• No

Votes: 18 5.3%
  • Bring back the pelican

Votes: 23 6.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If you could nudge the club in the direction of:

1. Trading back into the first round this year
2. Using both future first rounders for a godfather trade (Fyfe/Rance/Martin)
3. Perpetually trading one first rounder from next year for a future first and a second rounder thereby giving us two second rounders every year
4. Using both in the draft next year for elite talent

Which way would you be going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd prefer 3. Gives us the best chance possible of maintained success.
We will likely never get another Hawthorn deal again though so I don't think it's realistic.

3. Perpetually trading one first rounder from next year for a future first and a second rounder thereby giving us two second rounders every year

4. Along with making a godfather offer to a FA at the end of next year. It's very important to keep the high end young talent coming through the club constantly rather than ending up with another situation in a few years time when there's no decent 20-24 year olds on the list. We clearly want our next core to have mostly come from the 2011-2014 drafts but we can't start neglecting the draft like we did from 2004-2010.

5. Trade both picks for heeney and a 2nd rounder.

No point trading back to a pick that's similar to the one we traded.

Take both to the draft and add to the midfield depth and quality, don't think we're quite ready for a "big fish" yet.

Doing a best 22 is so hard already, I can't see how we have spots for half a dozen guys who deserve a game. Keep the picks for next year then we will have to make some really tough calls on guys like Sincs etc. any of Lee, Murdoch, Fisher and Shents probably going to be lucky to get through this period. Those first rounders might come at a time when Gilbo and Dempster retire also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You really want Jaeger to have a fair crack and get the career he deserves.
But I really hope he just has a 12 month delay
Make it 24 months.
  • Two years; no games.
  • Delisted end of 2018.
  • Hasn't played for 4 years; nominates for Drafts.
  • Saints pick him with 4th pick in the 2018 Rookie Draft.
  • Hand him over to Richo & the Saints medical team (aka Coldplay)

hqdefault.jpg

"And I will try to fix you…"

Lets look at this trade, points wise..

IN : #23 (815), #36 (502), #2017 1st (1161)

(Assuming somehow they make top 4 in '17**)

Total = 2,478 equivalent to pick 3

OUT : #10 (1395), #68 (59)

Total = 1,454 equivalent to pick 9

Thats a 1024 point difference so we essentially gained pick 17 for free..talk about paying overs...

Lets look at this trade, points wise..

IN : #23 (815), #36 (502), #2017 1st (1161)

(Assuming somehow they make top 4 in '17**)

Total = 2,478 equivalent to pick 3

OUT : #10 (1395), #68 (59)

Total = 1,454 equivalent to pick 9

Thats a 1024 point difference so we essentially gained pick 17 for free..talk about paying overs...

I'm starting to cool a little on my excitement now we don't get a first rounder this year. Would have liked the options, now I just hope we get one of my favs at our second rounder.

heres how its turned out since no draft picks will get close

team from hawks board
FB: Stratton - Frawley - Gibson
HB: Whitecross - Brand - Birchall

MID:
McEvoy - Mitchell - Shiels
MID: Burgoyne - O’Meara - Smith

HF:
Breust - Gunston - Rioli
FF: Burton - Sicily - Puopolo

INT:
Vickery - Hodge - Howe - Lovell

Hartung, O'Rourke, Langford, Stewart and Duryea are all extremely close to the first team and you'd think they'd play upwards of 15 games each.

Some notes i take from this

weaknesses
-looks like their missing leg speed but then again smitch and lewis are slow.
i think their year is going to coming down to the 28+ guys not dropping off next year to help bridge the gap between the kids and the new core of titch, JOM, Gunstan, Vickery :))).

-also if vickery goes down their gonna be unpredictable yes but majorly reliant on gunstan to stand up and be a top30 guy in the league again and for vickery to not be a liability.

-if you say you take out burger and hodge for injury that midfield with langford and stewart in a major drop off seems like hawks are only going to bat 25 deep this year instead of up to 30-35 in years past so a tough run of injuries and their gonna struggle to be top 8.

-also interesting to see how they can finish in close games since smitch and lewis have the reputation of being big game players in big moments, maybe if they only win 50% of those close games instead of 85% it could be the difference in 5 picks.

- also looking at this team does this team have any leg speed in defence

interesting times ahead for sure

Last edited:
Certainly lacks a little something heading into draft night.

I'm starting to cool a little on my excitement now we don't get a first rounder this year. Would have liked the options, now I just hope we get one of my favs at our second rounder.

Jeez, you guys are hard to please. ;)

OK so I think Hawks will finish between 8th and 12th......more likely 12th than 8th. So pick 7 for us thanks for coming. Trade our first for an OOC along with our 2018 1st and grab a free agent.

Fyfe, Kelly and pick 7?

Yes please!!

Wrighty just confirmed that this deal was done for us to position in the ND to get Jaeger when we didnt think GC would trade him.

Great opportunism by your list management team! Bodes very well for your future direction plus everything else you've done down there. Maybe it was a small way of Wrighty apologizing for a late move for Carlie last year.

Wrighty just confirmed that this deal was done for us to position in the ND to get Jaeger when we didnt think GC would trade him.

Great opportunism by your list management team! Bodes very well for your future direction plus everything else you've done down there. Maybe it was a small way of Wrighty apologizing for a late move for Carlie last year.
Both according to the experts Hawthorn ' get trades done'.
How come they didnt get the Carlisle trade 'done'?

Pick swap this year is more Hawthorn getting done over more than done.

Wright and your list managers should be sacked for that trade aone.

Sold the farm for a cripple

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Hawthorn 2017 1st Round Pick Watch

Back