hypothetical question?

Remove this Banner Ad

You can't seriously think they would even play out the rest of the season?

not saying it will happen but if this actually happens to a senior squad you'd think they would have the respect to rest their team for the rest of the season and let them mourn and regather for the next season.

Let the team play out the season without a salary cap or list - they can try players from the WAFL, SANFL and VFL to see if any are good enough.

With Free Agency they can sign the good ones and pick 1 3 5 in every round in addittion to where they finished.

Simple and sensible and thought up in five minutes.

3 extra picks in each round isn't really enough to replace a whole best 22 though. They'd be getting flogged for years on top of the heartbreaking tragedy they'd already endured.

You know what would be *interesting* though? Seeing how many of the supporters who had condemned the GC concessions would suddenly change their tune once they realised their club had to rebuild a team from scratch - and they would actually have a head start on the GC too, because they would already have their 25th to 40th depth players still alive.

What would happen say if a team was travelling interstate and the plane crashes and all the players got killed? What kind of compensation would a club get?

More importantly, where would they bury the survivors?

Considering there's far more chance of this happening to us than any other team I think it's only fair we get extra room in the salary cap to pay our players danger money.

Excellent idea.

20 cents a km per player seems reasonable.

Combine that with the CST (Career Shortening Travel) Allowance of 60 cents a km per player and increases to respective salary caps for this year would be -

Fremantle______$1,126,000
Indian Pacific___$1,115,600
Brisbane_________$702,200
Port_____________$532,240
Adelaide_________$429,840
Sydney__________$423,280
St Hildas_________$350,680
Footscray________$342,740
Melbourne________$340,080
Geelong__________$325,040
Carlton___________$322,480
North____________$288,880
Richmond_________$242,680
Hawthorn_________$238,000
Collingwood_______$217,040
Essendon_________$179,840

What would happen say if a team was travelling interstate and the plane crashes and all the players got killed? What kind of compensation would a club get?

Essendon play at AAMI stadium this week. Has nobody considered reporting the OP to the National Security Hotline? :eek:

On a serious note, a contingency plan was considered by the AFL, but not made public, in the event that a whole team was taken out by swine flu. I'd imagine they'd also have one for the plane/bus crash scenario.

Don't understand why people think this is such a weird question. I'd bet the AFL has at least a basic contingency plan in place.

There would be no question about that. Most large organisations have contingencies for extraordinary loss of personnel. My own organisation lost nearly 100 people in 9/11 and it was a huge tragedy but from a business perspective, there were pre-laid plans in place and the business survived.

It is not only the threat of a plane crash. If you think about it, AFL teams spend a lot of time together in one place and when you have aggregation of lives the risks of a significant event multiply.

There is no question that the AFL would have contingencies in place and it is a really interesting question as to what they may be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know if the AFL would have anything in place to deal with such an extraordinary situation, and lets hope we never find out.

The deaths of listed players are very rare; in the last 20 years I can think of only three; a Bulldogs player from 1990 (his name escapes me) Darren Millane (Collingwood in 1991) and Troy Broadbridge (Melbourne in 2004), with all of these taking place out of season.

Remove this Banner Ad

hypothetical question?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back