How long does Adam Simpsons have left?

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast have been in free-fall since Simpson's disparaging comments about players from single-parent families or players that don't attend private schools. For that to make it to the surface and enter the public domain suggests a lot is going wrong further down the iceberg.

I'd put more money on more people outside of WA caring about West Coast than people in the entire country care about North Melbourne who, along with Essendon, seem to be copping all the media flack.

If I had to guess, I'd say the reason is that West Coast were expected to tail off for a while now and aren't a club known for poor management or performances. As you said, they were due for a rebuild and people aren't expecting them to stay down there for too long. North on the other hand aren't showing many signs of digging themselves out of their hole, while Essendon are performing well below expectations.

On the WA front, they probably aren't getting a whole lot of criticism because that's reserved for Fremantle and the parochial, one-eyed media here would rather run a million puff pieces on Nic Nat and Willie Rioli.

Lol this lie spouted by every freo fan

It’s freo who get the perennial free pass from the WA media. The bar is so low for them
They never ever miss the chance to sink the boot into WC.. ever !!

West Coast have been in free-fall since Simpson's disparaging comments about players from single-parent families or players that don't attend private schools. For that to make it to the surface and enter the public domain suggests a lot is going wrong further down the iceberg.
He said that in a press conference. Pretty hard to keep those private!

Apart from Oscar Allen (please note obviously it is quite possible none of them make the grade but it's not like Oscar is the only talent) these players younger than him have shown glimpses like they may belong - I've left out those who haven't played yet even if they may be highly rated:

• Harry Edwards
  • Luke Edwards
  • Xavier O'Neill
  • Bailey Williams
  • Connor West
  • Jack Petrucelle

It is sparse though I must admit but that's what you get when you traded away your picks for Tim Kelly and others and haven't finished near the bottom for almost a decade.

Fair enough.

As you said sparse, but as I’ve said elswhere things need to change all over the club. Player stocks are one thing, but getting the 22 on the ground to give 100%, should be the number issue.

It’s hard when your team is down ( take it from one who has gone through it, .... more than once ), but the best way out of the slump is for the club to have a good hard look at itself. Hard decisions will need to be made.

Cut lose the “dagger man”, Tim Gepp. He should be first to be shown the door.

One year down the bottom since 2008 and the casual fans are asking for blood, West coast fans would even agree west coast fans are the most spoilt precious creatures

People have been slamming Simmo, But rightfully so, Some level headed normal supporters point out he's got runs on the board, Internally they saw this coming and a combination of Covid/Injuries have ducked them

Like, Legitamately Your clubs first pick has a ducked ankle, Oscar Allan who gives you so much flexability is out, Your playing a stashed second rounder who's 190cm and 77 kilos in the wet and a bunch of guys who are injured/not ready

Calm down.

Nah.

We missed finals in 2008-10, 2013/14, and should have in 2017 and then missed last year. Not playing finals isn't the end of the world and if you are up for 5, 6, 7 years in a row then you should reasonably expect to drop down.

But what we have dished up the second half of last year and the first half of this year is putrid. 3-17 over the last 20 games with an average losing margin of 53 points and that trend is only getting worse.

We saw the same trend last year, it's just more magnified this year. Started OK and everything was going to be rosy when players started coming back. We had 5 All Australians on the field on Saturday including McGovern who went off early, plus Redden, Duggan, Barrass, Witherden etc. We shouldn't be losing by 100 on a regular basis.

It's not often you see fans of a club advocating that their team isn't being criticised enough.

On the WA front, they probably aren't getting a whole lot of criticism because that's reserved for Fremantle and the parochial, one-eyed media here would rather run a million puff pieces on Nic Nat and Willie Rioli.

Feel like they’ve dropped the ball this season. Haven’t heard NicNats thoughts on the Russian/Ukraine situation.

Its only been a few years since his last ***. The heat should be on Chris Scott, 11 years since winning his first flag and he's been nowhere near it since.

I think they do, I personally haven't read one for a long time, I just used papers as a term, could be any media, no-one here really cares about other state teams, so there is no interest from Vic media

Collingwood supporter?

I call bullshite on having read one. Using one to start the water heater fire, yes.

This post pretty much nailed it.

They'll get pick 1 or 2, have a nice pre season and shoot back up the ladder with the best 18 year old in the country. Would rather finish 18th then 10th.

I dont think they will just shoot back up the ladder next season. It will take a lot longer this time. Think it will be a similar rebuild to Adelaides. But obviously winning a premiership recently does buy them some time with the fans/media and it should. I dont think these games with no effort will be tolerated into next year though.

They were decimated by covid early on, and it's almost like the admin decided to give them an extended preseason so they bounce back next year.
A bit like Collingwood 2005 going into 2006. Not trying, gets a decent pick, then back up the top the next year

Once you are are 1-5 or similar and playing poorly and still have a lot of players out you really don't have much to play for. But our team selections and game day tactics leave a lot to be desired. Why bring in Greg Clark who is a 25 year old inside bull and then not play him at a single centre bounce you can play 240 game Andrew Gafff - one of the worst contested players in the league - in there instead? Naish who I don't think will ever be a star had a really bright start to the year after no pre-season with the team and has now been relegated to injury sub and then WAFL. Meanwhile Rotham and Nelson of similar nightclub infamy keep getting games.

We won't bounce too high next year. List is too old and we don't function without Yeo and Shuey in the middle and neither have been consistently fit since 2019. It's unlikely we'll see Shuey at his best again, big question marks over Yeo and Naitanui. When we bounced from last to 4th in 2011 we had Cox, Glass, Embley 29 at the end of 2010 by which time we had picked up Naitanui, Shuey, Gaff, Darling, Lycett, Sheppard from the 2008-2010 drafts.

We've currently got Kennedy and Hurn 35, Redden, Shuey, Naitanui 32, Darling, Gaff, Cripps, McGovern 30 and are heading into our first real draft since 2013 when we had pick 6 (and effectively traded it for Sheed and Yeo). We'll probably be dogshit for at least another year at least and then how quickly we improve after that is anyone's guess. Accepted progression is usually one or two 5 win or fewer seasons, then you start building % and wins per year from there. Carlton and Melbourne were poor for too long, and North are into their 3rd rubbish season and the natives are getting restless. Meanwhile Adelaide and Collingwood are starting to show signs of improvement already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The heat won’t come. Simpson coached West Coast to a premiership in 2018. He has points in the bank. Fans are grateful for that and understand many of those premiership players are aging - as is the evolution of all players. I don’t even understand why Simpson would cop any heat this year. His team has been ravaged by Covid. They haven’t got great depth to cover it because they are in list transition. It’s going to be a hard road but it’s Simpson job to lose.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bad luck start to the year and they probably saw the writing on the wall early and are just gaming the system because the rewards are rich these days at the bottom of the ladder with early MSD picks almost like pseudo priority picks

Plenty of decent experienced players still on the list so a full on tank year is probably a smart play if you think about it

They’ve played just about every player on the list so it’s as thorough a self scouting exercise as you could hope for

I’d love them to be shit for the next 10 yrs but I don’t trust the sneaky buggers

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

I listened to Simpson last not say you can't blame injuries and COVID then continue to blame injuries and COVID.

What needs to be questioned is their injury and COVID management.

Their COVID management has been embarrassing culminating in the night club fiasco. They just didn't have the protocols in place or they were ignored. The impact of COVID has been significantly higher at West Coast than that at Fremantle in the same environment. Bad luck or bad management?

The number of injuries is not just bad luck. Something is wrong with their programme. At the start of the season they looked unfit and overweight. For example, you can't allow Naitanui to be 10kg overweight and then be surprised his aging knees can't carry him. Bad luck or bad management?

These things aren't all bad luck and that is what should have the blow torch applied to.

All these threads will be funny reading when we rise again

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

There's no guarantee that will happen any time soon - but it is funny going back on old threads that wrote us off in the 2018 pre-season after we got spanked by Freo.

Anyway, I hope we continue trying out the kids, may as well see what they've got. Some look likely while some still look way off it.

Remove this Banner Ad

How long does Adam Simpsons have left?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back