Preview Grand Final Mighty Hawks vs Fremantle - 28 September 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the '91 GF (my first). I was only 14 but I remember all the talk was that WCE was going to belt us. We're too old, too slow, etc... Well, we know what happened that day. I watched "The Final Story: 1991 Grand Final" today - it has given me even more confidence for this weekends granny. GO HAWKS!

We need a new slogan

1991 "Too Old, Too Slow"

2013 "Too Pretty, Too Precise"

Too Good

Great post! You've nailed it!! This is what I said last week - and it very nearly cost us, when we kicked poorly.

I'd re-emphasise that this is again the most important aspect for us as a team on Saturday. We will win our shots on goal, like we always do.. but we absolutely must make the most of our chances that present, especially early.
Do this. We Win. Comfortably!

Yep and it is more important against Freo. They are not a blow you apart type team. They are defence orientated so they have struggled to haul in margins. If we can put a 4 - 5 goal gap on them by 1/2 time we should be able to hold them and run away with it. I think we have concentrated on this in the last 2 or 3 meetings. Maybe they will be awake to it this time.

I expect them to come out firing. I also expect them to blow themselves up and fade. We are much harder than the swans to pressure for a whole game because we spread the game apart quite a bit and we force teams to man up all the time, which has exhausted opposition teams when they try to apply manic pressure for 4 qtrs. I think this is why people have used the ropadope analogy with us because we are absorbing teams pressure and then countering when they falter. We also don't have 18 tackling targets within a 10 meter square area, like the Swans, and that is usually how Freo like it to be.

At last I have heard two commentators who think Hawthorn will win! On Mark Fine's show on SEN just now Nigel Carmody and Adrian Fletcher both tipped Hawthorn to win. I am not living in the twilight zone afterall.

It was refreshing to hear an honest and open conversation about the game, didn't end up hearing the tips for the game, who did Mark Fine tip? He had us beating Geelong by 7 goals last week after having tipped Sydney the week before.

I noticed that 2 of the 3 panellists on AFL insider tipped us, Brad Scott summed it up well I thought, said for as good as Fremantle are defensively Hawthorn are very underrated in this area and also have weapons that no team can match.

I think the media flogs like the 3 old has beens on "On the Couch" change their minds like the wind, with the impressive performance of Fremantle fresh in the mind they couldn't wait to get on and drool and fondle and spew up bullshit about them, I'd take their opinion with a grain of salt.

I also heard a bloke that does some stuff for SEN in Sydney, Russell Barwick say today that if you are on the Hawks get in the cue now, dead set morals, his opinion carries little weight but not everyone is against us.

Lets be honest at the end of the day what the media says has no impact on the result on Saturday but some of the rubbish being spun early in the week made for putrid listening, thank god the entire football world has not gone mad.

It was refreshing to hear an honest and open conversation about the game, didn't end up hearing the tips for the game, who did Mark Fine tip? ...

As they had been talking to the woman who is going to be doing the Greek commentary on GF day, Finey gave his tip in Greek so I have no idea what it was o_O (wasn't paying enough attention to the other segment when they obviously translated the two team names into Greek).

I couldn't help it lol, when I saw, watch out for the purple army, marching to the G. Mardie gras anyone?
Don't forget the blow up anchors and dolls

The inflatable anchors... so weird. Bit like an inflatable anvil - take something innately hard and heavy then make it as soft as possible.

Given the fearsome reputation for aggression and hardness that Crowley has attained, almost mythical really, then it's not hard to imagine there being a few secret (or not so secret) inflatable Crowleys making the journey across the border. The distinctive sound of cheap air compressors can be heard coming from cheap hotel rooms across Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not underrating Freo. They have a good solid side with plenty of young talent, a genuine out and out champion forward, and a man mountain in the ruck. They also have a great tagger. On top of that, they are in form at the right time.

All that said, the hype about them is OTT. Anyone who has played a physical team sport knows what the Swans were going through last week - you're tired, you start going backwards, the other team lifts its tail and goes harder, and it all goes to sh1t very fast.

Can see some potential for Freo to get up, but I think the odds are about right. If we play our best we'll win comfortably, if we don't, could well get done.

Media does seem to have conveniently forgotten about experience and class in all their drooling over Freo. All good by me; our rampant favourite status last year made me feel sick.

Great post! You've nailed it!! This is what I said last week - and it very nearly cost us, when we kicked poorly.

I'd re-emphasise that this is again the most important aspect for us as a team on Saturday. We will win our shots on goal, like we always do.. but we absolutely must make the most of our chances that present, especially early.
Do this. We Win. Comfortably!

For all the talk about Freo being defensive, they don't necessarily double team the opposition tall forwards (all of the time). I think this is why we have beaten then comfortably in the past. Buddy and roughy are never going for a mark on on one against geelong. The dockers will allow this to happen often enough for these two, with gunston and Hale in support, to take enough marks inside 50 and have enough shots at goal to win it. It's a matter of converting AND TAKING NOTE OF WHICH SIDE OF THE GOALS the ball is missing if a lot of points are being kicked, and adjusting to this.

Without getting too far off topic, this whole Freo media bandwagon is indicative of the media/journalism in Australia atm. It's reactive and they are prone to get hysterical over anything that will sell news in the now to the "now" generation. Anybody remember Ashton Agar from the First Ashes Test? Heard the media banging on about him lately like they did during the First Test?
No - well I certainly haven't.
Now, back on topic -
GO HAWKERS!!!! Stick it up 'em!!!!!!

Good luck for the game on Saturday, I will certainly be cheering you on. Got a new level of respect for your team from watching the prelim last Friday, the team was really brave (not Jobe Watson "brave") in the way they faced their demons last Friday, stared defeat in the face but wouldn't accept it and found a way to win. I'm confident that your boys will do the job on Saturday.

At first I was somewhat worried about Sandilands, then I realised Max is big enough to match him as Sandi doesn't jump much. We will be Ok in the middle, at ball ups and throw ins we may need a third man up though.

At first I was somewhat worried about Sandilands, then I realised Max is big enough to match him as Sandi doesn't jump much. We will be Ok in the middle, at ball ups and throw ins we may need a third man up though.

Everyone I speaks to keeps harping on about how tall Sandilands is and how his reach will let him dominate our rucks. I keep telling them that he barely leaves the ground (if ever) and that Bailey can jump more than the 6cm to close the gap in height.

I hope we win comfortably, don't think I can handle another close game. But wow what a prelim! I enjoyed that even more than the 08 GF. Must have been all that built up stress over the years. Selwood on his knees after the game also gave me some comfort.

I put $100 on Guerra knocking out Mayne or Fyfe with a shoulder to the chin. Reckless, high impact. Any bookies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back