Player Watch Jordan Dawson - Our New Captain!

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done Dawson! Hopefully there won’t be too much distracting off-field matters this year that may sap his playing energy. I think the club has no choice but to go with Dawson this year, to get the players all on board and won’t get much fan backlash.

Hoping Sloane can also focus more on the recovery and get back to his best. Good to finally get this issue sorted out so the guys can focus on their footy!

Do you reckon Doedee has told the club its his last year at the Crows? So not to give it to him?
You could look at it as the majority of the "Doedee is the next Captain" talk happened before Dawson was at the club and they've simply found what they think is a better option.

Unfortunately Sloane's tenure as captain will be remembered as the club's worst period of on-field performance in its history. That doesn't mean Rory was a bad captain or his leadership contributed to the slide, but Sloane being skipper and us being shit went hand in hand - that's what's happened. It's time to turn over a new leaf.

In terms of where they play, one of them referred to having a “captain on every line.” So Tex forward and either Sloane mid and Dawson back, or Dawson mid (wing) and Sloane back ?
I probably need to watch it again but i thought Nicksy looked surprised/slightly uncomfortable when Rory said that.

I probably need to watch it again but i thought Nicksy looked surprised/slightly uncomfortable when Rory said that.
If I was a Captain I wouldn’t want last captains referring to themselves as always a captain, this is your team. Sloane may have thought he was saying right thing but he should have just referred to it as always a leader

If I was a Captain I wouldn’t want last captains referring to themselves as always a captain, this is your team. Sloane may have thought he was saying right thing but he should have just referred to it as always a leader
Yes… or maybe Nicksy hasn’t yet broken the news to Rory that he’ll be starting on the bench or as sub.

Doedee is an excellent speaker, but still lacks some things in his game to be club captain.

Dawson and Laird come across as the most complete players at the club.

I think it is perfectly timed and an excellent choice to have Dawson as captain. He’ll do well.

I don’t think Doedee lacks Captain traits on game day

His courage is undeniable and he shows great voice and leadership down back, when is body is on song I think he is a very very good quality defender

However what Doedee lacks is continuity, he either plays injured or he misses some footy each year, this is largely due to the way he plays, he attacks the ball without fear

In terms of Dawson, game day he is a top 2-3 player at our club, I haven’t seen enough of Dawson on game day commanding the troops, or we haven’t seen how he challenges players, and drives standards during the week

So there are still some unknowns when it comes to Dawson, but it’s still an appointment that I can get behind and support

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You could look at it as the majority of the "Doedee is the next Captain" talk happened before Dawson was at the club and they've simply found what they think is a better option.

Bit like when we had Tex, Sloane and Danger and Talia was never mentioned in those discussions, but probably should have been. People who worthy of being captain are fully aware of those around them and understand why it's not going to be them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately Sloane's tenure as captain will be remembered as the club's worst period of on-field performance in its history. That doesn't mean Rory was a bad captain or his leadership contributed to the slide, but Sloane being skipper and us being s**t went hand in hand - that's what's happened. It's time to turn over a new leaf.

And off-field. And also, that doesn't mean he contributed to the slide, but our culture deteriorated to about as low as we've seen from any club in the modern era under his watch.

In terms of where they play, one of them referred to having a “captain on every line.” So Tex forward and either Sloane mid and Dawson back, or Dawson mid (wing) and Sloane back ?

i think this isn't to be taken literally. Each line has a leader, Talia was it for years down back. They're not so rigid that there'll be a captain on every line, especially given doubts over how Rory is going to return.

it means nothinG in terms of where he plays and whether he's happy with the way he's being used. Surely you're not suggesting that he'd refuse the captaincy just because he wasn't happy with the way he's being used?
Sloaney said a captain on each line, so 1: it means sloaney is playing and 2: it means one of Jordan or Rory is playing back. 😆

Sloaney said a captain on each line, so 1: it means sloaney is playing and 2: it means one of Jordan or Rory is playing back. 😆
Buggar... if this were really needed, we would have been better off making Doedee captain! ;)

Watched the presser, Dawson got to say a few words, but then they kept asking Sloane about his decision to stand down, over and over. The new captain is there and you haven’t asked do what’s your vision for the team, or what are your priorities for the year, or who do you think will be a standout this year

Un-feckin-believable

Watched presser properly later. The presser itself was poor, but moreso because it was made about Sloane first and then Dawson, with Sloane sitting there the whole time. Took away from Dawson's moment. They all handled it fine but it was quite weird I felt.

Go and watch the presser of Walsh announcing Tex. I still get goosebumps, and not just because it was Walsh.

I feel like premiership winning captains can hold onto the title permanently. Your VB/Sloane types not so much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jordan Dawson - Our New Captain!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back