hypothetical question?

Remove this Banner Ad

Its actually a really good question that the majority of jokers who have posted have made a crack about. What would happen? For some unforseen circumstance the plane crashes and everyone is killed. It is a good question. Very difficult to determine though i think. Initially i would say the team would not participate in the competition (for obvious reasons) and that it take the club a good two years to rebuild itself. They are my thoughts anyway

The next draft would go 22 picks deeper.
There'd be a lot more Michael Barlow like stories the next year.

Edit: If one of the players had one of the hidden deals with the Gold Coast and had a contract signed then would they receive the AFL compensation for losing them still?

It's not a stupid question.....ask Sundance.

Most corporations have a limit on the number of execs that can travel on one flight. Always surprised me that AFL teams load the whole bunch on to a single plane.

Its happened before, Zambia, Torino, Man U etc

If it crashes into the Aussie alps they can eat each other as well......but i guess if it happens they may not be able to use their frequent flyer points

Odd question, but...

I'd say that team would probably not play again that season...even if they could field 22 players, they'd need a new set of coaches, etc etc etc. In short, they'd be stuffed. The teams that play them get a bye.

At the end of the year, I'd give them every second pick in the draft until they'd covered all 'lost' players, on top of their own. Those picks are tradable ( they'd need experience more than anything ), and they get the first 3-5 picks in the PSD ( and with their salary cap, I dare say they'd be 'active' trading/poaching ).

So yeah..Not completely unlike GC/GWS really.

I saw a movie about this i think it was american college football.

I guess they would get something similar to what GC is getting depending on how many players were on the plane and whih ones etc. They would have to get some concessions otherwise it could take years to recover.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw a movie about this i think it was american college football.

I guess they would get something similar to what GC is getting depending on how many players were on the plane and whih ones etc. They would have to get some concessions otherwise it could take years to recover.
one of the best football movies ive seen. so sad.

Free agency when it comes in?

Well, if it was WCE that were lost (or are they already lost) they could just field the Claremont WAFL team, and probably do better than they are now.

suspend the comp for a week as a mark of respect for the players/coaches etc lost. that team forfeits for the rest of the year, 4 points 0-0 scoreline for the opposing team each week. team will get first 10 picks in next draft that will all be tradeable and some sort of uncontracted player options as well.

morbid type of question though. a commercial passenger jet will eventually go down though. no wonder i hate to fly.

Considering there's far more chance of this happening to us than any other team I think it's only fair we get extra room in the salary cap to pay our players danger money.

I think that season would be a complete loss for the club involved, which wouldn't really bother them that much, they'd be still pretty shattered from such an event. The next season they would need concessions much like GC17 or GWS. Lets just hope nothing like that ever happens. We're pretty lucky that most air travel in Australia is pretty safe due to low air traffic and favourable conditions.

Given how professional the AFL has become, the need for suitably timed flights, better legroom and possible recovery facilities shouldn't it be time the AFL considered buying a suitable dedicated airplane. Without doing the numbers surely the total each club spends on match travel would make up a sizeable amount of the running, maintenance and depreciation costs of ownership - the benefits could be huge and scheduling should be quite easy (much less flights over the 5 days travelling each round than a commercial airline would have).

Don't understand why people think this is such a weird question. I'd bet the AFL has at least a basic contingency plan in place.

Or that Stewie Dew was one of the ones that didn't survive. An amazing survival story from that crash in the Andes.

Let the team play out the season without a salary cap or list - they can try players from the WAFL, SANFL and VFL to see if any are good enough.

With Free Agency they can sign the good ones and pick 1 3 5 in every round in addittion to where they finished.

Simple and sensible and thought up in five minutes.

The AFL free agency and conference ideas i've discussed at the pub for about 10 years at least. And the AFL come out with the same ideas. I should have copyrighted them!

Remove this Banner Ad

hypothetical question?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back