I do see your point, if we were smashed for that entire quarter. But we weren't.

Did not look like our guys were switched off, but did not expect so many Hawthorn players that high up the ground. The gap between our defenders and their forwards was too big allowing them that space to run into. Our defenders closed that gap and stuck with it all game, effectively stopping the Hawks run.

We then worked on other avenues to goal. Which included kicking to contests and backing our ability to take contested marks. Jacobs was big in this area. McGovern too.
That was game over against a good team

It was Crows Losing Finals 101

We were just fortunate that the Hawks of 2017 aren't the Hawks of 2008-16. Sure, from the position we put ourselves in we still had to win and get the 4 points. We did the job which is a big tick. On the road, at the MCG.

But as far as credibility for us to beat better teams in September we're still a long way off based on that start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hampton seems to get caught alot. I am liking him tho. His agility looks good. I think he just needs minutes.
Think it might just be the speed adjustment still coming. Might have an extra second in the SANFL (and probably 2-3 extra seconds in the NEAFL) that he doesn't get at AFL level. He's still working hard defensively though, so that's at least something.

Still unsure of Jacobs game. Some nice contested marking saved us, but he was up against Ty Vickery at times, so I'd be really worried if he didn't look good.

Did it against McEvoy as well, and also some of the contested marks were very important, like working hard back into defence. It was a strong performance in my opinion.

That was game over against a good team

It was Crows Losing Finals 101

We were just fortunate that the Hawks of 2017 aren't the Hawks of 2008-16. Sure, from the position we put ourselves in we still had to win and get the 4 points. We did the job which is a big tick. On the road, at the MCG.

But as far as credibility for us to beat better teams in September we're still a long way off based on that start.
Luckily we still have 20 games to work on it.

Having a coach identify make such an adjustment mid quarter is a big positive.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Did it against McEvoy as well, and also some of the contested marks were very important, like working hard back into defence. It was a strong performance in my opinion.
Don't rate McEvoy all that highly either.

I'm not completely righting it off, he worked his butt off, especially with Jenkins hurt early, but not ready to celebrate his return yet either.

Thought I would never, ever say this.

DAVID MACKAY YOU SUPERSTAR.

Game. Winning. Performance. Absolutely amazing from the whipping boy. Stood up in a pressure game when we were under the pump.

AND WE BEAT HAWTHORN!!!!! Despite a hideous umpiring performance again.

287935_np.jpg

If 13 possessions and 3 goals from the wing against 29 possessions and setting up 1st qtr goals are ok

Good:
Charlie Cameron. I thought this guy would be a good player but im starting to think we may have an A grader on our hands.
David Mackay. What the hell. Nowhere to be seen in the first quarter but built into it and really classy late.
Sam Jacobs. Best game for the club in a long long time. Keep up it bigfella.
Tex Walker. Best KP on the ground and really straightened us up.
Matt Crouch. Really liked his contested work as usual.
Sloane. Entered beast mode in the second half after a questionable first half.
Knight. Thought his running was huge all game.

Bad:
Douglas. One to forget Richard. More of R1 thanks and stop trying to be cute with your disposal. Either handball to a clearly free runner of run back of the mark and kick long.
Jenkins injury. Hopefully only a rib and 6 weeks out.
Kelly. Awful.
Hartigan. Really struggling. Lever in for Kelly and Otten to a scott stevens role? Really need cheney and Doedee fit come mid year.
Brodie Smith. Really hated his game.

Ugly:
Umpiring. I dont care anymore, its clearly corrupt.

Hampton bites off a bit more than he can chew at times when he takes people on, which he can probably do in the SANFL. When he learns his AFL limitations I think he'll be very valuable. I thought Otten really made some good contests in our forward half. Sauce gave Vickery the biggest bath in the 3rd quarter, and his precense around the ground was unbelievable.

I put $40 on the crows to win on the line out of the betting syndicate I'm in, except it wasn't my turn to bet and I didn't tell anyone about it. I was shitting bricks at quarter time. Loving life right now.
Cheeky bugger placing that bet.

How did you rate Lynch?

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad v Hawthorn, Round 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back