Harvey cracks the sads over Warnock

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a dirty little tactic I thought, but good on us, about time we stopped being nice to everyone.

Over you come Robbie.

Anyone seen Team America?

I'd rather be a dick than a pussy or arseh*le.

Who cares, a couple of years ago Clarkson and Thompson were seen as failures.

So your swipe at Bailey is now irrelevent?

FFS guys this is a storm in a teacup.

If I was in Harvey's shoes I'd be pretty pissed as well, but in reality we're doing nothing wrong. Ethically yes it is probably wrong but we're not breaking any laws.

Posters from both teams here need to lie down and chill for a bit. Freo fans, we haven't actually done anything wrong. My own comrades, there is no need to attack Harvey when he just made an off the cuff remark. It's not like he came out on his own accord and constantly attacked us.

Wouldnt you get cut at Warnock not the MFC? Its not as if we twisted his arm? Warnocks the cheating wife not the dees ahah.

I won't be angry with Warnock if he decides to go home, and I certainly don't have an issue with the Demons meeting with him since it appears to be within the rules. Thr Melbourne Footy Club should do whatever it can to improve its list.

Where this thread has stemmed from is a few Melbourne supporters bizzarely taking umbrage with a comment Mark Harvey made yesterday.

Oh and all you shockers on this board arguing. P&$^ Off!

:D
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha, that's comedy gold!!

If I was in Harvey's shoes I'd be pretty pissed as well, but in reality we're doing nothing wrong. Ethically yes it is probably wrong but we're not breaking any laws.

Posters from both teams here need to lie down and chill for a bit. Freo fans, we haven't actually done anything wrong. My own comrades, there is no need to attack Harvey when he just made an off the cuff remark. It's not like he came out on his own accord and constantly attacked us.

Woo Hoo!! Finally, some sense.

It won't come down to a bidding war at all, the player has to agree to be traded so if he says he wants to come to Melbourne we can just offer a 4th round pick and say take it or leave it. If you leave it we'll take him in the PSD.

Warnock was surprised but very impressed with Melbourne and the presentation.

It won't come down to a bidding war at all, the player has to agree to be traded so if he says he wants to come to Melbourne we can just offer a 4th round pick and say take it or leave it. If you leave it we'll take him in the PSD.

Warnock was surprised but very impressed with Melbourne and the presentation.

Yep, if Warnock only wants to play for Melbourne the only thing Richmond's interest will achieve is an increase in the $$$$$ you have to pay him. The more clubs that throw their hat in the ring the better it is for Robbie Warnock. You could end up paying him close to $1.2M over three years.

If some of you are not interested in talking about the topic, you'll get booted out of here (mainly in reference to a few deleted posts).

This is not bay 13.

Fact of the matter is that football clubs nowadays are being run like businesses. I know Barassi has stated that they should never be regarded as businesses, but they are being treated as such - it's indicative of the times and indeed the way football is going. In the business world this happens all the time and if Harvey can't handle such professionalism then he needs to wake up and move with the times.

In a way I guess Melbourne saw this as an opportunity to trial such an approach with an eye to the future, perhaps there were some faults with their presentation to Judd. Fair to say they may have gone over the top with regard to a player of Warnock's ability but I'd prefer they try it out now and fail than try it out with a huge potential signing and really stuff it up.

Couple of reports from media outlets that Mark Harvey isn't happy that we've been chatting to Robbie Warnock when he was in Melbourne.

2 almost identical articles on both HS & Age sites http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24206288-19742,00.html

Harvey should take up stand-up, god knows he couldn't be any worse at that then coaching.

The supposed ambush, how dumb does Harvey think Warnock is? Connolly invited him down to the club, not around to his house for dinner or out for a coffee in Chapel St, but down to his place of employment which is in direct competition to Warnock's own employer.

Warnock accepting the invitation is him basically agreeing to us showing him what we've got. Maybe the PowerPoint presso & suited up players was a little overboard or more then he expected, but he wasn't just visiting his brother or old coach, i'm not even aware of his brother being involved in the presentation.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't be annoyed with Melbourne, i wouldn't be happy if other clubs were talking to players we wanted to keep mid-season, but you have to accept that it happens. I'd be more annoyed if Bailey came out and made stupid statements following the media getting wind of a meeting.

Just another show of ineptitude from Harvey. I was relieved that Connolly got given the arse mid-year and Harvey wasn't in the running to coach melbourne.

guys, seriously its not rugby. Your lucky the AFL has not decided to do anything about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My God it is going to be a long off season ....we are already debating dictionary definitions of terms and it is not even round 22.

Allow me to summarise

- Was it illegal .....no
- Was it cheeky ...yes
- Would I complain if Freo did it .....no but I would understand some minor crappiness from the other club

Signed sealed and a dee. You can have Jamar.

We will send Robbie to Essendon and on trade Laycock to you - Watt do we get? I don't know rich 1, sorry I mean Pick 1 .....everyones a winner ...rucks all around and we will take that pick I am sure you don't need

Take your pick of White or Yze. All Australians for an unproven kid. Bargain! :)

Send us Marcus Camby Hammy and it is a deal.

As a general rule I like Dees fans (7th Hamster aside)....lets just keep it on good terms.

I'm sure Warnock would see his career progressing as a number #1 ruckman as opposed to Sandilands understudy. We lost Jolly this way. That comment about unproven potential which im not bothered to go back and quote may explain your terrible recruiting of has been's.

Harvey does not interview well at all, for this reason it doesn't matter what he says. Hope he makes more sense to his players.

Harvey was asked a question, he responded to it. He didn't come out in the media crying about it.

Mark Harvey has a bit of history about this type of situation.

He went crying to the media when Port expressed some interest in Josh Carr.

Harvey isnt winning many fans by whinging, he already isnt that well liked - and will be under pressure in the next yr to keep his job..

I actually liked Freo when Chris Con was there, but he more than had his chance, I wonder if Freo regret appointing Harvey though, the blokes a tool..

That too is irrelevant. The fact is no supporters want to see their players leave to another club and no club would want to see their players "approached" as you put it. The point of this thread is that this sort of thing is not only legal but happens with all clubs and Harvey needs to grow up a bit. It's all very fine when your club gets players from other clubs but when it comes your turn to possibly lose a player you're doing the violin thing over it. My question to you is do you honestly think Fremantle have never approached a player before who was coming out of contract?

Im sure if jace bode, issac weetra, john messen.........come to think of it about half the playing list talked to other clubs and leave, i and many others wouldnt (any excuse to use it) "give a rats toss bag".

The fact remains is melbourne arent doing anything outside the rules. Warnock isnt unhappy at freo but wants to return home, Melbourne need a ruckman, we have his brother on the list, if he wants to return home and come to our club you will take what your given as we have the first pick in the pre-season draft.:p:D:p

So heres the deal you will take: 1)Jeff White - cause its just what u need another person over the hill. 2)Pick 85 in the national draft. 3) Issac Weetra - he can replace farmers out put from this year for you next year for less cash!!!

Either that or we take him for free in the psd. Your choice.

Mark Harvey, thank *** we didnt appoint that nimrod.
His press conferences when asked the hard questions, lmao. Gets that glazed over look on his face, you can see the mind ticking over trying to come up with something, anything!!! Cant think of anything so just makes up things and starts to mumble about anything be it about the subject or not.
Reminds me of zoolander when matilda asks derek "in some aboriginal tribes they believe when you get your photo taken it takes away a piece of you soul how do feel about that getting your photo taken the all time?" and he replies "well id like to answer your question with a question of my own, how many abadiginals do you see modelling??"

Surely you can see the irony of a Melbourne supporter being critical of Harvey's win/loss percentage?
Who was directly critical of Harvey's win/loss percentage? I was critical of him as a coach, but I was refering to the fact that of the 4 new coaches he was expected to do the best & is currently sitting 3rd of those 4 and that its widely believed that of those 4 coaches he is doing the poorest job in his first year.

guys, seriously its not rugby. Your lucky the AFL has not decided to do anything about it.
Wrong. AFLPA said it was perfectly fine, so the AFL had zero they could do about it.

Meeting players in season is fair game and not against AFL rules, the Players' Association has confirmed.

I don't think Harvey's stance here is too ridiculous, but he does have a history for stupidity in the media so anything he says is jumped on now. Really, all the man wants is to retain one of his brightest prospects, and he has every right to comment on a topic that is relevant to his club. I think we forget that coaches are people too, they aren't just some figurehead told what to say at all times. They are allowed to have opinions on certain issues, and his is a pretty valid one. When you stop and think about it, his reaction was a very natural one.

Who was directly critical of Harvey's win/loss percentage? I was critical of him as a coach, but I was refering to the fact that of the 4 new coaches he was expected to do the best & is currently sitting 3rd of those 4 and that its widely believed that of those 4 coaches he is doing the poorest job in his first year.

Wrong. AFLPA said it was perfectly fine, so the AFL had zero they could do about it.

Not sure its quite as widely believed as you make out.

He lost his 2 best midfielders for the whole season (Hasleby and Headland). The development in the kids has been exceptional. Its quite a credit to him that despite retirements and injuries we have been competitive for the majority of the year.

The development in the young players was always missing under Connolly. We get young guys in, but they'd never come on. Some would go backwards. Harvey has got all the young kids moving in the right direction and playing with confidence.

Some of the midtier players who were always very average have started to step up in the absence of the senior guys.

Retirements of Bell, M.Carr, H.Black, McManus and no Hasleby or Headland for the whole year has taken its toll on a young midfield.

I think despite the win/loss ratio he's done a great job. Can't wait to see what he can do with a whole list to choose from next year.

Well put mate:thumbsu:

Harvey said nothing that was out of line.

I don`t have a problem with Melbournes approach, if they get him, good luck to them, and we`ll get nothing in return...sh*t happens!

Well put mate:thumbsu:

Harvey said nothing that was out of line.

I don`t have a problem with Melbournes approach, if they get him, good luck to them, and we`ll get nothing in return...sh*t happens!

For some reason, I don't think Fremantle will have the same attitude towards the Warnock situation. They won't just lie down and say shit happens, nor should they. They have a club and a business to run, and letting go of their assets for nothing is hardly the scenario they desire. They will do all in their power to broker a deal with any number of clubs, but it does come down to Warnock in the end, and hopefully that is where Melbourne will have the advantage.

Not sure its quite as widely believed as you make out.

He lost his 2 best midfielders for the whole season (Hasleby and Headland). The development in the kids has been exceptional. Its quite a credit to him that despite retirements and injuries we have been competitive for the majority of the year.

Try this thread, excluding Freo posters almost everyone puts Harvey last.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=474564&highlight=first+year+coaches

And if you don't want just BF opinions, Mike Sheahan wrote the following on the weekend.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24186659-19742,00.html

In the paper they put school like grades next to the coaches, Ratten & Knights got B+, Bailey C and Harvey D or D+, clearly last.

Oh no, you lost a couple of players. That excuse isn't really going to cut it when Essendon has the worst injury list in the league and melbourne's is worse then Freo, by round 10 we'd lost the 2 guys who've lead our goal kicking since 2001, we also lost our best defender and our best midfielder. So injuries are no excuse

So i'd say it's pretty widely believed that Harvey is the worst performed first year coach

For some reason, I don't think Fremantle will have the same attitude towards the Warnock situation. They won't just lie down and say shit happens, nor should they. They have a club and a business to run, and letting go of their assets for nothing is hardly the scenario they desire. They will do all in their power to broker a deal with any number of clubs, but it does come down to Warnock in the end, and hopefully that is where Melbourne will have the advantage.

Of course no-one at the club or the supporters want to lose him but IF he wants to go to Melb via the PSD then that`s up to him...and we can`t do anything about it really.

Of course it would be preferable if he stays or chooses to go to another club that aren`t on the bottom of the ladder

Remove this Banner Ad

Harvey cracks the sads over Warnock

Remove this Banner Ad

Back