• Brodie Smith

• Lachlan Sholl

• Tom Doedee

• Jordon Butts

• Reilly O'Brien

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Also:
Good: I'm happy with my previous calls on Lachy Murphy vs Macadam.
Bad: I like Macadam too, but he's a luxury player we can't afford.
Ugly: People will still try to convince me that Macadam is better.
They are very different players, Murphy is a mid being used currently as a high half forward pressure player/connector, surely you've noticed him getting busy around forward stoppage and boundary clearances.

McAdam is solely a goalkicking pressure medium forward with top end aerial talent.

Thoughts on this?

Thilthorpe around 25 metres in the clear, Rachelle ignores him and goes back to kick......... a point. This is not uncommon for him.

When it comes to the crunch, is a bit of goal hog. Not great.

View attachment 1687982

One other point, Rachelle after taking the mark is stationary whilst the St Kilda player at top of screen is still running and may have got to Thilthorpe by the time Rachelle kicked to him. If Rachelle was still moving when he marked the ball then the pass to Thilthorpe was still on.

Might be reading it incorrectly but perhaps he thought he might shank the kick (he can do that).

is there a sweeter off-the-boot kick in the entire AFL?
"Sweeter"? No. Plus we have another 2 elite kicks in Fogarty and Dawson.
Tex's ability to 'snap' a goal from 35-50m out off one step is uncanny :oops:.
Have a bo-peep @ the Highlights package at the 3.45 mark --- "he can do it off both sides!".
Beautiful.
No there is not, so shuddup.
Reminded me of:

Just want to thank Luke Pedlar for proving my hunch right. Been wanting him to get 5-8 CBA's since round 2, and i'm so happy we finally saw it!. And Luke certainly did not disappoint!

Have to say, he looked fairly stuffed at the end of the game, so he's obviously gonna have to be drip fed midfield time this year. But man, that kid could literally be anything in this league. As close to that scary "Dusty/Danger like" player that we've seen in the tri-stripe in a loooooooonngg time!

How was the spoil on Darcy Fogarty yesterday.
It was just amusing after the Van Rooyen incident how everyone brought up Fogarty then he cops the same thing this week.
Fogarty was not injured but clearly got a fist to the face and not even a free kick.

How was the spoil on Darcy Fogarty yesterday.
It was just amusing after the Van Rooyen incident how everyone brought up Fogarty then he cops the same thing this week.
Fogarty was not injured but clearly got a fist to the face and not even a free kick.
The whole mro/reporting system is a complete circus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just want to thank Luke Pedlar for proving my hunch right. Been wanting him to get 5-8 CBA's since round 2, and i'm so happy we finally saw it!. And Luke certainly did not disappoint!

Have to say, he looked fairly stuffed at the end of the game, so he's obviously gonna have to be drip fed midfield time this year. But man, that kid could literally be anything in this league. As close to that scary "Dusty/Danger like" player that we've seen in the tri-stripe in a loooooooonngg time!
As soon as we subbed Laird off i said get Pedlar in the middle, i think we need to do that more often. whenever there is a chance to give him midfield minutes just do it.

The list managements push for players who can kick goals is really showing. You have Carlton who if they don't get goals from McKay and Curnow don't kick many, and then us who if Tex and Fog don't kick a heap, there's 5 other players who can kick a bunch.
During the game yesterday, the commentary team was remarking on the Crows' ball movement, and they asked Roo if there had been a focus on that in drafting, he said "yes, speed and skill". Now the cynics would say "well, he would say that, after the event", but I'll take it at face value because - well, because the evidence is out on the field.

Yeah.. that was just selfish.

Needs to get that out of his game and no doubt it will be raised in the review.

The lad should be dragged over the coals for it.
I saw Rachele gesturing for Doedee to spoil the ball rather than try to mark it in the replay, when Saints got that goalsquare goal. I liked that leadership from a younger player.

He's played 4 AFL games and was dropped on form, form at the lower level has only been fair, poor on the weekend.

Yeah I get that but so was Rankine in his second season at GCS. All I am saying is take a punt on elite talent underperforming at a club notorious for not getting the best out of the talent it acquires. If you can wangle it for a second rounder, all good,the club has traded out our second rounders the previous 2 years. Either use them for better draft capital or get a player out of GCS

The list managements push for players who can kick goals is really showing. You have Carlton who if they don't get goals from McKay and Curnow don't kick many, and then us who if Tex and Fog don't kick a heap, there's 5 other players who can kick a bunch.
ben Keays 9 games for just 5 goals.. 3 of them in the carlton game. Take that carlton game out and he’s kicked just two goals in 8 games as mostly a small forward. Two.

One of them he pinched off Pedlar yesterday.

L. Murphy 8 games for just 2 goals.

I understand the concept that we have these two in the side to provide this mystical “forward pressure” beast and push into the midfield when required but..

Just 7 measly goals from 17 games all up between them?.. thats a very fxxkn low return for 70/30 forward/mids..

Surely we can find a couple of small forward players that can provide the same defensive pressure and kick, at the very least, a goal or maybe two a game.

ben Keays 9 games for just 5 goals.. 3 of them in the carlton game. Take that carlton game out and he’s kicked just two goals in 8 games as mostly a small forward. Two.

I understand the concept that we have these two in the side to provide this mystical “forward pressure” beast and push into the midfield when required but..

Just 7 measly goals from 17 games all up between them?.. thats a very fxxkn low return for 70/30 forward/mids..

Surely we can find a couple of small forward players that can provide the same defensive pressure and kick, at the very least, a goal or maybe two a game.
I think we only need one of them

Both are equal top for goal assists though.

Not every player in a best 22 forward line is there to kick multiple goals every week

Murphy and Keays are both top 20 for goal assists per game in the league, both also average around 6 score involvements a game - we have enough potent goal kickers currently in the side as it stands that we don’t necessarily need them to kick the goals themselves, rather consistently help find the best avenue to goal

A
Not every player in a best 22 forward line is there to kick multiple goals every week

Murphy and Keays are both top 20 for goal assists per game in the league, both also average around 6 score involvements a game - we have enough potent goal kickers currently in the side as it stands that we don’t necessarily need them to kick the goals themselves, rather consistently help find the best avenue to goal
IMO “Goal assists” is another one of those clear as mud bullshit stats like “disposal efficiency” that are really fxxkn dodgy to be hanging your hat on when discussing a players effectiveness in a game..

Its another “how the fxxk do they fairly and equally attribute that stat to a player”

But.. All right.. i’ll go with it and adjust my comment to say..

Surely we can find another couple of small forwards that provide forward pressure AND get involved in goal assists.. that also kick atleast 1 goal a game…

Its not like being involved in a goal assist is somehow an un-achievable mean feat for your average small forward.

If we hadve squeezed just 1 goal a game out of both these lads then we probably wouldve won the pies game for a start.. and been much closer in a couple of others..

Both of them scored 0.0 in that pies game..

Thats two of your forwards not even bothering the scoreboard attendant.

Surely we can dump one of these two and find a player to replace them that can apply pressure, gets involved in general play for score assists and, most importantly, consistently hits the scoreboard..

It can be the difference vetween a win or a close loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad vs St Kilda, R9 2023

Back