Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2016 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey knightmare out of curiosity whats up with this analysis of Richmond?
1. Quality youth - (Richmond have been competitive on the back of their 25-and-overs. They will need to draft very well over future seasons to not fall down to the bottom of the ladder over coming seasons)

2. Star power through midfield - (Dion Prestia is a good addition and Dustin Martin and Trent Cotchin are the driving forces through the midfield. More high-end midfielders will be required for Richmond to take the next step)

3. An immediate ruckman - (with Ivan Maric declining, Shaun Hampton ineffective around the ground and Ivan Soldo and Mabior Chol development projects, Richmond need another ruckman who can contribute now and potentially take over from Hampton as the club's best ruckman)

4. Young star key forward to succeed Jack Riewoldt - (with Riewoldt 28 and key forwards generally taking around four seasons to develop into consistent AFL standard performers, this year or next year is the time to find the next key forward to build around)

5. Quality young general defenders - (Richmond have some components down back but ultimately after Bachar Houli, 28, lack a second, high-quality small or medium defender)

Draft picks: 27, 56, 82, 100, 118, 136

Who should they draft?

Isaac Cumming from the GWS Academy would be a suitable list fit at No. 27 as a back flanker who can provide run from defence but also use the ball cleanly and make good decisions.

Richmond late in the national draft or in the rookie draft would also be advised to take one of Rowan Marshall, Darcy Cameron or Oscar McInerney to improve the club's ruck stocks.

You dont even acknowledge the additions of caddy as another midfielder and don't acknowledge nankervis either. Also in relation to small defenders yarran is on track to play. Also most teams need quality youth so the first point is kinda common sense.

KM, one you might not know heaps about - Lyndon Hupfeld (191cm, 92kg). Former GWS Academy but moved to SA in 2015. He was in the SA U18 squad this year but didn't play in the champs.

As far as his SANFL form is concerned, his numbers are better than any other SA prospect - played the full season as a KPF in Norwood's Reserves side and kicked 31 goals from 13 games (2x bags of four, 1x bag of six), and named in the best on five occasions.

Didn't get a combine invite and not being talked about as a draft chance. Why???

Outside of the academy and F/S picks could you guarantee/pencil in 3 picks right now? Seems as this is the most open draft ever and certain players have massive ranges.

If you had to pick 3 players getting to a certain club at a certain pick who would they be?
Would have to be the first three? McCluggage, McGrath, Ainsworth?

That would be our hope, We apparently rate him as high as the MCs.
if Setterfield is bid on and matched that's good for us. i couldn't see us knocking back whoever you guys didn't take out of McCluggage and McGrath. out of interest who are you tipping the bombers take at 1.

if Setterfield is bid on and matched that's good for us. i couldn't see us knocking back whoever you guys didn't take out of McCluggage and McGrath. out of interest who are you tipping the bombers take at 1.
If Setterfield is bid on at pick 1, whether he is matched or not, Brisbane will have access to at least on of McCluggage or McGrath.

age is reporting gws might lose picks 17 and 35 this draft due to Whitfield charge as everyone is plea bargaining. Meaning GWS will also be found guilty. Thats going to effect the draft. if GWS lose 2 picks and use all latter picks for points everyone moves seven placed up the order from about round 55

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knightmare I'm told there is some interest in a young SA forward Tom Charlton, originally from Pt. Lincoln and moved to Adelaide this year to play for the Norwood Colts, must admit it was a name I'd not heard before and all I can find is an SANFL video where he was a weekly MVP winner, looks good overhead and a decent kick....Any mail??

Have no feel for club interest.

Ok forward and has been decent in the SA U18s. Invited to state combine so is in the mix, though an outside chance to be picked.

Outside of the academy and F/S picks could you guarantee/pencil in 3 picks right now? Seems as this is the most open draft ever and certain players have massive ranges.

If you had to pick 3 players getting to a certain club at a certain pick who would they be?

1. Ess - McCluggage
2. GWS - McGrath
3. Bris - Ainsworth

are the easiest picks at this stage.

after that it's still unclear with some unpredictability possible. a club could go earlier than expected on someone, or someone may be available who wasn't expected to be there etc.

1. Ess - McCluggage
2. GWS - McGrath
3. Bris - Ainsworth

are the easiest picks at this stage.

after that it's still unclear with some unpredictability possible. a club could go earlier than expected on someone, or someone may be available who wasn't expected to be there etc.

How confident are you in those 3 selections % wise?

age is reporting gws might lose picks 17 and 35 this draft due to Whitfield charge as everyone is plea bargaining. Meaning GWS will also be found guilty. Thats going to effect the draft. if GWS lose 2 picks and use all latter picks for points everyone moves seven placed up the order from about round 55
GWS traded their first round pick to the Lions can't see them screwing us over twice we're set to lose Lambert for the year

Hey knightmare out of curiosity whats up with this analysis of Richmond?
1. Quality youth - (Richmond have been competitive on the back of their 25-and-overs. They will need to draft very well over future seasons to not fall down to the bottom of the ladder over coming seasons)

2. Star power through midfield - (Dion Prestia is a good addition and Dustin Martin and Trent Cotchin are the driving forces through the midfield. More high-end midfielders will be required for Richmond to take the next step)

3. An immediate ruckman - (with Ivan Maric declining, Shaun Hampton ineffective around the ground and Ivan Soldo and Mabior Chol development projects, Richmond need another ruckman who can contribute now and potentially take over from Hampton as the club's best ruckman)

4. Young star key forward to succeed Jack Riewoldt - (with Riewoldt 28 and key forwards generally taking around four seasons to develop into consistent AFL standard performers, this year or next year is the time to find the next key forward to build around)

5. Quality young general defenders - (Richmond have some components down back but ultimately after Bachar Houli, 28, lack a second, high-quality small or medium defender)

Draft picks: 27, 56, 82, 100, 118, 136

Who should they draft?

Isaac Cumming from the GWS Academy would be a suitable list fit at No. 27 as a back flanker who can provide run from defence but also use the ball cleanly and make good decisions.

Richmond late in the national draft or in the rookie draft would also be advised to take one of Rowan Marshall, Darcy Cameron or Oscar McInerney to improve the club's ruck stocks.

You dont even acknowledge the additions of caddy as another midfielder and don't acknowledge nankervis either. Also in relation to small defenders yarran is on track to play. Also most teams need quality youth so the first point is kinda common sense.

Nankervis is a good addition and can be a good ruckman. He has a shot at taking over. Forgot about him with Richmond not listing him on their website under players yet.

Caddy is a fine but only fine midfielder. Never had a 400 disposal season or 200+ contested possession season. Never had 100 clearances in a season. He can be a component but he isn't making Richmond's midfield much better as could be said of Prestia who is a really good mid.

In terms of talking quality youth. I mention that specifically in Richmond's case because Richmond lack a young core group that can be built around. The players who are built around at the clubs 25 and overs.

The best way to think of it is if you're to build a best 22 for Richmond containing players under the age of 25 only, after Prestia, maybe Ellis there is a very short list of players anyone would want in their best 22s if wanting to contend for a flag.

Richmond's under 25s overall are particularly poor with no worthwhile core group of those existing.

Any success Richmond have at the moment is predicated on the success of the clubs 25 and overs. Martin, Cotchin, Rance, Riewoldt. They're all stars. Houli is very good. Yarran can be when he hits some form etc.

It's a team list where with the better players 25+, I would be expecting a team contending for a flag - as per Hawthorn in recent years. Not a team looking likely to miss the top 8 again.

KM, one you might not know heaps about - Lyndon Hupfeld (191cm, 92kg). Former GWS Academy but moved to SA in 2015. He was in the SA U18 squad this year but didn't play in the champs.

As far as his SANFL form is concerned, his numbers are better than any other SA prospect - played the full season as a KPF in Norwood's Reserves side and kicked 31 goals from 13 games (2x bags of four, 1x bag of six), and named in the best on five occasions.

Didn't get a combine invite and not being talked about as a draft chance. Why???

Not one I know a lot about.

Have seen one or two of his games and he seemed solid enough up forward - able mark.

If he's 191cm height is likely a factor.

Reserves numbers are good.

Not informed enough on his situation as to why he isn't at least a state combine invite, but have to say I'm surprised also.

How confident are you in those 3 selections % wise?

90% on each of McCluggage, McGrath, Ainsworth.

Nankervis is a good addition and can be a good ruckman. He has a shot at taking over. Forgot about him with Richmond not listing him on their website under players yet.

Caddy is a fine but only fine midfielder. Never had a 400 disposal season or 200+ contested possession season. Never had 100 clearances in a season. He can be a component but he isn't making Richmond's midfield much better as could be said of Prestia who is a really good mid.

In terms of talking quality youth. I mention that specifically in Richmond's case because Richmond lack a young core group that can be built around. The players who are built around at the clubs 25 and overs.

The best way to think of it is if you're to build a best 22 for Richmond containing players under the age of 25 only, after Prestia, maybe Ellis there is a very short list of players anyone would want in their best 22s if wanting to contend for a flag.

Richmond's under 25s overall are particularly poor with no worthwhile core group of those existing.

Any success Richmond have at the moment is predicated on the success of the clubs 25 and overs. Martin, Cotchin, Rance, Riewoldt. They're all stars. Houli is very good. Yarran can be when he hits some form etc.

It's a team list where with the better players 25+, I would be expecting a team contending for a flag - as per Hawthorn in recent years. Not a team looking likely to miss the top 8 again.

Not one I know a lot about.

Have seen one or two of his games and he seemed solid enough up forward - able mark.

If he's 191cm height is likely a factor.

Reserves numbers are good.

Not informed enough on his situation as to why he isn't at least a state combine invite, but have to say I'm surprised also.

90% on each of McCluggage, McGrath, Ainsworth.

Thanks mate. And can I get your thoughts on Mitch Carter? Got a state combine invite so you'd think he's a chance.

Thanks mate. And can I get your thoughts on Mitch Carter? Got a state combine invite so you'd think he's a chance.

Carter is ok. Capable at both ends. Can take a grab overhead. Worth consideration late/rookie.

Probably against the odds to be chosen, not receiving much of a mentioned to date. But have liked his play in SANFL Reserves.

GWS traded their first round pick to the Lions can't see them screwing us over twice we're set to lose Lambert for the year

No they didn't, they traded us Fremantle's pick 3 and Geelong's pick 16. GWS's first round pick is 15.

Im worried about Scrimshaw as a top 10 pick, would you be?

I am concerned.

For me very boom or bust.

Has some terrific attributes and tricks but lacks a clear best position and is not a natural contested ball winner.

I never quite understand final standings when it comes to draft time with Bulldogs winning the Grand final you would think GWS would've finished 3rd but okay

Geelong finished above GWS at the end of the regular season, so when they both got knocked out at the same stage Geelong gets placed higher on the final ladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back