How will we go Rounds 14-24 ?

How will Geelong finish

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

yeh, he's our no.1 ruck alright.

He's just spent the last 6 months out of the game with a problematic back injury and made his return to senior footy on Friday night.
Usually takes most players 2-3 weeks before they find their touch but ruckman can take a little longer.

And if he did go again he would have stopped either West or Simpson gaining valuable match time and with GWS reportedly asking about West, not sure West would wish to put up with spending time in and out of the magoo's all over again.

Quite seriously, did anyone actually watch the game Friday night? Because one of our ruckman played a very good game, got better and better as it went on, and THRASHED his direct opponent in Mumford (who is worshipped around here).

That was Trent West, not Dawson Simpson. He'd be the last ruckman playing seconds for Geelong right now.

Simpson might be the number 1 ruckman in time, but right now West is the most valuable big guy we've got. He's more experienced, fitter, gets more of the ball (check the stats if you don't believe me), and can actually kick a goal.

Simpson isn't fit yet though.

How can you judge him on one game?

Wouldn't it be wiser to judge him in 4 weeks time rather than his first ever competitive hit-out against a finals bound team of all teams?

Simpson isn't fit yet though.

How can you judge him on one game?

Wouldn't it be wiser to judge him in 4 weeks time rather than his first ever competitive hit-out against a finals bound team of all teams?

I'm not judging Simpson, and think he's got a ton of talent. But right now he's not the player Trent West is. Most fans on here disagree that's fine, West is the one actually producing decent footy on the field. At the end of the year Simpson could overtake him, or sooner, but I've got confidence West will get better also. His fitness to run out games has been one very pleasing thing this year.

West had a good game Friday and atm he's the best ruckman we've got, but his timing at the centre bounce needs to be addressed. The amount of times he mistimes his leap is ridiculous. I think having Simpson helping him out instead of Stephenson will help a lot, but he's still got a long way to go.

I'm not judging Simpson, and think he's got a ton of talent. But right now he's not the player Trent West is. Most fans on here disagree that's fine, West is the one actually producing decent footy on the field. At the end of the year Simpson could overtake him, or sooner, but I've got confidence West will get better also. His fitness to run out games has been one very pleasing thing this year.
simpson looked hurt when he got subbed off and west also had some sort of injury concern at the end of the game. will they both play this week or do you think stephenson will come in for at least Dawson? what are your thoughts?

Agree 100%. West isn't even 200cm(I don't think so) and I thought he gave Mumford a bath on Friday night. He's had to carry most of our ruck duties solo all year and has managed quite well, let alone for someone who has played sub 50 games. Really hoping we can get him to resign as he looks like he's still got a lot of improvement left to come, and with Dawson now starting to get some games into him we could have a pretty nice ruck duo in the future.

I don't disagree at all! your assessment is right on the money.

I would add that the Simpson / West pairing could be the pillar that we use to rebound with. Simpson shows all the traits i like to see in a big man first ruck (except that big clunk). West has x factor and a good deal of flexibilty (his work down back in the last quarter v hawthorn was crucial).

It took Maric four years to get the hang and now looks good. It took Griffen 40 games to get above an average of 8 disposals and 15 hit outs a game. Now he is going at 12 and 24 hit outs at 50+games. If Simpson can't produce much better than that in a relatively short time then I will grow wooden legs and walk through a grassfire!

West still and especially Simpson have bucketloads of upside. They both need to play even if there is some pain in the short term. It can be done and we can still win games.

I went 14-8. This gives some more finals experience for the kids.

simpson looked hurt when he got subbed off and west also had some sort of injury concern at the end of the game. will they both play this week or do you think stephenson will come in for at least Dawson? what are your thoughts?

I think Simpson was just exhausted. He'd only had a couple of reserves games back so his endurance isn't where it needs to be just yet. Despite some criticism I think the idea of playing Simpson was pretty good. He got a good workout, he gets subbed for another runner, and West gets enough support to be able to finish the game strongly. Which in that respect worked well.

I think we should focus on winning games, then worrying about finals. We seem to be falling into the trap atm of saying we will be in the finals while we arent playing that great. Should make finals, but for now play 4 quarters not 1!

Vs. Port Power - Win
Vs. Gold Coast - Win
Vs. Collingwood - Loss
Vs. Essendon - Win
Vs. Adelaide - Win
Vs. Hawthorn - Loss
Vs. West Coast - Loss
Vs. St. Kilda - Win
Vs. Western Bulldogs - Win
Vs. Sydney - Win

14-8 which I have us finishing 7th and facing Essendon in an elimination final.

Lots of 50/50 games which can go either way, which could be a massive concern. For the record I have 8th with 13 wins in my ladder prediction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seamed to be indicating to the trainer/runner he was he was inconvenienced with a wrist or forearm.

Vs. Port Power - Win
Vs. Gold Coast - Win
Vs. Collingwood - Loss
Vs. Essendon - Win
Vs. Adelaide - Win
Vs. Hawthorn - Loss
Vs. West Coast - Loss
Vs. St. Kilda - Win
Vs. Western Bulldogs - Win
Vs. Sydney - Win

14-8 which I have us finishing 7th and facing Essendon in an elimination final.

Lots of 50/50 games which can go either way, which could be a massive concern. For the record I have 8th with 13 wins in my ladder prediction.

Tend to agree with this. However, if we field a strong side vs Hawks i reckon we can win again.

I think we can win 2 out of the three against Hawk, WC and Pies, which puts us at 16 - 6. Mind still end up facing the Dons though.

The thing we must remember is that to win a flag, a large element of luck has to go your way. We certainly don't seem to be getting it so far, but we can't complain as we had a pretty good run with close games and a dream finals draw last season.
I still hold some vague hope for a Top 4/Flag chance because this is STILL a team capable of winning 8-9 out of the remaining 10 games. I agree it is, on current form and evidence, highly unlikely, but as CS said, until it's mathematically impossible, there is hope.
Varcoe and Menzel have been huuuge losses, but that's AFL for ya!
Let's not forget that this has been a season where all teams' form has fluctuated dramatically with the possible exception of Collingwood and there are still 10 games to go for them to stumble.
Up until the very last round last year Magpies were unbackable favourites and we were too old and too slow.
Sound familiar?
I am somewhat resigned to the fact that we are at the low end of a "hockey stick" re-build curve, but I will maintain hope for this year while players like Bartel, Selwood, Enright, Scarlett, Chapman, and Corey are still running around in the Hoops.

And after all this team has done, why does no one give them the chance to flick the switch and find form?

Not that it means anything but I did a ladder predictor which has us 14-8 (I backed that we have narrow losses to Coll Ess and a bigger loss at Subi, with narrow wins against Hawthorn Adel Syd and Stk and a bigger win against the Dogs) and a first week final against either Sydney or Hawthorn. Although in practice I reckon one of those teams might nab 4th. Our % is an issue, I have factored in 10 goal wins the next two weeks and no beltings except Subi (I went -30 there which isn't really a belting) but our % still finishes a tick under 120 and is the lowest in the 8.

Either way you look at it a lot will come down to the last round, can West Coast beat Hawthorn on the road? That may well, along with Pies WC in round 23, determine who gets top spot, and will determine whether Hawks get top 4 or 5th/6th. Carl Stk will determine who finishes 6th/7th/8th/9th. Collingwood should beat Essendon in the last round but it's no gimme, and obviously whether we can beat Sydney at home will determine where we finish. Freo have Melbourne in the last round who will be an easy kill by then so if they can get their % up you never know they could make a run at 8th spot.

Either way, unlike previous years, it looks to me like it will go down to the wire, and we won't be sure until the last week that we will be in and where we will finish.

Remove this Banner Ad

How will we go Rounds 14-24 ?

Back