Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol those scores, winning teams 150+ and losing teams 70 at minimum

Port led by 15 points at half time and kicked 19 goals in the second half to win by 102. That year was just insane.

The accuracy seemed to improve as well.

Has Port ever been a reliably accurate team?

We've had some of the best kicks for goal I've ever seen, Cunningham, Evans, Hodges and some not so reliable. Nothing that stood out for me anyway in terms of our accuracy.

But we kept winning premierships and finishing top 3, we didn't worry so much about accuracy back then. I still remember trouncing Norwood in a round 22 game at Football park, 16.23 to 12.1. We couldn't kick for shit, still broke 100 points and won running away.

I thought this was quite interesting. This guy does quite a lot of work looking at kick quality and shot quality. To me it seems to imply that not only are we a shit kicking team, we also generate a heap of shit shots. We are 2x shit.

In this table he has the shot rating for players with the top 50 shots in the AFL. The shot rating is essentially a reflection of how well a player kicks compared to expectation. Shot rating above 0 -> better than the average player in the AFL, below 0 -> worse than the average player.

We have 4 players in the top 50 shots and all 4 fall in the bottom 50% of the list. Finlayson is in fact so bad that he is kicking below expectation i.e. he is a worse kick at goal than the average AFL player. For a player who came to the club as a statistically anomalous good kick, it is pretty sad what we have turned him into.

If we kicked at expectation we probably win a few more games, and have a much better percentage.

He also has this chart. This chart shows the average expected score generated per kick at goal for both set shots at general play by team. Effectively it is saying how easy are the shots you are generating.

We are in the bottom left of the chart - so we have low expected score from both general play and set shots. So we generate shitty shots across both categories.

Last edited:
I thought this was quite interesting. This guy does quite a lot of work looking at kick quality and shot quality. To me it seems to imply that not only are we a s**t kicking team, we also generate a heap of s**t shots. We are 2x s**t.

In this table he has the shot rating for players with the top 50 shots in the AFL. The shot rating is essentially a reflection of how well a player kicks compared to expectation. Shot rating above 1 -> better than the average player in the AFL, below 1 -> worse than the average player.

We have 4 players in the top 50 shots and all 4 fall in the bottom 50% of the list. Finlayson is in fact so bad that he is kicking below expectation i.e. he is a worse kick at goal than the average AFL player. For a player who came to the club as a statistically anomalous good kick, it is pretty sad what we have turned him into.

If we kicked at expectation we probably win a few more games, and have a much better percentage.

He also has this chart. This chart shows the average expected score generated per kick at goal for both set shots at general play by team. Effectively it is saying how easy are the shots you are generating.

We are in the bottom left of the chart - so we have low expected score from both general play and set shots. So we generate shitty shots across both categories.

Tldr sack hinkley im guessing.

I thought this was quite interesting. This guy does quite a lot of work looking at kick quality and shot quality. To me it seems to imply that not only are we a s**t kicking team, we also generate a heap of s**t shots. We are 2x s**t.

In this table he has the shot rating for players with the top 50 shots in the AFL. The shot rating is essentially a reflection of how well a player kicks compared to expectation. Shot rating above 1 -> better than the average player in the AFL, below 1 -> worse than the average player.

So of the top 50 players for shots on goal only one kicks above the AFL average.

To me that screams out the data needs to be drilled in to another layers or two. Possibly a result of midfielders only taking shots in they are a high chance to get it but forwards are instructed to just have a ping

So of the top 50 players for shots on goal only one kicks above the AFL average.

To me that screams out the data needs to be drilled in to another layers or two. Possibly a result of midfielders only taking shots in they are a high chance to get it but forwards are instructed to just have a ping
My bad, it's actually shot rating above 0 -> better than the average player in the AFL, below 0 -> worse than the average player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In this table he has the shot rating for players with the top 50 shots in the AFL. The shot rating is essentially a reflection of how well a player kicks compared to expectation. Shot rating above 0 -> better than the average player in the AFL, below 0 -> worse than the average player.

Figures don't surprise and if anything I'm glad they actually call out Marshall's over rated set shot performance.

What I would give for us to have some dead eye forwards.

I’m sick of Koch spinning the youngest team s**t likes it’s a badge of honour.

i swear he was doing the "best u23s list in the comp" thing in 2014, he really is the king of bullshit. the sad thing is he will always be able to string along 30,000 theatregoers with the exact same thing year in year out, for everyone that catches onto the repetition there is someone there to take their place, they'll never really lose out with membership numbers, financially etc.

i swear he was doing the "best u23s list in the comp" thing in 2014, he really is the king of bullshit. the sad thing is he will always be able to string along 30,000 theatregoers with the exact same thing year in year out, for everyone that catches onto the repetition there is someone there to take their place, they'll never really lose out with membership numbers, financially etc.
Shouldn’t it be embarrassing we’ve been the youngest list category for a decade? It means we haven’t developed a consistent team

Roger Kerr on Port Adelaide

"It's a family," says Kerr. "And once you are part of Port Adelaide, you are Port Adelaide forever.

"I have been part of two famous clubs," adds the Calcutta-born Kerr who started his league football journey at East Fremantle after realising his Indian roots did not take to cricket.

"I had just one year at Port Adelaide - and eight at East Fremantle - and I am made to feel more at home at Port Adelaide. You are never forgotten. That is one year I hold dearly in my heart. That is what the club means to me."

How proud can you be: Roger Kerr's delight in daughter's international stardom

15 minutes from the the start of the 3rd quarter, Port v Centrals. Some great names, fast attacking play, big crowd, precision kicks and even a couple of barrels.

I’m sick of Koch spinning the youngest team s**t likes it’s a badge of honour.

Average age of the fielded team in and around 13 August (the date of our last game):

2023 — 24y 313d
2022 — 25y 6d
2021 — 25y 219d
2020 — 25y 293d
2019 — 25y 361d
2018 — 26y 24d
2017 — 24y 328d
2016 — 24y 185d
2015 — 24y 337d
2014 — 24y 226d
2013 — 24y 11d

🤷‍♀️

Clearly you are playing tricks and have this replay on a multiple speed setting because the game in its current form has never been better!

I know, fast movement from end to end, actual one-on-one defending, shepherding ( some younger readers may not know what this is), open play and goal scoring ... this is clearly a deep fake.

Clearly you are playing tricks and have this replay on a multiple speed setting because the game in its current form has never been better!
Any shepherd these days and the opponents fakes a hit to the head and squeals like a soccer player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back