Harvey cracks the sads over Warnock

Remove this Banner Ad

CC: Hey Rob, why don't we catch up for a coffee this week?
RW: Sorry Chris, but I'm heading back to Perth tomorrow. Maybe next time?
CC: Well, how about at the office then? I'm working tomorrow, so I'll be in.
RW: OK, sounds good. Your shout, though.

Ambush.

Not saying that's what happened, but can you be sure it didn't happen that way?

Hey if that's the way that it happened then you can say whatever you want, but from all reports he was invited to come "have a look around the club" and he accepted the invitation.

I'm sure he is well aware of the links between himself and melbourne and that him visiting them would play some part in melbourne trying to convince him to join the club next year.

Below. According to you Harvey did the wrong thing when infact he said bugger all.

Warnock probably expected a 2 on 1 meeting with Bailey, Connolly and himself. What would you call it when you go to a meeting expecting there to be 2 other people and there's close to a dozen?

Saying that he launched a broadside was wrong, i'm sure that he was just responding to a question he was asked in an interview.

But I wouldn't call it an ambush. You might say it was a bit of overkill, but that's the way they decided to go about it. Just because it was a little bit different to what Warnock might have being expecting does not make it an ambush

Hey if that's the way that it happened then you can say whatever you want, but from all reports he was invited to come "have a look around the club" and he accepted the invitation.

I'm sure he is well aware of the links between himself and melbourne and that him visiting them would play some part in melbourne trying to convince him to join the club next year.

As has been said though, it sounds like he was expecting an informal meeting with Connolly and possibly Bailey. Why not tell him the truth of what was planned? Reeks of desperation to me.

Saying that he launched a broadside was wrong, i'm sure that he was just responding to a question he was asked in an interview.

But I wouldn't call it an ambush. You might say it was a bit of overkill, but that's the way they decided to go about it. Just because it was a little bit different to what Warnock might have being expecting does not make it an ambush

How do you know Warnock didn't feel as though he had been ambushed? I think the word used to describe his reaction to being confronted by the presentation was 'stunned'. Now, you may like to read that as your presentation being 'stunning' in a good way, but the way it was worded made it sound like he was shocked by it.

Either way, it's put him in a difficult position with his current club. Whether he wants to leave or not is neither here nor there, but not many people would feel uncomfortable in that situation and it's your club that has made it that way.

Ambush was probably slightly over the top, but your coach thinks that Phil Jackson still coaches the Chicago Bulls.

As has been said though, it sounds like he was expecting an informal meeting with Connolly and possibly Bailey. Why not tell him the truth of what was planned? Reeks of desperation to me.
How do you know that CC didn't mention the players were coming?

Didn't they say on FC last night that they asked RW to come along to have a look around the club and meet some of the younger blokes? He was only suprised when he saw how professional they were, dressed in suits etc. Apparently he was very impressed too, so hey, it worked.

I'll enjoy seeing him in a Melbourne jumper next year;)

This site is Big Footy isn't it?

It is, but if someone wants to start a thread criticising my football club for no reason (when there are plenty of valid reasons to criticise the Fremantle Football Club) then I'm going to take umbrage with that.

Childish threads like this one belong in Bay 13.

Am I to assume that you know EXACTLY the circumstances? Were you there? My guess is that Mark Harvey knows a more accurate account of what happened than RandB does. Unless you're CC?
I (like you) do not know the exact circumstances and whether the term "ambush" is justified - that is actually part of my point. However IMO nothing that has come out so far could be used to justify Harvey's use of the term "ambush". I concur with the OP that it is a very strong term to use given the circumstances and as I said before when you make statements like that the onus is on you to back them up - not the other way around.

With regards to guessing you were guessing as to how the meeting was initiated and now you are Guessing about what harvey does or doesn't know. I don't play guessing games. As M4C said, if anything comes out in the future to support Harvey's comments then fair enough but unless that happens then he is indeed cracking the sads.

Ambush was probably slightly over the top, but your coach thinks that Phil Jackson still coaches the Chicago Bulls.

That's my point, ambush was over the top and therefore a stupid thing to say.

If Warnock has told Harvey that he was "ambushed" or even "shocked" by the number of people at the presentation, then Harvey should have kept that private conversation to himself, not relayed it through the media.

But methinks that talking to other clubs is not exactly the first thing young Robbie would want to bring up with when talking to his current coach

How do you know Warnock didn't feel as though he had been ambushed? I think the word used to describe his reaction to being confronted by the presentation was 'stunned'.
Mate, there is no point getting into word games. Personally I think "overwhelmed" may have been a good way to describe how Warnock felt but the fact is that Harvey used the term "ambush".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is, but if someone wants to start a thread criticising my football club for no reason (when there are plenty of valid reasons to criticise the Fremantle Football Club) then I'm going to take umbrage with that.

Childish threads like this one belong in Bay 13.

I have no issue with you defending your club, i'd do the same, in fact i was doing the same when i started the thread. Harvey said we ambushed Warnock and i took issue with it.

I think that an opposition coach making what i believe to be inaccurate and disparaging comments about my football club is more then enough reason to criticize that coach, so i did.

Posted by - ranb - I concur with the OP that it is a very strong term to use given the circumstances and as I said before when you make statements like that the onus is on you to back them up - not the other way around.

If Harvey has an opinion about a certain situation he has no need or requirement to back that opinion up with facts to feed stupid beliefs like the above.
Do you even know what `ambush` means?

If Warnock has told Harvey that he was "ambushed" or even "shocked" by the number of people at the presentation, then Harvey should have kept that private conversation to himself, not relayed it through the media.

But methinks that talking to other clubs is not exactly the first thing young Robbie would want to bring up with when talking to his current coach

I don`t blame MFC for trying to poach a young player with potential, they need all they can get, but Harvey didn`t reveal a private conversation with Warnock...he gave an honest opinion.

I`m sure he held himself back from mentioning how low an act it was from Warnock to put himself in that position. I mean, if he`s going back to Vic surely there are better options:thumbsu:

I mean, if he`s going back to Vic surely there are better options:thumbsu:
Doubt it.

I think he will fit in nicely with this under 22 group. What do you have, like 5 players under 22 on your hole list?

Frawley (19) Martin (21) Bartram (20)
C Johnson (22) Garland (20) Petterd (20)
Buckley (21) Dunn (21) Morton (18)
Wonnaeamirri (19) Bate (21) Grimes (19)
Sylvia (22) Juice (21) Maric(18)
Meesen (22) Jones (20) McLean (22)

Valenti (21) Bode (20) McNamara (18) Cheney (18)

Add in Robbie Warnock, number 1, 17 and 19 picks and its looking good:thumbsu:

Freo on the other hand:D Who blames him for leaving a sinking ship?

If Harvey has an opinion about a certain situation he has no need or requirement to back that opinion up with facts to feed stupid beliefs like the above. Do you even know what `ambush` means?
Well, that is your opinion and you can do what you want with it. Either way he is looking like a bit of a dummy spitter if he has no grounds so if you are happy with that then cool.

Some Freo posters in this thread however have eluded that there is some truth to what he said and that was the context that I said you can't ride that wave without some sort of proof.

Personally I don't care too much about what comes out of Harvey's word hole (he talks like a kid) but if people want to argue that what he said is justified (given what we currently know) then they also are as foolish as Harvey.

Youth doesn`t prove anything.

Potential is a great word isn`t it...doesn`t mean that those players will amount to anything.
I think pretty much all of those players listed have shown enough to prove they will be good players in the future. (Besides Bode and Meesen and also Grimes, Cheney, Mcnamara who are yet to play)

Youth doesn`t prove anything.

Potential is a great word isn`t it...doesn`t mean that those players will amount to anything.

This coming from people who watched Clive Waterhouse getting picked at #1.

Well, that is your opinion and you can do what you want with it. Either way he is looking like a bit of a dummy spitter if he has no grounds so if you are happy with that then cool.

Some Freo posters in this thread however have eluded that there is some truth to what he said and that was the context that I said you can't ride that wave without some sort of proof.

Personally I don't care too much about what comes out of Harvey's word hole (he talks like a kid) but if people want to argue that what he said is justified (given what we currently know) then they also are as foolish as Harvey.

Dummy spit? Is that what you think that was?

It was a calm measured response to a question he was asked without any malice at all.

Listen up...He doesn`t need proof to have an opinion.

If you don`t care what he says then stop throwing a tantrum and drink a glass of warm milk and ask your Mum for a hug:)

if you guys aren't trading picks, what about a player? anyone out of contract that we may target? i know that our recruiting staff rate petterd highly, how has he been going?

Some nice well rounded, well thought out comments from Bailey in an Article from MFC.com

http://melbournefc.com.au/tabid/7415/Default.aspx?newsid=65835

Long way to go on Warnock deal: Bailey

MELBOURNE coach Dean Bailey says there is still a lot of water to go under the bridge before the club can lure Fremantle ruckman Robbie Warnock to the Demons.

Bailey, speaking at the Junction Oval on Tuesday, told of the meeting the club had with Warnock last week, as it attempts to land him in the red and blue at season's end.

"[Football operations general manager] Chris [Connolly] is on the record and I'm on the record that we had a chat with Rob. We just put forward our case and [said:] 'if you're thinking of leaving, hopefully you'll consider us', so that was about it really," Bailey said.

"Robbie's on the radar for a lot of clubs. I'm sure that there are a lot of interested parties."

Asked if the presence of Warnock's older brother Matthew at Melbourne would be a key factor in luring the 206cm ruckman to the Demons, Bailey said: "It might help a little bit.

"But Robbie's got to make a decision to where his future lies, so I'm sure there will be lots of options for him."
"Our vision for Robbie is that at the moment, he's the number two ruckman at Fremantle and there is an opportunity for him to come and play ruck for not only us, but all of the other clubs that are speaking to him.

"We've had a chat and now the ball's in his court – whatever decision he makes."

Bailey said he didn't feel uncomfortable talking to an opposition player during the season.

"No, Robbie's had a shoulder reconstruction, so he's not playing," he said

Also say that no decision has been made on White or Yze yet. Why aren't we hearing Holland's name in this discussion or is that foregone?

Remove this Banner Ad

Harvey cracks the sads over Warnock

Remove this Banner Ad

Back