Remove this Banner Ad

Roby

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It seems to me we have our best 22 right now minus Hodge. I don't think Bailey is ahead of Hale (Hale did very well against Sandilands and Jamar in the last two weeks) and I don't see anyone else coming in, until after Rd 11 and we may see Schneider.

Gilham also helps settle our defence with his experience and I think you can play them with Schoenmakers, Gibson and Stratton who are quite agile.

I'd say if Hodge had to come in he may play more midfield, or even half-forward, and maybe either Puopolo, Savage or Young may come out. I can't see any of them been dropped, but I guess it may just come down who is most out of form.

Re: Hodge will come in, who goes out?

Unfortunately, or fortunately, I don't think there is an obvious or easy answer. I would have said Young ahead of the other two but his form since returning has certainly warranted staying in.

Yeah I would agree that those three (Savage, Puopulo and Young), will be under the pump to keep their spots.

During the game I would have said Young due to his consistently poor decision making, however on reflection his game showed that he is just a little rusty at the top level. If he had taken a little more time and lowered his vision, improving his kicking forward (and his goal kicking), he would have been pretty easily best on ground.

I'd let the Captain have a rest until R14 against Carlscum - it's only 4 more pretty winnable games away and I'd rather have a rejuvenated, fit Hodge weapon for half a season than a hobbling one for the entire.

I'd let the Captain have a rest until R14 against Carlscum - it's only 4 more pretty winnable games away and I'd rather have a rejuvenated, fit Hodge weapon for half a season than a hobbling one for the entire.

Agreed, get him right first.

correct call on Hodge, as to the question of who goes out, that will be the player who gets injured.

We look really quick at the moment. All of Puopolo, Whitecross, Smith, Savage, Young, Birchall, Suckling and Rioli either add a LOT of defensive pressure or sprint, break lines and carry in a way we haven't seen at the hawks for a decade or so.

Hodge is a different beast - a tough, bullocking type with aerial sense and sharp skills when his body is right. I'm loving the back line right now and seeing Suckling have a party on the wing I'd be expecting Hodge to play HFF.

Unless, of course Hodge plays HBF and the Schoemeister plays up forward. I could certainly live with that.

We look really quick at the moment. All of Puopolo, Whitecross, Smith, Savage, Young, Birchall, Suckling and Rioli either add a LOT of defensive pressure or sprint, break lines and carry in a way we haven't seen at the hawks for a decade or so.

Hodge is a different beast - a tough, bullocking type with aerial sense and sharp skills when his body is right. I'm loving the back line right now and seeing Suckling have a party on the wing I'd be expecting Hodge to play HFF.

Unless, of course Hodge plays HBF and the Schoemeister plays up forward. I could certainly live with that.

I just want Hodge back fit and firing. Will need two weeks at BHH or at least one week to come back in.

I steel feel we are one midfielder short in the rotation (this may explain fade outs), so i'd see Hodge as the HFF (method depends on fwd structure with or without Gunners), and rotating through the centre in 5 minutes patches.

Ellis (fingers crossed), will also add another dimension to our game. I disagree with him being emergency, he needs a good 2-3 weeks at BHH to 'earn' selection....and ensure you are sending the right message to junior team members pushing for selection (Schnider says hi).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just one thing on Ellis, and to digress slightly from the OP: there are very few players as highly thought of by both players and coaches than Ellis. In my opinion, there's little chance of anyone feeling hard done by if he comes back straight in. Actually, it'll probably be more inspirational than anything else.

Just one thing on Ellis, and to digress slightly form the OP: there are very few players as highly thought of by both players and coaches than Ellis. In my opinion there's little chance of anyone feeling hard done by if he comes back straight in. Actually, it'll probably be more inspirational than anything else.

I agree re: Ellis.
God only knows where we play him or who he forces out though.

Given any number of players will benifit from a rest in the lead up to the finals and given Hodges ability to play anywhere well, he could just be a utility for a while.
I want him in the middle at every bounce though.

Just one thing on Ellis, and to digress slightly from the OP: there are very few players as highly thought of by both players and coaches than Ellis. In my opinion, there's little chance of anyone feeling hard done by if he comes back straight in. Actually, it'll probably be more inspirational than anything else.

I am an Ellis fan but it would be interesting to know why they hold him in such high esteem. Can you comment on that Grizz? (Don't feel obliged)

Lets get one thing straight everybody, Hodge does not play at Box Hill, when he is over his injuries and puts in some solid training sessions he will be straight back in the Hawks team, Mark Evans even said as much on the weekend, the person who tries to tell Hodge he has to play at box hill will need balls of steel.

The other guy who'll push for selection is Ellis. Caveat being his body doesn't betray him again.

we are trying a different training regime with the X.

Train in the dark with a miners hat on.

We are thinking with nobody on the oval when he trains we are a chance to get him through a sesison without body contact.

Lets get one thing straight everybody, Hodge does not play at Box Hill, when he is over his injuries and puts in some solid training sessions he will be straight back in the Hawks team, Mark Evans even said as much on the weekend, the person who tries to tell Hodge he has to play at box hill will need balls of steel.

Dunstall said the same thing on his tv show and said it would be a dumb business decision to have its highest paid player running around at Box Hill.

I cant imagine Hodge playing anywhere but Mid and FWD, We cant have him in defense anyways Suckling now has to develop a FWD game to stay in the team because he is being forced out of defense due to the numbers we have. Plus Hodge's best asset in defense is his reading of the play to help a team mate with Gilham and Schoey locking down the KPP then Stratton and Gibson get that 3rd tall role plus there is Birchall, Burgoyne and Guerra who are there so Hodge must be a FWD/Mid.

Also Hawks dont seem to have a third tall which Hodge can provide also if Puopolo gets dropped for him to find form isnt a bad thing because Breust and Rioli can hold down the FWD pocket roles.

I think Poppy will be the one to be dropped. SHame, because he puts in so much effort each week. Savage is a must 'in'. Highly underrated.

Well, after his effort against Sydney when he came back and clocked up just 60% time on ground, and the Freo final when he said he was right to go and clearly wasn't, Hodge needs to man up and say he's coming back thru the twos.

I dunno who will go out though as usual injuries will probably decide that for us.

I do know we desperately miss Hodge at his best in the midfield. We're terribly short on explosive players around stoppages and also badly miss his long passes into the forwardline. (that's where Young really needs to keep improving for us)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hodge knee injury confirmed, but he'll be back in 3-4 weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back