Analysis Hawks 2022 Hypothetical trades (read the pinned post)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, the "No Kane Cornes" Rule is back

Last edited by a moderator:

Acquiring picks isn’t working that well for them. They ought to be using picks to get players. What’s the difference between pick 3 and 6 if they are gone in a few years anyway?
okay, whats the difference between 1 and 3? or the difference between 6 and 24...if they are going to leave in a few years? I cant see anyone on our list that would want to go there that would cost them three rungs in the draft that makes sense for them to do so. They need a ruck, we arent shopping them. They might want a replacement mid, we arent offering a player of the quality it would interest them to do so.

Even if Wingard wanted to go there this time, which I dont see after turning it down last year, thats not worth falling three slots in the draft, it would be more about staying at 3 and then trading a pick later for him.

Remember last year there was talk of them trading out and the packages required to do so got no one interested despite it being for a guy there was plenty of interest in around the league.

Based on your theory they would want to trade out not down.

If they wanted to do that, that makes more sense but we still dont have a guy that would interest them that we would be willing to give up that would be worth it for them

From my perspective, most clubs rarely have a trade/FA period as good as acquiring a player like Amon and holding their draft picks.

Players and picks will be flying around so who knows where things end up landing. But getting a borderline elite wing who just turned 27, salary cap in good order, good first and second round picks secured. I'm stoked.

From my perspective, most clubs rarely have a trade/FA period as good as acquiring a player like Amon and holding their draft picks.

Players and picks will be flying around so who knows where things end up landing. But getting a borderline elite wing who just turned 27, salary cap in good order, good first and second round picks secured. I'm stoked.
giphy.gif
Bang!

Pick 2 on the table.

I remain of the view that the best thing we can do for our rebuild is get that pick.

These fringe blokes like Bruhn, Henry, Flanders etc aren’t the types to change a club’s fortunes. We need a superstar. The sort of player Collingwood landed for free in last years draft who might win the B&F of a top 4 side in his first year

Every year Free Agents change clubs - and drafts picks aren’t tied to FA’s so that’s irrelevant.

So far, we’ve ticked one box. One. Pat on the back for us but I sincerely hope our List Managers aren’t sitting back and thinking, ‘our work is done’.

It really depends what the goal is. If this is the plan, and how we've planned it from the outset in the context of our list management which would be 12 months worth of conversations and planning, then I'm all for it.

If we had planned on being extremely aggressive this trade period and aren't getting any traction here, then that's a worry.

Of course we'll never truly know and things change and we must pivot, but I really do hope we are being aggressive and there is a bunch happening behind the scenes.

Every year Free Agents change clubs - and drafts picks aren’t tied to FA’s so that’s irrelevant.

So far, we’ve ticked one box. One. Pat on the back for us but I sincerely hope our List Managers aren’t sitting back and thinking, ‘our work is done’.

a lot of work mounts to nothing but we'd be having a crack.

get a pick under 30 for TM & get another trio like last year, whack Karl on the wing & that's OK.

keep reminding myself it's not the glory days & we need to be patient.

It really depends what the goal is. If this is the plan, and how we've planned it from the outset in the context of our list management which would be 12 months worth of conversations and planning, then I'm all for it.

If we had planned on being extremely aggressive this trade period and aren't getting any traction here, then that's a worry.

Of course we'll never truly know and things change and we must pivot, but I really do hope we are being aggressive and there is a bunch happening behind the scenes.
For the past two years, Collingwood have been seen as some of the biggest losers of trade period and are now in the top 4.

St Kilda, Essendon and Carlton have been "winning" trade period for years now but doing absolutely nothing. Even for us, we've had a bunch of high turnover and aggressive trade periods but how many have made us better?

The only talk of being aggressive at the trade table is coming from here and from reporters who appear to have NFI and appear to be throwing darts. The only thing we know for certain is that the club wants to take a certain amount of picks inside the top 30 over a multiple year period, which we've already started.

Maybe I'm alone in thinking this, but making wholesale changes at the end of every season isn't good for a club. We need players to have a sense of security and continuity in their roles more than anything.

The hand wringing about not being active enough needs to simmer down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They don't get the McStay pick if they take if they take Gunston as a free agent, so they're not getting it no matter what.

No excrement, English detective. That’s my point - they won’t take Gunston if it impacts them getting more important targets.

a lot of work mounts to nothing but we'd be having a crack.

get a pick under 30 for TM & get another trio like last year, whack Karl on the wing & that's OK.

keep reminding myself it's not the glory days & we need to be patient.

For me, that’s one of the boxes we just have to check this off-season. It’s a two birds, one stone scenario; we gain an additional pick in the top 30 and (here’s the harsh part), export a player no longer beneficial to our young side going forward.

Listening to SEN trade hour today and in between getting something done may get it a little inaccurate but a person txt in that he saw Mitch Lewis’s manager at a coffee shop he regularly visits and from reading his lips was talking about a trade involving ML. Then soon after when delivering (I think he was a courier) something at the hanger he saw Mitch Lewis. After going through this guys storey Gerard and Edmund at the end said along the lines, “nice storey but a it’s a pity that ML is currently in Europe” while both of them laughing. Seriously why bother what a knob!

You're under-selling it, mate. The list of free agents who have moved clubs in the last 4-5 years who are better than Amon is pretty short. Arguably come out to one (sometimes 0) per year.

And if you really read my post as 'our work is done', you might want to calm down and read it a bit more slowly and charitably. Heaps to play out.

Last year, O'Brien and Ceglar left while Lynch came in. Picks shuffled slightly.

Year before Smith went out, Hartigan and Phillips came in and some shrewd draft night trading landed Collingwood's future 2nd (CMac) and let us take Brockman from under WCs nose.

Year before that, we picked up Frost (future 2nd and pick shuffle) and Patton, lost Birch and Pittonet.

Not to turn this into an autopsy of past periods, but to show that Amon arriving as a FA is probably the most significant player movement win the club has had in quite a while and not something to downplay just because it's been in the open for ages.

For the past two years, Collingwood have been seen as some of the biggest losers of trade period and are now in the top 4.

St Kilda, Essendon and Carlton have been "winning" trade period for years now but doing absolutely nothing. Even for us, we've had a bunch of high turnover and aggressive trade periods but how many have made us better?

The only talk of being aggressive at the trade table is coming from here and from reporters who appear to have NFI and appear to be throwing darts. The only thing we know for certain is that the club wants to take a certain amount of picks inside the top 30 over a multiple year period, which we've already started.

Maybe I'm alone in thinking this, but making wholesale changes at the end of every season isn't good for a club. We need players to have a sense of security and continuity in their roles more than anything.

The hand wringing about not being active enough needs to simmer down.

All reports from the club and one of the reasons mooted for Clarksons early exit was the decision to focus on the draft.

I don’t see how that changes after 1 year of Sam being at the helm.

Amon is a great addition and doesn’t compromise our draft hand.

I’m not disputing any of the links to players this board has thrown up but I would think at this time we may value the picks higher than the players available compared to others.

I’m not worried with “losing trade week” as long as we take a good hand into the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously who really GAF what Nathan Buckley thinks
I think you misread my comment, I said ‘like a Nathan Buckley’ not necessarily him per se. The point is, we need something/someone to change perception that we are actually going to be a contender in the not too distant future and an attractive option for talented players looking for a new home. We can’t accomplish everything by the draft alone & if we run back 2023 with more or less the same list as 2022 I’m not seeing much (if any) improvement.

okay, whats the difference between 1 and 3? or the difference between 6 and 24...if they are going to leave in a few years? I cant see anyone on our list that would want to go there that would cost them three rungs in the draft that makes sense for them to do so. They need a ruck, we arent shopping them. They might want a replacement mid, we arent offering a player of the quality it would interest them to do so.

Even if Wingard wanted to go there this time, which I dont see after turning it down last year, thats not worth falling three slots in the draft, it would be more about staying at 3 and then trading a pick later for him.

Remember last year there was talk of them trading out and the packages required to do so got no one interested despite it being for a guy there was plenty of interest in around the league.

Based on your theory they would want to trade out not down.

If they wanted to do that, that makes more sense but we still dont have a guy that would interest them that we would be willing to give up that would be worth it for them
It was a question, not a theory. The point being is it would likely be easier to get 3 than 2 and that doing so might not affect who we pick.

Listening to SEN trade hour today and in between getting something done may get it a little inaccurate but a person txt in that he saw Mitch Lewis’s manager at a coffee shop he regularly visits and from reading his lips was talking about a trade involving ML. Then soon after when delivering (I think he was a courier) something at the hanger he saw Mitch Lewis. After going through this guys storey Gerard and Edmund at the end said along the lines, “nice storey but a it’s a pity that ML is currently in Europe” while both of them laughing. Seriously why bother what a knob!
Yep. He's in London.

Considering the crazy money for average players getting thrown around, and the amount of 5, 6 and 7 year deals..........i can't stress enough how great we've done in landing Amon for a 4 year deal at 650k. Especially as there were 4 other clubs in the market

Considering the crazy money for average players getting thrown around, and the amount of 5, 6 and 7 year deals..........i can't stress enough how great we've done in landing Amon for a 4 year deal at 650k. Especially as there were 4 other clubs in the market
its not 650k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back