Prediction How will the Geelong Cats fare in season 2024?

Where will Geelong finish in 2024

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon - 50/50
Hawthorn - W
Collingwood - L
Bulldogs - W
North - W
Adelaide - W
Fremantle - L
St.Kilda - 50/50
West Coast - W

Even accounting for the 50/50s both being losses, we should scrape 13 wins. The wins are not locks, of course, but finishing on 10 would be wild. I'm sticking with 13-14 wins and 7th.

Not in geelong they wont. Most of their current team have never played there.
Because of the horror games against GWS/Port people expect our home results will fall of a cliff. A bounce back where we are at least steady at home seems more likely than not. I'm fully prepared to eat my words on that. It's away from home where we will likely remain flakey.

3rd at the end of the h&a season for me

My predictor says 4th but if I put in scores I bet my % gets us to third given the soft draw at end

But I had to get us beating Essendon, bulldogs (and hawks won’t be easy). Only losses from here were to Collingwood and Freo. Bulldogs will be close to a “knockout game” for both teams

My predictions haven’t changed since pre bye (I had us losing to Carlton) albeit the faith in those predictions has!
1719199354264.png

Catempire what odds would you like that they will not win more than 6 games?
They are $1.50 to make the 8 on Sportsbet. Which implies probably 5 more wins. Also implies about $2.70 to miss the 8, so only 4 more wins.

Winning more than 6 out of 8 games would be remote. Something like $30?

They are $1.50 to make the 8 on Sportsbet. Which implies probably 5 more wins. Also implies about $2.70 to miss the 8, so only 4 more wins.

Winning more than 6 out of 8 games would be remote. Something like $30?
But but CatUMPIRE what odds can you give ME for Geelong to win less than 7 games, but more than 3?!!

And likely finals fodder week 1

I'm not sure there's a lot to gain from that if it means not giving more of the untried brigade a look at it over the remaining weeks of the season.
Probably. Our VFL side picked a bad time to have an off game, besides the expected inclusions Neale/Conway and to a lesser degree Knevitt.

We're in a similar no man's land position to this time last year. Even throwing a bunch more kids into a highly dysfunctional side that is down on confidence, the upside likely isn't as great as you think. I still want to see a few from the 2's getting a shot, but we might as well put whatever we think is the best side on the park from here on out.

On Fox Footy, they said since round 10 we are ranked 18th for:
  • Points Against
  • Score per inside 50 Against %
  • Points Against for turnovers
  • Points against from clearances
sure other stats make us look better but that is very ordinary.

Sadly, I think we could be the lowest ranked team at the moment. No use waiting for next year and playing the same brittle players and getting the same result. Time to move on with a fresh start.

No use waiting

Last edited:
On Fox Footy, they said since round 10 we are ranked 18th for:
  • Points Against
  • Score per inside 50 Against %
  • Points Against for turnovers
  • Points against from clearances
sure other stats make us look better but that is very ordinary.

Sadly, I think we could be the lowest ranked team at the moment.
The backline has sadly imploded despite it being full strength on paper.

Probably. Our VFL side picked a bad time to have an off game, besides the expected inclusions Neale/Conway and to a lesser degree Knevitt.

We're in a similar no man's land position to this time last year. Even throwing a bunch more kids into a highly dysfunctional side that is down on confidence, the upside likely isn't as great as you think. I still want to see a few from the 2's getting a shot, but we might as well put whatever we think is the best side on the park from here on out.
I doubt playing a few more kids will change our fortunes either, but I suppose the logic is if we're going to miss the finals anyway (or be cannon fodder at best) then we might as well get some games into the youngsters who are pressing their case.

There are different levels to it I reckon.

For instance:

Playing Foster, Murdoch, & Edwards for the sake of it = Tanking.

Playing Conway, Neale, Knevitt, Clohesy, & Humphries = Rewarding form over senior players offering a similar return.

You're right that there needs to be balance though. I don't think anyones suggesting throwing Danger, Cameron, or Stewart out.

If we're not really in contention though, rewarding the form of youngsters over the struggling MOC, Touhy, Rohan, Duncan, & Stanley for the rest of the year has some merit though.

I doubt playing a few more kids will change our fortunes either, but I suppose the logic is if we're going to miss the finals anyway (or be cannon fodder at best) then we might as well get some games into the youngsters who are pressing their case.

There are different levels to it I reckon.

For instance:

Playing Foster, Murdoch, & Edwards for the sake of it = Tanking.

Playing Conway, Neale, Knevitt, Clohesy, & Humphries = Rewarding form over senior players offering a similar return.

You're right that there needs to be balance though. I don't think anyones suggesting throwing Danger, Cameron, or Stewart out.

If we're not really in contention though, rewarding the form of youngsters over the struggling MOC, Touhy, Rohan, Duncan, & Stanley for the rest of the year has some merit though.
Duncan and Rohan were very, very good tonight. Tuohy besides some erratic ball use/decisions in the second half was better too (I'm just not sure you can play both Duncan and Tuohy in the same side, and I know who still uses the ball better). Even Blicavs had his best game for a long time.

I think our blend of youth and experience has generally been okay. Various form lines have simply run cold in a lot of cases. I, like many, wish Humpries got his shot a bit earlier and think Knevitt could've been given more of a chance - but otherwise we are giving a fair amount of 21 year olds and under games at the moment.

Hopefully Conway is back in next week and the others hold their spots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I think we should beat the Hawks and the saints though. The dogs, I dunno, they're looking good.
Quick way to go broke would be backing the Dogs at KP in the last 20 years.

I have us 6th in the H&A getting trounced in the prelim by eventual premiers Sydney. We can beat a lot of teams but f we run into a strong midfield I reckon we get cooked.

I have us most likely finishing 5th, which assumes we lose to Freo and Collingwood but win the rest.

Win one of those and we finish 3rd.
Looks like I had same win loss as you (assumed same losses) but my predictor had us 3rd - so looks like I predicted Collingwood and Freo losing to others that you didn’t? Lots of permutations and scary given I have 2 games between 3rd and 10th!

Of course we could do a 2022 and go into finals with 9 wins in a row…still gets us 3rd but with lots of momentum. If we get 5th or even 3rd but have lost to Freo and Collingwood, I don’t think we would have a good read on finals success

Hawthorn, Bulldogs and St Kilda are all danger games (lucky he's back then, eh?). Adelaide on their day can still be a handful.

There are many winnable games but very few sodas.
Yep and the soda is a risk as we will be focussed on getting Tom kicking 4 against west coast even if he still has moonboot on! 😳

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction How will the Geelong Cats fare in season 2024?

Back