Analysis Hawks 2022 Hypothetical trades (read the pinned post)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, the "No Kane Cornes" Rule is back

Last edited by a moderator:
As if adding a AA calibre wingman is not going to improve us with the way we play footy.
These acquisitions don't happen in a vacuum either, Amon with additional midfield development from others we've already got will be interesting to watch.

As if adding a AA calibre wingman is not going to improve us with the way we play footy.

He will surely be a great addition and offer us four years of classy football. He helps us in the short to medium term.

But I'm talking long-term premiership contention. By the time Amon is 32 and likely on his way out all of our young core of - Ward, MacDonald, DGB, Day, Newcombe, Finn, Moore, Lewis, Blanck, Morris, Butler, CJ, Ramsden, Reeves, etc will all be entering their primes or in their primes.

As I said, Henry, Flanders and Bruhn are in that same age group.

Dumb comparison.

Howe and Phillips were always at risk of being delisted. Anyone who said otherwise hasn’t been paying attention.

As for the Eagles trading out of the top 10, it’s madness.
They’ve just finished bottom 2 and have an aging list.
You might think that a hypothetical thread means you just come up with completely unrealistic trades they make no sense for the clubs involved, but it’s simply impossible to see the Eagles trading out of the top 10 when they’re standing on the edge of the cliff, holding pick 2.
If I were eagles I would be splitting my pick for two first rounders

Sam is a new and untried senior coach. I think players choosing us over Richmond, Geelong and the like is going to be very rare if at all possible. Our only option for now is the draft. We need as many picks as possible.
Will happen eventually but right now those clubs are rightfully more attractive.

Clarko set us back 5+ years with his post 2016 recruiting and list management.

He will surely be a great addition and offer us four years of classy football. He helps us in the short to medium term.
He’s changing our fortunes. It remains to be seen by how much.

I was going to argue with you but it's pretty pointless if you think Sam Mitchell - a man essentially an on field coach during 3 premierships, an assistant coach for another premiership and a star of the competition - is untried.

Every coach is untried initially. This is such a nothing comment.
I'm well aware of his credentials. He was the captain in 2008. He was the designated leader in that premiership. He has four premierships not three.

I'm well aware of his credentials. He was the captain in 2008. He was the designated leader in that premiership. He has four premierships not three.
He wasn't an on field coach in 2008. That is what the reference was about.

He wasn't an on field coach in 2008. That is what the reference was about.
So, as the captain he was not regarded as a leader (that's what an on-field coach is in case you think it's actually like an assistant coach role) but when he wasn't the captain he was a leader. Makes a lot of sense.

I understand what you're trying to say - it's fair to suggest that players would be persuaded by established premiership coaches, compared to someone that's just starting out their coaching careers.

On a side note - Kermit is referring to Mitchell being a coach on the field during the latter part of his career, during our threepeat era, which is why he said three flags.

You’ve had a number of posters ask you and you’ve not even bothered to respond.

If you’re just posting opinions, say so.
This poster will quote only the post they want & that won’t include the posts asking if they know or they’re guessing.

But I’ll have a guess.
They are full of shit

We may do so, but Henry would easily be the best youngster we could get from a Mitchell trade to Collingwood, and I believe he'll be a multiple All-Australian in the future. We would be crazy to pass up Henry if he were offered in exchange for Mitchell.
Sounds like Collingwood would be crazy to offer up a future multiple All-Australian as part of an exchange for Mitchell. Particularly when the kid would be on far less $$$ than the guy they’re looking at bringing in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thought of Geelong getting both Henry and Bruhn, leaving us empty handed, is depressing
Players who grew up in the Geelong / Surf Coast area have a clear tendency to gravitate back. They get great community support, a smaller city lifestyle and are part of a club which makes finals as a matter of course each season.

It’s a growing trend and is difficult to compete with. I agree it’s frustrating but apart from the last bit (regular finals) we can’t offer them the same.

Why do we want Bruhn?

We need inside mids and he is young and in theory would be around when our youth matures and we rise up the ladder.

I wouldnt say we just need him. We need players like him.

If he wants too many years or too much money we look for someone else.

He certainly hasnt set the world on fire but I dont think he was used properly at GWS.

There’s a huge amount to play out over the coming weeks but I’d be happy with if we end up something like:

-Swap Mitchell for Bergman (port) (or use Mitchell pick for bruhn)
-Swap future 3rd for Flanders (probably need to offer more - maybe a pick slide /swap somewhere)
-Draft Phillipou with our first. See what we can get with our 2nd/3rds.

If we have another trade finding a player that would give us a 2nd would be ideal (but no candidates have hit media as all are contracted).if Gunston leaves maybe we get a future 3rd to offset the trade above.

Would give our midfield a boost (albeit some risk in Flanders/Bergman making it). With Amon that’s potentially 4 new faces in the 22 (assuming our first pick plays a bit).

The current landscape of some players wanting out and choosing the Tigers (big club recent success) and rumours of links to the Cats (family and lifestyle) is something outside of the clubs control. What’s in the clubs control is targeting specific players and putting in a lot of time and effort in selling the clubs vision and plans. If they are not willing to jump on board, are not aligned in terms of what they want to get out of their footy careers …….. next! If we become their plan B it’s a bonus I guess but after meeting and talking to prospective players it wouldn’t take long for Mitch or MM to make those observations and judgement calls you would think.

Thing that keeps coming back to me is Mitch saying that we will be aggressive this trade period so looking forward to it.

Algorithmically , Tom Mitchell is worth 893 points, which equates to Pick 21.

Currently, GWS hold that pick. So unless Tom (contracted) and GWS (want him) both agree on such a trade, I reckon Tom will stay a Hawk.

Mate, I know we are die hard Hawks fans and one eyed supporters but Sam has coached one full season. That's what I'm referring to. If you were a player and you were approached by Hardwick, Scott and Mitchell, who do you think will require more consideration? You are talking about two of the best and most successful coaches in the last decade versus a great player who has only started his career.

Regarding Amon, it will help to have some mature players and I'm not saying we can't get free agents but he's going to be 28 next year. That should not be our target age group generally.
But this is not what you said (what I replied to).

Whatever point you were testing to make, you made it by stating that Sam was UNTRIED - which is ridiculous as he's coached all year.

You then tried to bolster your point by saying that Draft is our only option, less than 2x weeks after Amon nominated us & categorically ruling out our ability to trade (which can't occur for about a month anyway).

Whatever defeatist position you were taking, you were making sh1t up to support it. That's what I was responding to.

It might pay for some of the gloomers to revisit who was being lumped in with Collingwood for most of the year as bringing an “an exciting brand of football to the competition” before injuries struck.

These statements of how we’ve shown little or that we’re a vanilla side with nothing that players or managers would identify as a place to be are too much.

Sure we had some down moments, but we’ve got enough talent and excitement in the current list to have others look at it and think we’re building something on and off the field.

Amon certainly did.

The current landscape of some players wanting out and choosing the Tigers (big club recent success) and rumours of links to the Cats (family and lifestyle) is something outside of the clubs control. What’s in the clubs control is targeting specific players and putting in a lot of time and effort in selling the clubs vision and plans. If they are not willing to jump on board, are not aligned in terms of what they want to get out of their footy careers …….. next! If we become their plan B it’s a bonus I guess but after meeting and talking to prospective players it wouldn’t take long for Mitch or MM to make those observations and judgement calls you would think.

Thing that keeps coming back to me is Mitch saying that we will be aggressive this trade period so looking forward to it.

And if we aren't aggressive is that another fail for Mark McKenzie as list manager who we seemingly all rate . Because last year definitely was. I think players also now realise footy careers are short lived , extra security Whether that be contract length or financial is massive. We came to the party for amon which is a big get and a good start, I hope we have finally changed because we don't have the lure of success at present .

It is a hypothetical trade thread. So it is all opinion based with a sprinkle of inside knowledge. Read everything here as opinion.

The problem with this thread as I see it is we have ITK's posting tidbits of information in what is supposed to be a "Hypothetical trades, unfeasible wishlists and crazy suggestions" thread so the lines between "fact" and fiction are becoming blurred. So I'm not surprised that some people are getting confused with some of the posts on here.

Not sure what the point of the Hawks 2022 trade targets - news and snippets thread is when it's all getting lumped here. :shrug:

Last edited:
But this is not what you said (what I replied to).

Whatever point you were testing to make, you made it by stating that Sam was UNTRIED - which is ridiculous as he's coached all year.

You then tried to bolster your point by saying that Draft is our only option, less than 2x weeks after Amon nominated us & categorically ruling out our ability to trade (which can't occur for about a month anyway).

Whatever defeatist position you were taking, you were making sh1t up to support it. That's what I was responding to.
I love Hawthorn and the Sam Mitchell but you have made it seem like I have something against both.

I stayed away from this site for the last few years because this is what always happens. You can see that from my profile picture and username which are no longer relevant.

Some of you regulars think your job is to defend the coach or the club as soon as someone gives an opinion that is not glorifying things.

I'll go now and this time I'll stay away for good so that those of you in control of the forum don't feel offended. But you've been incredibly rude and unfair. I posed an opinion and you attacked me personally for it. I did not attack you or anyone else in such a personal way. This is just a forum. There is no need for it. Not everyone's opinions on a subject will always align with yours in life. Attacking people or thinking yourself as a saviour on behalf of players and coaches (who we are here to discuss) is not your job.

The funny thing is I've been an Analyst for 20 years and I've also been involved with player agents and I actually have something of value to offer, other than just opinions, that is relevant. But I'm not going to accept being treated like this. I came back thinking people may have changed and maybe this time it will be different but I was very wrong. It took just a few days for you to make that clear to me.

I wish you all the best.

Last edited:

Which is why the draft should be the core of a hawks list rebuild. We can’t offer the lifestyle, big 4 club or brown paper bags/property deals - but with the right moves we can offer success. For us that’s more to keep a good group around (and not overpay them) than ability to attract marquee names (outside of opportunistic low-cost trades).

We’re also in the early phase of a rebuild - we shouldn’t be too worried if others don’t see us as attractive yet. If we’re on right track then in 2-3 years we will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back