News Hinkley is staying -3 year contract extension.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Boak is reappointed skipper expect stagnation and stagflation type results next year, ie we wont have a leader who steps up when its close against the top sides.

As he struggles with his own game this is likely. Equally as disheartening is that there isn't a leader in waiting. Dixon is a decent candidate on field but they wouldn't consider him. I'm one of the few that doesn't believe Wines is suitable simply because of his disposal efficiency. A captain should have the ability to lift us up on the field when we're under the pump. That means skills need to be decent. I can't tolerate another captain that can't hit targets.

Link
“The funny thing is when you are losing you tend to work harder and shut yourself away from everyone. You think you are the solution to the problem but half the time you are the problem. Sometimes you are not good enough at the time and I was working too hard, not listening to enough people, not getting enough advice and I was at my worst. Realistically I should have been getting around my players, getting around my staff, and asking their opinions. You are at the head of the ship and you are steering it in a direction and it’s not necessarily the right direction.” - NOT Ken Hinkley

Link
“The funny thing is when you are losing you tend to work harder and shut yourself away from everyone. You think you are the solution to the problem but half the time you are the problem. Sometimes you are not good enough at the time and I was working too hard, not listening to enough people, not getting enough advice and I was at my worst. Realistically I should have been getting around my players, getting around my staff, and asking their opinions. You are at the head of the ship and you are steering it in a direction and it’s not necessarily the right direction.” - NOT Ken Hinkley
What a year the Tigers have had. Our club's issues may not be identical but we have a lot we can learn from this. hopefully that learning has begun and with the pressure released a bit we can do similar.

It shows that it is really possible to create a turnaround in one single season!
Get the backing of the board.
Good trading in and out.
Reorganise coaching structure and collaborate. Be open to new ideas.
Then suddenly...
Grand Final appearance
Brownlow medalist
Coach of the year.

Come on Ports, do it, just do it!

What the Tigers did was get out the dead wood like Williams and Lade. But here at Port Adelaide it’s a no no we recruited Voss gone down since his appointment and we brought in Lade. Port now is in love with Ken the only option I see a complete clean out of people like Voss Lade and Nicks

Sadly it’s port culture not to hold coaching accountable

What a year the Tigers have had. Our club's issues may not be identical but we have a lot we can learn from this. hopefully that learning has begun and with the pressure released a bit we can do similar.

It shows that it is really possible to create a turnaround in one single season!
Good trading in and out.
Then suddenly...
Grand Final appearance
Brownlow medalist
Coach of the year.

Come on Ports, do it, just do it!

I'm also hoping for a miracle.

Good trading in and out.
Then suddenly...
Grand Final appearance
Brownlow medalist
Coach of the year.

Richmond wasn't really one of those one year turn around stories. They were a good side in 2015 and were unlucky not to make top 4 with a lot of close losses. They also weren't bad in 2014, besides that Elimination Finals loss to us. 2016 was just a down year, but they've been building for a while now.

What the Tigers did was get out the dead wood like Williams and Lade. But here at Port Adelaide it’s a no no we recruited Voss gone down since his appointment and we brought in Lade. Port now is in love with Ken the only option I see a complete clean out of people like Voss Lade and Nicks

Sadly it’s port culture not to hold coaching accountable

It's amazing how much better your writing has become in just 20 posts.

The way the Power has approached games in recent seasons has at times reminded me a tad of Bill Lawry when he was the Australian cricket captain, with his negative style that was more about not losing than actually winning.

The cricket analogy may not work for some, but Kern's coaching has headed down that same boring path for me, and I'm struggling to recall the last time I really enjoyed a game. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

exactly! both with the ball and without, it is why any team with decent clearance midfielders cut us up outside.
our forwards don't even know how to push off or create a metre on a lead!
we do so many things that are just amateur, and coachable.

Why on earth can't the chief spot all these weakness even us fans can see the obvious.. for 3 or 4 past seasons

Richmond wasn't really one of those one year turn around stories. They were a good side in 2015 and were unlucky not to make top 4 with a lot of close losses. They also weren't bad in 2014, besides that Elimination Finals loss to us. 2016 was just a down year, but they've been building for a while now.
Yep Hardwick basically had 6 years of steady progress up the ladder and then a down year last year.

https://afltables.com/afl/teams/richmond/season.html

I can't compare our behaviour season by season to any other team. We stand uniquely alone. It's extraordinarily repetitive.

I'm perplexed about Koch's rant about players not following instructions because on the field they seem to be exhibiting the same habits, skills and decisions. So he must mean the off field then but how is that determining on field results as you would expect players not following instructions wouldn't be picked. Fearfully what is clear is that he's absolving the responsibility from the coaches. Still what instructions are they not following?

I have heard from two very different sources that there was some internal unsavoury stuff happen within our club, that contributed to late season player omissions and likely departures. Maybe Koch was riled by that too.

I can't compare our behaviour season by season to any other team. We stand uniquely alone. It's extraordinarily repetitive.

I'm perplexed about Koch's rant about players not following instructions because on the field they seem to be exhibiting the same habits, skills and decisions. So he must mean the off field then but how is that determining on field results as you would expect players not following instructions wouldn't be picked. Fearfully what is clear is that he's absolving the responsibility from the coaches. Still what instructions are they not following?
Agree, blaming players for not following instructions is a cop-out. But 4 more years ... Ken is the man though. I still feel this playing group has been hindered more than helped by all of the coaches.
Never forget when i heard Ollie talk last year on how he was told to concentrate on his 'outside game'!!
Improving your weaknesses is ok but coaches should be trying to maximise players strengths.

I have heard from two very different sources that there was some internal unsavoury stuff happen within our club, that contributed to late season player omissions and likely departures. Maybe Koch was riled by that too.
Without compromising yourself too much, tell us absolutely everything. Leave nothing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back