Strategy Jason Horne-Francis: North trade him to Port for massive unders

Easy, it’s pronounced

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We've committed to Rankine long before JHF came up.....He's not going to the PSD other than in some on this boards fantasies..

No doubt.

But that is more about knowing what we are like than it is to consider whats possible, or what a hard arsed team could/would do.
We won't even table the threat and there was no reason ever to flash pick 5. Yet we persist with this notion that we have to be seen to be doing the right thing by everyone else for the futures sake. Its crap.

A few people have already said that the Dawson trade was an outlier. I agree it was, in that we actually saw a trade come in at fair value, all things considered.

Last edited:

No doubt.

But that is more about knowing what we are like than it is to consider whats possible or what a hard arsed team could/would do.
We won't even table the threat and there was no reason to flash pick 5 ever.

A few people have already said that the Dawson trade was an outlier. I agree it was, in that we actually saw a trade come in at fair value, all things considered.
Rubbish we targeted Dawson a long way out and landed him just like we targeted Rankine a long way out and we will land him,....You think it's a coincidence that players had contracts on the table from their clubs yet didn't sign?

Rubbish we targeted Dawson a long way out and landed him just like we targeted Rankine a long way out and we will land him,....You think it's a coincidence that players had contracts on the table from their clubs yet didn't sign?

It's about maximising value and winning at the trade table. Not how far out we courted South Australians to get them home.
That step(targeting) you mentioned should be the absolute bare minimum we are doing.

Last edited:
Be nice if they had some decent afl midfield experience before we bank on them.
In fairness, JHF is years away from contributing as an AFL mid too. He was horrendous in there for North. Will be a half forward for the next few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume you mean for the price you'd have to pay?

If they were the same price, right now, JHF is a far bigger need.
Of course. In the context of - if we had JHF back on the table and could pivot to get him in for what North want, as opposed to getting Rankine in for what GC want - it’s not even a debate as far as I’m concerned.

In fairness, JHF is years away from contributing as an AFL mid too. He was horrendous in there for North. Will be a half forward for the next few years.
Taking the piss surely?
1 game in single figure disposals (16.5 average) in his first year in one of the worst teams known to man.

How is it that teams that always seem to play nice continually get screwed at the trade table, but the mean bastards always seem to come out on top?

This whole diplomacy facade is a crock of s**t when it comes to trading in AFL Circles. What good has it ever done us?

The concept of treating em mean, keeping em keen has more than one application.
I still can’t work out why everyone gives Dodoro shit..

I would take Dodoro in an instant over the buffoons running our list management and trading.

Theres no way Dodoro let’s Brad Crouch leave for band 3 compo. just as he did with Daniher to the lions, he would’ve made the saints bend the rules and come to the party to ensure band 1 compo was achieved Or he would’ve blown the whole thing up.

he’s a ruthless prick.. more often than not that’s what’s needed to get the best results.

I still can’t work out why everyone gives Dodoro s**t..

I would take Dodoro in an instant over the buffoons running our list management and trading.

Theres no way Dodoro let’s Brad Crouch leave for band 3 compo. just as he did with Daniher to the lions, he would’ve made the saints bend the rules and come to the party to ensure band 1 compo was achieved Or he would’ve blown the whole thing up.

he’s a ruthless prick.. more often than not that’s what’s needed to get the best results.

If every other teams supporter thinks hes absolute arseh*le, then he's doing his job. No fear of how he/they are perceived. No fear of burning mythical bridges in a closed marketplace.

Besides Carlton supporters, I doubt very many know the name of ours.

Surely you know having watched them
as juniors who has played more midfield both underage and AFL
Rachele missed a whole year of football in his development Horne-Francis didn't.

At the U16's level before Rachele missed a whole year of development he was awarded the Kevin Sheahan Medal (M.V.P.) as the most outstanding player of the Carnival. JHF played in that Carnival also.

I watched almost every game Rankine and Horne-Francis played as 17 and 18 year olds and to my eye Rankine was more impressive than Horne-Francis

MIDFIELDERS

YOUSEPH DIB (Vic Metro / Oakleigh Chargers): Small midfielder who wins his own ball and uses it well on either foot. Creative player who averaged 19 disposals (11 contested possessions), 7.3 tackles and 3.7 clearances across the championships.

BRODIE LAKE (Northern Territory): Tall running wingman or flanker who covers the ground with his running capability, enabling him to get to contest after contest. Averaged 18.7 disposals (13 contested possessions), 5.3 clearances, 4 tackles, 4 inside-50s and 1 goal on his way to winning NT’s MVP award.

TOBY CONWAY (Vic Country / Geelong Falcons): Developing ruckman who emerged as the Championships unfolded, playing his best game in Round 3 against South Australia to be among his team’s best contributors with his clean hands and impressive ruck craft. Averaged 16 hitouts per game and a disposal efficiency of 70% and looks to have significant further physical development in him.

TYLER SONSIE (Vic Metro / Eastern Ranges): Medium midfielder who had an outstanding championships, winning Vic Metro’s MVP award as he averaged 22.7 disposals, 3.3 clearances and 3.3 tackles. A prolific ball-winner with natural goal sense, he kicked 4 goals against Western Australia in the deciding game to help assure his team of the title.

JOSH RACHELE (Vic Country / Murray Bushrangers - pictured, second from left): Small midfielder/forward who was a prolific ball-winner throughout the championships, averaging 26 disposals, 4.3 marks, 2.3 clearances and 4 tackles. A clean ball-handler who is elusive and creative, he won Vic Country’s MVP award as well as the Kevin Sheehan Medal for the Best and Fairest player in Division One.

BEN HOBBS (Vic Country / GWV Rebels - pictured, right): Medium midfielder who has a good balance between winning his own ball and providing run on the outside. Was a prolific ball-winner in the championships, averaging 25.7 disposals (11 contested possessions), 6.7 tackles, 5 clearances and a goal a game.

FORWARDS

JASON HORNE (South Australia): Medium forward/midfielder who captained South Australia and won their MVP award. Averaged 17.7 disposals (9 contested possessions), 4.3 marks, 6 tackles and 4 clearances across the championships.

SAM STENING (New South Wales): Lightly-built key forward who can be difficult to defend because he marks the ball at the highest point and also has the athleticism to recover at ground level. Averaged 15.3 disposals (8 contested possessions), 5 marks, 3.7 shots on goal and 2 assists.

BLAKE HOWES (Vic Metro / Sandringham Dragons): Medium forward who can mark the ball overhead and recover and win it at ground level. A very good finisher who averaged 12.7 disposals (6.7 contested possessions), 3.7 inside-50s and 1.7 goals a game.

NOAH McFADYEN (Queensland): Medium forward with clean hands overhead and at ground level and an exceptional kick for goal. Kicked 8 goals vs Northern Territory to cap off his championships and averaged 10.3 disposals, 5.3 marks and 4.7 goals. Younger brother of Brisbane Lions player Connor McFadyen.

ALEX LUKIC (Vic Metro / Oakleigh Chargers): Mobile tall forward with outstanding goal sense averaging 3 goals per game from his 9.7 disposals and 2 marks. Kicked 5 goals against Western Australia and 4 against Vic Country in a productive championships for a forward.

ISAIAH DUDLEY (South Australia): Small forward with clean hands and innate goal sense. Averaged 18 disposals. 1.7 goals and 8 tackles across the championships, with his 27 disposals and 4 goals in his team’s opening win over Western Australia outstanding.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Jason Horne-Francis: North trade him to Port for massive unders

Back