Review Good/Bad vs Collingwood, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

It's almost like opinions are based on exposed form.

Before the last couple of weeks he hadn't shown a great deal (including previous years games). Now he is starting to show something and so opinions change based off that.

I'm not sure what you are trying to prove.
Yep.. i’m one of those who have said recently he’s not gonna make it.. and I’m still sticking to that currently I’m affraid..

he had a good game last week and was great especially in the first half last night.. thought he dropped off a bit in the second.

whats that saying about a swallow and summer?.

rest of his games for us have been pretty bloody ordinary.

Happy to see him given the rest of the year to see if he can build on his last two weeks.

..but also remember we were playing Collingwoods “seconds” team past night. Wonder how he’d have gone if they had their full squad available..

His attutude looks to have changed. People want to see improvement and berg didnt show much even at sanfl level for past few yrs. Cut throat industry always has been if he didnt show somerhing at afl level im sure the club would have cut him end of yr. Interesting that frampton was brought in and plays the same pos and berg looks to be winning the spot.
Attitude, confidence, experience or all of the above. Who knows? Only berg himself and maybe some coaches would know. Bottom line is we need to be patient with kids and even more so with giant ones as they take longer.

His attutude looks to have changed. People want to see improvement and berg didnt show much even at sanfl level for past few yrs. Cut throat industry always has been if he didnt show somerhing at afl level im sure the club would have cut him end of yr. Interesting that frampton was brought in and plays the same pos and berg looks to be winning the spot.
Problem berg has is That hes OOC at end of year... frampton isnt.. got another two years after this one I think.
Tex is still contracted for next year so ultimately he’s gonna be here unless they can force him out or he himself decides to retire.

if we bring in Mcdonald or Thilthorpe (or even both!) berg, if he doesnt keep up his form of the last fortnight, has to be let go. He’s got 6 weeks to save his career.

Good
Obrien held his own in the ruck
Laird was great
Scholl composed
Mcpherson is a rock
Stengle brought intensity and moving around packs well
Mcadam better. Hope he stops flopping so much though
Himmelberg is starting to clunk them. You could see our players started having confidence and targeting him. Works well with Stengle.

Bad /Ugly
Tex was deplorable. The smothers and turnovers were big momentum killers. He shat himself when we kicked it over the back to him in the goal square. Any other key forward uses their body and marks that.
Fog was hopeless as well. Had some intensity in contests, just couldn't make anything stick and used it poorly
Mcasey was really bad. His kicking we know is bad, his hands were clumsy and his defending was poor.
Mchenry with his usual 8 touches and zero impact. Had a couple of nice blocks but really needs to get out of non statistical Wright territory.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Problem berg has is That hes OOC at end of year... frampton isnt.. got another two years after this one I think.
Tex is still contracted for next year so ultimately he’s gonna be here unless they can force him out or he himself decides to retire.

if we bring in Mcdonald or Thilthorpe (or even both!) berg, if he doesnt keep up his form of the last fortnight, has to be let go. He’s got 6 weeks to save his career.
I think Fogarty is the one that really needs to lift his game. Two weeks ago I was on the trade Berg bandwagon but in 2 games he has shown more than Fog has shown throughout his entire career. My attitude is that if McDonald and Thilthorpe plus a quality mid is achievable in the draft then we should make it happen. I'm not factoring in any of our current forwards as long term prospects yet. Currently we can't score like any bottom side on the ladder. Forward line and quality mids are the priority. The last 2 weeks have shown that with a restructured midfield and breaking even in that department our forward line and by extension our forward coach is the glaring weakness. It must be the primary focus. Our best structure i have seen from the players tried forward this year is Berg and McAsey with 4 speedy mids/smalls. Whether Nicks finally goes down that path until draft reinforcements come remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Haven't we learnt our lesson yet? Lever-knee went home due to repated calls to leave SA for more money in VIC. Gunston mummy's boy and money. If we take Hollands and Phillips there will be at least 8 Vic teams climbing all over them to return either end of 1 st year or OOC after 2. Take Thilthorpe, drop the #2 pick down a bit and get an extra pick next draft on top. Then take a Mid with the next 2 picks. Later the 3 SA lads linked to us.
Drop the number 2 pick down why ?? You do realise Hollands was born in Adelaide and lives in COUNTRY Victoria.

Best mate is already at the club too.

Good
Obrien held his own in the ruck
Laird was great
Scholl composed
Mcpherson is a rock
Stengle brought intensity and moving around packs well
Mcadam better. Hope he stops flopping so much though
Himmelberg is starting to clunk them. You could see our players started having confidence and targeting him. Works well with Stengle.

Bad /Ugly
Tex was deplorable. The smothers and turnovers were big momentum killers. He shat himself when we kicked it over the back to him in the goal square. Any other key forward uses their body and marks that.
Fog was hopeless as well. Had some intensity in contests, just couldn't make anything stick and used it poorly
Mcasey was really bad. His kicking we know is bad, his hands were clumsy and his defending was poor.
Mchenry with his usual 8 touches and zero impact. Had a couple of nice blocks but really needs to get out of non statistical Wright territory.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
We know McAseys kicking is bad do we ??

Im hoping tex plays on. Im not yet convinced that Fog is going to take over. Is odd plays well every 3-4 games and then looks like an amature. Maybe his body cant hold up to it anymore.
I think it's obvious his body is cooked, and the mind is following

Haven't we learnt our lesson yet? Lever-knee went home due to repated calls to leave SA for more money in VIC. Gunston mummy's boy and money. If we take Hollands and Phillips there will be at least 8 Vic teams climbing all over them to return either end of 1 st year or OOC after 2. Take Thilthorpe, drop the #2 pick down a bit and get an extra pick next draft on top. Then take a Mid with the next 2 picks. Later the 3 SA lads linked to us.
Most of our list is Victorian.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of our list is Victorian.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
We also fly there almost every second week providing plenty of opp for family catchups. I do think we need to review our pay structures. If we draft a star and develop them into an afl star then we need to pay star wages.

I think Fogarty is the one that really needs to lift his game. Two weeks ago I was on the trade Berg bandwagon but in 2 games he has shown more than Fog has shown throughout his entire career. My attitude is that if McDonald and Thilthorpe plus a quality mid is achievable in the draft then we should make it happen. I'm not factoring in any of our current forwards as long term prospects yet. Currently we can't score like any bottom side on the ladder. Forward line and quality mids are the priority. The last 2 weeks have shown that with a restructured midfield and breaking even in that department our forward line and by extension our forward coach is the glaring weakness. It must be the primary focus

Fogarty needs a decent fitness program, and Tex gone.

Kicked 22.5 in 20 games. Let's say he kicks 25 goals in 23 games, most would say that's a fair return for a 20 year old forward in his first "full year"(23 games).

I've thought the idea of asking for a priority pick was ridiculous. If the media want to keep bringing up the fact it's the first time since 1964 a team hasn't won a game, maybe we should make it work for us. Even if it's an end of first round pick.

Works a treat for the Vic sides over the years.
Guarantee you we will NOT get one.
Port are flying ATM and the AFL only needs one successful team in each interstate city. Look at Sydney and Freo and Brisbane when they were shit.
Plus we have bad draft history with the AFL so they will not give us a leg-up.

It’s really hard balance assessing the kids. I look at Stengle who has played just 8 games, and he just looks to have the tools to make it.

Last night I watched Sholl running full tilt under pressure and hitting Tex with a perfect pass on his left. That kind of skill under immense pressure says he’ll make it. Also some of the really calm decisions he made were a highlight.

EH needed patience because of his size of course.

It’s right that patience is required and no final calls should be made before 40-50 games, but with that said you like to see some signs.

Ugly:

My pissweak Collingwood supporting Uncle waiting til immediately after the 2 goals in 10 secs debacle to text me "you watching the game?"

fu** off dog hit me up when you're down, don't come saying hi at this very second - weak as piss I'll be having words with him

I would simply say...typical Pies supporter!
I had the same thing happen at 3 quarter time from one of mine. Told him to f...off and hung up. Band-wagoners.
I have not been to a live Collingwood match since the 2009 semi loss. Getting spat on and abused in the members of the G after that game was disgusting. They are pig supporters.

I think we all need to stop and appreciate just how good Rory Laird's game last night actually was. I don't think its overzealous to say that is was probably in the top 3 Midfield performance by a Crow in the last 3 years. Might well be the best. Think about his stats, remembering given the shortened quarters he's done this in essentially 3/4's or a normal length game.

37 disposals (18K:17H), 17 contested, 10 clearances, 9 tackles, 466 meters gained, 6 inside 50's, 7 score involvements, 4 intercepts, 76% disposal efficiency.

That's insane, and whats more crazy is I really don't remember more then 1 or 2 cheap possessions. Most looked very hard earned through contest or hard running. Just hunts the footy and the body like a man possessed. Also am I crazy or does he look a step or 2 faster as a mid then he ever has a defender? Seems to have a much better 5m burst then I gave him credit for.

I was all for trading him earlier in the season (when he was a ineffectual rebound defender), but if he's able to perform like that then he's a must keep!

We are rebuilding so I don’t care about the result tonight. However I do care about how badly McAsey played tonight. It hurt the team beyond what I expected from a first round draftee. It made me very sad. I just hope it was an off night and not what we can expect for the future.

Btw - just delist hartigan now. He should be providing a lot more leadership and structure setup (eg. voice) than he shows for a 100+ player, which amazingly he is.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just to depress you here is an article on how cursed Pick 6 is:

I would simply say...typical Pies supporter!
I had the same thing happen at 3 quarter time from one of mine. Told him to f...off and hung up. Band-wagoners.
I have not been to a live Collingwood match since the 2009 semi loss. Getting spat on and abused in the members of the G after that game was disgusting. They are pig supporters.

He has since claimed he forgot about the game being a Tuesday (plausible) and only turned the game on at just before 3/4 time (convenient if true)

Still he lost his chance to gloat and I let him have it and he said it was fair enough

It’s really hard balance assessing the kids. I look at Stengle who has played just 8 games, and he just looks to have the tools to make it.

Last night I watched Sholl running full tilt under pressure and hitting Tex with a perfect pass on his left. That kind of skill under immense pressure says he’ll make it. Also some of the really calm decisions he made were a highlight.

EH needed patience because of his size of course.

It’s right that patience is required and no final calls should be made before 40-50 games, but with that said you like to see some signs.
Sholl was a bright spot for me. You could tell he was out of gas in the last quarter but he willed himself to keep going and being in the right spots. Plus his disposal and composure held up even through obvious fatigue.

Plus he had a much more balanced games. Played through the 4 quarters.

He's probably 2-3 offseasons from being a finished product, but man, he has the ingredients to be as silky a ball user as we've had at the club.

Thats crap, Laird was good tonight. He might have missed a few handballs but he got in there and got the ball out. His kicking wasn't intercepted which was a nice change. Good game from Laird tonight.
Not saying he didn't play well just not sure he is going to be the answer in the mid field long term. I mean if your ok with handballs back and forth with MCrouch that go no where good for you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad vs Collingwood, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Back