News Hinkley is staying -3 year contract extension.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And he still looks like and talks like a goose on, On The Couch (18 Sep 2017) when he talks crap about Ken.

He has to learn to let go. I hope his wife never leaves him.

I'm confused. People are saying that once the pressure was off Ken that he picked the kids. The fact of the matter is, we don't know squat about who actually picked the kids as it came off the back of another humiliating annihilation and it could very well be a top down 'you will change up selections people'.

Secondly people said the gold passes were gone when he dropped Impey but I saw them return as soon as we were in finals despite Impey not doing enough to prove he was actually going to contribute if picked this time.

What makes people so confident that Ken has changed his tune and will not revert to playing the old favourites and sticking to a one man forward line now that he has forever to coach?

It has happened now and we can't change it however I am pissed off that we didn't wait and see for the first half of the next season to see if Ken had actually changed or if it was like people praying when they are in trouble and then god forgotten as soon as everything is ok (I'm not religious but I thought everyone could relate). And for those that say but Ken was going to leave oh well risk it. For those that were saying there is no one to appoint then don't appoint have an interim and do an exhaustive search whilst someone like Bassett can enjoy his audition.

But I guess we are scaredy cats and didn't want Burgess and Ken gone in the same year because like many on here they are afraid of change. Oh well I'm looking forward to our first flag under Ken within 2 or 3 years max.

I'm not saying your wrong, but geez if the order came from the hierarchy to `change up selections ' it would be just another reason to beg the question as to why Kern was given the extra 3 years on his contract before it was necessary.

Agreed that there has to be a premiership to go with the extension, or no doubt many will see it as an epic fail because the club blinked first.

Denham has apparently commented that yes there is a new deal but Hinkley “can’t stand the joint”

Apparently can’t stand the joint and the chairman.

Really, that’s ridiculous. Ken could have walked if he was so appalled. Denham is just upset because he was made to look like a goose.

It’s not like Port and Hinkley came up with a contract deal over the weekend. It must have been in the works for months before. Ken could have quit at any time during that process if he hated it so much. When would he even see Koch anyway?

What a shity thing to say by Denham.
I wonder if Ken will fire a shot back.

Water's wet, the sky is blue, footy clubs lie. ...
Yeah, footy clubs lie to their members but most try not to tell their members obvious lies because it damages their credibility.

... There is no way a contract was drawn up and agreed on the weekend. It would have been in the works for months. Gold Coast might have pushed forward the disclosure date but it was all but done by the time they came knocking. The van had finished rocking.
The evidence suggests that the contract extension was finalised in mid-August.

We will face some adversity next year. Ken will be under pressure contract or no contract. The supporter base isn't wildly pro-Ken like it was in 2015. People will turn on him and the heat will be very intense if we lose a couple of games we should have won. He'll be under enormous pressure and Koch and KT will shoulder some of that as well. He'll likely have some low performing developing KPFs as obvious scapegoats as well.

There's practically nil pressure on Hinkley's position at the club with a 4 year contract locked away. If we are going poorly half way through next year then the narrative won't be 'sack Ken', it will be 'rebuild the list'. Whether people like it or not we've backed this regime in for the long haul, it's up to the players now.

We will never know the truth but the mail from a well respected poster on our board posted a couple of weeks ago that Ken or his management contacted the Suns and was keen to be considered. WHether this was a plan to secure a new contract or a genuine enquiry only Ken knows.
I have no doubt his manager Peter Blucher talked to the Suns and put feelers out. Did Ken talk directly to the Sun management? I doubt that as that would have left him in an untenable position if he was caught doing so. This was all part of Blucher's tactics to get Ken a contract extension and more money. Ch 7 news talked about a possibility back in early July. I have posted the news story from Ch 7 Adelaide's twitter account on here back in July and this week. So it was all part of the game and I suspect part of the doubts Hinkley had about Port and himself.

Water's wet, the sky is blue, footy clubs lie.

There is no way a contract was drawn up and agreed on the weekend. It would have been in the works for months. Gold Coast might have pushed forward the disclosure date but it was all but done by the time they came knocking. The van had finished rocking.

The only thing that changed over the weekend was the number '2020' being replaced with '2021'. Thanks Gold Coast.

With the squad we have and the guys coming through, there does seem to be light at the end of the tunnel but I hope the contract extension for ken, doesn't come back and bite us in the arse.
Be it the offer from GC, or Ken looking for stability with his own job, it does seem that the clubs hand was forced some what.

Who are the winners out of negotiations, well Ken for one and we won't know if the club and supporters will be until the 2018 at least. The stability I do like, as we still may be a destination of choice for players looking for a new home.

There's practically nil pressure on Hinkley's position at the club with a 4 year contract locked away. If we are going poorly half way through next year then the narrative won't be 'sack Ken', it will be 'rebuild the list'. Whether people like it or not we've back this regime in for the long haul, it's up to the players now.
**** this rebuild shit. There are 13 players from the 2012 list when Ken got the job left on the 2017 list, and there will only be 9 or 10 in a couple of months time. If that isn't a rebuild what the bloody hell is one?

Last edited:
I tend to agree that Ken felt a bit more free with selection once he'd satisfied his extension criteria. I think we were all surprised to see the likes of Marshall, Bonner, Johnson and Howard getting selected at the same time. It was a clear break from the past policy of rotating half forwards and half backs in and out of the side ad nauseum.

It fits in with other interesting Hinkley selection tidbits, like selecting Butcher in the last few rounds of both 2015 and 2016 when the season was gone. It does seem to paint a picture that he's more willing to experiment once the pressure to win has lifted.

Ken last had his contract extended in the 2015 preseason. Like now, that gave him 4 full seasons to run on his contract. That was undoubtedly the least stressed he has felt at the club, given he swapped out the coaches box for a deck chair in the preseason.

By midseason, the term "gold pass" had pipped it's great rival "pick Butch" for the most posted thing on this board. Ken had his back against the wall and he reverted to safe selections and a lack of bravery. With 3.5 seasons to run on his contract and a supporter base who saw the issues we were having in 2015 as a blip and still backed him 100% (bar Boydman and Robbie4PM).

We will face some adversity next year. Ken will be under pressure contract or no contract. The supporter base isn't wildly pro-Ken like it was in 2015. People will turn on him and the heat will be very intense if we lose a couple of games we should have won. He'll be under enormous pressure and Koch and KT will shoulder some of that as well. He'll likely have some low performing developing KPFs as obvious scapegoats as well.

Will he be brave with his selections or will he revert to an mosquito fleet forward line and the oldest possible halfback combination? I don't have a lot of confidence in his ability to stay the course.
I agree , if your prediction comes true wait till 2019 then KT especially feel the heat . If for some sentimental reason he continues with Boak as Skipper next year we will know zilch has changed

I'm not saying your wrong, but geez if the order came from the hierarchy to `change up selections ' it would be just another reason to beg the question as to why Kern was given the extra 3 years on his contract before it was necessary.

Agreed that there has to be a premiership to go with the extension, or no doubt many will see it as an epic fail because the club blinked first.
Well I guess I am curious as to why after everyone was screaming for change did he finally crack and do it? Was it the humiliation of the loss and if so I don't know that he gets to bask in the glory of his genius of mixing up selections. It was more that he finally had no other choice. I don't like him leaving it to that do or die situation personally.

All I'm saying is that I think Ken is extremely stubborn and he does not make changes quickly or easily and his default seems conservative. I just hope we see the braver Ken that he can and has shown in the past when he thinks he has nothing left to lose - think 2013 he could be brave and recently if it backfired he always had the GC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's practically nil pressure on Hinkley's position at the club with a 4 year contract locked away. If we are going poorly half way through next year then the narrative won't be 'sack Ken', it will be 'rebuild the list'. Whether people like it or not we've backed this regime in for the long haul, it's up to the players now.
I would agree to a point as
- the players don't select the 22 on game day (don't be facetious and say if they train hard enough they'll get picked snort)
- the players don't choose the game plan

Denham has apparently commented that yes there is a new deal but Hinkley “can’t stand the joint”

Really, that’s ridiculous. Ken could have walked if he was so appalled. Denham is just upset because he was made to look like a goose.

It’s not like Port and Hinkley came up with a contract deal over the weekend. It must have been in the works for months before. Ken could have quit at any time during that process if he hated it so much. When would he even see Koch anyway?

At least while we're all having a go at each other over our varying responses to the re-contracting, we still have a common enemy in this douchenozzle.

I can't see ryder, westhoff, Dixon, Frampton, Clurey, Hombsch jonas, Howard all fit into the the same side. Especially against smaller oppositions.

My money is on Kens defence first moniker to hold out and none of the halfbacks will go. What will see Frampton the one pushed out pic the side

i-cant-stand-59c328.jpg

Read this thread if you want to know why he can't stand the joint - which I actually believe. I think he loves the people involved with the club, but he hates a supporter base that believes that "we exist to win premierships" is missing "every year".

I think the contact with Gold Coast came after the club got feedback about the style of game we play and how unhappy certain people are with it. It was after that, coupled with Koch's comments about the playing list (which was really young kids so he sure as **** shouldn't have questioned their resolve), that Ken needed to be placated with another year on his contract to justify the extra work he's going to be asked to do to actually get things right.

He said in his interview on Monday that every pre-season we work on another facet of the game plan. This year, it was the damage that was getting done to us when we turned the ball over (hence why we go to the pockets, surprise surprise), and we fixed it to the point where we are now the best side for score on turnover against. This year, it will be conversion of scoring opportunities.

95% there.

Yesterday:

No one of importance cares about the opinion of a bunch of petulant children.

Today:

Read this thread if you want to know why he can't stand the joint - which I actually believe. I think he loves the people involved with the club, but he hates a supporter base that believes that "we exist to win premierships" is missing "every year".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

... I think he loves the people involved with the club, but he hates a supporter base ... Ken needed to be placated with another year on his contract to justify the extra work he's going to be asked to do to actually get things right. ...
Ken - "Look Kochie, I know you are paying me a ship load of money but I can't be expected to work hard and turn things around in only three more years. I can only manage one small change a season. I'm living in a fishbowl you know."
Kochie - "No worries Ken, will it be achievable in four more years? We don't want you working too hard because of supporter angst."

:rolleyes:

I think the contact with Gold Coast came after the club got feedback about the style of game we play and how unhappy certain people are with it. It was after that, coupled with Koch's comments about the playing list (which was really young kids so he sure as **** shouldn't have questioned their resolve), that Ken needed to be placated with another year on his contract to justify the extra work he's going to be asked to do to actually get things right.

He said in his interview on Monday that every pre-season we work on another facet of the game plan. This year, it was the damage that was getting done to us when we turned the ball over (hence why we go to the pockets, surprise surprise), and we fixed it to the point where we are now the best side for score on turnover against. This year, it will be conversion of scoring opportunities.

95% there.

so by your reckoning by 2020 he should just about have everything fixed, forwards, backs, rucks ,middle, one year for each. What a load of crap.

Denham needs to put up or shut up. It's not like he's talking under parliamentary privilege or something. He can't just throw shit like this out there because he's been shown up and is angry.

Sue the piece of human garbage.

Yesterday:

Today:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Criticism of Ken because our recent results have been, by any objective measure, disappointing: 'I don't blame him and his misso for wanting to flee to obscurity, ya see I actually know footy unlike you obsolescent drones moite'.

Decry Lobbe as a soulless human being who chose cash over competition?: gentlemanly discourse over an ice-cold lemon tea, old bean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back