Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeez listening to Chris McDermott just now at the HoF about the bloodbaths he played in against Port Adelaide and how ruthless we were... Makes me sad and mad how far we've fallen as a club.

Seriously I could bloody spew up
Saw that Ray Huppatz and Martin Leslie got a shoutout.

It's a while ago now, but my first inkling the club was on the verge of becoming an absolute shit show was when I joined the `True Believers!'

It was back when they were desperate for funds, so I signed up for $50 per month to be taken directly from my bank a/c.
The first $50 was taken and I was sent a club magazine with my name and numerous other `True Believers' on what was a fairly long list, and I still have that mag somewhere.

The 2nd month nothing happened so I rang the club and the bloke I spoke to apologised for the oversight he checked all the details they had on file, which were correct, and he then asked me if it was ok for two payments to be taken out the next month, which I was fine with.

That next month nothing happened again, so another phone call for another apology (from a female this time) and the promise to sort it out, but you guessed it nothing happened in the 3rd month either, so I thought what's the f****** point!

It's a while ago now, but my first inkling the club was on the verge of becoming an absolute shit show was when I joined the `True Believers!'

It was back when they were desperate for funds, so I signed up for $50 per month to be taken directly from my bank a/c.
The first $50 was taken and I was sent a club magazine with my name and numerous other `True Believers' on what was a fairly long list, and I still have that mag somewhere.

The 2nd month nothing happened so I rang the club and the bloke I spoke to apologised for the oversight he checked all the details they had on file, which were correct, and he then asked me if it was ok for two payments to be taken out the next month, which I was fine with.

That next month nothing happened again, so another phone call for another apology (from a female this time) and the promise to sort it out, but you guessed it nothing happened in the 3rd month either, so I thought what's the f****** point!

Sorry we didn't take your money. Meanwhile 1954 is basically this guy

Futurama Buy GIF

Punished myself by listening to the podcast of Bergman being interviewed yesterday by the world’s least insightful radio pairing of Dillon and Rucci. Bergman is a boring interviewee at all times. Says nothing of interest. But yesterday when asked if he had watched a replay of the 2004 GF, he admitted that he never had.

I just assumed these guys would have been made to watch, and would have wanted to watch, as a group full replays of our key moments in AFL and SANFL history. How else will they realise who they are playing for? I guess 5 min of Ginever on day 1 of their time at the club is all they need to know.

Appalling to think that these guys have never watched the SANFL GFs from the 80s-90s or at least 2004.
Any player drafted in the Hinkley era has probably been told that the club never had any success prior to 2013.

I just realised we're like one of those kitchen nightmares episodes where Gordon comes in and it's immediately obvious the manager is the problem, and they're all like "the staff aren't doing their jobs" and there's like 400 items on the menu and the chef is some stoner who dgaf.

Angry Gordon Ramsay GIF by Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours to Hell and Back's 24 Hours to Hell and Back
Solutions to every 'kitchen nightmare'

• Get the manager out of the kitchen
  • Simplify the menu
  • Fresh ingredients
Every now and then he might sack the chef or redecorate

Any player drafted in the Hinkley era has probably been told that the club never had any success prior to 2013.

Ken Hinkley's Port Adelaide est 2013

I just realised we're like one of those kitchen nightmares episodes where Gordon comes in and it's immediately obvious the manager is the problem, and they're all like "the staff aren't doing their jobs" and there's like 400 items on the menu and the chef is some stoner who dgaf.

Angry Gordon Ramsay GIF by Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours to Hell and Back's 24 Hours to Hell and Back

Gordon and Chris Davies

Angry Gordon Ramsay GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So my Wife finally got to speak with Stephen Shirley and give her side of the story with regards to his staff failing to notify us that there would be no player interaction due to the loss.
His response was that his staff said they did, so my Wife said she's not getting into a he said she said but that her final question of having a photo and the staff members answer of being player dependant doesnt support their narrative.

He told her the leadership group have been discussing it and looking at ways to improve the experience for the member as they'd never been called out on it before and acknowledged that every kid is different.

Apparently they wont be reporting me to the AFL as we cancelled our memberships, so to me that says the AFL's policy is only relevant if they can enforce punishment.

He said he hoped that our Daughter can heal and one day sit down and watch the team play.
He said he might send her something.

Fair dinkum, this could all have been avoided if Stephen had refrained from repeatedly threatening me with the AFL and prioritised the poorly run experience that a child was exposed to before the concern for his staff.

Had he said to me we acknowledge the shortcomings in the process for those unfortunate to be at a losing game and as a result we want to make it up to your Daughter, however, there is still the issue of how you spoke infront of our staff. I would have shown immediate remorse, asked what I could do to show how sorry and out of character it was and copped whatever sanction the AFL deemed appropriate and we would still be members if that was permissable.

I appreciate Stephens offer of sending something out to my Daughter, but in reality it is as hollow as the pre signed ball thats sitting on our kitchen table and hasnt been touched since Thursday night.
All she desired was to be made to feel special in that moment by having a player acknowledge her, speak to her, sign the ball for her and maybe have a photo with her.
Just to follow up on this.

So a parcel arrived today addressed to my Daughter from the club.
When she got home from School she opened it to find a nice note from the membership team and a signed and framed picture of her favourite player JHF with her name and thanking her for her support.

A huge THANKYOU to Jason and the club for taking the time to do that for her.

Its just a shame that she cant support JHF from the stands at AO anymore due to how this was originally managed.

When she got home from School she opened it to find a nice note from the membership team and a signed and framed picture of her favourite player JHF with her name and thanking her for her support.

Its just a shame that she cant support JHF from the stands at AO anymore due to how this was originally managed.
Brilliant, thanks for sharing. That's what should have happened straight away and I'm sure that if JHF was aware of it at the time that's exactly what he would have done.

Hopefully your daughter finds a way in time to get back to the footy.

Good to hear PenfoldsFan,
Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
It (along with Tredders) has inspired me to now share my experience with the club.
I have supported the club since 1966: and as a volunteer since 2011 as a trainer
with the Juniors, U18 (Premiers 2011) & U16, then the Magpies but I was asked to step
down 'cos they had young people for that via the Physio students.
But I was lucky to be accepted as a Magpies bench assistant support staff volunteer -
assist with drinks etc for subs for the last few years.
Until last year when I was diagnosed with myeloma (cancer of the blood/bone marrow)
and missed the whole year ending up with a stem cell transplant in August.
But I'm OK now, and volunteered my services for this season in January.
However I was told (indirectly...not by anyone in Admin, or even a Senior Co-ordinater,
but by a fellow volunteer who is a relative) that I am not required as they managed
without me last season and Covid is no longer a major issue etc.
My point is the club is heartless.
And management is very ordinary.
I have not been back to Alberton since, nor a Power game.
End of story.
Thanks bigfooty.

It (along with Tredders) has inspired me to now share my experience with the club.
I have supported the club since 1966: and as a volunteer since 2011 as a trainer
with the Juniors, U18 (Premiers 2011) & U16, then the Magpies but I was asked to step
But I was lucky to be accepted as a Magpies bench assistant support staff volunteer -
Until last year when I was diagnosed with myeloma (cancer of the blood/bone marrow)
However I was told (indirectly...not by anyone in Admin, or even a Senior Co-ordinater,
but by a fellow volunteer who is a relative) that I am not required as they managed
End of story.
Thanks bigfooty.
I wish I could be surprised by this.

End of story.
Thanks bigfooty.

Thanks magpies36.
Reading your experience is really heartbreaking mate, we wish you all the best in your recovery.

I struggle to understand how and why the club would chose to turn its back on people like yourself who have given so much to it.
I believe its when people are in their moment of need that their community should rally around them, not push them away as has happened here.
I really hope that guys like Tredders can get us all back on the right path and that one day you can return to the club and rekindle the passion.

Thanks magpies36.
Reading your experience is really heartbreaking mate, we wish you all the best in your recovery.

I struggle to understand how and why the club would chose to turn its back on people like yourself who have given so much to it.
I believe its when people are in their moment of need that their community should rally around them, not push them away as has happened here.
I really hope that guys like Tredders can get us all back on the right path and that one day you can return to the club and rekindle the passion.
Thanks PenfoldsFan
I must add that over the years all the players, including top-up Magpies, have been so appreciative
to the volunteers/support staff and go out of their way to say thanks (some think we're employees!)
Most of the coaches and other paid staff also appreciate...
But some of the people in Allan Scott HQ, get paid for 10 years, then get life membership and leave...
And yes, so much for "empowering communities in need"
Stay strong my friend.

I wish I could be surprised by this.
Yes,
It's been happening over the last 5-6 years, volunteers with longer service than me have been dumped.
It's so heartless.
And now it seems that the qualifying period for Life Membership for volunteers has been or may be raised
from 15 yrs to 25 yrs...but nobody in authority seems to know, or want to know, or find out, or care...

Last edited:
aah it's common for thinkers... as we write/talk we think...and pause...
and reflect...and trust we are not over the top or offending anyone...
Tredders is similar in the media when he stops...and is quiet...
most people just ramble on...thanks for your input...this is a true story...

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back