Preview Grand Final Mighty Hawks vs Fremantle - 28 September 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just visited the AFL site for the stats for last weeks game. Been hearing about the pressure applied by freo this week and how it has never been seen before so I had a look. Now I could be wrong but I am taking the 1%'ers listed there as pressure acts and also looking at tackles.

Now with the BS that has been going on I will list the numbers without putting the teams with them and lets who can guess correctly.

1%ers

Tackles

Combined

Well said.

Would be great if this attitude was the general theme for the build up. Two great teams, one with an incredible defense, the other with incredible attack both with everything to play for.

It is funny though that if we were receiving all the praise we'd probably be screaming at the media to look at Fremantle's awesomeness :D

Again re-quoted for the truth that it is . . .

Yo peeps,

Just thought I'd pop in to get your thoughts on what might be in store on Saturday. Surprised that so many of you are so concerned about the media and bigfooty jumping on Freo's bandwagon. For one thing, this helps, not hinders, your lads. But more importantly, the only good opinion is one backed by cash, and the bookies still have you guys as favourites, so what are you worried about?

I for one like Freo's chances and would love to see them get up but - as I said in the OP of the strategies thread on the MB - I would also love to see your boys triumph.

I'm in the very enviable position of liking both clubs, both coaches, and players from either side. Yes I have some good coin on the Dockers but my feelings of frustration at losing money should your boys win will disappear as soon as I see Clarkson and Mitchell on the podium. Legends of the game imo.

Good luck and stop worrying about outsiders. This is your week, focus on your boys.

Peace out.

1%ers

34 SYDNEY
40 FREMANTLE
47 HAWTHORN
49 GEELONG

Tackles

55 GEELONG
62 HAWTHORN
71 SYDNEY
76 FREMANTLE

Combined

104 GEELONG
109 HAWTHORN
110 SYDNEY
111 FREMANTLE

So as we can see the Hawthorn pressure is something not to be sneezed at. Taking this into account the Dockers only had 36 more disposals than Sydney whereas we had 91 more than Geelong. IMO our pressure is better. The fact we had so much more of the ball and had more tackles and pressure acts combined than Geelong makes me feel even more confident.

Changes since the last time the two teams met in Round 4 -- to what the teams fielded last weekend.

Fremantle
In: A.Sandilands, L.McPharlin, Z.Clarke, M.Pavlich
Out: C.Pearce, K.Bradley, T.Smith, J.Griffin

Hawthorn
In: B.Lake, B.Guerra, B.Sewell, B.Whitecross*
Out: R.Schoenmakers, M.Osborne, S.Savage, T.Duryea

So both teams are stronger , Freo probably more so than Hawthorn , but Sewell - Lake - Guerra are good inclusions

Posted this on the Main Board

Maybe...

The key to that performance was the fact that we still generated 28 shots on goal...

I've gone to the liberty of looking at our inside 50 count and clearances across each round this season...

Round (Inside 50) (Clearances)
Rd 1: 66-57, 37-24
Rd 2: 62-37, 31-41
Rd 3: 59-51, 50-43
Rd 4: 50-45, 36-42
Rd 5: 47-63, 27-45
Rd 6: 52-50, 36-30
Rd 7: 53-51, 41-44
Rd 8: 60-34, 46-38
Rd 9: 70-42, 47-34
Rd 10: 64-40, 43-37
Rd 11:
Rd 12: 53-50, 30-51
Rd 13: 49-57, 43-57
Rd 14: 56-56, 37-44
Rd 15: 59-50, 36-36
Rd 16: 56-46, 43-31
Rd 17: 49-39, 38-33
Rd 18: 66-40, 41-35
Rd 19: 48-46, 54-36
Rd 20: 57-47, 36-27
Rd 21: 52-44, 35-41
Rd 22: 50-52, 33-32
Rd 23: 51-57, 44-41
QF: 54-38, 31-45
PF: 64-42, 36-32

A couple of things from this observation. My original statement that we NEVER go below 50 Inside 50's was lazy and wrong. We've actually fallen below 50 Inside 50's 4 times for the season with the last being in round 19. Evidently North should have beaten us in the two games we played them this year, they've got the attributes to defeat us. SPEED on the outside.

What I think this accentuates is the fact that Hawthorn often lose clearances (we're 15-9 for the season) but often still wins the Inside 50 count (we're 5-3-1 for Inside 50's where we have lost the clearances)

I think more than anything else it really highlights just how irrelevant round 4 actually is. If you look at the stats above, Hawthorn (like Fremantle) were far from their best (in rounds 4, 5, 6 and 7 out output was well below) but like Fremantle Hawthorn is peaking exactly at the right time of year.

You could make an argument that the Sydney and Geelong finals were our two best performances of the year

Its retrospective but we went through something of a rut through rounds 4-7. For all the talk of the purple flogs our form line has continued to improve as the finals series has gone on. On stats alone we've had a far more convincing finals series than Fremantle...

Posted this on the Main Board

Its retrospective but we went through something of a rut through rounds 4-7. For all the talk of the purple flogs our form line has continued to improve as the finals series has gone on. On stats alone we've had a far more convincing finals series than Fremantle...

I thought the match against Sydney we were absolutely brilliant - we kept everything tight for the first half then Sydney couldn't contain our goal scoring ability. The Geelong match was always going to be a tight and close affair - there are just some opponents that always match up well and I (and I reckon the boys would have been too) was relieved that we got over the hoodoo.

If we rack up the stats that we did in the Geelong match v Freo this week, we could very well blow this match away by the third quarter. I think it will be very hard for Fremantle to hold back the plethora of scoring options we have, especially if we get the run of Birchill and Smith going early in the match. I'm confident our professionalism, the pain from last season, and that Hawthorn Tradition will get our club over the line.

I just wish Saturday would get here quicker!!

Yo peeps,

Just thought I'd pop in to get your thoughts on what might be in store on Saturday. Surprised that so many of you are so concerned about the media and bigfooty jumping on Freo's bandwagon. For one thing, this helps, not hinders, your lads. But more importantly, the only good opinion is one backed by cash, and the bookies still have you guys as favourites, so what are you worried about?

I for one like Freo's chances and would love to see them get up but - as I said in the OP of the strategies thread on the MB - I would also love to see your boys triumph.

I'm in the very enviable position of liking both clubs, both coaches, and players from either side. Yes I have some good coin on the Dockers but my feelings of frustration at losing money should your boys win will disappear as soon as I see Clarkson and Mitchell on the podium. Legends of the game imo.

Good luck and stop worrying about outsiders. This is your week, focus on your boys.

Peace out.

I think it is a culmination of the way the whole year has panned out. The hawks have been on top of the ladder all year and have taken on all comers except Geelong (until last week :D) and Richmond and all we have heard all year from the media (on the couch and 360 the worst, everyone else pretty much the same) is how the Swans pressure is the best in the AFL and the Cats are the best in the AFL and it is amazing that they are still so good. Well they are both gone now, and what do we have to put up with, the Fremantle pressure is something we have not seen before and the usual mantra that all the Hawks do is play pretty chip chip football.

They can all go and get fornicated!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the match against Sydney we were absolutely brilliant - we kept everything tight for the first half then Sydney couldn't contain our goal scoring ability. The Geelong match was always going to be a tight and close affair - there are just some opponents that always match up well and I (and I reckon the boys would have been too) was relieved that we got over the hoodoo.

If we rack up the stats that we did in the Geelong match v Freo this week, we could very well blow this match away by the third quarter. I think it will be very hard for Fremantle to hold back the plethora of scoring options we have, especially if we get the run of Birchill and Smith going early in the match. I'm confident our professionalism, the pain from last season, and that Hawthorn Tradition will get our club over the line.

I just wish Saturday would get here quicker!!

I thought so to until I looked at our Inside 50 and Clearance Count.

Put early score board pressure on Freo and we should be fine. We MUST take our chances this week. Basic stuff.

Great post! You've nailed it!! This is what I said last week - and it very nearly cost us, when we kicked poorly.

I'd re-emphasise that this is again the most important aspect for us as a team on Saturday. We will win our shots on goal, like we always do.. but we absolutely must make the most of our chances that present, especially early.
Do this. We Win. Comfortably!

im beginning to genuinely worry about the actual intellect of the people we have to listen to in the media ... the way they get sucked in by week to week happenings instead of actually a more balanced view is astonishing.

Oh well, i dont really care whos favorites, maybe it helps us a bit, but it sure is amazing the viewpoints around Freo based on 2 games of footy basically - both of which were against sides we ALSO beat, the biggest against a side that was so cooked they dont realise how good Sydney made them look

Doesnt matter ... we are primed

Despite that they have a 'better coach' than us
Despite that they play a 'better brand' of footy than us
Despite that their side is 'suited to finals'
Despite that they have the 'best defense in the game'
Despite that their 'ruckmen will towell us up'
Despite that they have the 'biggest and best centre square mids in the game'
Despite that they have easily 'the best tagger in the game'
Despite that our forwardline's kicking is a 'real worry'
And despite every pundit giving their opinion and their dog is tipping Fremantle but yet they still have the audacity to say 'despite Hawthorn being heavy favourites'

I'm confident. Real confident. Time to have some fun and enter supreme **** you mode. Being meek and considered is OK, if you're a hedge-your-bets kinda guy, but I'd rather have some fun and go into this thinking about what a ****ing good team we've got and all the ways we're gonna' drive these sorry, cocky Fremantle bastards into the ground!

Logic and level-headedness has checked out for the next few days, GO HAWKS

I was at the '91 GF (my first). I was only 14 but I remember all the talk was that WCE was going to belt us. We're too old, too slow, etc... Well, we know what happened that day. I watched "The Final Story: 1991 Grand Final" today - it has given me even more confidence for this weekends granny. GO HAWKS!

Lol guy at gym 30 mins ago

A -'Freo will definitely win'
B - 'Yeah everyone's saying that and I love it'

A - 'Nah but they will. They got no outstanding players.. They're such a team'
(Didnt say anything about pav, Fyfe, sandi)
B - 'yeah I've heard the champion team vs team of champions all before'

A - 'yeah but they got such a hunger for the ball. Hawthorn just play when they want to'
B - 'keep thinking that but we lost last year buddy I think we got a bit of hunger too. And if hawthorn just play when they want to I think they're gonna wanna play this weekend'

/end convo

Seriously wtf :confused:

The gym owner then proceeded to ask me what I was doing on the weekend and when I told him he said 'freo will win. They will want the game to grow in Perth and won't want those people going home disappointed'... For a Romanian I was shocked he had such an astute understanding of the AFL!

do you guys think we will take out some of there players? Nothing premeditated but honestly if someone like Birchall or Guerra has a chance to lay a shirt front on a bloke like ballantyne or the serial actor Walters, then why not..
Would love to see some big hits in the GF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back