• Lachlan Sholl

• Tom Doedee

• Jordon Butts

• Reilly O'Brien

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Just finished watching the replay?

How good was that?

Pretty much the whole team played well. Smith probably BOG but I loved Milera's game. Hinge, Parnell, Sholl and Jones all provided a huge amount of outside run, while Soligo was a lot more precise with his kicking this week.

Murphy very good again. Is making really good decisions with ball in hand this year.

The forward line got the job done.

Pedlar going into the middle and doing well was the absolute highlight for mine.

Thilthorpe's knee the only worry.

Maybe but it was like the last play of the quarter. I'd be sure the coaches instructions on this would be to soak up time and take the shot, we were already up by 5 goals, no need to give the Saints a chance to kick a goal that late on.

I get where you are coming from because Rachelle does take it upon himself a little more than he should but he is an elite talent who trusts in his own ability. It will be the next step in his development to be more team oriented but this play wasn't it.
I'm rarely critical of players taking shots with less than a minute on the clock, would never live it down if the siren went after passing.

Thoughts on this?

Thilthorpe around 25 metres in the clear, Rachelle ignores him and goes back to kick......... a point. This is not uncommon for him.

When it comes to the crunch, is a bit of goal hog. Not great.

View attachment 1687982
Yes and no. Team instructions would help clarify

I was more concerned he gets too close to the man on the mark to kick it and needs to chip it instead of kicking through

Thoughts on this?

Thilthorpe around 25 metres in the clear, Rachelle ignores him and goes back to kick......... a point. This is not uncommon for him.

View attachment 1687982
Yeah.. that was just selfish.

Needs to get that out of his game and no doubt it will be raised in the review.

The lad should be dragged over the coals for it.

You're dreaming if you think the Suns let a contracted pick 7 go basically in his 2nd year of top level football for a 2nd rounder, especially given he wouldn't be on big money yet. If they want to clear cap space he'd be low on that scale.
Agreed.

I think both our seconds could make it happen though, whether GCS takes them or they're ontraded for a first.

Also:
Good: I'm happy with my previous calls on Lachy Murphy vs Macadam.
Bad: I like Macadam too, but he's a luxury player we can't afford.
Ugly: People will still try to convince me that Macadam is better.
Geez… anyone would think murphy has played great in every single game this year..

He’s played very well in the last two games and had a decent game in round 3 IIRC..

His other games were pretty ordinary.

Lets see if he can continue to back it up before we go too overboard.

He’s not a youngster anymore he’s 24. He needs to be, and should be, playing a complete and consistent game nearly every week at this stage of his career.

The knock on him isnt whether he can play decent footy.. its always been about his inconsistency and how often he goes MIA.

Hopefully he’s turned a corner and the last two weeks is the murphy we’ll see for the rest of the year.

Mcadam is a far better small/medium forward.. far better. But… If McAdam was right to go its not murph that I would dump for him at the moment.. its ben keays that goes out of that forward line first ATM.. he’s been hot garbage and selfish at the same time.

Agreed.

I think both our seconds could make it happen though, whether GCS takes them or they're ontraded for a first.
The suns have two potentially top 10 Academy players in the draft this year..

We should be looking to trade our 2024 1st and one of our two 2023 seconds for the suns 2023 1st and 2024 second and maybe get a trade for Hollands in on the deal somehow.

Both clubs would benefit especially if Tyler Welsh still looks like being a high draftee next year..

Just finished watching the replay?

How good was that?

Pretty much the whole team played well. Smith probably BOG but I loved Milera's game. Hinge, Parnell, Sholl and Jones all provided a huge amount of outside run, while Soligo was a lot more precise with his kicking this week.

Murphy very good again. Is making really good decisions with ball in hand this year.

The forward line got the job done.

Pedlar going into the middle and doing well was the absolute highlight for mine.

Thilthorpe's knee the only worry.
Great summary 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thoughts on this?

View attachment 1687982
Commented at the time that I thought he could have kicked over the top, although I felt he was getting closed down quickly which a still frame doesn’t show.

Geez… anyone would think murphy has played great in every single game this year..

He’s played very well in the last two games and had a decent game in round 3 IIRC..

He’s not a youngster anymore he’s 24. He needs to be, and should be, playing a complete and consistent game nearly every week at this stage of his career.

The knock on him isnt whether he can play decent footy.. its always been about his inconsistency and how often he goes MIA.

Hopefully he’s turned a corner and the last two weeks is the murphy we’ll see for the rest of the year.

Mcadam is a far better small/medium forward.. far better. But… If McAdam was right to go its not murph that I would dump for him at the moment.. its ben keays that goes out of that forward line first ATM.. he’s been hot garbage and selfish at the same time.
Murphy 2 sub par games this year I reckon , the 2 previous to Geelong game

The others have been big ticks

Who had the most goal assists on the whole ground yesty ?

Double the next best too !

I don’t think McAdams 1 goal and 10 possessions a game deep forward pushes its way in given the balance of forward line

Thoughts on this?

View attachment 1687982
I was right behind this and the screenshot you've showed is a bit misleading imo. TT was free but it was 50/50 imo whether he should have gone to him. The Saints player made up ground very quickly and Rachele wasn't back from the mark so would have had to snap it to him. Bit of risk there.

In saying that though I do think he's goal hungry in general, but he usually converts so this isn't such a bad thing. Goal kicking has been off lately though.

Thoughts on this?

View attachment 1687982
Agreed. The last 20 seconds of the Collingwood game springs to mind also. Needs to do the team thing. He's only very young, so hope he can iron this out.

I was right behind this and the screenshot you've showed is a bit misleading imo. TT was free but it was 50/50 imo whether he should have gone to him. The Saints player made up ground very quickly and Rachele wasn't back from the mark so would have had to snap it to him. Bit of risk there.

In saying that though I do think he's goal hungry in general, but he usually converts so this isn't such a bad thing. Goal kicking has been off lately though.
I agree. By the time the ball got to TT it would have been a 50-50 contest at best. And Rachele wasn't positioned to make the kick (to TT), as you say. When watching on the TV, I winced a bit at the idea that Rachele might attempt the pass. Rachele may be a bit of a hungry hippo at times, but he was entitled to take that kick, it was well within his capabilities (albeit he's been a bit off lately).

Thoughts on this?

View attachment 1687982
I wonder if it was on the other side of the ground he would have wheeled onto the right and made the pass. I don’t have a problem with this, the saints defender was sprinting back to cover so would have actually needed to be a good kick to TT - which I’d back Rash on the right to do easily but 50:50 on tbe left

Football is life!

anigif_sub-buzz-1741-1665166694-6.gif

Yeah.. that was just selfish.

Needs to get that out of his game and no doubt it will be raised in the review.

The lad should be dragged over the coals for it.
Rachele is a tricky one.

His exuberance is important and can lift the team, so you don't want to squash it. BUT, he needs to as keen when the team kicks a goal as when he does.
I like that he wants the ball and has confidence in taking a kick at goal (even if it isn't working right now). But you don't want him burning better options because of it.

We've seen what happened to Jones when we killed his confidence and how long it took to get back. I just hope our coaches are good at it, because killing Josh's confidence could impact his performance greatly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad vs St Kilda, R9 2023

Back