Preview Grand Final Mighty Hawks vs Fremantle - 28 September 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oi oi!

Just wanted to pop in and note that the one sided media attention is unbelievable. No idea why it's so uneven but I guess the media loves an underdog story. There is an article on Foxsports today titled "What If's". It goes over all the negatives if Hawks don’t win and one or two for Freo. It reeks of anti-Hawk BS. When you add in the tipping and Sheehan's Clarko coaching WCE call, it's been a pretty lame build up.
While it's nice for us long suffering Freo fans it's not fair for you guys who have every right to enjoy a few feel good stories about your club considering the year they've had. TBH I can only see this all being a plus for your boys.

On a side note Ross and the troops are only doing heaps of press over there as the media has turned into an absolute circus.

Anyway, after all is said and done, Saturday arvo we can all go nuts and watch our boys go to the death against each other. There is no doubt in my mind that whoever wins this year will be extremely deserving of the premiership. Good luck guys!

J

Well said.

Would be great if this attitude was the general theme for the build up. Two great teams, one with an incredible defense, the other with incredible attack both with everything to play for.

It is funny though that if we were receiving all the praise we'd probably be screaming at the media to look at Fremantle's awesomeness :D

I know exactly what you mean GH. I was really looking forward to this week but it's been even worse than last year with everyone except Hawthorn supporters jumping on the Freo bandwagon. The comments by Mike Sheehan last night were the last straw and I nearly burst into to tears when I heard them :( (and I am not usually an emotional person). I am hoping a visit to training tomorrow will restore my spirits.

Try to ignore the media comments which is easier said than done. Last year I got sucked in with the comments and started to doubt my team's ability. The media comments this year are worse and are making me a bit nervous but I am doing my best to stay upbeat. If anyone starts to doubt the team, remember that we've finished at the top of the ladder for a reason, we've beaten Fremantle before and that the media have gotten many predictions wrong (take 11 out of the past 12 games against Geelong for example). Ignore anyone mistaking a bit of confidence for arrogance, we're not going to wallow in pessimism before the game has even started because everyone else is tipping the Dockers.

Personally I rather the media in general focus on Freo - huge amount of pressure for that's clubs first GF.

I've watched a few of the interviews on Hawks TV and the boys are very relaxed which is what I want to see from my team.

I have a dilemma fellas (and whatever the girl version of Fellas is... wait... don't answer that!)

Anyway, I digress...

It seems I have been in a marvellous dream all year and have just awoken, although I don't remember sleeping all year. In my dream my beloved, and somewhat mighty, Hawks had won 19 games, finally beaten Geelong and knocked them out of the finals, slain last years premiers 3 times by an average of over 6 goals and shoved if fair up the Dictators un holy after we were shafted with the draw from hell. As you could imagine it was a marvellous dream. Today I seem to awoken to a world where Freo went through the season undefeated, play a style of footy that is not only desirable and mesmerising, but is seemingly indestructible. I am also seeing that we are not given a chance on Saturday and the team should just not show up at all.

Can someone explain what has happened??

Seriously though, I hope the coaches and leaders in the playing group are using this as additional motivation. Similar to the "too old, too slow" jibes of 91.

I hope the players come out and stick to playing our game style, as it is more than suitable for finals. Jordan Lewis was correct, looking at the stats will show you that we are just as good as they are when it comes to pressure indicators. It also shows that we lead them in areas of inside 50's, Clearances, centre clearances and we have been the best team when it comes to clangers during the finals. Funny, because I was sure I was having it drilled into me that WE were the team that would not handle the pressure. Who has lead the clangers in the finals..... any takers.... FREO.

All this says is that sentiment makes the media feel all warm and fuzzy, and going by the talk this week it even gets a few of them a little rigid, but cold hard facts really do put things into perspective. All we need to do is do what we have done well all year and play our game plan more than we allow Freo to play theirs.

Put early score board pressure on Freo and we should be fine. We MUST take our chances this week. Basic stuff.

There are a few match up's that I think will swing into our favour. Players like Hale, Gunston, Birchall and Smith could all potentially have big games. If Bailey breaks even in the ruck, we'll win. I remember in Round 2 against WCE Bailey beat Cox. Although Sandilands is likely to win the hitouts, as long as Bailey is competing with his tackling pressure, second and third efforts, we will then gain the upper hand in the midfield.

One thing I don't understand is everyone in the media banging on about Fremantle midfield and how it's better overall then the Hawks. Since when is Fremantle midfield better then ours? What is that based on?

There are a few match up's that I think will swing into our favour. Players like Hale, Gunston, Birchall and Smith could all potentially have big games. If Bailey breaks even in the ruck, we'll win. I remember in Round 2 against WCE Bailey beat Cox. Although Sandilands is likely to win the hitouts, as long as Bailey is competing with his tackling pressure, second and third efforts, we will then gain the upper hand in the midfield.

One thing I don't understand is everyone in the media banging on about Fremantle midfield and how it's better overall then the Hawks. Since when is Fremantle midfield better then ours? What is that based on?

They were banging on about Melbourne before 1988 GF too.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380072439.331728.jpg

Am feeling very nervous about the game. In fact I was feeling more confident about the GF last year.

I think there are 4 vital things that we have to do to win this game.

1. Absorb the pressure. As as been stated by the media this week about 1,000 times is the manic pressure that Fremantle will put on us. We will have to absorb the pressure, and not let them score a quick flurry of goals. We lost the grand final last year because of the 2nd quarter. We let Sydney get a run of goals, that put us on the back foot. We stop that run, we win the game. Simple.

2. Nullify Sandilands - This will be the most important game and match up of Max Bailey's life. He has got the size to at least nullify Sandilands. He can't let Sandilands spoon feed the ball to the Fremantle midfielders. If Bailey can at least stop Sandilands from providing hit-outs to advantage, this will go a long way our midfield winning the battle. I think our midfield group is better then Fremantles, but as soon as you include the ruck man its a lot more even, with even it possibly being in Fremantles favour.

3. Protect Mitchell - The rest of the midfield group has to everything in their power to protect Sam Mitchell, at the stoppages. That means blocking for him and cutting off Crowley. Also getting in Crowelys face, and at every opportunity and hitting him hard when he has the ball.

4. Make the most of our opportunities - Simple we kick straight, we will win. With our scoring power, you would expect us to have more scoring shots then Fremantle. However if the teams starts getting the yips again, like last year and last week. We could be in trouble.

Another point that I will raise. I think it will be very hard for Fremantle to play the game entirely on their terms. I think that there is a good chance that 80% of the game will be played on their terms with manic pressure. But all we need is a good 5-10 minute burst of goals that could win us the game. As per the first point, if we don't let them have a run of goals at any stage, I can't see how they will stop us for the full 120 minutes. However, we often do let teams get on runs.

Anyway GO HAWKS!

Just watching OTC now...why are we bothering to turn up? Nobody is talking from our point of view...its all about beating us.

**** em

I'm watching it now. Just wondering how come when it says Gerard Healey it says 88 Brownlow?? Shouldn't it have all the years he won a premiership?

Oi oi!

Just wanted to pop in and note that the one sided media attention is unbelievable. No idea why it's so uneven but I guess the media loves an underdog story. There is an article on Foxsports today titled "What If's". It goes over all the negatives if Hawks don’t win and one or two for Freo. It reeks of anti-Hawk BS. When you add in the tipping and Sheehan's Clarko coaching WCE call, it's been a pretty lame build up.
While it's nice for us long suffering Freo fans it's not fair for you guys who have every right to enjoy a few feel good stories about your club considering the year they've had. TBH I can only see this all being a plus for your boys.

On a side note Ross and the troops are only doing heaps of press over there as the media has turned into an absolute circus.

Anyway, after all is said and done, Saturday arvo we can all go nuts and watch our boys go to the death against each other. There is no doubt in my mind that whoever wins this year will be extremely deserving of the premiership. Good luck guys!

J

Cheers mate, appreciated. It has to be said that no one begrudges Freo in all this. It has been a long journey for your mob and you should be lapping it up.

Looking forward to a great game. Enjoy the rest of the week.

Got this from another thread:rolleyes:

Luke McPharlin was being intervied today on radio FM 96.1 in WA at approx 7.10 am .

Luke was asked by a reporter re Grand Final game on Saturday and he said they were supremely confident re winning and that when he was pressed further he stated that they will/ hope have the game stitched up by half time .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont know if anyone has said this before,but with all the negative crap from the media
would it be good after our last training,buddy confronts the media and says he signing a new deal to stay at hawthorn.
How much would this lift the boys

Luke McPharlin was being intervied today on radio FM 96.1 in WA at approx 7.10 am .

Luke was asked by a reporter re Grand Final game on Saturday and he said they were supremely confident re winning and that when he was pressed further he stated that they will/ hope have the game stitched up by half time .
They certainly burst out of the blocks against Sydney......and yes the game may be over by half time.....then you can go and have a shower and a good cry Luke.

McPharlin Curse, lock it in

Good god it just doesn't stop anywhere, everywhere you look all you see if reasons why all Hawthorn's advantages don't matter and why everything will advantage Fremantle.

The Fremantle rucks will dominate ours
The Dockers midfield is too deep and too strong
Crowley will beat Mitchell
De Boer will beat Birchall
Mzungu will beat Smith
McPharlin will beat Roughead
Dawson will beat Hale
Johnson will beat Buddy
They don't have a matchup for Gunston but that doesn't matter
Pavlich will kick a bag
All Hawthorn's key position players will be rendered useless by the rain
Rioli & Breust are deemed not to exist but Ballantyne and Walters are the avatars of the MCG
Hawthorn's MCG record doesn't matter nor does their success this year
Hawthorn's loss to Fremantle in the finals last year does matter
Fremantle having sore players doesn't matter
Fremantle's press will make it impossible for our backline to get the ball out

The worst thing is I like Fremantle and as devastating as it would be to lose another GF I'd still have nothing but respect for the team.

But this media coverage is just insane, it would have to be the most one sided coverage of a 50/50 GF, or any GF, ever.

Well thats just confirmed it for me. I would suggest that we just forfeit, no point showing up if its going to be over at half time. Does that mean I get half of the value of my ticket back??

I mean with Crowley their match winner and McPharlin confident that it will be over at half time, well we are in a world of hurt. Or to save us from humiliation, how about the 2 clubs come up with a gentlemens agreement and just hand the premiership to Freo now.

Oh and Ross Lyon is a far superior coach than Clarkson. I mean he has taken over 2 sides, StK who were a side on the up and made PF the year before and Freo who were on the up and stole the side that Harvey built.

F..k me all this bs talk of Freo is sickening. Ross Lyon is a sh.t coach. Build a team from scratch as Clarko did, you ass clown and pull the bloody pole that is stuck up your ass out!!

I have said it a couple times now. BRING THIS SH.T ON FREO.

Seems the mind games could be working - let's hope it's not having the same impact on the hawks
In fact I wouldn't mind Clarko and the boys refusing interviews and telling them to ask Lyon and his boys for their opinions

Seems the mind games could be working - let's hope it's not having the same impact on the hawks
In fact I wouldn't mind Clarko and the boys refusing interviews and telling them to ask Lyon and his boys for their opinions

If the players get caught up with the mindless journalism or Big Footy talk, then they shouldn't be AFL players. I'm supremely confident that Clarko and the boys themselves will be solely focused on doing everything possible to win this Saturday - anything else will be unthinkable for the playing group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back