Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2017 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be answering those questions in my phantom draft, with two rounds coming next week.

Early guesses without much thought we might see something like LDU, Rayner and Dow top 3.

Carlton with at least one of 10/30 would make sense to go tall.
Unless there's someone who's too good to pass up I find it very doubtful indeed that Carlton selects a tall at 10 or 30. The possible exception is a ruckman.

Our list is unbalanced with talls as it is.

Where do you see Tim Kelly landing in this draft? Any clubs that you've heard have interest and at what round? Cheers.

I believe WCE will use pick 26 on him if we dont use 26 on him
Carlton will use pick 30 on him.
I believe part of the reason WCE traded 2018 first rounder was for extra second round picks to make sure Tim Kelly is secured

I believe WCE will use pick 26 on him if we dont use 26 on him
Carlton will use pick 30 on him.
I believe part of the reason WCE traded 2018 first rounder was for extra second round picks to make sure Tim Kelly is secured

His highlights package is certainly impressive. I wouldn't be completely surprised to see Wells reach at 24. He would add some outside run and goal kicking power that we'll lose with Motlop's departure.

Hi KM

The doggies have 9 and 16 which should get us 2 good players. Who do you see as 2 good options for us that should be available at
around these picks. I personally think we need some speed with maybe a young midfielder and a natural small/medium forward

Hey KM. I’m sure you will get bombarded with these questions for all clubs but who do you think the Pies should look at with their draft selections?

Also in his interview on Collingwoodfc.com.au and Herald Sun website Derek Hine mentioned that we will have an academy player (who I think is Liam Holt-Fitz) and a potential father son in Will Kelly (son of Craig) next year. I know this is a year out but do you have any early info about these players?

Last edited:
Watched some highlights of next year's draft due to how our trade period eventuated. Izak Rankine is the closest thing I've seen to Ablett Jnr in all my time watching under 18 football. Was mesmerised watching him. Would love to have the right pick to get him next year. Is going to be a top 5 in the comp midfielder. I'll eat Andrew Walker's hat if I'm wrong.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi KM

The doggies have 9 and 16 which should get us 2 good players. Who do you see as 2 good options for us that should be available at
around these picks. I personally think we need some speed with maybe a young midfielder and a natural small/medium forward
Higgins and Bonar IMO

Hey Knightmare, like many on here, really appreciate your tireless work!

Couldn't help but think of a mantra of yours as the Weller, Murray and a few other trades came through that picks are generally severely overvalued by clubs. Obviously trades are always circumstantial, and there's an argument that that is the case here, but does this trade period at all represent an acknowledgement of how speculative/over-valued picks can be? Or is it primarily due to specific club factors and this draft being deemed as weak?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey KM,

Great analysis this year so far, I enjoy your write-ups.

Who do you see as the likely selections for the Cats this draft with Picks 22, 24, 35, 58?

Finally we have some half-decent picks for a change. I kind of like Garner, Balta, Wooller, Miers, B Daniels, Tim Kelly (WAFL).

I see the Cats needing the following for the list:

1. Small/Medium Forward,
2. Centre Half Forward,
3. Key Defender,
4. Small/Medium Defender/Midfielder.

Toby Wooller would fit as a CHF. On the short side, but physically and his game is very advanced. Also capable as a mid.

Plenty of key defenders. Harry Petty is just one name.

Matthew Ling as a running defender (Geelong Falcons) in that range is worth a shot.

Small/medium forwards can always be had later.

Hey km port commited to upgrading houstan and im 99% certain lienert aswell. Rumoured to be going after dfas most likely thomas and brooksby and then state leaguers aftter that. Weve been linked specifically to bailey banfield on the afl website could u please give me strengths and weaknesses along with possible mature agers around our mark? Also who is the luke ryan like bolter this year and would he be avliabke around then?

Banfield is a solid mid. Tall, contested ball winner, good tackler and high level accumulator. Needs to do more forward of centre, not high hurt factor, can add more tricks.

Tim Kelly of the mature agers is the possible bolter.

So let’s say someone bids at 16 what happens to our picks?

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/Father-son-bidding-system.pdf

Brilliant again KM. What do you see Melbourne doing with their 4 picks?

Likely look at some pace would be my top of mind thought.

Will in my upcoming phantom draft link some players to each side.

Unless there's someone who's too good to pass up I find it very doubtful indeed that Carlton selects a tall at 10 or 30. The possible exception is a ruckman.

Our list is unbalanced with talls as it is.

Key defence definitely not a need but a key forward I wouldn't discount in a year loaded with talls.

Always lots of mids to take and general forwards that can be added.

Hi KM

Noah Balta could add excitement and pace with one of those selections as a tall who can play anywhere.

Aiden Bonar, Jack Higgins, Lochie O'Brien are a few I can see considered.

Your opinion on whos going to Swans at pick 14? Its a lottery for mine.

Jarrod Brander and Lochie O'Brien are two among a group I'm considering slotting into Sydney's pick for my phantom draft next week to give you a couple of names to think about.

Hey KM. I’m sure you will get bombarded with these questions for all clubs but who do you think the Pies should look at with their draft selections?

Also in his interview on Collingwoodfc.com.au and Herald Sun website Derek Hine mentioned that we will have an academy player (who I think is Liam Holt-Fitz) and a potential father son in Will Kelly (son of Craig) next year. I know this is a year out but do you have any early info about these players?

Holt-Fitz I don't know much about as he has been playing u16s, but reviews are that he's a good talent from the NT for next years draft who is worth watching closely.

Will Kelly has only played the one TAC Cup game this year for Oakleigh and did very little. He's still a developing player and one next year to track the development of. He's not a top prospect at this stage.

Hey KM,

Do you believe pineapple on pizza is a good or bad thing?

Pineapple on pizza is not a good thing.

Hey Knightmare, like many on here, really appreciate your tireless work!

Couldn't help but think of a mantra of yours as the Weller, Murray and a few other trades came through that picks are generally severely overvalued by clubs. Obviously trades are always circumstantial, and there's an argument that that is the case here, but does this trade period at all represent an acknowledgement of how speculative/over-valued picks can be? Or is it primarily due to specific club factors and this draft being deemed as weak?

A great question.

That Weller trade was a shocker and a rare exception to the rule. Weller while good, he's not someone I'd take ahead of Rayner, LDU, Cerra or Dow this year. Those guys can be out and out stars of the game. Pick 5/6 is what should have been paid for Weller.

On the other side of things, I can look at Jake Stringer and Matthew Kennedy as among the absolute bargain selections I look at with just as much if not more shock.

This trade period I feel overall is a step towards a better understanding from clubs as to the proper worth of trades, but looking through all the trades there is only the Weller trade, one other slight overpaying for a play, then the two bargains, and still another group of 3-4 others who were had a fair bit cheaper than they in my mind anyway should be worth.

Hey Knightmare who do you reckon is the best fit for Carlton at pick 10

If it's me, it's Noah Balta as a key forward, not rating Carlton's key forwards.

More realistically though, a midfielder I feel is likely, and probably someone who provides contrast to Cripps and Kennedy as two bigger ball winners. Nick Coffield may be one example as a more silky style mid/defender.

I don't know how you have Nicholas Coffield as an back flank/inside mid and plays like James Kelly?

To me he's most definitely a back flank/outside mid/winger and plays like Hamish Hartlett.

I'd agree with you on that one.

Kelly is more who I hope Coffield can become, with my hope being that he develops into more of an inside mid as he played during his last game. Until then, he is more of a Hartlett in the way he plays.

KM, what range does Lochie O'Brien sit in this draft?

Somewhere around 15 is my feel at the moment.

Key defence definitely not a need but a key forward I wouldn't discount in a year loaded with talls.

Always lots of mids to take and general forwards that can be added.
Charlie Curnow, Harry McKay, Jack Silvagni, Patrick Kerr are all developing key forwards. Weitering can play forward. Macreadie has spent time forward. That's not even mentioning Casboult.

I think that's enough for now to be honest.

Charlie Curnow, Harry McKay, Jack Silvagni, Patrick Kerr are all developing key forwards. Weitering can play forward. Macreadie has spent time forward. That's not even mentioning Casboult.

I think that's enough for now to be honest.

add ben silvagni to that list in 12 months time

Hi KM, very pleased with Jarrod Berry's output this season, he definitely has the tank to be that big inside mid beast that we need and that appears to be what we are grooming him for ie. a Josh Kennedy (Swans) type.

Taking into account Berry's form this year how do you compare him to Aiden Bonar re style of play and potential ceiling when they reach their peak.

Hi KM, very pleased with Jarrod Berry's output this season, he definitely has the tank to be that big inside mid beast that we need and that appears to be what we are grooming him for ie. a Josh Kennedy (Swans) type.

Taking into account Berry's form this year how do you compare him to Aiden Bonar re style of play and potential ceiling when they reach their peak.

A club will be taking a similar bet with Bonar as was made with Berry last year by Brisbane.

I haven't seen as much impact from Bonar per possession and don't expect him to have the same ball winning capabilities. He'll take longer term type, likely starting forward and if things go right, then getting midfield chances in a few years. He isn't as ready to impact, though Berry didn't look ready himself this time last year. Development can and sometimes does happen over the offseason which is a variable last year showed us, you can't always calculate for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back