News Hinkley is staying -3 year contract extension.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've maintained all year that the moment David Koch set the bar at "Top 8" before the season had even started that's precisely where Ken set his bar. In my opinion some of the blame falls on Koch for this reason.
It was inevitable Ken would go into survival mode from that point on. It was such a low benchmark with very little probability of many risk v reward moves in the coaching box. Kochie should have just kept his mouth shut in that instance, or at worst said something like "we as a board want to see overall improvement and development with an eye to the future".

Cheers. It just seems like we are going to be quite good for the next few years. Nothing terrible.

So did we just re sign someone who cannot handle the stress of the job??

No I think a lot of people are believing journalists who make up shit.

Change of tune? Are you quoting me?

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

A 3 year extension will more likely lead to a slip into the green. Deckchair and sunnies style.

So, in 15 months, can we expect the following slogan....

This is 2019 (A walk in the light green)

I tend to agree that Ken felt a bit more free with selection once he'd satisfied his extension criteria. I think we were all surprised to see the likes of Marshall, Bonner, Johnson and Howard getting selected at the same time. It was a clear break from the past policy of rotating half forwards and half backs in and out of the side ad nauseum.

It fits in with other interesting Hinkley selection tidbits, like selecting Butcher in the last few rounds of both 2015 and 2016 when the season was gone. It does seem to paint a picture that he's more willing to experiment once the pressure to win has lifted.

Ken last had his contract extended in the 2015 preseason. Like now, that gave him 4 full seasons to run on his contract. That was undoubtedly the least stressed he has felt at the club, given he swapped out the coaches box for a deck chair in the preseason.

By midseason, the term "gold pass" had pipped it's great rival "pick Butch" for the most posted thing on this board. Ken had his back against the wall and he reverted to safe selections and a lack of bravery. With 3.5 seasons to run on his contract and a supporter base who saw the issues we were having in 2015 as a blip and still backed him 100% (bar Boydman and Robbie4PM).

We will face some adversity next year. Ken will be under pressure contract or no contract. The supporter base isn't wildly pro-Ken like it was in 2015. People will turn on him and the heat will be very intense if we lose a couple of games we should have won. He'll be under enormous pressure and Koch and KT will shoulder some of that as well. He'll likely have some low performing developing KPFs as obvious scapegoats as well.

Will he be brave with his selections or will he revert to an mosquito fleet forward line and the oldest possible halfback combination? I don't have a lot of confidence in his ability to stay the course.

I'm not just being negative because I feel like it.

Ken absolutely can be successful with this group. I said multiple times on here this year that I feel like we're actually closer to a flag now than we were in 2014. Our gameplan is more robust and we are better able to change gears if things aren't working.

However, there are some significant things that need to change, and that starts with selection policy. We can't chop and change the forward structure because we're afraid and we can't employ a gold pass system. Two hallmarks of the Hinkley regime. Defence is sorted, forward structure now needs to be paramount if we want to be able to go from a side that can make finals to a side that can win a flag.

Ideally Marshall and Frampton play every game, but they'll have off days and we'll lose games. The temptation Hinkley will feel to drop them for a small needs to be resisted.

Keeping or losing him are both risks, I get that. Tigers keeping their coach was a huge risk that paid off. I know these things don't always pay off but I think and hope ours will.
It will be what it will be now.

Hardwick signed a 2 year extension in the final year of his previous contract. The tigers committed far less to him than we have to Ken.

We all hope.

Hope doesn't really get you very far though. A critical analysis of your faults can.

It's ok to sit back and look at our neighbours and go "shit, they made
some changes and it's paying off, how did they do that?" and then take note of how the media is pretty complimentary of that, but at the same time criticise people for being unhappy for wanting change.

You can't complain and complain and complain about being second best in this state and then when people say "hey, maybe this guy isn't up to the job" tell them that the club knows what they're doing and how dare they have the right to question it.
But I hope to win xlotto and I'm doing all the right things like buying a ticket...

I love that Leigh Matthews pulled apart the Ken extension on radio last night. He almost made fun of it, sounding perplexed.

He simply asked, is Ken the new supercoach?

He pointed out he has had 5 years and whilst he has got a reasonable win/loss rate. To have him now contracted for another 4 years, almost as long as he has been coach so far. He must be a supercoach. There's no other explanation for such a large extension. Although his results of 5, 3, 9, 10, 7 wouldn't really indicate super coach.

Personally I'm stillf baffled by this extension. Ken's alright but no matter how you look at it, this extension is a gamble we didn't need to make. So quite simply it is extremely poor management by the board and KT.

Stress haha a western civilisation mind problem. Try living in some of these third world country's and have to make ends meet on a daily basis.
Only stess Ken has is should I get one or two cartons of Coke Zero for match day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm confused. People are saying that once the pressure was off Ken that he picked the kids. The fact of the matter is, we don't know squat about who actually picked the kids as it came off the back of another humiliating annihilation and it could very well be a top down 'you will change up selections people'.

Secondly people said the gold passes were gone when he dropped Impey but I saw them return as soon as we were in finals despite Impey not doing enough to prove he was actually going to contribute if picked this time.

What makes people so confident that Ken has changed his tune and will not revert to playing the old favourites and sticking to a one man forward line now that he has forever to coach?

It has happened now and we can't change it however I am pissed off that we didn't wait and see for the first half of the next season to see if Ken had actually changed or if it was like people praying when they are in trouble and then god forgotten as soon as everything is ok (I'm not religious but I thought everyone could relate). And for those that say but Ken was going to leave oh well risk it. For those that were saying there is no one to appoint then don't appoint have an interim and do an exhaustive search whilst someone like Bassett can enjoy his audition.

But I guess we are scaredy cats and didn't want Burgess and Ken gone in the same year because like many on here they are afraid of change. Oh well I'm looking forward to our first flag under Ken within 2 or 3 years max.

I love that Leigh Matthews pulled apart the Ken extension on radio last night. He almost made fun of it, sounding perplexed.

He simply asked, is Ken the new supercoach?

He pointed out he has had 5 years and whilst he has got a reasonable win/loss rate. To have him now contracted for another 4 years, almost as long as he has been coach so far. He must be a supercoach. There's no other explanation for such a large extension. Although his results of 5, 3, 9, 10, 7 wouldn't really indicate super coach.

Personally I'm stillf baffled by this extension. Ken's alright but no matter how you look at it, this extension is a gamble we didn't need to make. So quite simply it is extremely poor management by the board and KT.
Matthews has got it right. He must be a super coach and bloody genius to pull off this deal. Now to convert these super powers into on field success.

My thoughts on Ken have always been that he coaches for his survival. This is not good enough.

Denham has apparently commented that yes there is a new deal but Hinkley “can’t stand the joint”

Apparently can’t stand the joint and the chairman.

Really, that’s ridiculous. Ken could have walked if he was so appalled. Denham is just upset because he was made to look like a goose.

It’s not like Port and Hinkley came up with a contract deal over the weekend. It must have been in the works for months before. Ken could have quit at any time during that process if he hated it so much. When would he even see Koch anyway?

I tend to agree that Ken felt a bit more free with selection once he'd satisfied his extension criteria. I think we were all surprised to see the likes of Marshall, Bonner, Johnson and Howard getting selected at the same time. It was a clear break from the past policy of rotating half forwards and half backs in and out of the side ad nauseum.

It fits in with other interesting Hinkley selection tidbits, like selecting Butcher in the last few rounds of both 2015 and 2016 when the season was gone. It does seem to paint a picture that he's more willing to experiment once the pressure to win has lifted.

Ken last had his contract extended in the 2015 preseason. Like now, that gave him 4 full seasons to run on his contract. That was undoubtedly the least stressed he has felt at the club, given he swapped out the coaches box for a deck chair in the preseason.

By midseason, the term "gold pass" had pipped it's great rival "pick Butch" for the most posted thing on this board. Ken had his back against the wall and he reverted to safe selections and a lack of bravery. With 3.5 seasons to run on his contract and a supporter base who saw the issues we were having in 2015 as a blip and still backed him 100% (bar Boydman and Robbie4PM).

We will face some adversity next year. Ken will be under pressure contract or no contract. The supporter base isn't wildly pro-Ken like it was in 2015. People will turn on him and the heat will be very intense if we lose a couple of games we should have won. He'll be under enormous pressure and Koch and KT will shoulder some of that as well. He'll likely have some low performing developing KPFs as obvious scapegoats as well.

Will he be brave with his selections or will he revert to an mosquito fleet forward line and the oldest possible halfback combination? I don't have a lot of confidence in his ability to stay the course.
Very good and accurate post.

Ken played the kids when he got contract security. Think about this why olay kids and risk losing games when your contracr is on the line play the blokes that are good enough to beat the terrible team but really dont offer anything in the future. As soon as Ken gets some indication of security he can blood the kids

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
If that is true I can guarantee he is the wrong man. His job is to do the best for Port Adelaide not himself.

Denham has apparently commented that yes there is a new deal but Hinkley “can’t stand the joint”

Apparently can’t stand the joint and the chairman.

Really, that’s ridiculous. Ken could have walked if he was so appalled. Denham is just upset because he was made to look like a goose.

It’s not like Port and Hinkley came up with a contract deal over the weekend. It must have been in the works for months before. Ken could have quit at any time during that process if he hated it so much. When would he even see Koch anyway?
And he still looks like and talks like a goose on, On The Couch (18 Sep 2017) when he talks crap about Ken.

Hardwick signed a 2 year extension in the final year of his previous contract. The tigers committed far less to him than we have to Ken.
Yes but, they resigned him when he could'nt get them into the top eight! That is a risk but also showed faith in their coach.

Ken, through his manager, forced our hand. While few of us will ever know the truth, several reports indicate that the GC interest was driven by Ken, not the other way around. If he is so in love with Port Adelaide, then he should have told his manager that his actions were damaging the reputation of the club and to proceed with all negotiations in confidence, behind closed doors!

I also get the stability argument for resigning him but I just don't think Ken has done anywhere near enough to deserve the faith that has been shown to him by the Port Adelaide Football Club. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong but I just don't think he is as truly committed as he (and the club) think he is to the cause. His interview last night and the press conference today were entirely uninspiring for those of us with serious doubts about the decision. Time will tell.

Also haven't most recent premiership coaches won their first flag within 4 or 5 years (with Thompson being the exception)? Pyke will most likely add to that list in a couple of weeks too!
We will never know the truth but the mail from a well respected poster on our board posted a couple of weeks ago that Ken or his management contacted the Suns and was keen to be considered. WHether this was a plan to secure a new contract or a genuine enquiry only Ken knows.

So Ken and KT both lied to the members about Ken's contract and Ken makes selections to best save his arse not what is necessarily best for Ports. This makes me even more concerned as to where the club is heading.

Water's wet, the sky is blue, footy clubs lie.

There is no way a contract was drawn up and agreed on the weekend. It would have been in the works for months. Gold Coast might have pushed forward the disclosure date but it was all but done by the time they came knocking. The van had finished rocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back