Player Watch Jordan Dawson - Our New Captain!

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicks knew what he was doing when he handed Dawson the captaincy. It was a moment like when Hot Rod got the matrix from Galvatron and became Rodimus Prime.

Those who know the reference will know. Still a 10x better transformers movie than Michael Bays garbage
He's taken on the responsibility like when mysterious Tom stepped up and took on Big Carl and left Tarz to fight Pansy while Old Methuselah held the money.
Those who know the reference will know. 👊

into 10 to 1 for the Brownlow (equal 4th along with Petracca) and only behind strong fave ND, Bont and Oliver. With Oliver and Pets taking votes from each other, if ND and Bont hit any form slumps, injuries or tagging (ND), then the 81-1 first mentioned after week 2 for Captain Courageous seems very tasty. As always, wished I had gone harder but our best recruit since the 90's when we got Jars and the pick swap with Freo for Mc Leod. Thommo was good with MLB but Dawson going WAY past this level already..
Eddie Betts says Hi

Uh Eddie Betts would like a word.
fair call mate i certainly should have quoted Eddie (and also Rankine) in the mix of elite ins. That said, Dawson is structurally a lot more important as a difference making elite on baller - quite possibly the best kick in the AFL and potentially a Brownlow Medalist and Premiership Captain in the not too distant future. Everyone loves Eddie but Dawson is next level IMO

How soon people forget how Thommo carried our midfield for quite a number of years when he was in his prime.
absolutely - love Thiommo and we have also had some other excellent inbound players (Scotty Welsh). in terms of inbound elite players the following 6 jump out to me over our history (probably in this order). All very subjective of course but here goes..

- Jars (for Wellman) and Mc Leod (for Groom) - equal first. Both the standouts in our flags - both the prelims and the GFs in 97/98

• Dawson (projecting) to become the next greatest trade with a small chance to overtake the above (but would take Brownlow Medal winning Premiership Captain)
  • Eddie Betts as a FA (bargain and many thought 500k was overs at the time..)
  • Rankine has the potential to be a greater player than Eddie IMHO so likely to pass Eddie by the end of his career on this list
  • Thommo, saw every one one his games and an absolute gun. Just not quite as classy and didnt perform on the big stage and at times completely stunk it up (St Kilda home qualifying final 2005) but an excellent recruit overall

How soon people forget how Thommo carried our midfield for quite a number of years when he was in his prime.

McLeod, Jarman, Robran, Betts, Thompson, Jacobs top in 6 traded in players in that order I reckon

Before anyone says Dawson and Rankine they are tracking phenomenaly but it's nine games in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But in that case why not include Peter Caven, Brett James, Matt Connell, Kym Koster and Shane Ellen?
Which of those had 20 possessions and kicked 6 goals from CHF in a preliminary final?

McLeod, Jarman, Robran, Betts, Thompson, Jacobs top in 6 traded in players in that order I reckon

Before anyone says Dawson and Rankine they are tracking phenomenaly but it's nine games in.

Bassett and Welsh are pretty unlucky here.

Caven on Carey in a GF?
Was very very good. I loved Caven.

Robran Had a better career though.

Personally, I'd have him behind Betts though.

Edit: probably Thommo too.

If you don't remember the pivotal role he played in both flags (both winning and getting there) then I suggest you rewatch some replays.
Ummm watch them again? It's pretty much the only replays we can watch without bringing up bad memories for the last 25 years!!!!

Brett James was one of my favourites from the GF era - was crucial. Even helped my Redlegs win a premiership in 1997 :)

I'm not saying the Robran wasn't an important part ... but to have him at #3 all-time of the imports seems a bit high.

MT: How do you feel the team is tracking?
JD: Really well. From pre-season, you could see guys coming through who were playing good footy and training really well, and could see guys who were going to go to another level. Obviously there’s been a few frustrating games that you wish you could change. But it’s good we’ve bounced back from a couple of those and had some really good wins as well. Touch wood, but we’ve been pretty lucky with injuries, a lot of guys are fit and healthy, so we’ve got to make the most of that.
MT: So you were not surprised to have seven wins right now?
JD: I was hoping we would be around that. I could see the growth from last year. I was pretty optimistic with how we’re travelling so we’re sitting about where I thought we would.
MT: Does it feel much different heading into the bye at 7-6 compared to say last year when you had just four wins after 13 rounds?
JD: Definitely. This time last year it wasn’t as positive because you’re not winning as much. It’s nice to be in that frame where there’s a lot of teams vying for the top eight. We can’t get ahead of ourselves. We’ve got to reset, know what got us to this position and try to improve.

MT: What’s been the biggest factor behind those extra three wins?
JD: It’s a weight of numbers thing in the AFL. You think about Chayce Jones, Lachie Sholl and Mitch Hinge – guys like them that were in and out of the team last year, but have been among our better players so far and are playing really important roles for us. For the older guys like myself and Lairdy, we know what we can do and just play our roles each week. So when those guys who were potentially on the fringe come in and play important roles, it helps the team and helps us win.

MT: How will the group handle the extra pressure that comes with being a finals contender in the back half of the season – something the club has not had under Matthew Nicks?
JD: We’ve been really consistent with the way we’ve reviewed games and gone into games with our game plan and opposition analysis. It’s been a credit to the coaches and that’s been a growth in their area. We just have to go week by week, be consistent in our approach and not listen to any external noise

MT: What’s it been like being the Crows’ captain?
JD: It’s been a range of things. Initially, it was pretty stressful. Like when I came over (back to SA from Sydney at the end of 2021), you don’t really know what to expect and there’s a bit of expectation but I’ve tried to stay unique, be myself and have my own identity on what a good captain is. I also want to learn and grow as well. I’m still figuring it out, but it’s been extremely enjoyable.

MT: You’ve had such a great season in the midfield. Why didn’t you play there last year?
JD: It was more of a team thing. This year down back we’ve got Josh Worrell, Hingey, Wayne Milera playing really good footy and my role was a bit of a mix of those guys. To see them come through gave me the ability to play up field. Then as well we have some similar guys in the middle with (Harry) Schoenberg, (Sam) Berry and Lairdy. They wanted me to be a more defensive mid – that’s where we felt we needed to sharpen up after the first two games. So it was a bit of a perfect storm.

MT: You’ve had statement wins at home this year. Why are you struggling on the road?
JD: We’re working on our ability to bring our own energy to away games because we’re a young group and we feed off the crowd at home, and opposition teams feed off their teams. We know the reality is we need to win away from home and this week there’s probably no bigger challenge than Collingwood at the MCG. We’re definitely setting our sights on going there to win.
MT: Can you elaborate on the feeding off the energy part.
JD: You have to increase your own ability to build energy as a group. To be fair, there’s a lot of guys who haven’t played many away games and a lot of guys who probably haven’t played at the MCG, so it’s about going to a foreign, hostile environment and lifting your energy compared to what you’re like at home, when you know the crowd’s going to be there. It’s a bit of a learning curve for guys but we have to help each other through that as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jordan Dawson - Our New Captain!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back