List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Ramsden and Blanck have to be elevated (unless there is a last minute rule change) so if we want 3 draft picks and we bring in 3 players via trade/fa we have to move on 8 players from our primary list. That would leave us with a full rookie list so we would then need to move on 2 players from our rookie list if we want to keep Scaife and Phillips.

So that would be 8 primary list players and 2 rookies to be moved on and no room to move players from the senior list to the rookie list.

Could we delist Blanck and then re-rookie him?

Could we delist Blanck and then re-rookie him?
if we delist 4 players (or 3 plus Phillips if we don't want him) from the rookie list we could delist 2 senior list players and put them back on the rookie list if no other club picks them first, then we would have to move on 6 more primary list players if we bring in 3 players from other clubs or move on 5 primary list players if we bring in 2 from other clubs

Players likely to receive attractive offers from other clubs and potentially receptive to the promise of more opportunity elsewhere.

Reeves
DGB
Ward
HH
Bailey Mcdonald
Morrison
Serong
Finn

There will be others but thats off the top of my head. I'd imagine we work very hard to keep some of them (Ward, HH, Finn) but think its inevitable that 2-3 choose (Morrison, Serong, DGB, Reeves) to leave for more security and opportunity.

Last edited:
Players likely to receive attractive offers from other clubs and potentially receptive to the promise of more opportunity elsewhere.

Reeves
DGB
Ward
HH
Beau McDonald
Morrison
Serong
Finn

There will be others but thats off the top of my head. I'd imagine we work very hard to keep some of them (Ward, HH, Finn) but think its inevitable that 2-3 choose (Morrison, Serong, DGB, Reeves) to leave for more security and opportunity.
Bailey, not Beau

Reeves
DGB
Ward
HH
Beau McDonald
Morrison
Serong
Finn

Bailey, not Beau

Yeah, we're not Geelong!

Ramsden and Blanck have to be elevated (unless there is a last minute rule change) so if we want 3 draft picks and we bring in 3 players via trade/fa we have to move on 8 players from our primary list. That would leave us with a full rookie list so we would then need to move on 2 players from our rookie list if we want to keep Scaife and Phillips.

So that would be 8 primary list players and 2 rookies to be moved on and no room to move players from the senior list to the rookie list.
If we elevate Blanck and Ramma does that not create the Rookie List space for Scaife and Phillips?

In order of who I would delist
Stephens
O’Sullivan
Phillips
Wingard
Bruest
Gunston
Then it gets tough.
Could possibly trade out DGB and Morrison for nominal picks.
I would not have O’Sullivan that high on the list, but I’m a bit of a fan boy, I also understand the unfortunate side of list management too. If he wasn’t getting injured so often I honestly believe he would have found a spot by now, he has something.

I would not have O’Sullivan that high on the list, but I’m a bit of a fan boy, I also understand the unfortunate side of list management too. If he wasn’t getting injured so often I honestly believe he would have found a spot by now, he has something.
I agree. He's looked good when he's got on the park, but this is the nasty cutthroat world of list management. I hope we can keep him somehow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta get the feeling Shammy is very at risk. Not often a player gets dropped after a 1 game return, and it is rarely a good sign.

I know he has another year but still.

I can’t see him being at risk this year. Down year for sure, but his form last year very good. Hopefully he can recapture his offensive side (his run and carry) as when on song he offers everything you want in a small defender

Gotta get the feeling Shammy is very at risk. Not often a player gets dropped after a 1 game return, and it is rarely a good sign.

I know he has another year but still.
He hasn’t had a good year in his AFL appearances but given there are a few who don’t even look close to being picked and at least 3 who would be questionable retirements, I think he’s safe for another year.

Gonna be some hard calls this year, that's for sure.

The 3 mandatory changes need to be in the senior list, right? And Stephens is rookie list, so wouldn't be need three main list spaces
Think you need three main ist spots for draft day. We added Phillips nod Scaife, so are already two over. So that makes five. We will probably bring in more players from other clubs than we lose, so, call it six. Plus apparently Ramsden and Blanck have served their max time on the rookie list, so that makes eight delistimgs.

Keep in mind we can shuffle eg say Gunston, butler or even Bailey MacDonald delisted and put back on the rookie list.

So just because it says eight or whatever above, doesn’t mean all eight are lost to the club.
Delisting and relisting young players carries risks

1) a club can lose the player to another club who has an earlier pick in the draft

2) the player becomes a delisted free agent for their career and don't need to serve 8 years before invoking free agency status which dilutes the bargaining power of a club wgo wishes to retain the player.

Recency bias thinking Wingard needs to be cut. Watch Woods game last year to see his impact.

Missed 3 years of footy thru injury - 30ish still has 3 years to give to this club.

Why would we give up on him?
…because he has kept getting injured for 3 years.

We are very impressed with Dear, Scaife has potential and Phillips is handy KPD depth.

They were the last 3 players to be added to current our list.

Every list spot we have is another chance to unearth fresh young talent.

We have plenty of exciting options in our front half now, and could well recruit / trade for more in the 21-24 age bracket if we have the cap space and the list spots.

We might land ourselves a mature forward in the trade period capable of playing another 10 years.

1) a club can lose the player to another club who has an earlier pick in the draft

2) the player becomes a delisted free agent for their career and don't need to serve 8 years before invoking free agency status which dilutes the bargaining power of a club wgo wishes to retain the player.
Yep both absolutely the downsides, but we’ve done this dance before.

In short - we have enough options to free up spots we need without too many tough calls. Limited draft picks probably helps. Contracts (or injuries) tie our hands.

Breust should retire. Chad may want to go around again but can’t see getting a contract from us. Hasn’t been able to get on park this year.

Gunston should retire - yes he’s had some good games but wouldn’t need to regress much to be sad to watch next year.

Stephens is gone.

Then the slightly harder calls.
Can’t see all of serong, Phillips, DGB being on list with Blanck fit and McCabe coming through. DGB probably gone.

One or both or JOS and Bennetts may go. I like bennetts but Watson, Moore, ginni and MacDonald are all young and ahead of him. Can Bennetts stay cat b for another year? Butler was probably gone but his injury prob means we drop to rookie list (we rarely delist LTIs).

Tucker starting to show signs. We’re full of rucks but expect we keep them all (but maybe a club throws a trade offer?). Ramsden is stuck behind a few.

BMac was extended for 2 years at start of year - don’t see it personally but means he’s safe. Seamus should be safe. Perryman would put both of them down the pecking order.

Morrison could be moved on (via FA) free up just spots or to give him more opportunity.

Expect we hold onto HH, Ward and Finn to see if can develop over next 12 months. They could get trade offers. All are very handy depth at present.

I think rookie upgrades count as the minimum 3 picks? Even so I think we may want a little bit of turnover as it’s meant to be a decent draft.

Plus I hate the look, particularly when it’s done to realise matching points.

Imagine if yourself had your status changed so your employer could sign up a new trading partner or something

List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back