• James Rowe

• Harry Schoenberg

• Jake Soligo

• Brodie Smith

• Taylor Walker

• Riley Thilthorpe

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not Hately's fault, but he provides nothing close to the damaging play that we need from a wingman

Really need to find some Langdon-like outside class this off-season
Like I said previous in the other thread he should be in the centre bounces and soligio on the wing

On ASUS_I003D using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can you explain this is more detail ?

Our value from winning hit outs is non existent. As I posted prior to the game, without an opposing ruckman, we’d dominate hit outs but break even at clearances. And then there’s the quality differential where ours are territory gaining kicks from the pressure area whereas our opponents run out clear of pressure with ball in hand.

But as a fundamental philosophy, we don’t connect ROB’s hitout dominance with the fact we broke even at the stoppage. And we then wilfully ignore the quality component of the raw statistic.

So our coaching group ticks off ROB for hitout dominance, ticks off the mids for breaking even at clearances against the league’s best and then pats themselves on the back for a great midfield coaching event.

But reality is that there remains a massive coaching issue with how we approach the stoppage contest. Melbourne can overcook a handball to the snoz of a teammate and still end up running forward of our pressure because they overlap run within the contest. We have no idea how to generate run from a stoppage and it’s been the same for years.

Might have had a chance if O'Brien wasn't 5 minutes late for the game.

Melbourne incrementally better in absolutely everything. A mistake from the crows is a turnover there and then; A mistake from the Demons is a turnover 50m up the ground that at least clears the area. Over the course of a match these things add up.

edit: Good opposition is also aware of how the opposition play and adjust accordingly. They know Adelaide will block an easy pass in preference to defending the goal, and cash in with easy goals as a result.

Please disappear Lachlan Murphy from first 22 forever. K thnx.

This is what I mean about idiots on this board sinking the boots into Fogarty for bizzare reasons.

Im not sinking the boot in. Its an observation. Have you thought my comment may not necessarily be about Fogarty personally. Its all to do with his development. I think he will be a great player. He just isnt right now because of things. So take your amateur hour style defence and grow up. When you can put your big boy pants on and make comments without insulting people maybe you will be taken seriously.

Like I said previous in the other thread he should be in the centre bounces and soligio on the wing

On ASUS_I003D using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don't mind seeing Soligo get centre bounces, but yeah, if Hately's in the side he needs to be playing in the middle. Otherwise it exposes the lack of damaging disposal and pace

Just shells of players past. The end coming quickly for Smith IMO and Doedee has reverted to just ordinary

Doedee and Butts are having to play too much into their weaknesses to cover for the deficiencies of Murray.

No real excuse for Smith.

Also some individual player observations:
  • Soligo: what a find. That side step to open up space in the middle was sublime
  • Berry: tackling machine against massive opposition bodies. Shame he can’t kick

• Smith: struggling to see what he has to offer lately
  • Hateley: I’m glad we’ve given him a chunk of games ro see how he goes. The answer is not very well. Amongst the worst users of the ball in the team - and that’s saying something
Hately is fine as an inside mid, but he’s lost on the wing.

Last edited:
So shattered that he cruised to a 16disp/3 goal average in the SANFL.

There is definitely deserved criticism for dropping Thilthorpe, however it's more that we didn't recognise that there was nothing to gain with that axing. Not that we hurt his confidence.

AFL confidence. Does it need to be said lol.

I have every confidence he will rebound. Shown some good things tonight. Just not sure he is getting the development he needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our value from winning hit outs is non existent. As I posted prior to the game, without an opposing ruckman, we’d dominate hit outs but break even at clearances. And then there’s the quality differential where ours are territory gaining kicks from the pressure area whereas our opponents run out clear of pressure with ball in hand.

But as a fundamental philosophy, we don’t connect ROB’s hitout dominance with the fact we broke even at the stoppage. And we then wilfully ignore the quality component of the raw statistic.

So our coaching group ticks off ROB for hitout dominance, ticks off the mids for breaking even at clearances against the league’s best and then pats themselves on the back for a great midfield coaching event.

But reality is that there remains a massive coaching issue with how we approach the stoppage contest. Melbourne can overcook a handball to the snoz of a teammate and still end up running forward of our pressure because they overlap run within the contest. We have no idea how to generate run from a stoppage and it’s been the same for years.
The O'Brien/Laird partnership is 3rd in the AFL for clearances but they are obviously ignoring effective clearances.

AFL confidence. Does it need to be said lol.

I have every confidence he will rebound. Shown some good things tonight. Just not sure he is getting the development he needs.

Confidence is confidence. If it was actually shattered, it would have shown up with the axing.

Whilst he's flying for balls and not being hopeless in marking contests, he's getting the development he needs. The rest clicks with time.

Crouch played bloody good footy today. If he can replicate that in the firsts, you’d have him every day.
I wouldn't. 21 handballs and 20 kicks tells you he hasn't learnt.

I want 3 games of more kicks than handballs. Especially the handballs he makes

Crouch played bloody good footy today. If he can replicate that in the firsts, you’d have him every day.
He just doesn’t two way defend and just coasts to the next stoppage if we normally turn it over. As much as he gets it in the stoppage area he’s a liability elsewhere on spread. The games gone past him.

Those OOF's were pretty bad, reckon there mightve been about 8, could tolerate maybe 4 on a bad day.
A couple of aerial contests where the ball got over the back when it shouldn't have were another prob.

Umpires were pretty good, let a lot go but it went both ways. I know we were leading the free kick count by a fair bit up to 3/4 time, dunno how it ended up.

There was some good tap on, soccer kicks that sort of things-other-than-take-possession-of-it that I liked today.

I didn't think Jones, Smith or Doedee were too bad, can't see what others on here are going on about. Murray was one I didn't mention earlier that I thought was on a bit of a downer today compared to recent weeks. We should've tried him in ruck again.

I wouldn't. 21 handballs and 20 kicks tells you he hasn't learnt.

I want 3 games of more kicks than handballs. Especially the handballs he makes
Did you watch the game? I did. The handballs were to advantage this week. There was only one instance where he put a player under pressure. He was much much better today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad vs Melbourne, R16 2022

Back