• Yes

Votes: 300 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.3%
  • Bring back the pelican

Votes: 23 6.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO Battle is going to be a beauty. Longy still to prove himself but has time to develop. Certainly there is a position for him to take if he's good enough. So a very tidy trade and very nice selections.

Pretty optimistic to feel good about Long at this point! He was an older draftee and he's shown nothing. The club's not feeling great about him, from what I've heard.

Pretty optimistic to feel good about Long at this point! He was an older draftee and he's shown nothing. The club's not feeling great about him, from what I've heard.
And what aren't they feeling good about?

The Carlton JLT game showed what he is capable of, 7 tackles in a half of footy.

Okay.

So what aren't they feeling good about?

Four games, average less than 10 touches, almost 4 tackles. Fewer scoring shots (2) than frees conceded (4). He didn't look completely off the pace but he barely impacted any of the games.

He might still turn out, but unfortunately taken after him were some guys who look very handy: Zac Fisher, Mitch Hannan, Luke Ryan, Shai Bolton. Maybe Parfitt, Williamson, etc also. I know it's too soon to judge but it's always frustrating when a relatively good draft pick doesn't show much early.

Long is looking like a Boekhorst-esque pick at this point, hope he can show something in the coming seasons.
He's only just turned 20, and has barely had an opportunity to perform at AFL level, how could you possibly be comparing him to Boekhorst, who might yet end up a decent player anyway? Very hard for a young player to break into the side with players like Gresham and Billings who have had 60-odd shots at goal each this season?

He's only just turned 20, and has barely had an opportunity to perform at AFL level, how could you possibly be comparing him to Boekhorst, who might yet end up a decent player anyway? Very hard for a young player to break into the side with players like Gresham and Billings who have had 60-odd shots at goal each this season?
Other than his tackling ability, I haven't really seen an attribute of his that looks like it would translate into him becoming a good AFL player yet. There may be things I haven't picked up on that those who have followed him closely in the VFL over the last couple of years have, but it looked like he was pretty lucky to kick that bag with the Dogs last year, and apart from that it doesn't seem like he's displayed much goal kicking potency.

Break into the side? One small forward position had all of Lonie, Wright, Minch, and Long in it at various times this year. None of them exactly grabbed it. There's a spot there if he's good enough.

? Was I optimistic about Long? I am about Battle...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

? Was I optimistic about Long? I am about Battle...

Yeah I dont like it when we use a top pick on an overage player. If we didnt select him then how far down would he have gone to then have an opportunity to select again? I think we could have nabbed with our 3rd rounder.

Battle is a gun, once year 12 is out of the way and AFL is 110% focus wow wee the forward line will have healthy competition for selection.

Only 20 yes but 'barely an opportunity'? I think theres been plenty opportunity for a small fwd with pressure considering lonie and weller been in and out.

Though not that much older. Long is still only 19 yrs 11 months as of today though.

I do not understand though why the Saints have kept picking up so many small forwards though.

Because most of them aren't small forwards.
Were you calling Sinclair a small forward two years ago? Is Gresham a small forward?

Because most of them aren't small forwards.
Were you calling Sinclair a small forward two years ago? Is Gresham a small forward?

Sinclair 2 year ago = yes I think most people were because that is where he started. Sinclair has grown as a player and has that skillset that good to great mids have in smarts and ballskills.

It was only middle of last year they started to play him at Sandi with some games in the midfield. Against North he and acres were rotating through the forward line and midfield (Which is very much my point).

As a rookie reportedly the club mainly took him on Billings recommendation.

Gresham I do believe will be a small forward rotating mid, rather than full time mid.

When we picked up Long it was with Weller, Lonie, Wright and Meatball all primarily designated as small forwards.

Billings was recruited as small forward who will play some midfield time, but who is likely stay mainly as a forward as that is where he plays his best football. He was being played for a bit across HB to broaden his game, but after moving back to the forward line he has hit his straps.

Exactly how many guys do you need on a list to rotate through our forward line as small forwards, and moreso the ones who are not good enough to play midfield time?

And moreso again as Membrey is now a lock in the third tall role. So that is one less spot that small forward can play in.

PS: If by some miracle we gain Kelly and Rockliff then Jack Steven would probably spend more time rotating forward too.

long has played 4 games...

4 games

that's 46 games off the magic number
Lets see what he's like after the magic 50 game mark.

We have a solid track record having written off Seb, Billings, BGoddard..... add names here....

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Hawthorn 2017 1st Round Pick Watch

Back