Leigh Matthews on Tom Boyd and the Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

He will be in 2 years and for a long time after that.
What makes you so certain mate? Went to the game last week againts WC, And nab cup game before that, he doesn't seem to have much pace really and dropped a couple easy ones. Does make a lot of contests though

Dogs fans taking it a bit to heart.

Brisbane fans swarming just to defend one of their own.

Why does it matter what players are getting paid?

I hope Brisbane aren't about to offer someone undeserving like jake Carlisle big money to be their forward saviour

What makes you so certain mate? Went to the game last week againts WC, And nab cup game before that, he doesn't seem to have much pace really and dropped a couple easy ones. Does make a lot of contests though
Faith, I guess.

We all know what he did at juniour level. It will take 1-2-3 years but he will be a star of the competition. And that's what makes Doggies 7 year offer so good. When he does adapt to AFL level, he'll be dominating for at least 4 more years in Footscray colours.

Brisbane fans swarming just to defend one of their own.

Why does it matter what players are getting paid?

I hope Brisbane aren't about to offer someone undeserving like jake Carlisle big money to be their forward saviour

Swarming? Please.
Objectively I agree with what Mattews is saying, how he may have said it is another matter. In fact, how he said it is whats making the Dogs fans blood boil.

Carlisle wouldn't be undeserving of a decent pay package from the Lions, by decent I don't mean ridiculous Boyd money.

This roots of this trade began well before the dogs had any interest in Boyd.

The inclusion of GC and GWS into the system established drafts that left the bulldogs no chance of landing a decent young KPP. Instead much of that talent went to the new clubs at a time the Bulldogs were sinking and in need of an injection of talented youth.

The dogs needed to address their KPP issues, and had been planning to land Boyd at the end of 2015. The opportunity arose after Griffin's melt down and they pulled the trigger and got their man, blindsiding all other players in the market. Great strategic play and they moved quickly to make it happen.

There are many variables that played out for this to occur and it started the day the AFL decided to add the two new teams.

In all it was a perfect storm but something i can't see happen too many times going forward so old man Matthews can rest easy

Faith, I guess.

We all know what he did at juniour level. It will take 1-2-3 years but he will be a star of the competition. And that's what makes Doggies 7 year offer so good. When he does adapt to AFL level, he'll be dominating for at least 4 more years in Footscray colours.

He only lasted 1 of 2 years at the Giants. Why might he not walk out on the Doggies in year 4 after kicking a ton of goals and some club is in his ear offering $1.5 million a year for, say, 7 years.

He only lasted 1 of 2 years at the Giants. Why might he not walk out on the Doggies in year 4 after kicking a ton of goals and some club is in his ear offering $1.5 million a year for, say, 7 years.
Imagine the compensation the Dogs will receive if he does that.

So we will get another sides captain and best player as well as a great pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I look at it as similar to when Brisbane went after Fevola, even though that was a spectacular failure in just about every way imaginable. He was a risk, everyone knew he was a risk. And with Bradshaw/Brown in place alongside a developing list, Brisbane would probably have been good for the lower half of the finals for the next five or so years. But they decided that they wanted to aim higher than that and even though it didn't work, I applaud them for having a crack and not accepting mid-table anonymity.

It has absolutely no comparison at all to Brisbane, who over rated their list and thought Fev was the missing piece. We are looking long term in the future collecting the pieces we need for an even team we will have for our next challenge. Boyd has played 10 games, I am happy with his progress and I am confident that when he. Reaches his 100 games he will be holding his own in the foreword line.

Is the lesson go blow 7 million dollars on a kid that has only played 9 games? While in those 9 games kicked 8 goals and averaged 6 disposals?

Liam was only a 3rd rd pick and Levi no way even on a fraction of that money, if Blues pulled off a deal like that I'd be questioning the boards decision. I like Tom but don't think he has earned that kind of contract unlike Jeremy at GWS

Continue doing what you've been doing.

Happy 20th anniversary.

It has absolutely no comparison at all to Brisbane, who over rated their list and thought Fev was the missing piece. We are looking long term in the future collecting the pieces we need for an even team we will have for our next challenge. Boyd has played 10 games, I am happy with his progress and I am confident that when he. Reaches his 100 games he will be holding his own in the foreword line.

It has a comparison to Brisbane in that both teams are putting their chips in the middle with a high risk/high yield venture.

I'm not making any statement on whether Boyd will be a success or otherwise, though personally I think there's every reason to be optimistic.

Exactly what I was thinking. Bulldogs establishing a dangerous precedent. Congratulations to the doggies but I was always of the understanding only fools pay for potential

I think Leigh's reached a stage where his opinions still make sense but he's struggling to articulate them.

Watching today's game he said 3rd man up jumpers in the ruck should be allowed to be blocked and I thought yeah, that's so true. Each team has a ruckman, that's their unique job in footy, if a guy is going third man up then why not let another player if smart and disciplined enough use their body to block them so their ruck doesn't become redundant and possibly get jumped on. A pretty simple easy rule change that doesn't hurt anyone except maybe a few taller midfielders hit out stats and keeps rucking as such a unique skill to AFL. But Leigh's fellow commentators didn't seem to get a hold of what he was saying.

In this case I really doubt he would be so vindictive as to want Boyd to fail, but he's said it in such a stupid way.

Personally what I hope comes of the Boyd situation is that draftees (and particularly first round picks) are given longer contracts so that teams aren't stuck paying so much for potential. I also wonder if earlier free agency would've hurt or helped the dogs. It might've helped. Given how much they gave up the Dogs must really rate Boyd and so they should, he's a gun. But really what they wanted was gun young forward. I'm not saying they'd give the same deal or same trade but more than likely if could've been any 1 of a few out of Daniher, Hogan, McCartin, Cameron, Patton (if fit) maybe even McCarthy, Lynch, Dixon, Peter Wright etc. The Griffen deal and circumstance tipped them in to making the play for Boyd and he's good enough for the picks and cash.

These big young forwards work their butts off, carry a heap of expectation and for that physical and mental effort and for the resultant reward when they play well in a game of footy they deserve big wages. But the dogs asking price was heavily weighted by limited supply and difficult access not just their demand. More player movement might open up the access to supply and locked in 4 year draft deals would at least temper the wages until most are ready to deliver.

I don't get the big deal(no pun intended) about Boyd going to the dogs. They lost Griffen who is an A grade midfielder plus pick 6. Yeah Boyd is on mega bucks but what did you expect them to offer him? They aren't a Hawthorn where players are super keen to join they had to make it worth his while. They signed him up on a long term deal hoping to build a side around him. It is a risk but what other options did they have?

Reckon Jeremy McGovern wants to play on Boyd every week. 26 possessions and 12 marks is a fair effort for a full back.

Anyway I query whether Boyd has enough pace to be an elite power forward - Can be improved by hiring a sprinting coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Leigh Matthews on Tom Boyd and the Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back