Player Watch Jordan Dawson - Our New Captain!

Remove this Banner Ad

Rory made the point that we would have leaders on every part of the ground. Presumably Tex forward, Dawson back and himself mid.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes, Rory made that statement (not the coach, nor Captain of the club) and pretty sure he used the word CAPTAINS, not leaders. Nicksy looked a little uncomfortable as Rory said it.
Maybe Nicksy hasn’t actually told Rory what position he’ll be playing yet.. and it could be off the bench or sub or……..

Last edited:

Has there been a worse one? Even the timing of it. How Shuttleworth survived that one I’ll never know
Was the most embarrassing moment for the club.

Complete train wreck & reminder of why Burton should never be back at our club.

Was the most embarrassing moment for the club.

Complete train wreck & reminder of why Burton should never be back at our club.
The worse thing is was that it was so predictable that Burton was going to f.1c k up the club when he was appointed … slow moving train wreck , shame it was Roo’s fault . Too much faith in his mates

The worse thing is was that it was so predictable that Burton was going to f.1c k up the club when he was appointed … slow moving train wreck , shame it was Roo’s fault . Too much faith in his mates
Yes, he has been a failure at everything post football & yet because he is Roo's mate he is promoted at AFC to a position that enabled him to do irreparable damage to our club when in a premiership window.

Anyone who has met him knows he should never be in any managerial position nor in charge of fitness & conditioning of players.

This & Tippett-gate are the 2 things that piss me off most.

Worse than any by far , on a sat arvo in season 😂 and there’s been some shockers
The most awkward press conference ever.

IMO, that was the moment that Pyke decided enough was enough and took over from Burton and admitted that we got things wrong, after Birdman fumbling his way through denial after denial.

Was probably the moment that Pyke thought I need to get out of this shambles. Yes, he played a part in the camp, but it was the ineptness of our ability to handle the fallout that was much worse than the camp itself.

Doedee is an excellent speaker, but still lacks some things in his game to be club captain.

Dawson and Laird come across as the most complete players at the club.

I think it is perfectly timed and an excellent choice to have Dawson as captain. He’ll do well.

what are the things in his game that he lacks? Staying on the park and/or stupidly playing when injury is too limiting are 2 things that I can think of in terms of his game. But presumably you have more criticisms of his game.

Watched presser properly later. The presser itself was poor, but moreso because it was made about Sloane first and then Dawson, with Sloane sitting there the whole time. Took away from Dawson's moment. They all handled it fine but it was quite weird I felt.

Go and watch the presser of Walsh announcing Tex. I still get goosebumps, and not just because it was Walsh.

It's not unexpected when the outgoing refuses to call time prior to the decision being made. That's why nearly every other soon to be ex-captain stands aside prior to the decision on the new captain being made. They get to have their press conference about their career and that clears the way for the new guy to have his a few weeks down the track.

It's not unexpected when the outgoing refuses to call time prior to the decision being made. That's why nearly every other soon to be ex-captain stands aside prior to the decision on the new captain being made. They get to have their press conference about their career and that clears the way for the new guy to have his a few weeks down the track.

Yep. In the other thread I mentioned that I don't think this was decided until very recently, contrary to what others have said that it was decided a while ago and they were just waiting to announce it.

Jordan Dawson being made captain made Rory a better father, son, teammate, brother and husband. Rory reckons that Jordan Dawson is also now the captain, godfather and protector of the AFC. Jordan Dawson.

Jordan Dawson additive in your fuel tank improves fuel consumption and engine power - Rory Sloane probably

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, Rory made that statement (not the coach, nor Captain of the club) and pretty sure he used the word CAPTAINS, not leaders. Nicksy looked a little uncomfortable as Rory said it.
Maybe Nicksy hasn’t actually told Rory what position he’ll be playing yet.. and it could be off the bench or sub or……..

In 2016 VB was stupidly selected by Pyke in round 1 ahead of Hartigan against a tall Roos forward group. He was absolutely hopeless and his selection definitely cost us the game, having lost by less than a goal and Roos' big forwards sharing in about 10 goals. Eventually, after half a season in the 2s and only due to injuries (and probably politics), VB was selected against the hapless Suns. When interviewed on AA he was very keen to tell us that he and Talia "are the 2 leaders down back". He was average against the suns and poor the next week and that was his career done. Meanwhile a kid had been banging down the door, travelled and unplayed emergency against the Suns, returned to an SANFL bye and missed his crack.

There's some weird infatuation among our older players when it comes to providing 'experience'. How about you demand selection upon performance alone prior to your contract year as a starting point. If you're being selected ahead of a kid based on your experience ahead of actual performance, then it's time to retire. No premiership winning club manages list or selects based upon games played. We certainly didn't in '97 and '98.

Last edited:
Has there been a worse one? Even the timing of it. How Shuttleworth survived that one I’ll never know

shuttleworth is a middle man. The issue was the message demanded at a board level. Something about silk purse and a sow's ear. The camp issue only grew the legs it did because the board refused to accept that anything at all could have gone wrong. Why they'd choose to look stupid themselves by protecting staff in the manner that they did is anyone's guess. Plus we had a CEO that had burned shit trucks of $ on failed side hussles, so he was compromosed as well. And this is all off the back of the Trigg debacle where the board accepted double penalties ahead of Trigg outing them as equally culpable.

Most of that era is done and dusted, but the sad reality is that there's no reason for a cultural change at board level. They have the right to self perpetuate unless the AFL steps in. Which they won't unless we start tugging at their purse strings. It's no different to Kochie dismissing a very plain talking, upfront and honest Tredders, who demands premierships for the club. "Demand premierships, ease up turbo, let's not start to measure performance based upon premierships, ignore the mission statement, creed if you will, we're comfortably meeting all the important KPIs that we've set for ourselves. Sizzle a few sausages and then we'll chat.".

Both the SA clubs are full of self perpetuating swill that have fallen arse backwards into an industry that simply pours a shit truck of $ into the funnel that controls the 2 major spends, players and footy dept. I can at least respect Port because they don't have the whole of state support and head start that we did. But we've been pushing away our competetitive advantage for years. Instead of using it to be a genuine regular contender, we've chosen to just use it to believe that we're better than the mob down Alberton way. Newsflash, it's hard to see any way that we're actually run better.

Yep. In the other thread I mentioned that I don't think this was decided until very recently, contrary to what others have said that it was decided a while ago and they were just waiting to announce it.

disagree, i reckon nix and co had ruled a line through Rory a fair way out. But they needed some clean air between his last public statement regarding maintaining captaincy and sacking him from the role. That time has allowed the average supporter to actually forget Rory's position and believe that Rory stood down prior to a decision being made by the coaches. It's not a new decision, the announcement is late so that it can be spun that Rory is "handing over" the captaincy.

Rory made the point that we would have leaders on every part of the ground. Presumably Tex forward, Dawson back and himself mid.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes, picked that up and will be interesting to see what happens in the early rounds.

And any player that kicks a goal after the siren against the PAPs deserves immortality and captaincy.

Last edited:

But Rory just praised him in a huge way. How do you reconcile that? Or do you think he's that ignorant of club history that he believes Burto was captain?

D09D4D03-9D91-4FB3-9471-2ED4D98DAF9B.png

The most awkward press conference ever.

IMO, that was the moment that Pyke decided enough was enough and took over from Burton and admitted that we got things wrong, after Birdman fumbling his way through denial after denial.

Was probably the moment that Pyke thought I need to get out of this shambles. Yes, he played a part in the camp, but it was the ineptness of our ability to handle the fallout that was much worse than the camp itself.

Pyke was sacked. He had his opportunity to enact change, he chose not to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jordan Dawson - Our New Captain!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back