List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

In short - we have enough options to free up spots we need without too many tough calls. Limited draft picks probably helps. Contracts (or injuries) tie our hands.

Breust should retire. Chad may want to go around again but can’t see getting a contract from us. Hasn’t been able to get on park this year.

Gunston should retire - yes he’s had some good games but wouldn’t need to regress much to be sad to watch next year.

Stephens is gone.

Then the slightly harder calls.
Can’t see all of serong, Phillips, DGB being on list with Blanck fit and McCabe coming through. DGB probably gone.

One or both or JOS and Bennetts may go. I like bennetts but Watson, Moore, ginni and MacDonald are all young and ahead of him. Can Bennetts stay cat b for another year? Butler was probably gone but his injury prob means we drop to rookie list (we rarely delist LTIs).

Tucker starting to show signs. We’re full of rucks but expect we keep them all (but maybe a club throws a trade offer?). Ramsden is stuck behind a few.

BMac was extended for 2 years at start of year - don’t see it personally but means he’s safe. Seamus should be safe. Perryman would put both of them down the pecking order.

Morrison could be moved on (via FA) free up just spots or to give him more opportunity.

Expect we hold onto HH, Ward and Finn to see if can develop over next 12 months. They could get trade offers. All are very handy depth at present.

I think rookie upgrades count as the minimum 3 picks? Even so I think we may want a little bit of turnover as it’s meant to be a decent draft.
Yeah but you think Ginnivan and Watson are busts.

Bennetts can stay as cat b for another year outside the list.

Hopefully we have a player that can become that gut runner type player over summer that runs all day to be that option, going by our last 4 flags we have had a player like this, in 2008 we had Bateman and in 2013/14/15 we had two players in Smith and Hill.

I’m hoping it’s Ward that becomes a bit like Crawford something that makes him different from Day,Newcombe etc.

I would delist/retire or trade these players.Breust, Gunston, Wingard, Stephens, Phillips, DGB and Morrison.

With Blanck & Butler to go back on the senior list. The potential additions of Baz,Battle & Perryman along with 3 draft selections.

We may have to delist players like Sullivan and Bennetts who I would like to give another year.
We could also delist players who are contracted for 2025 and re-rookie but I’m not sure how many list spots will be available.

It would be sooooo sexy to somehow include Reeves in a trade for the Baz if it protected our first round pick, or got a second coming back the other way.....

It could be risky losing a solid backup ruckman like Reeves, but if the club believes Ramsden is ready for senior football next season then it could be a decent option. They may think we can cover the ruck role with a mix of Chol and Ramsden.

And then Meek does an ACL rd1? Our season would be over

Yeh, I'm not a huge Reeves fan. I'd be totally cool running with one of the younger ones on the list (who by then will have had another pre-season under their belt) or glue together a rotation of biggish players.
If Reeves is the barometer of whether we have a successful season then we are farked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh, I'm not a huge Reeves fan. I'd be totally cool running with one of the younger ones on the list (who by then will have had another pre-season under their belt) or glue together a rotation of biggish players.
If Reeves is the barometer of whether we have a successful season then we are farked.
Not sure how you come to this conclusion? The two games Reeves played mid year while Meek was out, he performed quite well. Showed improvement on his earlier games and that he has adapted to the new rule better. He is a great back up if something happens to Meek.

Not sure how you come to this conclusion? The two games Reeves played mid year while Meek was out, he performed quite well. Showed improvement on his earlier games and that he has adapted to the new rule better. He is a great back up if something happens to Meek.

Ramma had a bit of an issue at the same time. We dodged one really. Added clay which improved things

It would be sooooo sexy to somehow include Reeves in a trade for the Baz if it protected our first round pick, or got a second coming back the other way.....
i know alot people dont rate English but he was the all australian ruckman a year or two ago, so how about we offer him a decent contract ( enough to get the dogs a 1st round compo pick) then offer Reeves and our future 1st for Baz?

Punk stating he wants to go
another year.

If it were a no go… and a send off was likely within the next 6 weeks… I’m thinking he’d already be very aware of it.

Very unlikely he’d be so definite about wanting to continue…. He’d have been far more vague.

If we are to miss finals and the club doesn't extend Luke for one more season it would gird to have him play his 300th game with another club.

Punk stating he wants to go
another year.

If it were a no go… and a send off was likely within the next 6 weeks… I’m thinking he’d already be very aware of it.

Very unlikely he’d be so definite about wanting to continue…. He’d have been far more vague.
On the money. He's getting over the groin issue and is keen to continue.

When I watch him play, I'm not impressed. Frankly it's that simple.
He's a big man that is not particularly athletic as a follower, ducks his head in marking contests, and provides almost no physical intimidation. I don't believe the drop-off to the next kid off the rank would be noticeable.
Don't care if he's on the list, it's totally fine if he's there as backup.
But if he provided added traction to getting Baz in, then you'd have me at hello.

Last edited:
On the money. He's getting over the groin issue and is keen to continue.
Not sure. He’s a legend and I want him around to coach but I feel we are moving past him this year as a player. If he’s ok with a similar year a lot of sub role or even BHH viewed as a transition to coaching that could work.

Could we carry both Punky and Gunners like we did Liam Shiels in 2022? Play at Box Hill, help the kids and be called upon when required?

I'm certain Wingard is gone. Good chance he gets a one year rookie contract at another club. For his sake I hope that's true. I was of the view that we'd retain one of those three. Holding onto two still might put a strain on our list flexibility if they're cooked come mid-year.

Could we carry both Punky and Gunners like we did Liam Shiels in 2022? Play at Box Hill, help the kids and be called upon when required?

I'm certain Wingard is gone. Good chance he gets a one year rookie contract at another club. For his sake I hope that's true. I was of the view that we'd retain one of those three. Holding onto two still might put a strain on our list flexibility if they're cooked come mid-year.
Wingard has a job offer from the club for next year.

Not sure. He’s a legend and I want him around to coach but I feel we are moving past him this year as a player. If he’s ok with a similar year a lot of sub role or even BHH viewed as a transition to coaching that could work.
We get hung up on using every last list spot but pretty much every club has a few spots allotted to players who have never, and may never play a senior game. I don't see an issue with keeping some older guys on.

There was also talk about a Veteran's List last year, so maybe we've got word from the AFL that list allowance will be made.

List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back