Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2017 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interested in yours and others thoughts on a collection of possibles at our picks

Ross, Ballard , north , Paton , smusch, walker , mynott , Farrell , Krueger , sambono Taylor clavarino.

Are they available at ports picks? Worth a punt?

If we could get four of those boys I would be happy.

I'll have to go back and find vision but north is a huge ball magnet and I love players who have very high production as juniors when it does translate it translates super well.

Patons speed interests me, Farrells leg , walkers upside , sambonos upside.

I'm very interested in Dixon and dekoning but only as rookies. Don't really want them on the main list. Smusch I'm unsure of as well.

I want future best 22 players , not depth players because people thought we lost some depth. We brought in 3 first 22 players and have really excellent prospects in bonner atley drew lienert Johnson etc who will be fighting to get into the side and can step in if needed.

Knightmare who do you see us taking with 19? Hoping for a slider. Would like a contested type midfielder with upside.

Also is Bonar any chance of being available?

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hard to know who will be available outside the top 10.

Aaron Naughton if there may be one West Coast are drawn to as a local talent with strong performances on the board if he slides.

Lochie O'Brien also I see as a strong possibility if there, with West Coast liking those who performed as underagers and O'Brien being rated by most coming into the season as a top 5 talent, before carrying niggles through this year.

Does no harm to his draft chances. He's in the mix for selection in the latter half of the draft.

Hard to see anyone going earlier. Maybe a club falls in love with Stephenson, Cerra or Fogarty and feel compelled to go really early on one of them? It doesn't yet feel that way though until there is a rumour coming out of a club with a top three choice that they're looking at someone else.

A good comparison for Rozee. Serious talent. So dangerous as a forward but very capable as a mid.

It's a much better group from SA in 2018!

I and every Eagles supporter will be stunned if we go with Naughton at 13. Bordering on a riot. The club has said its looking at mids and forwards, leg speed. Why would they use their top pick on the strongest area of their list?

Id be happy for pick 32 or 37 to be used on either Ben Miller or a ruck forward who has slid.

I and every Eagles supporter will be stunned if we go with Naughton at 13. Bordering on a riot. The club has said its looking at mids and forwards, leg speed. Why would they use their top pick on the strongest area of their list?

One thing I think both Eagles and Dockers fans can probably unite in. Please no KPDs high up.

Hi KM, how do you think the top 5 looks to be shaping up? As a Freo supporter it's very exciting potentially getting two of Rayner, LDU, Dow, Cerra and Stephenson. Brad Lloyd has said he thinks there are 5 or 6 standouts in the draft.

Is there anyone else you think may break into the top 5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interested in yours and others thoughts on a collection of possibles at our picks

Ross, Ballard , north , Paton , smusch, walker , mynott , Farrell , Krueger , sambono Taylor clavarino.

Are they available at ports picks? Worth a punt?

If we could get four of those boys I would be happy.

I'll have to go back and find vision but north is a huge ball magnet and I love players who have very high production as juniors when it does translate it translates super well.

Patons speed interests me, Farrells leg , walkers upside , sambonos upside.

I'm very interested in Dixon and dekoning but only as rookies. Don't really want them on the main list. Smusch I'm unsure of as well.

I want future best 22 players , not depth players because people thought we lost some depth. We brought in 3 first 22 players and have really excellent prospects in bonner atley drew lienert Johnson etc who will be fighting to get into the side and can step in if needed.

Of those, as it's a long list. Ballard intrigues me but probably isn't available to Port, he could be a first round smokie. Ross may go around Port's choice or just before. Taylor and Clavarino may also go around Port's choice or just before. The others probably are there.

Of those others you list, Paton would be the one I'd be more confident in as a back flanker. Sambono maybe as a pressure forward, though he isn't a round one lock and load type.

Knightmare who do you see us taking with 19? Hoping for a slider. Would like a contested type midfielder with upside.

Also is Bonar any chance of being available?

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Gold Coast may go for a slider if there is someone notable. Otherwise I wouldn't be surprised to see a KPP added with a few good value talls set to go around that point and Gold Coast's depth low.

Can't see Bonar being there.

Oscar Allen might be one to consider as a key forward around that range.

Knightmare,

You are GWS Recruitment MGR for this years draft. Who do you take with our first 3 selections?

Any chance Coffield gets to 11?

Coffield is probably gone by 11.

GWS probably need a draft along the lines of Jack Higgins, Callum Coleman-Jones and some running back flanker (eg. Matthew Ling/Ed Richards) to address small forward, ruck and running defence needs.

Id be happy for pick 32 or 37 to be used on either Ben Miller or a ruck forward who has slid.

You probably won't need to concern yourself about Naughton at 13. He may go top 5.

Hi KM, how do you think the top 5 looks to be shaping up? As a Freo supporter it's very exciting potentially getting two of Rayner, LDU, Dow, Cerra and Stephenson. Brad Lloyd has said he thinks there are 5 or 6 standouts in the draft.

Is there anyone else you think may break into the top 5?

I see four of Rayner, Ldu, Dow, Cerra and Stephenson going with maybe Naughton at pick 5.

KM i would suggest that now the trade period is done movements in players and pick would effect club strategy come draft day. Especially clubs like Essendon, BullDogs, Eagles and Freo.

Any thoughts on this?

Absolutely. Some clubs resolve some list needs. Other clubs have new needs forming or other needs not properly addressed through the trade period.

There is still delisted free agents who may be able to sign and fill a hole with a club or two, but things should become clearer from here as to what clubs are going to look for through the draft.

Hey km, now the draft order is finalised, who do you see picking up Liam Ryan? Any interest outside of WA?

Hey km, now the draft order is finalised, who do you see picking up Liam Ryan? Any interest outside of WA?

There is speculation around Liam Ryan as a possible late draft choice.

He's in the mix for a few clubs looking for a general forward.

Hawthorn are one club outside WA to watch who may take him. They like their mature agers and coming into the draft late may have to look to Ryan for some late draft value.

Hey KM, if freo and cwood go naughton/brander or naughton/coffield at 5 and 6, who of cerra or Stephenson is more likely to slide to the saints at 7? Do you think this is a realistic chance?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Cerra goes pick 4 to North.

Stephenson is the more likely to get through to the Saints, though Fremantle and Collingwood may consider, if North overlook.
Would saints be certain to take him if he slides? Big question marks over his ball use for mine, saints need to target reliable kicks.

I think Cerra goes pick 4 to North.

Stephenson is the more likely to get through to the Saints, though Fremantle and Collingwood may consider, if North overlook.

We are no chance to take Stephenson.

Kicking skills priority at St.Kilda hence the appointment of kicking coach

Get on the Bonar / OBrien train

Hawthorn are one club outside WA to watch who may take him. They like their mature agers and coming into the draft late may have to look to Ryan for some late draft value.

Hey KM few questions.
Based on Blues recent trading.

Question 1, at this point now based on what you think the draft pans out like. Who do Blues take with Picks #3 & #10?

Question 2, Blues have traded ahead to get father son picks for 2018 draft.
What Picks in your opinion do you value
Ben Silvagni, Will Hickmott & Oskar Manton?

Would saints be certain to take him if he slides? Big question marks over his ball use for mine, saints need to target reliable kicks.

I'd feel likely Stephenson would be the choice.

He's viewed by some as a top 2 or 3 choice.

Hey KM few questions.
Based on Blues recent trading.

Question 1, at this point now based on what you think the draft pans out like. Who do Blues take with Picks #3 & #10?

Question 2, Blues have traded ahead to get father son picks for 2018 draft.
What Picks in your opinion do you value
Ben Silvagni, Will Hickmott & Oskar Manton?

Pick 3 - the available of Rayner/LDU/Dow. To guess today, that may be Rayner.
Pick 10 - best available mid.

Silvagni has only played school footy, no TAC Cup, so it's unclear where he sits at this stage. He's taller than Jack from what I understand and he appears draftable without looking at this stage like an early pick.

Will Hickmott has been consistent in the WAFL colts, finding the footy through the midfield. Don't know if he has an x-factor, assuming not, he looks a mid-late draft choice.

Manton played just the four TAC Cup games for Western. Doesn't yet appear like someone I'd be picking, but with another year he may well improve and look the part.

The disclaimer is a lot happens in 12 months, so things will probably change 100 times with the three potential future picks as we see more of them in 2018.

Km who do you think the pies will take at 6? And do you think the dockers will go tall at 5?

Really hoping a good mid slides to 7 or 8 but also like Coffield, who i keep hearing the pies are very keen on.

Also if selecting Bonar or Fogarty, what is the earliest you would take a stab?

I would hate for us to pass on Stephenson and get Naughton. As we have Hamling, Alex Pearce, Logue and Cox if needed, think we may look to midfielders.

We look far more dangerous with Fyfe up forward but if he isn't in the centre square we get smashed. Only really leaves Neale, Blakely and a retiring Mundy that play the position well. With also now losing Weller, I think we will pick up best available for both picks ie 2 midfielders.

Having closely listened to Brad Lloyd speak, I think he has dismissed any chance of getting Naughton and hinted that we rate 5 midfielders at the top of the draft and we will pick 2 of them.

KM any reason why Lachlan Pascoe (SA) has completely dropped off the draft radar? He made his SANFL league debut at 16 and has been outstanding in the reserves this year. Didn't even get a state combine invite?!

Km who do you think the pies will take at 6? And do you think the dockers will go tall at 5?

Really hoping a good mid slides to 7 or 8 but also like Coffield, who i keep hearing the pies are very keen on.

Also if selecting Bonar or Fogarty, what is the earliest you would take a stab?

Without hearing any inside word to confirm this thought, I can see the Pies looking at Darcy Fogarty at 6. They need a key forward, and I expect they'll be turned off by the performances of Brander who drops too many marks. He feels like the logical choice.

Dockers probably go with the best player there. Naughton has been connected to Fremantle, but Stephenson is one I could see the Dockers going for after taking best available at 2.

Bonar/Fogarty could go as high as pick 5. It all comes down to evaluation of upside at the end of the day. Either could be considered by someone as having the scope to be the best in the draft, so views with both will be very different from club to club.

I would hate for us to pass on Stephenson and get Naughton. As we have Hamling, Alex Pearce, Logue and Cox if needed, think we may look to midfielders.

We look far more dangerous with Fyfe up forward but if he isn't in the centre square we get smashed. Only really leaves Neale, Blakely and a retiring Mundy that play the position well. With also now losing Weller, I think we will pick up best available for both picks ie 2 midfielders.

Having closely listened to Brad Lloyd speak, I think he has dismissed any chance of getting Naughton and hinted that we rate 5 midfielders at the top of the draft and we will pick 2 of them.

Totally agree. Freo used their first last year on Lougue who is a pretty flexible tall but touted mainly as a kp defender. Massive call to use a first two years in a row on the same position even if you have two top five picks this year.

My call for Freo is one of the top mids and pick 5 D Fogarty who can play forward and mid, very similar to Pavlich early in his career.

Naughton I see going to the Crows as a Lever replacement at 12. Possibly Carlton at 10. Do the Saints need a quality kp defender with two picks available, one on Brayshaw and the other on a tall?

As normal there is IMO a bit of unearned hype on Ryan from the WA club supporters. They have seen him do some amazing things playing WAFL and his highlight reel is seriously good. He really cut up the Eagles defenders playing for East Perth in one game (Schofield and Nelson).

But his defensive game is poor, he was very quite in the GF loss when Freo's AFL defenders applied physical pressure. Has been said that he has missed training sessions both for Subi and the WA state team. Major question marks over is commitment to doing what is needed to play at the top level.

A lot of Eagles supporters want him taken at 32 or 37 but I think there are simply too many better options available at those picks. Worpel, Ben Miller, possibly Meirs at 32, a ruck who has slid, Zac Bailey, Spargo, Moore.......

I'd take him at 69 or as a rookie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back