News Hinkley is staying -3 year contract extension.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty good.

100 130 in the wet v the crows
112 v gws
97 v wce at home
131 v ess

82 v Sydney 88 v wce in games we played well in and won

82 v the Cats at kp

76 v rich in a sloppy game we lost at home

That's the games v top 8 sides, not the great defense some are saying hey...

Now that Hinkley has got what he apparently wanted, the pressure on him for 2018 and beyond to produce great results will be enormous.

He may have succeeded in silencing our President's public utterances but he will never slience the membership who will be even more demanding and vocal than ever.

Whatever way you look at it, this re-signing is an absolute disaster. We are staring down the barrel of a mini-rebuild as we attempt to get games into the next generation, and if we let Trengove walk then our cupboard of talls is once again getting dangerously bare. I think it's totally unfair (and unrealistic) to expect Marshall and Howard to suddenly start performing like 100 gamers, not to mention if one or both of Dixon and Ryder suffer injuries. These kids are going to take time, and during that time we will have to say goodbye to our premiership window.

What we needed to do was hold off contract talks until midway through next season, when it will be apparent to most that we are in rebuild mode, and try to sell Hinkley as the man to oversee that rebuild, if that's what we believe to be the right thing to do.

As it is, we've jumped the gun and re-signed him way too early, and consequently the club is going to spend the off-season selling hope and potential, only for that disappointment to manifest exponentially when it becomes apparent early next year that we ain't challenging for the cup. And then not only will the fans have to swallow the fact that we're rebuilding, they'll also have to come to terms with the idea that there's absolutely no leverage or room for bargaining and the club has left itself with nowhere to go. And just as it was when we re-signed Choco prematurely, this will create a horrible, bitter situation of anger and resentment, because nothing is worse as a fan than being pissed on and told you're drinking lemonade.

Like I said, it's a disaster.

Last edited:
Our ability to spread was one of our strengths in 2013 and 2014. Not certain why we have stopped doing this but it probably has something to do with the players lack of faith in each other to be able to actually hit a target and not turn the ball over. If you so spread and the ball is turned over you are then caught out on the rebound.
The one thing the Tingles know how to do is spread and find space.

But..if it were true I am incensed but really totally baffled.
Of course its not true.....no way would we hold a coach or anybody to the club if they didnt want to be here!
And why would Ken sign an extension if he didnt want to be here!

The only thing i believe is he secured an extra year on the extension via his manager thanks to the GC interest...

I also believe he does love the club...but can he get us over the line as coach?
You helped pull us out of the mire Kenny....finish what u started!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I think Ken, Lade, Voss, Nicks all get to be fairly critisised and have been. What your saying is the blame actually rests with the guy who built a super defensive structure in the back half which stands up pretty well no matter who plays in it.

I reckon you need to look at who's running our midfield and forward half.

If Bassett is telling everyone to kick to the pockets and have terrible skills then fair enough.

yep but not only is our play wrong, we simply don't have the cattle

we could move the ball faster in transition but our midfield sucks and our forward line is majorly dysfunctional. Dixon is about as good as you get both in his attack and defensive pressure but rgray is not interested in chasing, wingard often leaps when he should be the one staying down, neade is a midfielder not a forward crumber, same said with sgray, SPP has been a blessing but he's a midfielder, trengove was a nightmare, marshall has a while to go and westhoff has lost his accuracy with his gut running.

It would be fantastic if one of our 188cm forwards developed and provided an alternative target to the KPFs. Even better if we could find a light footed hard tackling 178cm aboriginal who could take grabs, tackle with ferocity and crumb off the feet of Dixon and Marshall.

we could move the ball faster in transition but our midfield sucks and our forward line is majorly dysfunctional. Dixon is about as good as you get both in his attack and defensive pressure but rgray is not interested in chasing, wingard often leaps when he should be the one staying down, neade is a midfielder not a forward crumber, same said with sgray, SPP has been a blessing but he's a midfielder, trengove was a nightmare, marshall has a while to go and westhoff has lost his accuracy with his gut running.

It would be fantastic if one of our 188cm forwards developed and provided an alternative target to the KPFs. Even better if we could find a light footed hard tackling 178cm aboriginal who could take grabs, tackle with ferocity and crumb off the feet of Dixon and Marshall.

Anyone in mind?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone in mind?

re the 188cm guy young, ahchee and Palmer haven't cemented a spot so we might have to recruit. I thought Menzel might be an option until I watched him in the finals.

re the small neade and Johnson are our only men but that's not working as yet. Matera is on the move but further west than I'd like and I don't think little AhChee is available for another year but he'd be a coup.

In short, our recruiters and development staff have a tough job ahead.

sternlook.jpg

Why do we need to resort to these shithouse stereotypes? Does the success of our small forward really depend on his skin colour? :$

Could say Gryan Miers is most qualified small forward in that sense in the draft (though am a huge fan of Liam Ryan).

I dunno it kinda sounds like something Kochie would do. Especially seeing how he had already put his foot down publicly.
For all the good that Koch has obviously done for the PAFC he is still first and foremost about David Koch the brand. He came out and stated that he wanted Ken to be a 10 year coach at Ports so with Ken achieving mediocrity this season Koch would have been quite comfortable giving Ken what a lot of people see as a premature and too long contract extension to show he was right in seeing Ken as a 10 year coach.

sternlook.jpg

Why do we need to resort to these shithouse stereotypes? Does the success of our small forward really depend on his skin colour? :$

Could say Gryan Miers is most qualified small forward in that sense in the draft (though am a huge fan of Liam Ryan).

Yep fair call

For all the good that Koch has obviously done for the PAFC he is still first and foremost about David Koch the brand. He came out and stated that he wanted Ken to be a 10 year coach at Ports so with Ken achieving mediocrity this season Koch would have been quite comfortable giving Ken what a lot of people see as a premature and too long contract extension to show he was right in seeing Ken as a 10 year coach.

Good ( in a way ) that I'm not the only supporter who is concerned that Koch's `10 year coach ' comment may have been one of the major catalysts for the `too long contract extension.'

No argument re `the brand ' either, I can't be bothered watching breakfast tv, but apparently the bloke on C9 sees himself as some sort of `star ' as well, so maybe I'm missing something. :rolleyes:

You’re about as popular as AIDS on this board, please stop acting like you speak for the rest of us.
I am liking this post even though it could be one of about 3 I have blocked in this thread!

What ya gonna do if Boak is reappointed Captain ? , geez hope they don't, had his testimonial year this year id say.
If Boak is reappointed skipper expect stagnation and stagflation type results next year, ie we wont have a leader who steps up when its close against the top sides.

Any whispers of some better support for Ken? God knows he needs it.
Dean Brogan is moving back to Adelaide as revealed in mid June. He has been GWS' ruck and stoppage coach for at least 2 years. He should be employed as our mongrel tactics coach. he would do a great job mentoring Billy Frampton. Unfortunately there isn't a place for him on the main coaching panel so we will see if he gets some part time role.

[/QUOTE]

If Boak is reappointed skipper expect stagnation and stagflation type results next year, ie we wont have a leader who steps up when its close against the top sides.

Being thinking the same myself, similar move to Gav.

Personally would love to see Dixon get the roll just so he gets captain's rights to fly the flag and push our opposition around when needed but we already ask Charlie to do too much as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back